DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Athena (Dismana)

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Dismana
Auralock Phoenix Raven Linked
Background
So I recently decided to see what minigames yielded the best results when it comes to Event Tokens and also the current School Spirit. This was done by grinding an unhealthy amount of minigames trying to see if it made sense to try and master a specific gamemode and even the harder difficulties. After finding the META (Most Effective Tactic Available) for each of the different gamemodes I dedicated some time to crunch the value that one proficient at the gamemodes would be able to reap for themselves.

I allowed myself to practice them until I had a good grasp on it, so all the runs are done by me except for the parkour, which I've gotten numbers from government_h, Then I dedicated myself 1 hour to do Dropper, Elytra and Ice Skating, as well as 10 runs in the maze taking the average time and using it to see how many runs it would be in an hour, same procedure was instructed to gov to keep them consistent.

Minigames Selected as the META was:
Dropper: Down the Pit (Medium)
Elytra: Down the Waterfall (Medium)
Maze: Secrets of Castelomagia (Medium)

Parkour: Kitchen Quarters (Easy)
Ice Skating: Cherry Blossom Ice River (Medium)

The results came out as following:
Elytra being the best.
Dropper and Parkour tied for second, with more consistency percentage on the Dropper.
Maze taking the fourth placement.
And Ice Skating in dead last.

I've also gotten to the point of grinding instead of doing things I also wanted to do, just to stay competitive with a few others, this is mainly due to School Spirit being just as grindy as the Event Tokens.

The Issues I see myself
First issue that comes to my mind is that the minigames yield different rewards for the same time commitment, and your favorite can be left to be more than half as efficient as another gamemode.

Second is that the harder difficulties does reward more, typically no more than double a medium difficulty activity of the same category, but also requires more than double the time investment in most cases. Catelomagia could be speedran down to about a minute for 9 Event Tokens, while I've been told that the Magic Maze can take upwards of 10+ minutes if you know how to do it for 30 Event Tokens.

Lastly the grindy nature of getting School Points equal to your event tokens from minigames makes the competition tailored towards those who has more time to put into the minigames rather than the activities around the event hub as well as the wizarding world. I completely stopped on May the Fourth despite not being done, just to attempt to be somewhat competitive within my own school.

Suggestions going forward
Disclaimer that these are my suggestions going forward, and is my perspective on feedback that I wanna offer to the staff team to improve and evolve the server. It is ultimately up to the staff what goes through!

That said I'd like as many player views on this as possible, so pick your favorite and let's have a good discussion.

Solution 1 adresses the unhealthy grinds (like these 1 hour sessions I've made) doing the same activity over and over, and is mostly targeted at the competition (School Spirit) rather than the Event Tokens.
Activity Points: every hour you're awarded 1 Activity Point (Online or not) up to a maximum of 10. If you already have 10 you must spend 1 Activity Point in order for the 1 hour timer to start counting. Important to note that these are added passively, and does not require you to claim them manually! They can be accompanied by a timer that tells you when the next Activity Point is available while in minigames, but is certainly not necessary.

At the end of each minigame is a Reward NPC, which would give you 2 options:
- Get Event Tokens (Free)
- Get Event Tokens + School Spirit (Costs 1 Activity Point)

The solution allows you to choose the activities that grant you the most points personally and then spend the remaining time doing something else, e.g. the minigames you like, the remaining of the May the Fourth Event, take a break etc. and also allows you to spend the morning doing 10 minigames, log off and not have to worry that someone can grind at your spot for the next 10 hours, as by then you've gotten another 10 Activity Points to do 10 new minigames in the evening. This solution keeps the ability to grind Event Tokens while limiting the amount of School Spirit you can obtain to a certain point, still rewarding those who log in regularly.

Solution 2 adresses the balance at which you gain Event Tokens, making sure that the minigames keep up with the META.
Knowing the if the Castelomagia Maze can be run in 1 minute, and the Magic Maze can take 10+ minutes, the reward can be 10 fold, and even have a cooldown similar to what the Treasure Maze had, so that you're sure you can only claim the reward every 10 minutes. Knowing how long things takes on average is not an instant process and will take time, which is also why balancing the Event Tokens you can get on a more regular basis is an ongoing process that can take place inbetween events. This solution keeps the grindy nature, but tries to reward those who wanna challenge themselves with harder challenges while keeping easier options competetive with the hard ones, instead of feeling the rewards get worse.

For a clean overview of the numbers in my experiments, see the attachment.

MinigamesNumbers.png

Let me know which solution you prefer if any, and if you have a 3rd one perhaps? Even if you prefer to keep things the same I'd love to hear your opinion! I look forward to a good discussion among the players and staff alike who've tried their hand at the minigames and experinced the event. I would love to hear both from those who enjoy the grind but also those who don't have the time to grind more than perhaps 2 hours or less a day.

