DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Let's Talk; Dumbledore.

Is it needed to mention Dumbledore's sexuality?

• Yes?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Shut up Max.

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

FTen

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: FTen
Raven
LET'S TALK.

It's pride month and as a proud member of the LGBT community I am gladdened to see the pride flags and support the community has for all Lesbian Gay Bisexual Questioning Plus Community. I was thinking about this topic for quite a while and I hope the staff doesn't remove it I want to promote a safe place where people of all people can post their opinions. I am going to define the word homophobia as making fun of people for their sexuality all I want to ask and debate with you all;

Does Dumbledore's sexuality ever play a part in the story as a whole other than to fill a criteria. I am going to argue against the latter and here's my reason why.

Sexuality plays no part in the first 7 books so we can disregard them. The first mention of anything gay came from a JK Rowling comment in an interview ("The author appeared at Carnegie Hall in 2007 to answer fan questions after the publication of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. When asked whether Dumbledore had ever found love, Rowling responded that she “always thought of Dumbledore as gay.”) I find this to be completely unnecessary and think the reason of sexuality was brought was to fill a certain criteria. A certain comment from the Cursed Child comes to my mind "We were closer than brothers." That in my eyes was all that was needed that they were close and very close might I add, adding sexuality adds nothing to the story except for a rallying point behind Dumbledore. I want to debate that's not even needed, I was thinking a lot about it and spoke to some of you fabulous people in the server and you said it shows how hard it was for Dumbledore to fight his former lover but again "We were closer than brothers." does that for me.

What do y'all think?

Keep being awesome

Love from Max.

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Minecraft IGN: MattyPoltergeist
Serpent Werewolf
I really never SAW(D) Dumbledore as the one really interested in love, more for knowledge and other things. I feel like it would make sense Dumbledore being bi really but tbh i couldnt care less what his sexuality is so ya :/

FTen

New Magician
Raven
I really never SAW(D) Dumbledore as the one really interested in love, more for knowledge and other things. I feel like it would make sense Dumbledore being bi really but tbh i couldnt care less what his sexuality is so ya :/
That is entirely the point of the post you replied to.

Honey_Dwarf1

Archivist
Minecraft IGN: Honey_Dwarf1
Phoenix Raven
It kind of makes sense that he is, but it honestly makes no difference to the plot and it wasn't necessary. I don't mind that he is, unless it was purely to make it seem more 'inclusive'

FTen

New Magician
Raven
It kind of makes sense that he is, but it honestly makes no difference to the plot and it wasn't necessary. I don't mind that he is, unless it was purely to make it seem more 'inclusive'
Why should it be more inclusive. The point of inclusivity is to bring people closer to the character being gay adds nothing to him as a Wizard or a person.

Honey_Dwarf1

Archivist
Minecraft IGN: Honey_Dwarf1
Phoenix Raven
Yes, I was saying that it seems to go against the idea of respecting LGBTQ+ when you include people from that community for the sake of seeming more inclusive and not because they are normal people

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: ZADANeth
Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix
LET'S TALK.

It's pride month and as a proud member of the LGBT community I am gladdened to see the pride flags and support the community has for all Lesbian Gay Bisexual Questioning Plus Community. I was thinking about this topic for quite a while and I hope the staff doesn't remove it I want to promote a safe place where people of all people can post their opinions. I am going to define the word homophobia as making fun of people for their sexuality all I want to ask and debate with you all;

Does Dumbledore's sexuality ever play a part in the story as a whole other than to fill a criteria. I am going to argue against the latter and here's my reason why.

Sexuality plays no part in the first 7 books so we can disregard them. The first mention of anything gay came from a JK Rowling comment in an interview ("The author appeared at Carnegie Hall in 2007 to answer fan questions after the publication of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. When asked whether Dumbledore had ever found love, Rowling responded that she “always thought of Dumbledore as gay.”) I find this to be completely unnecessary and think the reason of sexuality was brought was to fill a certain criteria. A certain comment from the Cursed Child comes to my mind "We were closer than brothers." That in my eyes was all that was needed that they were close and very close might I add, adding sexuality adds nothing to the story except for a rallying point behind Dumbledore. I want to debate that's not even needed, I was thinking a lot about it and spoke to some of you fabulous people in the server and you said it shows how hard it was for Dumbledore to fight his former lover but again "We were closer than brothers." does that for me.

What do y'all think?

Keep being awesome

Love from Max.
I don't think so. I think it would be more leaning into the divide between sexuality preferences by making the gay guy announce to the world what he's into when none of the other headmasters or figureheads have to do that about being heterosexual. I never have understood why people make such a big deal about a fictional character's sexuality that wasn't even specified in the books themselves.

For real people, it makes sense to want to tell the world if you were suppressed from being able to share your truth for a given amount of time - but I don't see a point in making a big deal with it out of a character. I think it furthers the divide and the understanding that we're all the same. Similar to how racist stories always have to state what color every person involved was. Like "BLANK man attacks BLANK man with tire iron" instead of just saying "a guy attacked someone with a tire iron."