DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Add gender roles for the discord!

Cate

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Cateo
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
Hello all!!

I've been thinking about this for quite some time now, and thought it'd be time I bring it up! As someone who works in the mental health department, I've come to notice that using the wrong pronouns could be potentially hurtful, though it's a lot of times unintentional, it can happen from time to time. At the hotline I work at, I have a very frequent caller who has a deeply hard time with people believing her as a male, as she is trans, regarding pronouns. I have a few close friends who are either transgender or non-binary (my brother included regarding trans), and I've seen that using the wrong pronouns whether it was intentional or not can have quite an effect on their self esteem.

I propose that on the discord, there was new roles added! These roles would be the following:
-She/her

-She/they
-They/them
-He/her
-He/him
-He/they

-Non preferred

With these new roles, players wouldn't have to guess; and a lot of players, especially in the LGBTQ+ community would feel more welcome and free to be themselves and express who they are.

I sincerely hope you all are doing well and staying safe. Have a magical day! <3

-Cate (she/her)

Sunnya

Professor
Minecraft IGN: Sunnya
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
Poltergeist classifying this thread as "duplicate" in 3... 2... 1...
If there are duplicate threads, that's just what needs to be done! It makes it easier for people (including myself) to see where discussions are taking place and ensure that they aren't lost. If there are discussions and ideas being shared about the same idea but in multiple places, it's very likely that those ideas and discussions will not be seen. 🥺💕

Ashh

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: AzureAsh
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Game Designer Lead
Hey!

We really appreciate hearing your thoughts and we love that you have taken the time to make a suggestion to think about ways to better the server. This thread (and one that was made that was similar but less elaborated on) has unfortunately been declined. A lot of time and thought went into this decision and it was well considered.

It is very likely that people would misuse a system like this, and this could offend those who take gender and pronouns seriously. We would not want to risk something like this happening. It would be very difficult for us to be inclusive of everyone and those who are not represented could feel excluded and become upset about this. This could also lead to people feeling forced to categorise themselves as a particular gender, when they might be unsure what they identify as.

If you would like to look at a more informative explanation of why this was declined, feel free to look at this thread!

Cate

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Cateo
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
Ah makes sense. Thank you so much for your feedback on this, I hope you’re doing well!!💚