DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

An Explosive Investigation - Analysis

OcelotGuardian

Magician
Minecraft IGN: OcelotGuardian
Honeybadger Dark Follower Werewolf
On November 20th, the Lorekeeper’s Compendium was destroyed in an explosion. Players were able to explore the Compendium to discover hidden information.

This is a list of important dialogue and item descriptions from the Lorekeeper’s Compendium, as well as my analysis of the event.

Present Day:
Armillary Sphere: This device is a model of the stars and planets, the constellations shimmering before you. Notably, you can see that Jupiter, Saturn, and the star Regulus are all aligned. Sirius and Betelgeuse are at odds, and the dwarf planet Eris looms above them all.

Notable Organizations:

Phoenixes

Leader: Joshua Pendragon

Inner Circle Members: Andreu Zoldyck, Arabella Pendragon

The Phoenixes are a group of vigilantes who fight for the peace and justice of the people. They lack the lawfulness of the Aurorlocks and the more aggressive maneuvers used by the Dark Followers.

Aurorlocks

Leader: Matt Griffiths

Officials: Rani Lightwood

The Aurorlocks are the offensive force under the authority of the Ministry of Magicians. They fight for the protection and well-being of the law, no matter the costs.

Werewolf Pack

Leader: Kade Everard

Inner Circle Members: (Formerly) Callie Selwyn

Werewolves are a group of individuals infected with Lycanthropy that fights for voices of their people. They are commonly misunderstood by the subsections of society as monsters or as uncontrollable beasts.

Vampire Clan

Leader: Chailey Selwyn

Inner Circle Members: Aure Pendragon

Vampires are a community that is infected with Vampirism that fights for equality and their right. The vampires work with each other to protect and defend themselves. They aim to create an area where vampires can be safe and protected.

Crestello Files: You reach down and pick up a small file folder off the top of a stack of papers. Across the front, in faded writing, you can make out “The Crestellos”. The edges are singed and there appear to be missing papers. Many words are scratched out and there are holes through multiple pages. The contents of the file are very difficult to make out.

We are the Crestellos… he founded our organization during… very few know of our true origin… it is located… you need the code… hidden in the compendium… The four-digit code is…

Crystal Ball Gazing: As you peer into the shiny crystal ball, you focus in on the clouds that form in the sphere. You sense that the lighting around you has dimmed, and the calming scent of burning wood.

Torn Textbook Pages: …Many believe peace is a certainty, history tells us it is very much not so… Empires rise and fall every day. We would like to believe that Wizardkind is peaceful, kind and caring… The Vampires and Werewolves could show you the scars to prove that that’s wrong… The countless children growing up without parents after the first and second wizarding wars would tell you that’s wrong… The Giant War, the Goblin War… The Fall of Camelot… Magic breeds power. Power invites challenge. Challenge leads to war… to destruction…

Crestello Vault Key: A polished silver key, with a stylized “G” etched on its side.

Secret Files: Among the papers is a list detailing inconsistencies between certain historical records.

Joel Crestello: Reportedly born outside London. No Birth Certificate available.

Pendragons: Grimlott records show presence of Pendragon vault dating back centuries. No names of any Pendragon wizards can be found until the 21st Century.

Merlin: History books report Merlin as a student of Hosgworth in the Serpent House. Scarce records indicate he lived 400 years before Hogsworth’s founding.

Cracked Staircase Notes: Zelus was often seen as the minor. He longed to be greater than those around him; to push the limits of greatness to the top. While most associated him with the sins of our world, I see no other possibility from his actions. It is this world’s greatest mistake to protagonize the weak and antagonize the powerful. When the fate of humanity may arise, only the true leaders shall take the spotlight.

Temporal Shard (before traveling back in time): The user is able to travel to a specific moment in time, and only able to see and hear what happened in that moment. The user is not able to permanently affect anything.

Firedust Powder (without using the Aurorlock Eye): A small pile of firedust lies on the curtain, perhaps there’s a magical object that allows the user to get a closer look?

