DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Some Valentine's 2020 Feedback

PeachSoju

Notable Magician
Hello! I write this just a little bit after having completed the main, 'storyline' I suppose, of the new Valentines event, and I noticed a few things (particularly after doing some quick searches via the PW Discord) that I hoped to get some more information on, and, as the title suggests, give some feedback about too.

Firstly, please forgive me if this was already addressed, I have been away from PW for a little while, and in particular events, so I am not familiar with the ways in which the professions system interacts with events, however: My first question is regarding the very large XP gain from completing herbology/cooking/brewing activities at events, and why/how this fits in with the professions system logically; In my experience, Potterworld has always followed the idea of, in most cases, maintaining systems which many players have already used, as changing them at a later stage is unfair to the players who previously interacted with said service(s). One example of this kind of system was also recently discussed on this forum: Hat Prices.

In my view, professions should work in a similar way, although because I am unfamiliar with the specifics, I hope that I can get some more information regarding this. :)

Secondly, and I admit that this could be perceived as being nitpicky or a little pedantic, however, I think it's worth mentioning. As someone who was previously involved with GD, I noticed several (what would have been considered while I was staff) issues regarding NPCs:

1. NPCs continue to offer trades after I have traded for the quest object.​
2. NPCs continue to have particle effects after I have traded for the quest object.​
3. The Queen NPC has a grammar issue: (this is the pedantic point)​
This isn't correct grammar, an ellipsis is 3 dots (...).​
4. All NPCs continued to have particles after I finished the final quest, as well as continued to have trades available.​
5. The Queen of Hearts initiates a fight at the end of her dialogue once the player has obtained the Heart Staff. There is no confirmation option to enter the fight, you must click the dialogue item in the GUI. This is unclear and does not follow other NPC dialogues which have previously required the confirmation option. If it felt confusing to someone who is relatively familiar with the dialogue system, I worry for those who are less familiar with it.​
Thirdly, I wanted to really quickly touch on the final reward for the main quest (defeating the queen). My first real issue with this quest was the lack of information I had going into it. Yes, the Kevin NPC describes the tasks (briefly) you must complete to start the quest, but the only other place that tells you what the reward is going to be is the Rewards NPC at the stalls, which, if you already have the Heart Storm spell, gives absolutely no warning that completing this quest will reward you nothing. (Not entirely true I suppose, I did end up keeping the Love Staff which I also think is unintentional?:

My issue with this is the lack of reward for players who put in the time and money (rough calculations estimate around 2,500 (ish) gold to complete the 9 NPC quests) and receive nothing because of no warning given, not even a simple reward like 100 event tokens.

To further reiterate my point of the lack of clarity in regards to rewards, I also wanted to include this message I found on Discord:

My final point is hopefully useful constructive criticism (though I hope I have already achieved that) in relation to events. I understand that the schedule for events is neither fixed, nor is it a priority in terms of what PW has planned for larger gameplay updates in the future. This is not a complaint about the reusing of the map, though I would like to take a second to also include this message from Discord which I feel was very relevant criticism:​
This was given no public answer, and I understand it was a conversation to be had with GD Leads/Flippy, however, it would have been nice to know the answer to that for previous members returning who worked on these builds/events previously (if it's possible to reply to this thread with it, perhaps?)​
Anyway, my main point being: if the schedule is tight and events are on the back burner, perhaps work on mini-events instead of large scale ones? I love love love what Overwatch is doing currently, where they have small one week events during which players can unlock a cosmetic. I would love to see something like that on Potterworld, adapted of course to fit with the event rewards, minigames, etc. and I believe it would take a good degree of pressure off of the GD team to create quests which have QoL issues mentioned previously. The message which prompted this feedback:​
To conclude, this is not in any way a call out post on anyone I have referenced here. These are just what I feel are all threads in the same conversation about this event, which now that I have brought them together, will hopefully provide some clarity to what I see as potential issues with this event that I personally would worry about being carried forwards. A long time ago I suggested a clearer way for developers/GD to interact with players by talking about what is upcoming in terms of events/gameplay, and getting immediate feedback from reactions, I hope this is something that is still being considered.​
Thank you if you made it this far! I hope my post made some sense, and I would love any feedback in relation to my concerns, and in particular, some information about what I mentioned I was unsure about.​
Thank you! <3​

Deniz

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: DenizTM
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire VIP SPEW
Hey there.