Let your magic show in the wide wide world!
-Athena Moonwish (Dismana)

Honey_Dwarf1

Archivist
Minecraft IGN: Honey_Dwarf1
Phoenix Raven Linked
personally disagree, this event could be considered grindy if you're after the droobledoll. Equally, every event could be considered grindy if you're trying to be the person who reaches the very top score, as this is basically only achieved by constantly grinding minigames. I think that if you're going to try and compete against everyone else, a competition can only be achieved by the commitment to the event. Taking your activity point idea, this would mean everyone gets the same amount of school spirit every 10 hours. So you would almost certainly find that many people would have almost the same score, and it becomes impossible to catch up (obviously now it's also basically impossible to catch up, i just don't think this would improve anything)
the event also becomes a thing where you log on for 20 minutes, do exactly the same things, then log off and go do something else, coming back later, which imo gets kind of boring. sure, you could grind event tokens but there becomes much less motivation.

as an aside note, i have to question why the cherry blossom ice skating is rated at medium and gives more ET than the castelomagia one? castelomagia takes longer and is in my opinion more difficult. but thats irrelevant.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Linked
personally disagree, this event could be considered grindy if you're after the droobledoll. Equally, every event could be considered grindy if you're trying to be the person who reaches the very top score, as this is basically only achieved by constantly grinding minigames. I think that if you're going to try and compete against everyone else, a competition can only be achieved by the commitment to the event. Taking your activity point idea, this would mean everyone gets the same amount of school spirit every 10 hours. So you would almost certainly find that many people would have almost the same score, and it becomes impossible to catch up (obviously now it's also basically impossible to catch up, i just don't think this would improve anything)
the event also becomes a thing where you log on for 20 minutes, do exactly the same things, then log off and go do something else, coming back later, which imo gets kind of boring. sure, you could grind event tokens but there becomes much less motivation.

as an aside note, i have to question why the cherry blossom ice skating is rated at medium and gives more ET than the castelomagia one? castelomagia takes longer and is in my opinion more difficult. but thats irrelevant.

100% correct on the ice skating, and I do tend to agree on the activity points.
But mazes really do need a buff, its sorta sad RN. Elytras are so much more lag dependent for me which is just painful.

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf Linked
Okay after our discussion on discord, here are some things I want to comment on.
The results came out as following:
Elytra being the best.
Dropper and Parkour tied for second, with more consistency percentage on the Dropper.
Maze taking the fourth placement.
And Ice Skating in dead last.
This distribution does seem logical at first glance, with elytra being higher than it should. But as you mentioned after, the difficulties are not really accounted for and that's something PW always struggled to address.
Lastly the grindy nature of getting School Points equal to your event tokens from minigames makes the competition tailored towards those who has more time to put into the minigames rather than the activities around the event hub as well as the wizarding world. I completely stopped on May the Fourth despite not being done, just to attempt to be somewhat competitive within my own school.
I believe Daisy addressed this nicely, if you are trying to achieve the top spot with such competition, it's gonna be a boring grind no matter what limitations you add. I generally think this kind of competition (purely grinding something) shouldn't be hosted at all. This even goes for minigame competitions like Quabbleball or seasonal ones.
Activity points do allow some relaxation, but it would still be a daily grind in a long run (Again, Daisy said that too) and objectively wouldn't improve that aspect.
Solution 2 adresses the balance at which you gain Event Tokens, making sure that the minigames keep up with the META.
Obviously I agree, balancing of the rewards is horrible and like I said above, PW always struggled with that.
We talked about this idea on discord but I believe a formula should be created that accounts for difficulty, minigame type, required time and the base amount of ETs. If such formula is well made, GD can stop worrying about rebalancing the rewards every time they create a new event or minigame.
Another idea we discussed is having really huge taskboard rewards (for example, do 100 medium elytras in a week for 5000 tokens) so that it creates a healthier distribution of points earned by grinding, as well as possibly rewarding skill.
And yet another idea I had, which doesn't have to do with the competition, but could help with grindy nature of events is to give people a big reward for the first time they complete a minigame. This motivates people to try to complete all minigames that exist and actually get rewarded for doing so, over just grinding the one that's most likely over rewarded and easy. And obviously you will be able to continue to grind them if you wish, for the standard reward.[/QUOTE]

HektorTM

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: HektorTM
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Addressing the activity points idea:
I believe we've seen this at a past butterbrew event where we got X amount of game tickets to play the minigames every couple hours. This makes it(in my opinion) so you play those activities really quick and then you don't have anything else to do which can essentially lead to players just leaving after they're done with their activities.
Additionally, I believe anyone can potentially get the most out of an event if you find your own play style. Sure, someone might be after the big 1st place reward but that doesn't mean that everyone has to do that! Anyone can just relax at an event and if they don't want to grind for one specific big goal they can just go slow at it and see where it gets them!

That's my thought on it, gotta appreciate all the effort you made for this post tho!

~ Hektor

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Linked
Okay after our discussion on discord, here are some things I want to comment on.

This distribution does seem logical at first glance, with elytra being higher than it should. But as you mentioned after, the difficulties are not really accounted for and that's something PW always struggled to address.

