DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Ideas for herbology

Joel Crestello

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Joelowo
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Pots; a portable system for plant growth and other ideas to improve herbology.

Herbology has become different from what it used to be before and is now focused on the exploration and being a key part in cooking and potions. This, in a way, pushes it to the side and makes it less important - and less intuitive. Plants before used to have special abilities, these 'abilities' were something completely unique to Herbology - whether it was giving you super speed or completely freezing your enemies with a giant 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAH' pop up on their screen, there was something that intrigued me about Herbology. There was something new and interesting to get every level.

Though it did have its problems, I'll list some below;
- Extremely long wait times and high costs of seeds
- Being almost mandatory in doing either cooking or potions, requiring you to reach specific levels in herbology to grew ingredients in either a meal or potion
- It was its a separate levelling system, which links back to the previous point

I believe we should once again make herbology a standalone profession, let it have its uses except just being 'there'. Let plants we've already got have special abilities, and with each level range, this ability drastically changes/improves. Of course, these plants would still be used in cooking and potions but still be useful if you're not interested the two. Here are some ideas I have for plant abilities;

(Abilities are debatable)
Asphodel - Gives a weak damage resistance effect to you and surrounding players for X seconds
Dittany - Improves passive regeneration by X% for X seconds
Gurgle Weed - Gives water breathing and aqua affinity (underwater speed) for X minutes
Lunaplum - Gives a glowing effect to surrounding mobs/players for X seconds
Nightshade - Gives a powerful slow effect to a mobs/players for X seconds
Puffing Pod - Gives nausea and a weak slow effect to surrounding mobs/players for X seconds
Wolfsbane - Gives a weak poison effect to surrounding mobs/players
Wormwood - Places a healing aura around you that follows you for X seconds
Wrinklefig - Pulsates healing bursts around you that heal for X% for X seconds

See; all of these are meant to help in the combat against mobs/players - not in an offensive way but a defensive way. After all, herbologists aren't fighters primarily, they enjoy the peaceful life if caring for plants. Now, for the main idea.

Pots and fertilizer - portable herbology

Pots: Purchasable in any town, scale from level 1-70, you can only have one

Now, when you pick up plants from around the world, there is a 25% chance that you get a seed. These seeds can be activated and planted in your pot. Once you have planted your seed in your pot, it will take 6/12/24* hours to grow a plant. Once 6/12/24 hours pass, you can pick your flower.

- There is a 100% chance you get 1 flower, 25% chance you get 2 and 5% chance you get 3
- There is also a 50% chance you get your seed back

But, 6/12/24 hours is a long time! This is where we introduce fertilizer. You must put fertilizer in your pot BEFORE you plant. There are two types of fertilizer which can be bought around the world and scale from levels 1-70:

- Power Fertilizer: doubles the time it takes to grow the plant but it increases your yield! There is now a 100% chance you get 2 flowers, 25% chance you get 3 and 5% chance you get 5 plants! There is also a 100% chance you get your seed back
- Speed Fertilizer: halves the time it takes to grow the plant but punishes your yield. There is still a 100% chance you get 1 flower, but only 10% chance you get 2 and 3% chance you get 3. There is also a 33% chance to get your seed back.

Both have their ups and downs - whether you choose to be a patient and efficient herbologist or a swift and risky herbologist is up to you! And with plants having special abilities, it will help reinforce herbology as the once most popular profession and definitely help players who are not as skilled in duelling/mob killing get an edge by using these plants.

*times are debatable

kiarralish

Magician
Minecraft IGN: kiarralish
Auralock Dark Follower Raven
Oh my this sounds so fun I love this idea! I was disappointed that Herbology was being cut down to simply looking around for materials across the map. But this sounds like a much needed upgrade :).

Grace

Graduate
Staff
Minecraft IGN: PinkWeezie
Honeybadger Auralock Staff Vampire Wizencouncil SPEW Lead Scribe Lead
Howdy Joel!

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I will definitely be bringing this idea up with to Poltergeist team to see how they feel about it. Once we have come to a decision I will respond and let you know. Hope you have a great day!

Grace

Graduate
Staff
Minecraft IGN: PinkWeezie
Honeybadger Auralock Staff Vampire Wizencouncil SPEW Lead Scribe Lead
Heya!

Many apologies for the long wait on this reply! We have brought your suggestion for Herbology up with the leadership team and unfortunately we will be declining it for the time being. There currently is not a set plan for professions at the moment. However, when we begin to look towards figuring out what to do with them we may re-look at your idea! We want to ensure that we are making all the professions enjoyable and useful for the players.

Your suggestion was very interesting and well thought out and we appreciate you taking the time to bring it up to us! Hope you have a wonderful day. :)