DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Semi-Long-Running Community Event - Potterworld's Got Talent

ThatPotterFan98

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: ThatPotterFan98
Raven
I had an idea for a semi-long-running community event called Potterworld's Got Talent. Basically it would be a talent show players can enter to show off a talent judged by some of the server staff members. There would be three [3] rounds, and the winning player would get some sort of prize.

To start the event, there would be a sign up period for players to enter themselves into the talent show. Players could enter as individuals, pairs or small groups (probably no more than four or five [4-5]?). Players would enter with their IGN/s and whatever their talent will be. Talents could include telling jokes, "dancing", magic displays, playing an instrument from the music shop or other ideas that players come up with. I think, to give players as much of a chance as possible, the sign up period could last for at least three [3] days.

Following the sign up period would be the first of the three [3] rounds, the Audition Round. This round would be held at the Lumen Theatre in Hogsend. For this round, all of the players who signed up would do an audition and show off their talent to the judges (like I said, judges would be server staff members, around three or four [3-4]). Each judge would then give some feedback and make a simple yes or no decision, with majority rules being the overall decision. Players who get majority yes would go through to the next round, those with majority no would be eliminated. Players who are not currently auditioning or who didn't sign up would be allowed to come along as audience members. There could be some kind of audition schedule made up, and auditions could run for up to a week overall.

When all the auditions are done, the second round would begin, The Semi-Finals. This round would be held at the Warbeck Theatre in Carket Market. For this round, all the players who made it through from the auditions would get the chance to give a second performance in front of the judges and an audience made up of other players who have come along. After watching each performance, the judges would give some feedback. Once all the performances are done, the judges and the audience would all be able to cast votes for the performances they liked the most. The top ten [10] performances with the most votes would go through to the final round, while everyone else would be eliminated. Similar to the auditions, there could be a semi-finals schedule, with the performances and voting running for up to a week overall.

Once the top ten [10] have been decided, it would move to the third round, the Finals. This round would also be held at the Warbeck Theatre in Carket Market. For this round, all the top ten [10] would get the chance to give a third and final performance in front of the judges and an audience made up of other players who have come along. After watching each performance, the judges would give some feedback. Once all the performances are done, the judges and the audience would all be able to vote for their favourite performance. The performance that gets the most votes would be the winner of Potterworld's Got Talent! This round could have a finals schedule, with the top ten [10] performances, voting and announcement of the winner running for up to a week overall.

The winner of Potterworld's Got Talent would win some sort of special prize, maybe a large amount of gold, a special item like a trophy or a winner's banner, or a large amount of house points for their house (or a combination of a few of these prizes).

I think that Potterworld's Got Talent would be a good idea for a semi-long-running community event that could be run because it would be something that would bring lots of players together to have a bit of fun. It would also mean that some places in the world that might not get used very often (the theatres) could get a bit more use, allowing the server a chance to show off more of its amazing builds and players to discover more places. Also, it would encourage a bit of friendly competition and give players the chance to win something special for themselves and their house.

Honey_Dwarf1

Archivist
Minecraft IGN: Honey_Dwarf1
Phoenix Raven
The issue I think with this is that there's really not a lot of talent to be shown in minecraft. I think the best of your suggestions would be playing an instrument, but things like dancing or telling jokes really don't work in minecraft's format with limited movements and no way to show tone, timing etc. Because of this, I feel like the judging would be really difficult since people would generally be doing the same thing, and none of it would really be that impressive because they would all be fairly simple things that you can do in minecraft.

Micah Cresswell

Professor
Minecraft IGN: Hacim4
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf
I love the idea, but I have to agree with @Honey_Dwarf1 , there really isn’t much you can do in Minecraft, hence a player who could play music would probably almost always win.

Maybe they could have people turn in real life talents. But then again, not a lot of people would participate based on how many people will want to stay anonymous.

Correct me if I’m wrong! :heart:

Nives

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: annivelation
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Sr. Poltergeist
Heya @ThatPotterFan98 !

Thank you for bringing up this idea! We always appreciate players coming forward with new suggestions on how to improve the server. I will be bringing up this idea to the rest of the Poltergeist team so we can discuss it more. Once we get a decision, I will be back to let you know the outcome!

Thank you once again and I hope you have a fantastic day!

Nives

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: annivelation
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Sr. Poltergeist
Greetings, @ThatPotterFan98 !

After some consideration, this is unfortunately not something we would like to pursue, at least not in the form that has been proposed in this suggestion. While we think it's a fun and interesting concept, unfortunately, Minecraft largely limits a player's creativity and it's difficult to design an event that is able to highlight many forms of talent through just in-game.

We considered perhaps hosting it like a CE would be hosted using a combination of Discord and in-game aspects, but this is still very limiting. If we were to do this, we would want to find a better way to engage everyone, and discussed potentially doing it through video submissions & judging, although that also would involve a lot of effort to organize and manage. So, while we like this idea overall, we feel that it's currently unrealistic for us to do. However, it is something we would be interested in possibly revisiting if we do another Fine Arts fair or creativity-based event in future.

Regardless, thank you for making this suggestion and we apologize for the delayed response! I hope you have a fantastic day!