DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
A Letter from the DD Lead Producers
Feature

Heya readers!

For those who are new: welcome!
For those who are not new: we’re very pleased to see you again!

Over the past few months, we, the DD Lead Producers, have worked very hard on the renewal of the Daily Diviner. The first step towards this was the hiring of the new Lead Producers. We decided that we wanted to work alongside the writers to make sure that the articles are consistently interesting within each edition. What we felt was missing in the previous issues, are the wizarding-style articles. For the new Daily Diviner, our goal is to create pieces that are written with a wizarding concept in mind, to reinforce the experience that PotterworldMC provides‍. We hope we have succeeded at this.

Together, with our awesome writers and editors, we are excited to announce the return of PotterworldMC’s biweekly newspaper: the Daily Diviner!

We want to thank both the players and our writers for their patience.

Though we have finished the renewal, we know it will take some take time to perfect. Please feel free to tell us what you think about this first issue! We hope you have a great time reading the Daily Diviner!

Greetings,
The DD Lead Producers
Joshua, Polar, Sunnya, and Emma

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Ministry Appoints New Chief Aurorlock
Feature
Written by ShaneChi
Edited by Sunnya

Controversy strikes after a long period of political stability in the Wizarding World following the appointment of Lauren Strudel to the office of Chief Aurorlock. After a speech made to the public earlier today, Strudel stated her intent to reform and strengthen law enforcement in the British Wizarding Community. She claims that she will increase surveillance and penalty over crime as a means to dissuade others from working against the Ministry. She also intends to increase the number of Aurorlocks by expanding the department’s training program for Hogsworth graduates. While our community’s newest protector seems to have strong ideas and a vision for the future, not everyone is in agreeance with the Chief Aurorlock’s plans.

Strudel has received support and praise from associates of her office as well as patriotic members of our community but has also been criticized harshly by many for her strong views. Vincent Frederick, a wizard living in the York area, expressed his distaste for increased Aurorlock power in a public rant in Diagonal Lane stating that “The Wizarding World is peaceful as-is! This is nothing but a power grab by these dirt-blooded Aurorlocks!” Thomas Victrix, ex-Dark Prison detainee and influential activist for inmate rights, gave his account on the matter declaring that “Increased power for the Aurorlocks will only mean more unjust arrests and abuse of power by Ministry officials. This decision is unacceptable and Studel’s stance must be put down for the good of wizardkind.” This backlash has caused many to question if Strudel will be backing down on her powerful changes, but so far she has maintained her intents for the future of her department and the wizarding world.

With Strudel in power, it seems that the Aurorlock department will be greatly expanding its borders. In coordination with the Wizencouncil, she intends to see many miscreants punished far greater than they would have in past Aurorlock administrations. Furthermore, Strudel states that she will be actively working to remove discrimination against unmagicals and those related to them from our society. Whatever your stance on these changes may be, all we can do at the present moment is to wait and see how this affects our community. The Daily Diviner wishes the best of luck to the new Chief Aurorlock as she works to improve our world, and hopes that these expansions will bring even more prosperity to the British Wizarding Community.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
A Message to the Wizarding World
Feature
Speech by Chief Aurorlock Lauren Strudel
I am deeply honored to have been selected to become the next Chief Aurorlock. I have been a member of the Aurorlock Department for several years now and in that time I have been a part of numerous missions and arrests. I am grateful for the recognition of my achievements and am truly humbled to accept this promotion. My excitement exceeds even that which I felt upon first joining the Aurorlock Department after graduating from Hogsworth, which I had not thought to be possible. Becoming the Chief Aurorlock has been a long-standing goal of mine since I was a young student listening to my father’s stories about defeating dangerous wizarding criminals. My passion continued as I began to make a name for myself in the Aurorlock Division. There is no group of wizards with more dedication, talent, or bravery than the Department of Aurorlocks that has had my back in countless situations over the years. I thank them for placing their trust in me to lead them into future missions.

