DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Common Room Revamp / Update (INDEPTH)

Jaakkee

New Magician
COMMON ROOMS ARE BORING!

It's no secret that the average player visits their own common room less than 5 times, mostly for the initial quest.
Common rooms are a huge part of the HP story and feeling and therefore should be given more meaning and use.
Here are some Ideas myself and players came up with ingame.

- Making House Common Rooms only enterable for members of that house - Common Rooms are for the house they belong to.
players should not be able to enter other peoples common rooms as easily. Maybe make different secret routes or other entrees to them,
this would make people more curious about other common rooms and more interested to visit them. This could be things like, Passwords to enter, Secret paintings, passageways and many more cool things.

- Adding MORE USE to your own Common Room - Common Rooms could be used to collect rewards such as Voting Reward, Daily Reward, minigames and Daily XP. These can normally be collected in /me. However by adding a EXCLUSIVE way to receive them in
the common room would make people more likely to go there and enjoy them.

- Quests?? - Another idea would be to add House-Specific quests in their common rooms. These don't have to be big things but could be 1 for every 10 Levels you get in game. These quests could be similar for all house common rooms but just swapping the names and locations for them (in order to keep it fair between houses). For Example, a Raven could goto their raven common room every 10 levels they hit (10,20,30, etc) and there would be a house master or house member NPC that would ask them to retrieve a specific Raven item or just a house members item. This could reward gold, xp and maybe even house points / AC. Regardless of the reward it is something I believe would make people enjoy the playthrough much more. The quests are side-missions are don't affect the main storyline.

- Minigames?? - Minigames in your house common room would also draw people and FUN! Being able to go to your common room and partake in GRIFFIN TOWER CLIMB or SERPENT SLIDE RACE (random mingame ideas/names) would be a fun way to engage people in their common rooms and get them more hyped about their houses.

- Shops?? - Having HOUSE Specific shops selling robes, wands or any items that are house specific would make people more enthusiastic about their house. EVen the little thing create Hype and altogether give a more wholesome feeling to the Housing System.

- inter-house games?? - Having inter-house competitions and games would enable RIVALRY and fun between houses and players! games such as Races, Crafting Races and etc would enable houses to become a more vital and more ESSENTIAL part of the game.

There are many more options and features that could be added, but common rooms need to be changed and made better, most players agree with that at least.

Thanks, Jake.

gregoryvalyrian

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: GregoryValyrian
Raven
You're totally right!
Common rooms deserve more love!
They are always empty and they should be filled with students at all times.

Maybe we can make common rooms warps that are just all on 1 server so that all people in every world dont go to their common room at the same time in another world but really see eachother in that one warped common room world. Common rooms might also become a bit bigger in the warped version because some common rooms are way bigger than others atm, ofc because of the restrictions we understand, but the warped world one wouldnt have this problem, right?

Adding these 1 per 10 level NPC's would definitely already liven the place up because you wouldnt be alone even if you went in alone. I love that idea.

I'm also a really big fan of the idea that not each house can enter one another. The revelius update creates opportunities to have sneakways and paths to get into other common rooms. Maybe make it a minigame where the prefect of that house you're infiltrating cannot see you or you have to restart? Imagine having to fly above the griffins tower and enter via their chimney, reductamus their fireplace to even be able to get in. Or one of the many portraits in the Great Staircase that now might not have a use can be appareo'd into to reveal an underground tunnel towards the Snakes common rooms where you enter via their bathroom mirror ;D.

Maybe to connect the use of revelius to exploring and your common room a bit more there could be secret portraits, passageways and more things like that added. I always feel great when I discover a new secret passageway for sure. If these connect to handy places that you have to pass a lot you'd always want to return to base when you start your exploration!! Right?

Having some more inter house competition that also brings house member together like "studying in the common room" or "floo powder minigame (where each house brews floo powder and the winning house of each week gets some floo powder for free in their mail or something)" With some HP connected to them to make it worth the competition.

There was a suggestion in game to have your /me objectives etc only be handed in via the common rooms, I like that as well.

Someone also suggested a sort of inter active companion (interactive pet) house mate. This sounds fun but ofcourse would take a bit longer to realise.

I know this is a big list but these are just suggestions to what I think are important based off of the things I already love about the game. Like exploring with revelius etc, brewing...

