DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

No Random Chance Games

Zmiya

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Zmiy
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
For the Memento Mori game at the event, a GUI is opened and you are given 3 chances to pick a soul from a grid of 35 items and the cost per game is 2 Boo Bucks - if you don't find a soul, you get nothing back. IMO, Random chance games should not be implemented in any major way in any content on the server like it has been here. The issue is that I could spend 2 hours grinding parkours, elytra courses, droppers, etc. to earn 200 Boo Bucks to spend entirely on this game and only receive 10 souls back. This would be very discouraging and I more than likely would not continue to play. I'd understand a game like this if the intention was to drain the economy of boo bucks but that wouldn't be the case.

I'd do two things moving forward if I were in the position of making this decision:
1. Increase the odds of selecting a soul in the game for this event since it wouldn't make sense to remove the game for all of the hard work that has been put into it.
2. Only have these random chance games as part of a quest or something without the aspect of draining a player's currency.

cheddarsoup

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: cheddarsoup
Auralock Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
Yeah for a pretty major part of the event, a random clicking game is very lackluster in my opinion. Would definitely have rather seen some type of skill challenge.

Ukiyo

Magician
Minecraft IGN: MelancholiaUFO
Honeybadger Auralock
I agree that chance games are tedious. With a name like Momento Mori, it very much could've been a memory game or at least a game which required both skill/attention. It could've even included random chance at some points, but as long as it wasn't the deciding fate of the whole game each and everytime.

A game like match, where you have covered items in the GUI but you can turn them over and attempt to match a pair perhaps? You'd be able to see the two you flip but they'll turn face down again if they don't match, and when they do you'd earn a soul. (1 pair made = 1 soul.) In this recommendation, you'd also have a set amount of turns (perhaps 5 turns for a table of 6 cards/3 pairs). My reasoning for this is when selecting the first card, you have a 1/5 chance of making a pair. Hence why 5 turns to make it is (pretty much) guaranteed a soul each play through.

But through flipping you'd also find other pairs to match, which increases rewards while also still requiring attention instead of being luck based. More focus = more reward.

I agree with the notion that if a player's currency is being used they should at least earn something in return- hope this was helpful/interesting!

Aglyn

Graduate
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Aglyn
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Class Design Arena Grandmaster SPEW Academics Advisor
Hello @Zmiya

I have arrived with an update for this thread. This time around we were reusing last years Apple Bobbing idea as it seemed like a popular demand. However, we will try our best to avoid doing so in the future after the player feedback we have received. Although we cannot guarantee that there will never be any RNG based content or gameplay.

Nevertheless, thank you for bringing this up, we appreciate every piece of feedback and/or suggestions! I hope you have a wonderful day/night!