In this position, I swear to do everything in my power to ensure that the law is upheld and peace is kept within the magical world. Specifically, I will focus the Aurorlocks’ main attention on ensuring the safety of all witches and wizards. Our means for achieving this are simple. Firstly, I would like to increase recruitment. I will be accepting more Hogsworth students into the Aurorlock training program than my predecessors. Having a larger department of skilled and highly trained witches and wizards will enable us to more closely watch for criminals. Secondly, I will not be as lenient with those that choose to break the law. Such individuals threaten the peace of our community and have made a conscious choice to disregard the rules that are the foundation of our current prosperity. I will be working closely with the Wizencouncil to ensure that these criminals are sent to the Dark Prison as a fit punishment for their crimes. I believe this will also dissuade others from acting similarly. Overall, combined increased surveillance and increased penalty will enable the wizarding community to be safer and more peaceful than it has been historically.

A personal value of mine that I would like to see reflected in our government is equality. Now that I have a voice in the Ministry, I will speak for those whose voices are not currently heard. I believe that the Aurorlocks have the responsibility to not only protect the safety of witches and wizards but also that of the other magical beings and creatures in our society. I would like to work to increase representation and later on the rights we grant to non-wizards. In the short term, however, the Aurorlocks will not be in any way tolerant of discrimination and abuse against non-wizards. I could not ask for a better department to support me in reaching the goals I have laid out for you all today. Thank you for your time and I look forward to serving the community as Chief Aurorlock.

- Chief Aurorlock Lauren Strudel

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
The Return of the Daily Diviner
Editorial

Written by GracieCake2006
Edited by Musiueq
The much-anticipated return of the Daily Diviner is here! Coming back from a long break in the supply of articles, the Wizarding World will once again be filled with the words and knowledge of the Daily Diviner authors. Writers are rejuvenated, article categories have been changed, and everyone at the Daily Diviner is determined to never miss a beat in their return. Hundreds of new and exciting articles are in store. The Daily Diviner is back in business!

With all the future publications come an update in the article categories. These aim to better entertain the readers, and paint a vivid picture of the magical world we live in. The categories have become Feature, Editorial, Lifestyle, Original Works, and Games and Sports. Previous categories of Opinion pieces and News have been adapted to provide a more engaging perspective for the readers.

These new articles are intriguing, but some might question the judgement of those working on the Daily Diviner. After all, it would seem that the ever-important category of news could not possibly be cut from an article lineup! However, in this age of connectivity and communication, what could once be referred to as "News" is outdated before it can even be read! The new article categories provide judgement and perspective on our world, and will inform without boring.

As for the additional, brand-new category of Lifestyle, which will surely catch the eye of any reader who happens upon the Daily Diviner, this category is about a life in the world around us. Everything from winter activities from new trends around Hogwarts and beyond can be covered, which makes it an exciting topic indeed. Offering a unique glimpse into the culture of our world, the novelty of this category will remain indefinitely.

Between ecstatic writers ready to create once again and the updated article topics, the return of the Daily Diviner is sure to delight readers everywhere. Plenty of marvelous, fresh new articles are in the future, and, in a few weeks, readers won’t even remember the Daily Diviner was ever gone!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Winter Waltz Tournaments
Games and Sports
Written by BaffledRabbit
Edited by Cweamish

The holiday season is here, and with it comes everyone’s favorite Winter Waltz. As always, there is something special in store - the Winter Waltz Tournaments - competitions in both dueling and flying. These are not like the regular monthly tournaments. Instead of trying out for qualifiers as soloists, participants can gather their friends and compete in teams or duos.

Both the Dueling and Flying components will have two tournaments this year - a Duos Tournament and a Teams Tournament. Duos, of course, will be teams of just two, while teams must have four members; so participants can gather up from among their friends the star duelists and champion flyers of their choosing to create a formidable team.