Firedust Powder (using the Aurorlock Eye): You peer through the Aurorlock Eye as the firedust begins to twist and turn, revealing a message in the dust…

THEY LIED

SHE DIED

SOONER OR LATER

YOU’LL ALL HAVE TO PICK A SIDE

Crestello Vault (visible with the Vault Key in your inventory): It appears that even with the Crestello vault key, the door remains sealed shut by powerful enchantments…

In the Past (the day before the explosion):
Between a pair of Aurorlocks:

Ashton Owens: They said that the report was a suspicious feeling around the building. What is that even supposed to mean?

Nyla Spencer: We have been looking for hours Ashton, I think it’s clear. We should just head out.

Rania Wilkinson (a Werewolf): Come on… There’s got to be something in here. Hundreds of years worth of knowledge and not a darn thing about lycanthropy? There’s got to be another cure, there has to be… We haven’t come this far to lose.

Between two workers at the Compendium:

Robert Robinson: Miss Castillo, is it just me or is there something strange in the air today? I can’t seem to pinpoint it, but something just… feels off.

Maisy Castillo: No sir, I am getting that feeling as well. I just hope that it’s nothing dangerous.

Between a Vampire and a Dark Follower:

Malachi Strickland (Vampire): I can’t believe that you are helping them. The werewolves of all people.

Zanila Acosta (Dark Follower): Rania asked me for help researching for a cure. She has been my friend since 4th year Malachi. Stop being ridiculous.

Malachi Strickland: Was your help in the war feigned as well? Can we even trust the Dark Followers at this point?

Zanila Acosta: No, it wasn’t at the time. However, maybe we should reconsider our loyalties after this display.

Between two Pub Employees:

Polly White: These notes are really interesting, I wonder if Flamel had any more other than these. I can’t believe these were just released today!

Miles Knight: Yeah, I am really glad we made it over here to see these. Seeing new content at the compendium is my favorite thing to do when on break from the pub.

Between two Phoenixes:

Enya Bently: Cyrus, have you gotten the maps yet? We need to hurry.

Cyrus Bently: Yes I got them, now let’s get out of here.We should report our findings.

Xander Escurum (a Dark Follower): …He asked me… I can’t find.. which one? …books.. so many.. so much… there are thousands of years of information.
Temporal Shard: This temporal shard originated during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries, when the temporal turners were destroyed during the fight. The turners became stuck in an endless look of falling, and when a Dark Follower attempted to break them with magic, 15 shards of glass split off from the loop. They were unsuccessful in the act of getting rid of the temporal turners; however, they were successful in stealing them. The temporal shards were unaccounted for until the Aurorlocks attacked the Dark Follower and Phoenix bases. When 8 of the shards were found they were hidden away by the Ministry. It’s unknown as to what happened to the other 7 shards, but it’s possible that they were used. Though there are said to be 15 shards in all, there might be more out in the world, waiting to be discovered.

Retired Textbooks: These bookcases hold decades of memories from all across the wizarding world. Various retired textbooks from Hogsworth, Beauxbois, and Dormunstrad line the shelves. With worn pages and ripped covers, they have clearly seen better days.

Nicolas Flamel’s Notes:

March 22nd, 1418

[illegible]

After years of searching, I believe I’ve finally found what I’ve been after. A power greater than any one man, more priceless than gold. This changes everything. However, I fear for my safety. Those around me have become suspicious of my activities, and may try to harm me to gain its power. So I’ll disappear. Vanish into the night. Fear not, I’ll be alright. I’ll talk to you soon enough.

~N. Flamel

Crystal Ball Gazing: Your gaze focuses on the crystal ball in front of you, and at first nothing appears. You remember that singing and repeating chants is supposed to cleanse the ball, so you do so until you are sure it is cleansed…

Explosives (found underground): As you glance around the room, various explosives are scattered across the shelves and floor. Bundles of dynamite are surrounded by crates of gunpowder. A bitter smell of sulfur fills the air. You touch the surface of the crate and realize the room has a light layer of black dust. You ponder to yourself if the knowledge you have gained could give insight into the attack.

