DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Add Barrier Blocks to the Mine Depot

Should Barrier Blocks be added to the Mine Depot?

• Yes

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Magma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: MagmaC4
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW
It would pretty much function similar to where you left click or shift left click it to get it put in your inventory after you've placed it. I would like this to be added so people can fill in the custom item frame models without them being able to be walked into. It also allows for people to be more creative for their houses (such as parkours, mazes, and secrets). I don't think they would be that much of a problem if they get lost easily since you can bump into them and they have a block border if you look at them. If anything item frames are more easily lost because its just 4 pixels and you can't walk into it and it doesn't have a block border.

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I can see where you're coming from and would agree with it if there wasn't something that I think could be extremely bad about this idea: mazes. There are a good number of mazes that use barrier blocks as an added challenge (including the famous treasure maze) but the whole purpose of that would be defeated if players would be able to buy barrier blocks from the mine depot and use that to see where barrier blocks are in the maze.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
I can see where you're coming from and would agree with it if there wasn't something that I think could be extremely bad about this idea: mazes. There are a good number of mazes that use barrier blocks as an added challenge (including the famous treasure maze) but the whole purpose of that would be defeated if players would be able to buy barrier blocks from the mine depot and use that to see where barrier blocks are in the maze.
Barrier's test.png

Are you sure? In Minecraft survival if you hold barriers it just shows the outline, the exact same if you are holding nothing. I am pretty sure that is a creative mode only feature. In pw there are no outlines due to texture pack so there would be no advantage.

Last edited:

Magma

Animorphus
Oh yeah probably not mazes since everyone in housing can see the outline.

EDIT: 6 hours later and I realized I misread your message. I looked it up and this is what the minecraft wiki says "In creative mode, if a player is holding a barrier block in their hand, all placed barrier blocks display the barrier icon as a particle. This effect is client-side, and if a player holds a barrier block in survival, the particle does not appear."

Last edited:

nathan1e

Animorphus
Ah, apologies for my earlier message, I was under the impression that the same effect would take place in a non-creative gamemode.

If that's the case, then yes! I do hope this gets added :)

Last edited:

Max Fireheart

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Maxymoos
Griffin Phoenix
Honestly, I don't think barrier blocks should be added to the Mine Depot. From my prior knowledge, those who've contributed a lot to Potterworld do have access to build with barrier blocks/in creative (?) I think, and to me I don't think it's fair to take away a little special thing they get. It would also make housing more like a creative build server, and personally I like to see people's builds in survival.

Magma

Animorphus
From my prior knowledge, those who've contributed a lot to Potterworld do have access to build with barrier blocks/in creative (?) I think, and to me I don't think it's fair to take away a little special thing they get.
I don't really see how giving players the ability to use barrier blocks takes away from their builds. It's not like they were just given the barrier blocks, they were given the power to use pretty much any block they wanted. Barrier blocks aren't even that special. If it was something like the Droobledoll stand I could understand that, but barrier blocks are just not something that I would consider something that's specifically awarded to people for their contributions. And they're not really used for entirely cosmetic purposes, it's useful for making the item frame decorations not able to be phased through and being more creative with your housing.
It would also make housing more like a creative build server, and personally I like to see people's builds in survival.
Could you elaborate on this? I don't really get this point at all. Are you're talking about having blocks that aren't normally obtained in survival? If yes then I don't think that applies to really anything in housing at all. You buy all your materials with gold and you don't really get materials from a world. Plus a lot of things are retextured to have different models that can't be made in regular minecraft. I don't think that barrier blocks cross that line because it was already crossed when housing started. I can understand if you don't like barrier blocks in housing but that doesn't really mean that other people shouldn't either. It's all preference and you can choose not to use it, but people can choose if they want to.

nathan1e

Animorphus
Could you elaborate on this? I don't really get this point at all. Are you're talking about having blocks that aren't normally obtained in survival? If yes then I don't think that applies to really anything in housing at all. You buy all your materials with gold and you don't really get materials from a world. Plus a lot of things are retextured to have different models that can't be made in regular minecraft. I don't think that barrier blocks cross that line because it was already crossed when housing started. I can understand if you don't like barrier blocks in housing but that doesn't really mean that other people shouldn't either. It's all preference and you can choose not to use it, but people can choose if they want to.
I completely agree with this, but would just like to add that PW housing is nothing at all like a "survival build". As Magma said, you buy all of the sources and materials with in-game gold, heck, you can even unlock special fly mode to make building easier. But what's more is that you can purchase these supercool 3D models of all sorts of things, beds, chairs, sofas, a hog's head, TV screens, a fridge door. You can @ me on the day minecraft adds 3D models of hog's heads, but until then I think it's safe to say that PW housing offers a variety of materials unlinked in any way or form to the minecraft survival gamemode. For me the sole purpose of PW housing is for storage and to make something aesthetically pleasing to yourself (and perhaps to other people). A house or base in minecraft survival does not have the latter as a primary intention; it's intended to shield yourself from dangerous mobs, allow for storage but also to put down all of the crafting blocks you have and any good minecraft survival base also has farms. I see none of that in PW housing (except when people are hax0rs but we'll ignore those for the moment) so yeah I think it's safe to say PW housing is nothing even remotely like minecraft survival.

Max Fireheart

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Maxymoos
Griffin Phoenix
Yeah - my bad, I should have clarified what I meant. I realize now it sounded like I was speaking of the original Minecraft survival gameplay, though I meant what realistically happens in real life. Seeing housing plots created out of materials you can find in real life for me is super amazing to observe and watch, and although some might argue that barrier blocks don't take this factor away, I think that it does. You all can have your opinions, I'm just stating my personal preference. Just because I say something doesn't mean it's correct ;) In general though, I personally wouldn't want barrier blocks added to the server's Mine Depot. It could be seen as "magic", so if they were to be added, I would think they would be really expensive. Once again, that's just my opinion.

Zmiya

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Zmiy
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
I'm personally for this idea! I think barriers will allow for people to really express their creativity with their plot. It's not causing any harm to have them (I don't believe at least), so why not? I think adding them could encourage people to create parkours, mazes and other mini games on their housings for people to have fun with. Great idea!

Motionic

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Motionic
Dark Follower Griffin Vampire
Heya @Magma, thank you so much for submitting your suggestion! We truly value players ideas and opinions! I will bring up your idea with the other poltergeists and get some more feedback on this! I will get back to you with our decision once it has been reached. Have a wonderful day!

aaron ♡

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aarooncia
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Vampire Werewolf
It could be seen as "magic", so if they were to be added, I would think they would be really expensive.
Potterworld is a server based on magic. I don’t want this to seem like I’m contradicting your opinion, but in all fairness, if you don’t want them ingame, don’t use them. Comparing to what Head Staff/leads have used on their plots that are unobtainable to players are really only asts and 3D models. Barriers don’t defeat the uniqueness of that. And to be honest, there’s a lot of blocks I’d like to see added to housing. I was actually waiting for a mine depot block request as I didn’t want to type out a whole suggestion for 3-4 blocks. Something I’d love to see is Beacons (the lanterns) - of course they wouldn’t be able to be powered but beacons provide a very unique lighting effect and I’d love to use them at my housing.

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Hello, @Magma!

Thank you for your suggestion! Although, after some discussion, your suggestion has been declined because it would cause a multitude of issues, that would either have to be solved with custom tech or by having staff help players remove barrier blocks, which would cause more work. Barrier blocks are invisible and only the outline can be seen by players and they can only be removed in creative mode. Regardless of this, I hope you continue to create more ideas!

Have a wonderful day!