DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Balancing of the Extra Credit Activities

Zmiya

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Zmiy
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
Hi all,

There is a new addition to the /daily GUI which gives us six new activities that you're able to complete for extra ACs and you can continuously finish them and redo them with no time restraints. I find the core of this idea interesting and a potentially good addition but I'm not a massive fan of its execution as it stands right now.

I want to start with the balancing of each of the six activities and we'll go through them one-by-one:

Attend 10 classes for 30 ACs
Using some simple quick division, at the end of completing ten classes, you can earn +3 ACs for each class you attended. I think this balancing is okay but the issue is that you can simultaneously complete this activity while completing the other five activities. You need to attend classes to complete the other five so you'll be completing this one too which feels pretty redundant?

Brew 5 class potions for 5 ACs
Again using simple division, you get +1 AC per class potion. Potions classes are super quick and easy so this may seem like fair balancing but factoring in the fact that you have to attend five of a specific class when you can earn 30 ACs for attending ten of any class makes the balancing quite a bit off imo.

Interact with the Class Helper NPC for 2 ACs
This one is the most unbalanced in my opinion because you simply can just collect +2 ACs every class period. This is only one AC less per class than what you can claim at the end of attending TEN classes. I'm also just not personally a fan of this activity as it is anyways, like I think it's too mundane of a task especially when there's only six tasks available.

Make it to the second stage of a Wiz PE course for 5 ACs
Meaning you only need to complete the first stage which - in all courses except like only two - the first stage is always insanely easy. But there lies another issue which is that not all courses have the same level of difficulty and so depending on the course, you'll either have to work hard for your +5 ACs or breeze through the first stage and collect them in 20 seconds flat.

Duel in 3 dueling classes for 7 ACs
Simple division again, this is +2.33 ACs per class. My only gripe with this one is the randomness of the ACs you get especially since the others give pretty standard values like 10, 5, 2 and 3.

Finish a flying course for 3 ACs
This is really the only one that I'm okay with. I'm not sure about the balancing because I cannot tell right now if it's too rewarding or not enough but it's a nice little bonus that is achievable by all - if not, most - players.

There's also two general issues with these activities too.

Number one is how much they tailor only to breeze classes like Potions, Flying, Dueling and Wizard's PE. There is not a single activity tailored for writing classes which frankly should be receiving features like this to increase engagement and motivation for players to attend them and not the classes which already receive the highest attendance due to their easy nature.

Number two is the fact that so many of these activities overlap with each other. If you attend a dueling class, you can claim your +3 ACs for attending a class, +2.33 ACs for dueling in a dueling class and +2 ACs for talking to the NPC. That is +7.33 ACs for every single dueling class. Wizard's PE is even worse. Attend a class for +3 ACs, finish the first stage for +5 ACs and talk to the NPC for +2 ACs is an extra +10 ACs every class.

Anyways, just to conclude, I want to reiterate that I think this feature is a good idea but personally I think the activities themselves need a rework to be more balanced and to just overall make more sense.

Thank you for reading.

Nives

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: annivelation
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Sr. Poltergeist
Hello, @Zmiya !

We recognize the valuable feedback outlined in this thread and will be making some changes based off feedback collected from staff and players. We'll go through each task and our decisions on them.

We will not be changing the 10 classes for 30 AC task because it takes a long period of time for most players to complete, and isn't a large amount of extra AC per an individual class. This is a flexible task so that players don't have to attend classes they don't enjoy to receive the rewards.
We will also not be changing the 5 class potions for 5 AC task as potions is a class taught in a wide range of timezones and we don't think anyone would not be able to complete this task after some time. We also think the number of AC is currently fair for this task.
As suggested, we will be replacing the interact with a Class Helper for a task with a notes class focus. We know this will increase the variety of classes players have to attend for the taskboard from just activity classes.
We will be lowering the 2nd stage of WizPE for 5 AC. The new value will be 2 AC, as we think it was previously too high.
We are happy with the balancing for participating in 3 dueling classes. While we acknowledge the number is not super simple, we think the value is balanced as is.
We will be keeping the finishing a flying course for 3 AC the same as is as well. We considered completing the course in x amount of time, or x amount of time after first place, but we believe this would be too difficult to implement and also this task if better for those who are not proficient in other areas of activity classes, such as parkour.

Since we are removing the interaction with the class helper NPC, we won't be having activities overlap the first task. We think the first task overlapping is okay because it allows for more opportunities to complete tasks.

We want to thank you for all of this feedback, as we really appreciate such a detailed input on new additions to the server! If you have any questions about our decisions, please let us know. We hope you have a wonderful day/night!

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
I think it would be more interesting if your tasks were circling, so once you finish one, you would get a whole new one. That way all classes would be covered eventually and you would constantly get new and different tasks.

cheddarsoup

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: cheddarsoup
Auralock Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
As suggested, we will be replacing the interact with a Class Helper for a task with a notes class focus. We know this will increase the variety of classes players have to attend for the taskboard from just activity classes.
We will be lowering the 2nd stage of WizPE for 5 AC. The new value will be 2 AC, as we think it was previously too high.
Can you just up the difficulty (ex. make it to the third or fourth stage) for more AC instead