I believe Daisy addressed this nicely, if you are trying to achieve the top spot with such competition, it's gonna be a boring grind no matter what limitations you add. I generally think this kind of competition (purely grinding something) shouldn't be hosted at all. This even goes for minigame competitions like Quabbleball or seasonal ones.
Activity points do allow some relaxation, but it would still be a daily grind in a long run (Again, Daisy said that too) and objectively wouldn't improve that aspect.

Obviously I agree, balancing of the rewards is horrible and like I said above, PW always struggled with that.
We talked about this idea on discord but I believe a formula should be created that accounts for difficulty, minigame type, required time and the base amount of ETs. If such formula is well made, GD can stop worrying about rebalancing the rewards every time they create a new event or minigame.
Another idea we discussed is having really huge taskboard rewards (for example, do 100 medium elytras in a week for 5000 tokens) so that it creates a healthier distribution of points earned by grinding, as well as possibly rewarding skill.
And yet another idea I had, which doesn't have to do with the competition, but could help with grindy nature of events is to give people a big reward for the first time they complete a minigame. This motivates people to try to complete all minigames that exist and actually get rewarded for doing so, over just grinding the one that's most likely over rewarded and easy. And obviously you will be able to continue to grind them if you wish, for the standard reward.
I really like both of these ideas to increase diversity of play.

I don't have an issue with elytra being the most rewarding, it is the least consistent (besides maybe droppers, but a dropper meta sounds like a nightmare). I would love if there was major rewards for doing an easy/medium maze 200 times, doing 200 elytras etc per week. Variety makes the grind feel better. Fun fact! The most efficient way to grind is just spamming the elytra and going to order up in the last minute and leaching off of it. Repeat this for 20 hours. Enjoy~

In terms of what I would like to see be "meta", feel free to disagree. The idea is basically how reliable/skill based it is + dropper at the end bc i hate dropers and its my list.

Elytra > Parkour/Skating > Maze > Dropper

That being said, I don't think Elytras (or one specific course really), should be almost 2x better than mazes.

cheddarsoup

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: cheddarsoup
Auralock Phoenix Serpent Werewolf Linked
Addressing the activity points idea:
I believe we've seen this at a past butterbrew event where we got X amount of game tickets to play the minigames every couple hours. This makes it(in my opinion) so you play those activities really quick and then you don't have anything else to do which can essentially lead to players just leaving after they're done with their activities.
Additionally, I believe anyone can potentially get the most out of an event if you find your own play style. Sure, someone might be after the big 1st place reward but that doesn't mean that everyone has to do that! Anyone can just relax at an event and if they don't want to grind for one specific big goal they can just go slow at it and see where it gets them!
That's my thought on it, gotta appreciate all the effort you made for this post tho!

~ Hektor
i agree with hektor if they do an activity system or something im going to use all 10 activity stuff at once and immediately log off and come back in 10 hours

Athena (Dismana)

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Dismana
Auralock Phoenix Raven Linked
Lovely to see so many responses on this post, and what a great discussion!

What I pick up mostly is that people dislike limiting how much you can earn through minigames, the activity points despite rewarding bigger value games over repetitive ones, is not favored.

People seem to like the split being that the easily repetitive and more reliable games such as Droppers and Mazes are less worth in comparison to Ice Skating, Parkour and Elytra due to their higher inconsistency.

People are more discouraged by harder minigames because the reward doesn't align with the difficulty and time commitment, where as many of the easier modes grant better rewards on a per hour basis. As time investment in the harder modes (with exceptions such as the current Mirror Maze) far exceeds the amount of bonus rewards gained.

There's been positive feedback on Ivan_'s idea of having bigger weekly goals on the taskboard that can give big rewards for those who wants to play different games. 5000 points for 200 medium Elytra being the example given.

Additionally he points out that using a formula where time investment, difficulty and rate of failure combine into a set amount of tokens that can always be adjusted between each event as people get better at the different gamemodes, rotating what is rewarding to get good at as well as balancing out both difficulty and gamemodes alike. Currently a good comparison when it comes to time investment difference is Mirror Maze vs Rainbow Maze, both being hard and rewarding 15 tokens, while one takes considerably more time than the other. First time Reward completions was also mentioned to encourage people to try an complete every minigame at least once! Currently it's done with the exclusive legacy rewards, but it could also be 2x-3x the base reward if you've not completed it before.

For an update on what seems to be the most rewarding at the current state is the Mahounoshiro's Cellars at about 1000 tokens an hour, and Mirror Maze at just shy over 1400 tokens an hour. (Both being mazes, despite mazes in this ranking having a deceiving ranking of being put 4th, but has proven to be the biggest gain, not aligning with the way it was voiced in an earlier point should be the order of how rewarding games should be)

Thank you to everyone who participated in the discussion and gave their opinions on the matter, I really appreciate it!

Stay Magical, and have a Wonderous day!
- Athena Moonwish

Last edited: