DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Add a Year Requirement for Dueling Challenges

Aviforma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aviforma
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent SPEW
Time and time again, we have been told dueling is now for graduates. Dueling at lower levels is simply pointless, as you will get killed in a single Vermillio. So, why do we allow younger years to attend challenges? All they do is slow the whole process down, and get one tapped for all their skill. Truly no point in them attending, is there?

Joshios

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joshios
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
A year requirement might not do much. I know graduates who have little gear and can be easily killed. Instead of a year requirement, they could do a health requirement? That just sounds more reasonable based on the context. I'm not exactly agreeing with this post, I am just saying this would be a better alterative if this were added.

Last edited:

Mallaidh

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: scarvlover
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
I don't see this as a good idea, as challenges and tournaments can be attended by everyone and that younger years should be allowed to attend and shouldn't be blocked from attending.

It's bad and harmful to see them as a waste of time for graduates, and there is a point - they have fun, and even if they don't do well in it they get a feel of what tournaments are like which can help them out with future tournaments and challenges when they have higher gear.

I have duelled in challenges and tournaments with people who have very little health and we still have fun, it's a nice thing to do together and it helps them get a feel for what tournaments are like.

During a duelling challenge, I shared a lot of useful information with a lower level who I now talk to often and I give lots of advice and guidance to. Attending challenges has helped them, even if they don't last very long.

It is very selfish to consider them a 'waste of time' to you, when attending challenges and tournaments does in fact benefit them.

Aviforma

Animorphus
It is a waste of time. We've been told on repeat that dueling is meant for graduates. No matter how skilled you are as a 4th year, you're getting killed in a singular hit by graduates. I do agree with the health requirement though, that seems like a better alternative.

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I don't necessarily think this should happen, but I agree that it is kinda a waste of time..

As a Graduate with ok gear (I have 6k health or smthin, not very good but its fine for me) I can ONE HIT people. VERY UNFAIRRR! Even tho I'm literal CRAP at dueling I can beat someone.

One time in housing a friend with NO gear wanted to duel me. I ended up spam killing them xD But they didn't care, we're friends (even after she said she thought it was funny). This other player... now... very annoyed me but... She told staff. VERY OTT! It was all for fun. If dueling and gear wasn't so broken this wouldn't have happened. wAs A bAd DaU

So yeah FIX GEAR AND THIS WONT NEED TO BE HAPPENED, HONESTLY

Sticktrees

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: SmellyBigBro
Dark Follower Griffin
I don't necessarily think this should happen, but I agree that it is kinda a waste of time..

As a Graduate with ok gear (I have 6k health or smthin, not very good but its fine for me) I can ONE HIT people. VERY UNFAIRRR! Even tho I'm literal CRAP at dueling I can beat someone.

One time in housing a friend with NO gear wanted to duel me. I ended up spam killing them xD But they didn't care, we're friends (even after she said she thought it was funny). This other player... now... very annoyed me but... She told staff. VERY OTT! It was all for fun. If dueling and gear wasn't so broken this wouldn't have happened. wAs A bAd DaU

So yeah FIX GEAR AND THIS WONT NEED TO BE HAPPENED, HONESTLY
You can one tap ppl who are lower year than you that has nothing to do with skill, but only with the gear you have compared to them.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
they have fun, and even if they don't do well in it they get a feel of what tournaments are like
During a duelling challenge, I shared a lot of useful information with a lower level who I now talk to often and I give lots of advice and guidance to. Attending challenges has helped them, even if they don't last very long.
From how I read your post these seem to be your main gripes, that for new players it is "fun", they get to feel what tournaments are like, and they get to meet new people after dueling which are all pretty fair points. My response is: what would differ if new players sit in the stands but not actively participate? They get to still see how a tournament would work, they can still meet all the graduates, and they can still have fun watching it play out (I don't know how much fun the 3 second period of dueling is for them so removing it would not make much of a difference imo).

Magma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: MagmaC4
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I not only think its a waste of time for grads, but a waste of time for the arena team and the lower years. A dueling challenge can easily last 1 - 2 hours depending on how many people join. And you don't even get a reward for 5th place in a class with 60 players. Also players who join the server for the first time see a class and don't even know that's the case and that they'll get 1 shot by someone whos 3 years above of them. I don't think its necessarily "fun" when you spend about 30 minutes dueling people who are about your level just to be 1 shot and given no prize.
You can still have these connections with players outside of dueling challenges. It doesn't depend on them being allowed into dueling challenges. Dueling challenges are structured so that the the best players always win. And those players won't be able to even reach near the top in a populated class. Dueling classes are still a thing, and they're pretty much as balanced as you could want them to be. And they are almost as frequent, if not more than dueling challenges.
It's bad and harmful to see them as a waste of time for graduates, and there is a point - they have fun, and even if they don't do well in it they get a feel of what tournaments are like which can help them out with future tournaments and challenges when they have higher gear.