Christmas will come early for those who win, as they’ll be competing for exclusive rewards, including a collectible firework launcher for the winning teams of four. As for the winning duos, they’ll receive a special collectible with a spell to proudly display the victors’ MC heads.

The Duos Tournaments were held on December 7th and the Teams Tournaments will be held on the 14th. Congratulations to our winners...

Dueling Duos
Winning team - Booster Maxine V1: MeWinning and Bastaii

Flying Duos
Winning team - BriffinsWithoutB: TNTCrafterMC and Frebii

Dueling Teams
Winning team - Booster Maxine V2: MeWinning, Bastaii, JackkFrost and iQuackLikeADuck

Flying Teams
Winning team - 74425568_159.jpeg: MeWinning, JackkFrost, iQuackLikeADuck and LindsYUH

Congratulations to the winners of the tournaments, and also to everyone who participated. We hope you all had fun and we’ll be looking forward to next year! Have a jolly holiday!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Pick a Winter Activity & Get Sorted Into a House!
Lifestyle
Written by Carolllyn
Edited by Musiueq

It’s winter in our wizarding world and I think that we can all agree that the first thing that comes to mind is Hogsend. The snow-covered houses, endless shops, interesting magical people, unique things to eat… oh my gosh, there are so many things to do! How can one pick? Well, in this article, you must. I have created an amazingly accurate quiz that determines the Hogsworth House that you would be sorted into based upon the first winter activity you indulge in once you arrive to Hogsend. Let’s begin!

Ice Skating:
It’s quite daring of you to choose ice skating. Will you dabble in some tricks such as a figure-eight or maybe some twirls in midair? The answer is, of course, because you are a Griffin! Known to be the bravest and most competitive of all the houses, ice skating is a perfect blend of showing off and trying new things.

Shopping:
Couldn’t resist the urge to head straight to the dazzling windows of the shops? Every item you buy just adds to your wit and knowledge of the world around you. A Raven like you purchases with care, not just for fun or on an impulse. Knowledge is being accustomed to new things. So, you make sure to buy things you have never seen before and want to learn more about.

Building Snowmen:
No, you don’t build snowmen because you are lonely and need fresh company. You build snowmen because the construction of such a creature requires resourcefulness, which you love. Serpents are the most resourceful house of the four and, being one myself, I can account for that. Where you get the snow, accessories, and tools each make up for careful planning in advance, and you are better at nothing else than an ambitious blueprint like this one.

Drinking Butterbrew with Friends:
Sitting down for a drink of butterbrew with a few friends is the secret recipe for influencing loyalty, patience, and the best of friendships among you guys. There is no other house for you besides Badgers. Being cozy and kind with others is the main aspect of fitting the requirements of this house. And guess what? You do!

So, was this quiz the absolute epitome of accurate? I’d hope so. But, if you really want to let me know how much you liked this quiz or what could have been better about it, send me a book and quill via the owlery. It’s my favorite way to get feedback from you guys! I hope each and every one of you enjoyed this fun little quiz. This was Carolyn Lestrange reporting for the Daily Diviner!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Preparing for Winter
Lifestyle
Written by BeanCheese
Edited by Cweamish

Hello everyone and welcome back to a new edition of the Daily Diviner! I’m Aria, and we’re very excited to be back! But moving on with the article, the wonderful Chrissy (YeetChris) has kindly joined us for an interview! She’ll be telling us about how she prepares for Winter and what she does during the season, maybe you’ll like a few of her habits!

A: Hey Chrissy! How are you?
C: Howdy! I’m good, thank you! How about you?

A: I’m doing well myself, thanks! Now, moving on to the questions; How do you prepare for Winter?
C: Well prepping for the winter isn't really hard for me as I'm never cold. I usually deal with a lot of stuff like Thanksgiving and Christmas, helping prepare it, just making sure everyone is having an enjoyable time. But it doesn’t mean I don’t use the cold time as an excuse for some more hot drinks!