TY for reading :)

Hoeqq

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: simpingforjay
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire SPEW
I agree with this 100% I know the first quest you get on the game is at your common room but that's about the only time I've ever visited it unless I was helping new players, this would be amazing to have and I'd find it more enjoyable to play, don't get me wrong I love PW but this would be so fun, and maybe there could be a shop like they have in events to trade in a currency (house coins) to get house only items that you earn in mini games or house competitions!

FlatJambo

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: FlatJambo
Honeybadger Auralock
I personally LOVE my common room and would definitely enjoy more activities that revolve around common rooms, like the secret passageways and house-specific quests.

I love most of the ideas except for a few, like the one where players from other houses are not allowed to enter common rooms that are not their own. I believe that players should be able to visit and see other houses' common rooms since they are built so well. Also, a few quests would have to be scrapped since there are quests that make players go to all common rooms.

Also, I think house robes should be free. In the movies and books, everyone has uniforms/robes. Shouldn't that apply to Potterworld? It promotes unity and makes you look extremely snazzy while showing off your house pride.

gregoryvalyrian

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: GregoryValyrian
Raven
I personally LOVE my common room and would definitely enjoy more activities that revolve around common rooms, like the secret passageways and house-specific quests.

I love most of the ideas except for a few, like the one where players from other houses are not allowed to enter common rooms that are not their own. I believe that players should be able to visit and see other houses' common rooms since they are built so well. Also, a few quests would have to be scrapped since there are quests that make players go to all common rooms.

Also, I think house robes should be free. In the movies and books, everyone has uniforms/robes. Shouldn't that apply to Potterworld? It promotes unity and makes you look extremely snazzy while showing off your house pride.
Hi,
I kind of understand that common rooms being more house-only might seem like a bad thing, but you talk about things being authentic to the books/movies and griffins in ravens common rooms and vice versav is certainly not that :LOL:.

Of course you would still be able to see the amazing common room builds (because I talk about the secret passages to sneak into the other common rooms), I wouldnt want permanent closing off either. Some quests would have to be altered yes, but this creates opportunity for so many new quests!
I'm not a staff member but for example: (I'm a Raven so it's my POV)
A new mpc called 'Raven prefect' wants to talk to you in one of your years at Hogsworth.
Someone stole his prefect badge while he was eating in the Grand hall. Go back to the Great Hall and search for traces of who did this. And as the quest continues you follow bread crums to the Badger or Serpent common rooms but you cannot get in, you don't have the password and the npc student nearby you talk to refuses to tell you. After competing a small task for you own house ghost they tell you about a secret (they would know they're ghosts) passageway for example to use ascendio on a unicorn portrait in the Grand Staircase or something. and you'd end up entering the Serpent common room via f.e. a bathroom mirror (which could be one of the serpent common rooms secret passageways to important locations to explore hogsworth as I mentioned, I would love 4 of these secret passages to make common rooms more used) and there you find in one of the trunks next to a bed your prefects badge and you return it, QUEST COMPLETED

I would love that!

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
I like every single idea here, but I'm not that sure about the minigames. Aren't the default minigames struggling with playercount already ?

Anyway, as I said, great ideas to make the castle more alive

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I like every single idea here, but I'm not that sure about the minigames. Aren't the default minigames struggling with playercount already ?

Anyway, as I said, great ideas to make the castle more alive
Yeah - things like a house parkour would be cool to have in ur common room tho (i mean you access it in the common room but it's in a diff world like all other parkours :))

Keira :D

Professor
Minecraft IGN: ohBelle_
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire
Personally, I love this idea! My house (The Ravens Common) is my personal favorite one, but it def needs more love. If we are lucky, maybe 2-3 people are in it at a time, i've seen like 5 MOST because of rping but thats it. I really think the common rooms deserve more love

sewerratss

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: sewerratss
Dark Follower Raven Vampire
This is an ADORABLE idea that I would totally love to see! It would make the PW world seem way more alive. I REALLY hope this gets accepted.

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Heyo, @Jaakkee!

I’ll have your suggestion be brought up to the rest of the team and discuss things from there. I’ll get back to you soon with a response!

Have a nice day!

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Hiya @Jaakkee!

Sorry for the wait! Thank you again for making this suggestion, as we're always looking for ways to improve the server and make it fun and fair for everyone. I'd like to inform you that your suggestion has been partially accepted, as we already have some plans for common rooms. However, we are currently focused on delivering content for the entire server, so we would rather put our time and resources into this first. Because of this, house-specific content will be revisited at a later date.

Thank you again and I hope you have a great day!