DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Make Tournament flying maps available at all times for players

Samuel

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: SamuelTM
Griffin Phoenix
I think that making tournament flying maps available for players to practise in or play for fun would be great! This could be in a GUI like /games or just anything really. I’m struggeling with some of the maps because they can only be played in challenges in tournaments, making them available wouldn’t be too hard and I and other would love it to practise them for tournaments or just when I’m bored!

Feyre

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: CruelDuarte
Dark Follower Griffin SPEW
i agree the minigame maps arent anywhere near as difficult as some of the tournament maps, it would be nice for players to practice on them or at least see what the maps are like to get an idea whether they want to try out for flying or not.

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello Samuel,
thank you for making a suggestion for Potterworld. We really appreciate it!
I will now discuss your idea with the other Poltergeists and we will get back to you as soon as a decision is made.
Have a wonderful day!

Lizzie

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Rhines
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire
While I'd always enjoy a new flying map, it should be taken into account that flying, in itself, is very memorization based when it comes to the minigame. People grind it hours on end, and as a result flawless each map, perfect each corner, and essentially race other players in a battle of "where did rng place you." Tournaments aren't necessarily like this yet, as they'll produce maps that players haven't seen, or bring back an extremely old map. This makes tournament-based flying a lot more reliant on actual skill than the amount of time that said player has been grinding the minigames out.
While some players already have a couple of the tourney courses memorized, I believe it'd be detrimental to any skill-basing left in the flying tourneys in general. It'll just turn tournaments into rehashes of flying classes: Who has grinded the minigame long enough. However, this doesn't mean I'd like to see new flying maps produced, or more difficult maps up in the flying minigame.

Samuel

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: SamuelTM
Griffin Phoenix
I totally agree with that. I’d love some more difficult flying maps too, since I can do most maps without crashing.

Feyre

Notable Magician
Just maps with higher difficulty rather than the exact tournament maps so that people can be more used to the layout of tournament maps. Most of the new players that join may not have even seen the maps before unlike other players , so maybe just providing a some what similar course to get the idea of how difficult some tournament maps are would be nice.

Frebii

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Frebii
Griffin Phoenix SPEW
I think that making tournament flying maps available for players to practise in or play for fun would be great! This could be in a GUI like /games or just anything really. I’m struggeling with some of the maps because they can only be played in challenges in tournaments, making them available wouldn’t be too hard and I and other would love it to practise them for tournaments or just when I’m bored!
Sorry but I really disagree with this suggestion:

The only thing that differs tournaments from normal Flying Classes then would be the reward. And that shouldn’t be the case. Tournaments in general are meant to be something special that only happens once in the month to let players showcase their Flying skills. It wouldn’t be much about skill anymore if one could just practice a map 24/7. In Tournaments the main spirit should be who can get the fastest through a new course you don‘t see in Classes. The skills should lie in calms, flying skills, and mapawareness and not 100% map awareness. It would only end up in a bunch of players practicing each map 24/7 then eventually placing really close to each other which makes it even harder for the Arena Team to see who came in 1st.

You already acquire mapawareness by attending Flying Challenges or simply attending Tournaments in the long run which would make this change already quite pointless.

Flying Challenges are already there to replace the „tournament feeling“ and therefore showcasing tournament maps as well. The purpose of a Flying Challenge would be totally removed.

Please don‘t implement this change it would simply destroy the whole Tournament spirit and people might even stop going to Tournaments because it‘d had the same effect as a Flying Class, that you can eventually become good by having 100% map awareness.

Last edited:

Feyre

Notable Magician
Sorry but I really disagree with this suggestion:

The only thing that differs tournaments from normal Flying Classes then would be the reward. And that shouldn’t be the case. Tournaments in general are meant to be something special that only happens once in the month to let players showcase their Flying skills. It wouldn’t be much about skill anymore if one could just practice a map 24/7. In Tournaments the main spirit should be who can get the fastest through a new course you don‘t see in Classes. The skills should lie in calms, flying skills, and mapawareness and not 100% map awareness. It would only end up in a bunch of players practicing each map 24/7 then eventually placing really close to each other which makes it even harder for the Arena Team to see who came in 1st.