I want to start off by thanking you for creating this thread. You have a lot of super good points, and I completely understand where you are coming from.

I personally did not work on the event myself, so I have not been involved in the thought-process that has happened when this event was created. I, however, had a quick conversation with Flipendo and some other GD members, and they clarified some things:

First point:
We definitely see where you are coming from here, and the last thing we want is for players to feel like that the time they’ve put into the server has been a waste. Based on what Flipendo explained to me, the large profession experience rewards, should be seen as a ‘weekend double XP bonus’ kind of thing. Other servers do this quite frequently, and it was believed that this event would be a good time to do it as well.

We did, however, take a look at the current experience rewards for all three professions, and agreed that the reward was too low. We therefore decided that we will be multiplying all profession experience rewards by 10 once this event ends (this number could change). We will announce this change once we make it.

We want players to feel like the time they put into the server is worth it, and we don’t want old players who maxed out professions to feel like it was a waste of time, and that they should have waited. We want to do more XP boosts like these in the future, and we don’t necessarily feel like it’s a bad thing. It gives players a small window to get on, and work solely on their professions.

Balance changes happen in every game, and they definitely do here as well. Around a year later when we released professions, we took a look at how many players maxed it, and the number was incredibly low. So, we had to make changes, and boost the experience. We’re pretty much in the same situation now. Experience rewards are too low, and we have to up them. We want to do this, and hope it doesn’t make older players feel like they wasted their time. We’re constantly in development and learning new things, and this is one of them as well.

I hope this makes sense and clarifies your concern. If it doesn’t, please feel free to leave another comment, and I will be sure to clarify further. :)

Second point:
According to Flip, in this case, the NPCs having particles and being available again is intentional. This is because the quest can be re-taken, so the rewards can be given again. I haven’t done the quest myself, so I wouldn’t exactly know- but I’m just passing on the information that I received. Flip also stated that players are able to trade these items with other players, which is another reason why they are able to get it again.

We fixed the grammar mistake, though. Thanks for reporting it. Let us know if you find any mistakes like this again. Any mistake, regardless of its size, is worth reporting. :)

Third point:
We absolutely agree that we did not do enough of a good job here. We agree that we should have made the information more available, and clearer so players didn’t waste their time, doing something that they actually wouldn’t have done with the information available.

We apologize for this, and hope to not repeat the same mistake again for the future. We will work on making future information like these more available.

Final point:
We know that we haven’t been the best at communicating regarding the credits. It was brought up in an internal meeting, and decided that for all future events that are reused, credits will be given. We made a mistake here, and it will not happen for future events.

We do plan on making events a bit smaller, so we have more time to focus on the goal at hand, which is the Revelius update. We have invested a lot into that update, and want to make sure it gets done right. Once that update is out, we can go back to making large scaled quality events, like the one we had for Christmas, which we think was a huge success.

All in all, thank you for your feedback. It is truly very appreciated, and we definitely understand where you come from. As I said in the beginning, your points are good, and you help us shed light into things that we didn’t necessarily think of. If you have any further questions, concerns or feedback, please let us know! We're more than happy to listen to what you have to say. :D

PeachSoju

Notable Magician
Thank you for your very detailed answers! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain each one of my concerns in detail, and for clarifying my earlier questions. I definitely agree with your point about things being in development, and I think it will be interesting to see how the changes to experience rewards will impact professions. I also would like to thank you for communicating the internal decision in regards to credit for events, as I think it was a super important issue. I suppose the option to repeat the quests for player trading purposes does make sense, and with that knowledge now, I would actually like to compliment that decision as I think it is a unique way for players to earn gold and certainly gives more replayability to the event itself.

Thanks so much for your time. :)