DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

My Opinion no hate!

NoxPozowski

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Cruellan
Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix
Hello everyone I hope you are all having an amazing day/night.
This is kind of suggestion, It will help loads of players like a lot if you do this!
What if you guys make the map the exact movie map, like the classes and the rooms
for example the library is on the 2nd floor which is supposed to be on the 1st floor, ravens room on the fifth floor and not the 6th floor. I mean if you guys changed everything to the same floor as the movie players won't struggle finding anything anymore because as a person who watched HP we know what is on each floor are the rooms and other stuff :eek: It will be so helpful to us and players gonna really enjoy it :3
Thanks for your time!

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
I understand the desire to make it more like the movies and it probably would be beneficial but to me personally this is a bit too much work for a small detail that may negatively impact other players. I watched all 8 movies are read all 7.5* books and I did not know the layout of ANY of the castle. Maybe I am in the minority but changing the layout would just make me have to relearn all the hallways and confuse me. Cool idea though!

NoxPozowski

New Magician
I understand the desire to make it more like the movies and it probably would be beneficial but to me personally this is a bit too much work for a small detail that may negatively impact other players. I watched all 8 movies are read all 7.5* books and I did not know the layout of ANY of the castle. Maybe I am in the minority but changing the layout would just make me have to relearn all the hallways and confuse me. Cool idea though!
its fun having changes and discovering new things xD

Mallaidh

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: scarvlover
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
I mean, the layout of Hogwarts in the films kept changing and if they implemented this they would likely have to choose between using the film layout and book layout, which are drastically different.
The main problems are
1) this is gonna take time
2) a completely different layout will be hell for most players
3) literally each film the layout of Hogwarts was completely different

NoxPozowski

New Magician
I mean, the layout of Hogwarts in the films kept changing and if they implemented this they would likely have to choose between using the film layout and book layout, which are drastically different.
The main problems are
They could take it from the middle, Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban plus we'll gain more player and ye i agree with first 2 points :O

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I've personally always been fascinated by the architecture of Hogwarts castle as seen in the films and could probably fill an entire book with just stories about every single stone, but for now, I'll limit myself with just the things that are mentioned in this thread.

What if you guys make the map the exact movie map, like the classes and the rooms
This sentence is confusing me somewhat. Which part of the current castle in the server do you see as inconsistent with how the castle was shown in the movies? As far as I can tell, the vast majority of the castle exterior is based on the castle as seen in the 2 Deathly Hallows movies (and Crimes of Grindelwald!) with some recognizable features from earlier films being used to create a wider variety of recognizable locations. Furthermore, I've personally experienced that the interior rooms that were seen in the movies have also been incorporated into the castle with further gaps being filled in based on other sources or builders' own creativity.

If there is any room you think is definitely missing in the PW castle that was in the movies, I'd love to know which but I think that the castle as it currently stand does a very reasonable attempt at being consistent with the movies. Furthermore I think that it's also good that certain gaps are filled in based on what the builders think would be interesting. If PW tried to be completely consistent with all of the various sources, it would probably end up still contradicting some source while also having the risk of not being able to fit certain rooms or corridors within the exterior.

for example the library is on the 2nd floor which is supposed to be on the 1st floor
I think the idea that the library should be on the 1st floor comes from the books rather than the movies. Either way, the current location of the library in the castle on PW seems to have been inspired by the location of the library in the OotP and HBP videogames. And that's exactly what I meant earlier; if PW would try to be consistent with all possible sources, it would end up contradicting itself, because in those videogames the library is on the second floor. I personally do not believe that the library should be moved, I feel like its current location makes sense.

ravens room on the fifth floor and not the 6th floor.
Quoted from the Harry Potter wikia:
The entrance to the common room is located on the west side of Hogwarts at the top of a spiral staircase, presumably located on the fifth floor, and is a door without a doorknob or keyhole, but a bronze knocker in the shape of an eagle.
Based on the info of this wikia page we know that: this common room is in its own tower, at the top of a spiral staircase. The wikia lists 2 possibilities for the Raven tower: the lookout tower or the central tower. From PW's standpoint it makes sense to use the central tower for this, as it houses more room for the actual common room and all of the dorms, whereas the lookout tower seems a tad too small to house a common room and given its layout, would make it too easy for people with a broom to get into the common room itself. So again, I believe the location of the Raven common room makes sense in the server.

I mean if you guys changed everything to the same floor as the movie players won't struggle finding anything anymore because as a person who watched HP we know what is on each floor are the rooms and other stuff :eek: It will be so helpful to us and players gonna really enjoy it :3
Completely disagree. Most players don't have all of the movies memorised and even if they do, the movies don't really offer a guide through the castle. Locations are just shown, if you're lucky sometimes scenes zoom out of windows but generally a location in the movies could be anywhere in the castle.

its fun having changes and discovering new things xD
True, but then I'd rather have the build team focus on building new, original builds for the server (like, idk, Beauxbois or Dormunstrad) rather than changing the castle that everyone has already gotten used to.

yes
yes
Not completely different, but still, yes.