Analysis:
Joel Crestello caused the explosion. He attempted to cause a gas explosion in the courtroom during the Werewolf Rights Rally, so he changed methods and stockpiled explosives underneath the Compendium. The Crestello Files were damaged and Joel’s birth certificate was nowhere to be found. However, Joel’s birth certificate was not destroyed in the explosion. Joel’s birth certificate was found, albeit vandalized, at the destroyed Dark Follower base – it was known as the Dark Lord’s Papers. Joel made sure to destroy information pertaining to himself. He wants to metaphorically start his life over again. Before the explosion occurred, Nicholas Flamel’s Notes were stolen. They pertained to the Philosopher’s Stone. The Philosopher’s Stone is used to create the Elixir of Life – Joel is afraid of death; he wants to become immortal. He attacked the Compendium the day after Flamel’s notes were released. This shows how desperate Joel was to find a way to avoid death.

There are multiple omens of war and danger throughout the Compendium, the first of which being the crystal ball in both the past and present. The crystal ball color turns from black and dark red, to light red. Red indicates impending danger, and black clouds symbolize unlucky omens. Many people knew of the war between the Phoenixes and Dark Followers, but had not known of the planned Phoenix base attack at the time. The second omen was the Armillary Sphere. Regulus conjunct with Jupiter foretells high preferment of a military nature, high positions, positions of trust, and power. Regulus conjunct with Saturn foretells gain through speculation and high position. This may have foretold Noah’s rise to power through the Dark Duel, as he is the most militant of the competitors. Eris, the conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter, and the appearance of the star Betelgeuse hinted at the war between the Phoenixes and Dark Followers: Eris is named after the Greek goddess of strife and discord; Saturn-Jupiter conjunctions were frequently connected to apocalyptic prophecies; war and carnage are foretold by Betelgeuse. The third omen of war is the firedust message. The message said that “SOONER OR LATER / YOU’LL ALL HAVE TO PICK A SIDE”. This is clearly warning the reader of impending war. The torn textbook pages also foreshadow the war and the reason behind it – the Phoenixes and Dark Followers being threatened by the other’s existence because of the power they wield.

The staircase notes describing Zelus describes Noah’s rise to power, as well as his attitude towards the world. Zelus was a deity in Greek mythology. He was the personification of dedication, emulation, eager rivalry, envy, jealousy, and zeal. Zelus was a winged enforcer who was part of Zeus’ group of advisors. Noah was originally the Dark Baron – an advisor to the Dark Lord; he has little power compared to others, such as his brother. Noah and Sara overthrew Joel, the previous Dark Lord, and led the Dark Followers themselves. During this time, Noah showed that he was a more aggressive leader than Sara, and therefore believed that he was stronger and more worthy to lead the Dark Followers. This was evident during the Dark Duel, where he mocked Sara for believing that she could win, as well as insisting that she was “always meant to serve the Dark Throne”. Noah does share traits with Zelus: both are dedicated and zealous. Zelus also represents eager rivalry, of which Noah has with the Phoenixes.

The secret files documenting Merlin connect to the papers found in the destroyed Phoenix base. Joshua’s notes said that “He could not have been a Serpent, he lived 400 years before Hogsworth!”. This also adds credibility to the Compendium’s recordkeeping. Records documenting the Pendragon family are most likely missing because Joshua took them to the Phoenix base to study.

The maps Enya and Cyrus retrieved from the Compendium were needed to find what Joshua was looking for in the old Phoenix Base – the whereabouts of King Arthur and the Holy Grail.

The description of the Temporal Turner makes note of three numbers: 15, 8, and 7. All three of these numbers have significance, but may or may not be relevant at this time. The number 15 represents spiritual harmony. Harmony turned to discord during the War of the Department of Mysteries, when the temporal turner was broken. The number 8 represents building and destruction. The Ministry, or anyone who finds the remaining shards, can either build the world up or destroy themselves. The number 7 represents completeness or perfection. I’m not entirely sure is there’s any significance in this, but it’s something I felt I should note.

The Vampires and the Werewolves aren’t so different in their ideologies. They both fight for equality and the safety of their own.