A: What do you like about Winter?
C: I love the darker leaves and cold winds. Decorating for the holidays is always fun and getting to bring out the Hot Cocoa.

A: What do you do during the holidays? Do you stay at Hogsworth?
C: Usually I wouldn’t stay at Hogsworth so I can enjoy the festive season with my family and friends! We usually eat popcorn while watching Christmas movies, eat a plump turkey and other old traditions.

A: Do you celebrate any traditions during the season? If so, which ones?
C: I do- Christmas! Usually, we make delicious cookies for Santa and open one present on Christmas Eve and the rest on Christmas and I celebrate it with my family.

A: What are you most looking forward to seeing on Potterworld?
C: Obviously, the Winter Waltz haha! It’s my favourite event and the first one I got to see all the way back in 2015.

A: Well, that’s it for the questions! Thank you so much for joining us today!
C: Thank you for having me! I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

Unfortunately, this is it for this interview. Do you do similar things to Chrissy? Or are you polar opposites? We hope you liked the article and enjoy the rest of this issue!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
A Magical Christmas: Part 1
Original Works
Written by kvmw
Edited by Polarxo

JOSHUA WAS SEVENTEEN. That meant a great many things to him, the most important of which was that he could perform magic outside of school. Magic outside of school. He relished the thought. He often loathed the rule—did the Ministry not think that teenagers were incapable of controlling themselves? It was not like the rule worked very well anyway. The Trace only told you about the location, not the actual person. Any pure-blood or half-blood could perform magic within their own house, because they could blame it on the parents.

Not him, however.

This was something that had nagged him in the past six years at Hogsworth. While he was routinely the best in school, along with his semi-friendly rival Ailee, he often had to work very hard at the beginning of each year to catch up.

But now was not the time to worry about that. It was the middle of his seventh year at Hogsworth—Christmas break, exactly—and he found himself staring up at the galaxy-painted ceiling of his bedroom. He had been home for a grand total of two days, but was already itching to do magic.

And now that he was seventeen, he could do it.

He sat up quickly, eager to try what he could do. Accersio, clothes!, he thought, having already mastered non-verbal spells.

The door of his closet flew open, and every single pair of pants, shirts, sweaters, and jackets flew towards him, landing on him with a loud thump.

“Joshua?” he heard his mom shout over the Christmas music playing downstairs. “Have you fallen off your bed again?”

“I’m fine, mom!” he shouted back.

He looked back at the pile of clothes that now sat upon him. Maybe he had been a little too quick to use magic, for something as basic as getting clothes. Magic should be used for important things, he reminded himself. A little fun here and there was alright, but if he continuously did it then magic would lose its charm.

Joshua struggled out of the clothes, waving his wand once more. The clothes immediately returned themselves to the closet, even organizing them by color and type. “That’s handy,” Joshua mused as he prepared for the day.

“Joshua?” his mom asked, as he clambered down the stairs. “Are you going to the orphanage again this year to help out with the Christmas celebration?”

“Of course,” he said. “They still open at 9, right?”

His mom hummed in agreement, setting a stack of Eggnog French Toast in front of him. It was a tradition his family had ever year, and it was one of his favorite things about breakfast. “Is dad coming to watch the pageant?”

Last year, his father had missed the Christmas pageant that the orphanage usually had. They did not make much money off of it, being unable to buy the necessary props and costumes, but it was still great fun for the children.

“He should be home by twelve,” his mother mused. “He has a surgery at seven, but he should be done by then. As long as there isn’t a surgery before then, he should be able to come.”

Joshua nodded, satisfied. “Thanks, mom.”

“Anything for you, Joshua.”

“Josh!”

As Joshua entered the orphanage, two kids rushed to greet him. He smiled warmly as they clutched his waist—he could remember when they only reached his thighs. “Wendy! Mark! How are you two?”

