DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Make Disposal Clearer

Mallaidh

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: scarvlover
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
I've realised that for non-English speakers - or even for some English speakers - that the disposal in /me may not be entirely clear what its actually for.

'Disposal' isn't really a word we use casually, so for younger people or for some English speakers or especially for non-English speakers, when they see the word disposal its likely not going to be immediately obvious what it means. A lot of us assume that its clear, because we know English well and we know what disposal means - but for those who don't, it doesn't really tell you that it will delete your items.

The image for it doesn't tell you what disposal is either or even imply that it'll delete your items. You might argue that yeah, but its a black hole! It looks like a black hole, its gonna suck your items in. But, really, we only come to that conclusion because we already know what disposal means. If someone goes into /me, is told to do disposal to clear up inventory space, doesn't know what disposal is, that picture isn't going to make it any more clear to them that it will delete their items.

So, my suggestion is to make disposal clearer. A couple ways this could be done:

1) Add a message into chat that warns that all items will be deleted
2) Before it opens the disposal GUI, have something pop up that explains the items you put in disposal will be deleted. This can either come up only the first time that the disposal GUI is opened, or it can be automatically enabled and then can mention inside of the message that it can be disabled in settings if you want to go straight to opening the disposal GUI
3) Have the description change - right now its "Would you like to dispose some of your items?" which means absolutely nothing to people who don't know what dispose or disposal means

I'm sure there are other ways this could be done too, so feel free to suggest some more!

Yumei Fireheart

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: VetMedYumei
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
So, my suggestion is to make disposal clearer. A couple ways this could be done:

1) Add a message into chat that warns that all items will be deleted
2) Before it opens the disposal GUI, have something pop up that explains the items you put in disposal will be deleted. This can either come up only the first time that the disposal GUI is opened, or it can be automatically enabled and then can mention inside of the message that it can be disabled in settings if you want to go straight to opening the disposal GUI
3) Have the description change - right now its "Would you like to dispose some of your items?" which means absolutely nothing to people who don't know what dispose or disposal means
I agree to this suggestion as it is needed to prevent confusion to other people. Ngl some really don't understand how it works and this suggestion is a good solution for it.

Addition suggestion:

We can also change /disposal to /trash but yeah I think the best to do is the one Malla suggested.

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
I really like this suggestions, simple yet effective QoL change.

The image for it doesn't tell you what disposal is either or even imply that it'll delete your items. You might argue that yeah, but its a black hole! It looks like a black hole, its gonna suck your items in.
This reminds me of a game called TerraTech, where you store items in a black hole, not delete them.

Matt Silvius

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: SLGMatt
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Hey Malla,

Thank you for this suggestion, it's useful to know about these kinds of things.

I'll bring this up with the team and get a response for you as soon as I can.

~Matt

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Hiya, @Mallaidh Callaway!

Thank you for making this suggestion, as we’re always looking for ways to improve the server! I’ve come to inform you that your suggestion has been accepted, as we think that it is very worthwhile clarifying that disposal deletes your items. Therefore, we have changed the description of the item in /me to more clearly explain this, making this suggestion complete, and we will also be looking at changing the icon in /me soon to better reflect what the item does. We hope you continue sharing more suggestions with us in the near future!

Have a fantastic day!