You already acquire mapawareness by attending Flying Challenges or simply attending Tournaments in the long run which would make this change already quite pointless.

Flying Challenges are already there to replace the „tournament feeling“ and therefore showcasing tournament maps as well. The purpose of a Flying Challenge would be totally removed.

Please don‘t implement this change it would simply destroy the whole Tournament spirit and people might even stop going to Tournaments because it‘d had the same effect as a Flying Class, that you can eventually become good by having 100% map awareness.
It doesn't have to be the exact same maps as the tournament but regular maps with a higher difficulty cause the skills that you acquire in minigame maps are nowhere near as what you would need in the flying tournaments as the maps have a completely different layout and level of difficulty - players would not be learning the same maps as tournaments but get the feel of what they would be like if they were to participate.

Frebii

Graduate
Griffin Phoenix SPEW
It doesn't have to be the exact same maps as the tournament but regular maps with a higher difficulty cause the skills that you acquire in minigame maps are nowhere near as what you would need in the flying tournaments as the maps have a completely different layout and level of difficulty - players would not be learning the same maps as tournaments but get the feel of what they would be like if they were to participate.
That doesn't make any sense because playing on difficult maps doesn't instantly make you better on other difficult maps. (For example if they put Halloween free for use you can practice it i guess but it won't help you in a Tournament when you for example never played Hogwarts before).

Thats what Flying Challenges and Practice Rounds are for.

Feyre

Notable Magician
That doesn't make any sense because playing on difficult maps doesn't instantly make you better on other difficult maps. (For example if they put Halloween free for use you can practice it i guess but it won't help you in a Tournament when you for example never played Hogwarts before).

Thats what Flying Challenges and Practice Rounds are for.
It may not make you better but at least than you'll know what to expect as tournament maps are different compared to minigame maps

Feyre

Notable Magician
every map is different compared to one another? thats no real argument
Yes, each map is different as they all have unique course layouts but there is a common factor that tournament maps have a greater difficulty than minigame maps and that is why they're used , so being able to fly on a map with a higher difficulty (that is not the same as a tournament map) would allow you to get the gist of what level of difficulty to expect if you were to participate in a challenge/tournament as minigame maps don't provide you the full insight on how different tournament maps actually are.

Frebii

Graduate
Griffin Phoenix SPEW
Yes, each map is different as they all have unique course layouts but there is a common factor that tournament maps have a greater difficulty than minigame maps and that is why they're used , so being able to fly on a map with a higher difficulty (that is not the same as a tournament map) would allow you to get the gist of what level of difficulty to expect if you were to participate in a challenge/tournament as minigame maps don't provide you the full insight on how different tournament maps actually are.
Like I previously said, that’s no real argument. The longer you play a map the easier it gets anyway so even if you practice a difficult map all over again it might eventually become easy. Again it gives you 0 advantage for other tournament maps since each map layout is different from one another, so it doesn’t matter if you practice an easy or a difficult map the only real practice is the map itself!

Grace

Graduate
Staff
Minecraft IGN: PinkWeezie
Honeybadger Auralock Staff Vampire Wizencouncil SPEW Lead Scribe Lead
Hello @Samuel_Griffin!

So sorry for the late reply on this suggestion. We have brought your idea up with the Poltergeist team and have decided to decline it at this time. Unfortunately, we do not have enough flying maps in the rotation at the moment as there are currently only two (minus the seasonal ones). The team wants to make sure that there are enough maps for future tournaments and feel that with only two we should not release them yet. We also are worried that this might cause a disadvantage for certain players if there were only two maps in rotation which players could easily memorize after spending hours on the course.

This all being said, we did like your idea overall. Once we are able to build and release new maps for the tournaments we will once again look into this suggestion. Thank you so much for suggesting this idea and if you have any more in the future we would love to hear them! Hope you have a wonderful day. :)