I have duelled in challenges and tournaments with people who have very little health and we still have fun, it's a nice thing to do together and it helps them get a feel for what tournaments are like.
Like what I said above, its a waste of time for the arena team as well. Challenges are a time investment for everyone currently, especially the arena team. They have to record and track the placements of everyone dueling and it takes a long time. I barely see any lower years participate in dueling tournaments. Last time I did the opposing team (all grads) let them win the first two (took a while for them to kill them) then just obliterated them the 3 rounds after. I can tell you it wasn't much fun for the 10 people waiting to duel. The argument that they get help for future tournaments is flawed. The amount of time it takes to level up and get gear isn't fast whatsoever. When those lower years level up and get decent gear they have more than enough time to attend those dueling challenges with gear and see what its like to be in a tournament.
A year requirement might not do much. I know graduates who have little gear and can be easily killed. Instead of a year requirement, they could do a health requirement? That just sounds more reasonable based on the context. I'm not exactly agreeing with this post, I am just saying this would be a better alterative if this were added.
The amount of grads without gear decreases as time goes on. When it was the first month, yeah I could see that being a problem. But now its just a handful of people. Having a year requirement definitely would make a difference. It's also easier to check than health because its just one command away. Also the arena team doesn't have to check every single person that joins a class. They could just ask in chat for all the lower year to leave. And the ones that don't would probably be known to the arena team because PW has a pretty small community you pretty much know who is a higher year than others.

Maybe in the future gear won't matter than much. That doesn't mean we can't have this regulation now. Just like how dueling classes were mostly FFAs before Revelius. Then they changed to year FFAs. It doesn't take a whole system rework to add this or remove it.

Last edited:

Aviforma

Animorphus
I not only think its a waste of time for grads, but a waste of time for the arena team and the lower years. A dueling challenge can easily last 1 - 2 hours depending on how many people join. And you don't even get a reward for 5th place in a class with 60 players. Also players who join the server for the first time see a class and don't even know that's the case and that they'll get 1 shot by someone whos 3 years above of them. I don't think its necessarily "fun" when you spend about 30 minutes dueling people who are about your level just to be 1 shot and given no prize.

You can still have these connections with players outside of dueling challenges. It doesn't depend on them being allowed into dueling challenges. Dueling challenges are structured so that the the best players always win. And those players won't be able to even reach near the top in a populated class. Dueling classes are still a thing, and they're pretty much as balanced as you could want them to be. And they are almost as frequent, if not more than dueling challenges.

Like what I said above, its a waste of time for the arena team as well. Challenges are a time investment for everyone currently, especially the arena team. They have to record and track the placements of everyone dueling and it takes a long time. I barely see any lower years participate in dueling tournaments. Last time I did the opposing team (all grads) let them win the first two (took a while for them to kill them) then just obliterated them the 3 rounds after. I can tell you it wasn't much fun for the 10 people waiting to duel. The argument that they get help for future tournaments is flawed. The amount of time it takes to level up and get gear isn't fast whatsoever. When those lower years level up and get decent gear they have more than enough time to attend those dueling challenges with gear and see what its like to be in a tournament.

The amount of grads without gear decreases as time goes on. When it was the first month, yeah I could see that being a problem. But now its just a handful of people. Having a year requirement definitely would make a difference. It's also easier to check than health because its just one command away. Also the arena team doesn't have to check every single person to join a class. They could just ask in chat for all the lower year to leave. And the ones that don't would probably be known to the arena team because PW has a pretty small community you pretty much know who is a higher year than others.

Maybe in the future gear won't matter than much. That doesn't mean we can't have this regulation. Just like how dueling classes were mostly FFAs before Revelius. Then they changed to year FFAs. It doesn't take a whole system rework to add this or remove it.
this

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hey there!
Apologies for the delay, but I will bring up your idea to the other Poltergeists now!
Thanks for suggesting this to us and have a great day.
Best regards,
Aurora

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello again everyone,

We are pleased to inform you that this is something the Arena Team wants to work and implement at some time, but they don't know yet what form it will take, when it will happen or what the level (or other) cap will be. We understand the frustrations with this and want to make sure challenges are a fun experience for everyone attending. We think this could provide a further incentive to level up and get better gear (although gear is being worked on at the moment - check out threads like this one for more information) and there are still Dueling Classes for players below the "limit" to attend.
We hope this is understandable to everyone and once again, thank you for the suggestion and wonderful discussion!

Have a magical day!

Aviforma

Animorphus
If gear is removed from dueling, this suggestion should be voided. Lower levels can still be viable in a system without gear, as skill will determine the fate of the duel.

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Hello again everyone,

As we have decided to implement "Loadouts", we are declining this suggestion and not moving forward with it. Loadouts are pre-set selections of stats (including health, damage, cooldowns, etc) that you can select, thereby ignoring gear. However, spell trees will not be ignored, so higher levels with more spell points will still have an advantage.
We think Loadouts are the better alternative to a level requirement restricting access to challenges because we do not want to exclude a large group of players from certain gameplay. Instead, we hope that Loadouts will give everyone a chance to compete.

If anyone wants to help test Loadouts and give feedback on them, so that we can improve them, there is a public testing session happening tomorrow at 12pm PST, for which you can sign-up here!

Have a wonderful day everyone <3

Aviforma

Animorphus
Hello again everyone,

As we have decided to implement "Loadouts", we are declining this suggestion and not moving forward with it. Loadouts are pre-set selections of stats (including health, damage, cooldowns, etc) that you can select, thereby ignoring gear. However, spell trees will not be ignored, so higher levels with more spell points will still have an advantage.
We think Loadouts are the better alternative to a level requirement restricting access to challenges because we do not want to exclude a large group of players from certain gameplay. Instead, we hope that Loadouts will give everyone a chance to compete.

If anyone wants to help test Loadouts and give feedback on them, so that we can improve them, there is a public testing session happening tomorrow at 12pm PST, for which you can sign-up here!

Have a wonderful day everyone <3
Thank you for working on this change! I'm excited to see how loadouts are, as they seem like an effective solution to the issue.