DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Spell Branch Rework Ideas

Agreed Upon

• Agree with transfiguration suggestions

• Partially agree with transfiguration suggestions

• Disagree with transfiguration suggestions

• Agree with jinx suggestions

• Partially agree with jinx suggestions

• Disagree with jinx suggestions

• Agree with curse suggestions

• Partially agree with curse suggestions

• Disagree with curse suggestions

Results are only viewable after voting.

_Klene

Magician
Minecraft IGN: kleneupcuzstink
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
Spell Rework Suggestions begins around the third paragraph, everything beforehand is just my reasoning and core idea behind the suggestions
First and foremost, I want to say that the idea to have spells separated into specific classes such as Charm, Jinx, Curse, Defense, is a wonderful idea. I love the current spell system so much (in terms of combat) because it allows for so much personalization and unique styles. However, I feel that creativity would have more room to be viable if each branch was as viable as the other. In the current meta, Jinx is predominantly powerful. I feel this is because most of it's spells are skill shot. The three most viable spells are placed near the top of the branch as well. In contrast, other branches whose spells would be considered S-Tier are placed rather lower on the branch, which would require more spell points to magnify the power, leaving the player with less to use on other spells. As a player, I can't form the meta and I'm not trying to. Seeing the same thing being used by everyone (competitively) is tedious. The end goal with this forum is to promote diversity and creativity.
Another thing I noticed is the jinx power creep. If anyone played pre-revelius (around 2016-2017), you probably remember all the creative combos we could pull off. We would use all sorts of spells that wouldn't be considered jinx if the classifications were around then. Once again, I'm not trying to form a meta, I'm just suggesting the spell system be more forgiving for anyone not using jinx.

Beginning of Spell Suggestions, Reworks, etc

Charm: Charm spells are considerably good for combat.

Jinx: Jinx spells are extremely good for combat, as everything is instantaneous. I might get a little heat for suggesting this, but maybe adding cast-time to Propulso, Accersio, and Leviomora would help balance Jinx. Propulso wouldn't exactly be S-tier anymore. However, it's better than having a class full of S-tier spells. My intentions for the suggested changes aren't to degrade jinx into the ground. It's more so making Jinx become more combatable. (This next suggestion is completely unrelated to balance, but it would be so cool to see the old Leviomora. For some context, it would instantly lift people into the air and they would stay there for about 1-3 seconds. The time they are in the air was dependent on how often you casted it. It'd just bring back some fun times. I'm nostalgic, sorry.)

Curse: Curse has so much potential, and I see players take advantage of the poison effect in duels. Don't get me wrong, poison is a valuable strategy to play around. As well, there are counters to the poison, but the availability of the counters depends on the amount of spell points you spend on them. To put curse in balance with the other classes, I think increasing the damage of Antioculous (sorry if I butchered that...) would put it in the running to combat with the other skill-shot spells in the other classes. (There was a time when the cast-time on Conflamorous was removed. I'm curious to see how it would behave in the current meta.)

Transfiguration: This is so hard writing for this one without being overdramatic. Transfiguration is in a really good spot. In terms of damage, it is really lacking compared to the other classes. A damage buff in the skill shot spells would put Transfiguration back in the running (spells such as Aviforma and Glacios. Just to make transfiguration feel more oppressive rather than being ran down. Another change that'd be significantly impactful is removing the cast time on Magmify. The cast time makes the move rather easy to predict. Making the spell instant would require more effort to avoid.

Defense: The spells in this class are normally used along with spells from other classes. This was a bit more difficult to speak on, but keeping it as a 'support' class seems to be the best idea. One suggestion I've seen around the dueling community is to allow Fortifius to reduce poison effects (if possible). A cool concept for a new spell could be a life-steal spell. A skill-shot spell which would reward you HP for landing it.

These were just suggestions that were in my head for a while and have been talked about as far as I'm concerned. I hope you find some of these as interesting as I found them to be.

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Hiya @_KenE!

Thank you for taking the time and consideration on making your suggestion, as we're always eager to find ways to improve the server! Personally, I understand that a few adjustments could be made to improve the Spell Tree and the spells themselves, so it would be interesting to see the suggestions you made be applied. At this time, I'll bring it up to the rest of the Poltergeist Team for further discussion, and once the Leadership Team has made a decision, I'll return to you with a response as soon as possible!

Hope you have a nice day!

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Hiya @_Klene!

Sorry for the delay! I've returned to inform you that we have carefully decided to decline this suggestion, unfortunately. With the new Talents system, we believe that most of these suggestions have been implemented or act as an alternative to them. Regarding the slight changes to some of the Jinx spells, we will not be moving forward with them since we think those spells are balanced, but from the release of Talents, we have reverted leviocorpum to how it previously functioned when cast. As for Curse, we decided to have antioculus be more based on the blindness, but the damage was increased slightly compared to before talents. Some of the spells that are Transfiguration, including aviforma and glacios, were tested during the testing phase of Talents to check out their damage. We decided to increase the base damage to balance between different spells. For magmify, we are looking into potential functionality changes, but we haven’t discussed anything yet that will be set in stone. Regarding modifying fortificus, we believe it is already a good spell. We have also discussed adding lifesteal type spells in the past, but potentially as a talent, not an individual spell.

We hope you understand our decision! Thank you once more for creating these suggestions and sharing them with us! Have a lovely day!