DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Map biomes and seasons

Would you like seasons on Potterworld ?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
Heya !

Walking around on Potterworld I've noticed, that biomes are a hot mess, different biomes with different temperatures (rain/snow) are scattered all over the place and sometimes their size is 1x1, which breaks the immersion quite a lot.

Here's a forest biome surrounded by snowy_tundra in Hogsend:
(this 1x1 biome in particular has been fixed)

However, such biomes are near the castle as well. @Honey_Dwarf1 talks about it in their thread called Hogsworth and Biomes.
The amount of times it switches between the two makes the whole experience seem glitchy or odd.
They also added this video showing the issue:

And here are screenshots, where white is one biome and light green is another biome:
biome 2.jpg winter 4.jpg
(Click to preview)

As of right now, towns like Hogsend and Wigtown, have regional winter. You walk into the town, there's snow everywhere, however, once you step outside of the town boundaries, there's hot summer. It breaks the immersion too much.
1604065558538.png

Quote from Honey_Dwarf's thread:
I don't know if this is something that has been done for a specific purpose or if it was not on purpose, but I think the whole castle sohuld be changed to be the same biome, for consistency.
The solution and expansion

I propose to change all biomes to one, globally and edit the Resource Pack. Why ?
SEASONS JUST LIKE IN REAL LIFE!

By changing all of the scattered biomes to one, the server would get unified weather everywhere, if it's combined with a resource pack, we can have seasons. Imagine if Potterworld would reflect seasons IRL, in the summer everything would be green, autumn would be orange and golden and in winter there would be snowing everywhere and trees covered with frost.

If you can't imagine this, I have you covered. I tried to make a Potterworld seasons resource pack, here's Autumn:
autumn 1.jpg autumn 3.jpg autumn 4.jpg autumn 5.jpg
(Click to preview)
And here's where the issues started (in my project), Winter:
winter 5.jpg winter 1.jpg winter 4.jpg biome 2.jpg
(Click to preview)
Explanation for 3rd, 4th and 5th pic: I wanted to add seasons with resource pack only. So I replaced grass texture with snow texture, but due to the biomes and their hardcoded colours, the "snow" turns green. Also, since I wanted winter in the whole world, I had to remove rain texture and rain sound. However, snow is still only in the cold biomes. (4. and 5. have Biome Blend - Off)

Note: It's not a lot of work, for autumn, just changing colormap for biomes and manually changing moss color on mossy blocks. Winter would be easier, since if there were cold biomes, grass would be covered with snow - no need to change the texture.

If the biomes and resource pack are changed according to IRL seasons, it would boost the immersion significantly and even open more ways for travel during winter for example, when the Hogsworth lake is frozen and allows for travel to Hogsend, just like in the movies.
Frozen lake.jpg

TL;DR:
  • Make biomes on Potterworld unified - change them to one only, or clump them together
  • Change biomes and Resource pack according to seasons IRL - Forest in the summer, Snowy_Taiga in the winter. Adds immersion, looks really good (and also cozyness during colder seasons)
    • Remove regional snow in Hogsend/Wigtown when there's summer everywhere else

Last edited:

FlatJambo

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: FlatJambo
Honeybadger Auralock
I do find the little patches of non-snow in Hogsend rather annoying. As far as seasons go, imagine if the whole map (or at least Hogsworth) followed the seasons. It would be so magical (more than it already is!). I feel like the build team could have some fun building snowmen and stuff and adding some sleds around for decoration. And imagine the snow in Hogsend melting when it turns to spring and flowers start to bloom. Then in autumn all the trees in the Forbidden Forest change colors and lose some of their leaves. How cool would that be?

Motionic

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Motionic
Dark Follower Griffin Vampire
Heya @Pankakes! Thank you so much for coming forward with this suggestion! We truly value players immersion on the server and want to keep it constant! I will now bring this up with the other poltergeists and we will discuss it further. I will get back to you with a response as soon as we have reached our decision! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Pankakes

Animorphus
Griffin
Good news everyone,
I have managed to fix the issue with the green snow in the Winter Resource pack. Now everything looks nice.

2021-03-04_15.55.51_JPEG.jpg 2021-03-04_15.41.55_JPEG.jpg 2021-03-04_15.39.48_JPEG.jpg 2021-03-04_01.05.10_JPEG.jpg
(Click on images to preview)

Now it's just a question if the Staff will allow me to post the resourcepacks on the forums, so we can have at least some form of seasons.

PS: Yes I do know it's spring already

YeetChris

Caretaker
Staff
Minecraft IGN: YeetChris
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Vampire Werewolf Class Helper SPEW
I love this!! I feel like for exploration this makes it 10x times better. I can see builders and players alike enjoying this.

Aspasia

Animorphus
Drooble's Order
Minecraft IGN: ShatterdHeart
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Builder SPEW Drooble's Order Arena Squire
I know that this suggestion has gotten a response from a Poltergeist but this is a need not a want. It'll make the server so much more realistic and it would be amazing to see!

Queeeni

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: morrgannn
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Hello @Pankakes,

At this time I am here to let you know that unfortunately this suggestion has been declined for a few reasons. In regards to changing the map to one biome, we cannot do this, as we originally wanted to utilize the coloured leaves to be in different areas to add more variation and detail to the map. In addition to this, we would rather save the textures for other things that would be permanent. As for the idea of adding seasons, we appreciate the idea, but something like this would have to be maintained, which would be quite a hassle since there is other content we would also have to upkeep and focus on. Again, we thank you for taking the time to create this suggestion.

I hope you have a great day/night!

Pankakes

Animorphus
Griffin
as we originally wanted to utilize the coloured leaves to be in different areas to add more variation and detail to the map
The current map lacks both detail and variation so I see no loss. I have yet to see coloured leaves.

to add more variation and detail to the map.
Is that why there's warm biomes with rain in the middle of snowy biomes like around the castle (Snow, rain, nothing, snow, rain, nothing...).

we would rather save the textures for other things that would be permanent.
It's just changing like 3 colourmaps and the green part on flowers, not adding more textures. Literally 0 textures added.

As for the idea of adding seasons, we appreciate the idea, but something like this would have to be maintained, which would be quite a hassle since there is other content we would also have to upkeep and focus on.
Maintained = Change a biome and the resource pack 4 times per 12 months.

But hey, a no is a no so I'm not going to try and convince the staff and wait another 5 months for an answer. Have a nice day as well