The two were orphans from Canada, and as such, they had bonded quickly. They were the oldest of the seven orphans who lived here.

“We’re good, Joshy!” Wendy said. “In fact, we’re excellent!”

“Now that you’re here!” Mark finished. “Did you know? We’re doing Cinderella for this year's pageant! Aunt Lisa said she’d going to have to find a transforming dress for us, but it’s going to be awesome!”

“That sounds amazing!” Joshua said. “Why don’t you show me where Aunt Lisa and Aunt Rose are? I need to talk to them about how I can help!”

“You’ll make it tons better,” Wendy observed, leading Joshua to the kitchen. “The plays are never as special without you, Joshy.”

“Thanks, Wendy,” he said fondly, patting her back as he stepped into the kitchen. “Aunt Lisa! Aunt Rose! It smells wonderfully!”

“Joshua, always the flatterer,” Aunt Rose said, smiling as she came to hug him. “You’ve grown taller, again! How are you? We miss you around here. How is boarding school?”

He had lied about where he was going during the school year. He couldn’t tell his Aunts that he was going to a school of magic—it was forbidden. “Boarding school is great! The food is great as well,” he smiled cheekily. “Almost as good as your food.”

Aunt Rose pretended to slap him with the spatula she was holding. “I highly doubt it. Perhaps you need my cooking to remind you?” She smiled.

“You’re cooking will always be the best,” Joshua said. “Now, I heard Aunt Lisa was looking for a special dress?”

“You should go talk to her about that,” Aunt Rose mused. “She’s fretting about it in her office.”

“Okay, thanks, Aunt Rose!”

He stepped outside—Aunt Lisa’s office was a converted little shed that had been equipped with electricity and heating. She liked to watch the outside world through the window of the shed— especially at this time of year, the pure white snow covering the landscape in a sparkling, white blanket. He made his way along the partially-concealed pathway that led up to the shed—he could see a warm, golden light through the window.

He knocked on the door—Aunt Lisa hated it when people walked in without announcing themselves. A few seconds later, the door opened, revealing a bright, middle-aged, red-haired woman with a large smile on her face. “Joshua! I knew you were coming! Come in, come in.” She hurried him through the door and plopped him on an old, worn red sofa that he had sat in many times before.

“How are you, Joshua?” she asked, sitting on the couch opposite. “School alright?”

“Yes, Aunt Lisa,” he said. “I was just telling Aunt Rose about how their cooking was nearly as good hers.” The two shared a laugh.

“I doubt their winters are as pretty as ours,” Aunt Lisa said, offhandedly. Indeed, where the orphanage was located had very pretty winters. It never snowed enough that there were storms, but it snowed enough to dust the homes and shrubbery of the area, giving the town a winter-wonderland feel.

If anything, however, Hogsworth could well compete. The castle grounds only became more magnificent with the winter storms, tall spires of stone and snow towering of the landscape. The Great Lake, frozen over, creating a frozen mirror of ice. The Great Hall, candles basking the room in a warm glow as snowflakes danced across the enchanted ceiling.

“It’s...different,” Joshua offered.

“This school of yours must be very magical,” she observed. Joshua laughed awkwardly as she continued, “Why else have you come to me, Joshua? I can tell you have something you want to say.”

“Am I not allowed to visit you?” Joshua teased. “But you’re right, as always, Aunt Lisa. I heard you're looking for a special dress? I wanted to help.”

Aunt Lisa’s face immediately saddened. “This pageant is very important to the children. I want to make it different, more magical, this year, but I don’t know how…”

“I can help,” Joshua repeated.

“Are you sure?” she asked. “I don’t want to trouble you.”

“Really, Aunt Lisa,” he said. “I love the children nearly as much as you do. Let me help them!”

“If you insist.” Aunt Lisa smiled. “The pageant is in a week, as you well know. I wish you luck.”

To be continued in the next issue of the Daily Diviner!

Status
Not open for further replies.