They could take it from the middle, Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban plus we'll gain more player and ye i agree with first 2 points :O
First of all, PoA is not "in the middle", and second, that castle wouldn't be the greatest of ideas to use for a multitude of reasons.
1. It featured a tower that literally looks like the movie makers went "hey, we need a high tower on top of which Sirius Black can be locked up" and whoever designed this tower literally just designed exactly that, nothing more. It stayed for a few movies until it was replaced by the astronomy tower which looks far nicer, serves a much more logical purpose and offers a lot more space for interesting rooms that can be discovered and explored.
2. It does NOT feature the entrance courtyard but rather the chamber of reception. Personally I much prefer a courtyard in that location, it allows for a lot of player interaction, it allows players to easily leave GH without having to jump off some stairs first and I think it just generally looks a lot nicer.
3. If you look on the map you'll notice that there are 2 viaducts connected to the entrance courtyard: one of them connecting the courtyard with the second part of the castle (call it viaduct 1) and another connecting the courtyard to nearby castle grounds (call this one viaduct 2). None of the movies actually have 2 viaducts: movies 1-6 feature only viaduct 1, but any subsequent movies featured only viaduct 2. Personally I'm a big fan of having both viaducts. I hated the removal of viaduct in the last movie, but at the same time I felt it made sense to connect the castle grounds with the entrance courtyard. Making the castle consistent with the third movie's castle would imply the removal of viaduct 2, which I truly think would be a loss.

Furthermore, I do not believe with the notion that practically degrading the castle would gain more players. I just don't really see that happening.

But ye, that's just what I have to say on the matter, I look forward to reading any subsequent replies to this thread.

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello @NoxPozowski ,
Thank you for suggesting this to us! I will now mention this idea to the other Poltergeists and we will get back to you once a decision has been made.
Have a wonderful day!

Lizzie

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Rhines
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire
LOLNO that layout was messed up, the greenhouses were next to the clocktower courtyard?! Like LITERALLY next to them!
v-v yes BUT even if the positioning was messed up they had a thorough map that could actually be plotted out

i still stand by the statement lego harry potter layout > movie layout

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
i still stand by the statement lego harry potter layout > movie layout
Now you're just asking for it...

THIS is the LEGO Harry Potter (Years 1-4) castle layout:

And this is literally one of the ugliest Hogwarts castle layouts that I have ever had the misfortune to lay my eyes on. Where to begin?! In the bottom left corner we see the "lessons hallway", which doesn't even come close to any sort of logic that applies to the wizarding world. As any normal source will confirm, the classrooms were spread out throughout the castle rather than all be in the same corridor.

And the same can of course be said about the house hallway in the bottom right corner. What kind of self-respecting Hogwarts layout has all the common rooms literally in the same hallway?!

And don't even get me started on the entrance hall in the middle where it is connected to the great hall when this makes no sense whatsoever, surely the great hall would be connected to some sort of entrance that leads out into the exterior of the castle?

But what really grinds my gears is the top right stuff going on. As I said, the clocktower courtyard is directly connected to the training grounds and greenhouses while those 2 locations should be very far apart indeed! The owlery is somehow reached by going into the clocktower itself, whereas the wooden bridge is not even directly connected to the clocktower courtyard... I give up, I just give up...

lego harry potter > any other version of harry potter
Very true

aaron ♡

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aarooncia
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Vampire Werewolf
For someone who has had a chance to work on the map, it's no secret on how much time we spent in total making the current map, which was about 2-3 years from what I had heard. You are most definitely entitled to your opinion, and in no way am I trying to contradict that. However, the way you've described changing rooms and areas is incredibly sugarcoated. Not only would this take hours of our time that we originally worked so hard on to provide a new map, but we also have no way of knowing exactly what goes where. In every movie or show, it is not specified completely on where everything is and this would make the job at hand incredibly hard and truly not worth it. By moving one thing, we'd have to move the other. This changes the overall shape and design of the castle. I'm not going to continue through, however I think it is clear on what I'm attempting to convey.

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello again @NoxPozowski,

Unfortunately, we will be declining your suggestion. There are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly, the current castle has been worked on for many years and has been created in a specific way according to Droobledore's and the Build team's vision of the castle. Changing this would be very difficult and would require the team to reshuffle a lot of things in the castle, which would take a lot of time and we'd prefer to use this time to create other unique builds.
Additionally, the layout of the movies of the castle changes fairly often between movies, so it could be very difficult to decide on where to place certain places, as they'll often contradict each other. Both the movies and the books do not give a complete picture of the entirety of the castle layout, so ultimately, a lot of it is left to a person's imagination and neither the movies nor the books offer a good guide to the castle's layout.
Therefore, we don't believe these changes would make the castle more easy to navigate. Instead, the changes are far more likely to confuse players, as they'll have to relearn the entire layout, which also means that older players cannot help newer players with directions as everyone will have to relearn the castle.

Nevertheless, thank you once again for the suggestion and have a fantastic day!