DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Bring on Spring!
Feature
Written by RiverberryRani
Edited by Polarxo

Hello everyone and welcome back to the 10th edition of the Daily Diviner! In today’s article, we’ll be bringing you coverage of the 2020 Spring event. In a surprising turn of circumstance, it seems that this yearly event isn’t being hosted by the Hogsworth School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, but instead, the school and its students will be working with the bunnies! For the longest time, Choco Hops have been the most popular and frequently purchased chocolate of the wizarding world. But now, the bunnies have been eagerly trying their best to increase their chocolate production in order to get back on top! This year they’re finally ready for it, and have enlisted the help of the students in order to fulfill their dream! Their goal is to create enough chocolate bunnies for everyone, and they have decided to hold a friendly competition between the 3 biggest chocolate bunny companies; Delectable Magical Delights (Delly’s), Million-Hares Chocolates (Hare’s), and Hop’s Sugary Delights (Hop’s).

Per tradition, the great hall courtyard of Hogsworth has been decorated in a beautiful Easter theme. We wish our Easter eggs came in that size! Speaking to the recruiter bunny on the right side of the courtyard will teleport you to the bunny tunnels where the competition is taking place. You will then meet a Recruiter bunny who will give you the rundown and assign you to one of the 3 companies. From there, it’s now up to you! Using the drops from the mobs around the tunnel and rewards from the parkour, you’ll create a potion in one of the bases and then combine it with some chocolate. The ingredients for the potion can be found upon killing the mobs around the tunnel, namely Mandrakes, Demoxie Eggs, Wormwood, and Enchanted Carrots. You can collect the mandrakes from the live mandrakes mob and Demoxie Eggs from the Demoxie’s towards the back of the tunnels. Wormwood is collected from the resource nodes which are found around the tunnel, and finally, you can receive 2 Enchanted Carrots by completing the Bunny Parkour located near the Delly’s base. Once you have created the potion, you will need to mix it with chocolate which can be dropped by the frogs jumping around the entrance of the tunnel. Warning, while the frogs are friendly, the other mobs aren’t so welcoming! Once you have mixed the potion with the chocolate, you will receive a chocolate bunny that can be gifted to the Recruiter in your base. This will then contribute to your company’s overall score. In a special interview with the Recruiter bunny, the Daily Diviner has been informed that there will be a special reward for the company with the most chocolate bunnies made at the end of the competition! I wonder what it could be?

The hard work that the students will and have already been placing into the spring event will not go unrewarded. Students who personally contribute 10, 50, 100 and 200 chocolate bunnies will receive a special reward upon reaching those digits! In addition, when the company altogether reaches 3,000, 6,000, 9,000 and 12,000 chocolate bunnies in total, all members will gain access to another special reward. Each company will receive the same items, however, the designs will differ depending on which company you are in, so don’t worry about not being able to switch!

The spring event for 2020 is extremely different from anything we here at the Daily Diviner have ever seen before. That being said, we look forward to the results that this change will bring, especially the opinion on the new and improved potions system which is in use for this event. I’d like to give a huge thank you to those who worked to make this event what it is. JessicaTM, FLiiiPENDO, the GD team, RobotWizz, and the build team all worked together to create this event for us all, and without them, it wouldn’t have been possible. Make sure to also check out the trailer for the spring event on the PotterworldMC youtube channel! Have a good one witches and wizards, and thank you for reading the Daily Diviner.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Are the Housing Awards Well-Built or Bust?
Editorial

Written by ShaneChi
Edited by maddinq
Approximately a month ago, the Ministry of Magicians announced a community-wide housing competition! All members of our magical community were permitted to enter the competition for a two week period following the announcement. Housings are not required to be built by those who submitted it, however, individuals must own the housing that they submitted to the competition. Unfortunately, entries for the competition are now closed, but everyone can still vote for their favorites until April 20th! Voting can be done via a Google Form on the potterworldmc.com website! However, despite all this organization, some individuals have still questioned whether a housing-competition is truly worth our time. It is this that we shall determine here!

Naturally, there are several reasons that the Housing-Awards are an outstanding idea! In particular the teamwork, building of self-confidence, general encouragement of creativity, and a possible introduction to newcomers into the world of building! However, several cons to the competition are also present, explaining the concerns of some members of our community. Namely, the potential for building strife between competitors, discouragement for those who aren’t nominated, and the fact that those with less building experience could be disadvantaged! Both sides of this argument have very strong points, but that shall not halt our crusade for the truth!

As previously stated, there are several reasons why the Housing-Awards could be beneficial or negative towards our community. Competition is always a difficult subject and often depends on personal perspective, but an answer does exist! In the end, the Housing-Awards is truly an outstanding concept. Although it is possible that strife could be built between competitors, the goal of the competition is friendly competition, which strengthens bonds between competitors rather than weakening them! Furthermore, the competition will encourage those who are newer or not nominated to work harder in the future, creating a future generation of excellent builders! It is for these reasons that the Housing-Awards will be very beneficial towards our community, and why we strongly encourage all of our readers to participate in the voting as well as potential future competitions of all sorts! The Daily Diviner thanks its readers for their attention, and reminds them to stay safe, stay questioning, and stay reading!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Top Dueling Spells Review
Games and Sports
Written by AriaChi
Edited by PotatoEmma

Hello everyone and welcome back to another edition of the Daily Diviner! Dueling is a popular way to have fun, but for some it isn’t easy to figure out what spells to use. Luckily, we will be interviewing CleckShock and LittleI about the best dueling spells!

What do you think the best dueling spells are? Why is this?
Cleck: I have what I think are the best dueling spells in my hotbar. My attack spells are: Cascamorous, Divindo, Stupificus, Ignis, Ignatium, Venenox, Aquamentium, Conflamora and Glacio. My supportive spells are: Purificus, Renervo, Appareo, Ascendo Protego and Vulnera. I think these are the best dueling spells because they work with the meta and talents. As well as this, fall damage and fire damage are OP nowadays. They’ve helped me win duels very often so I can state that they will likely- if not definitely- help you get better once you get familiar with them.

Little: I think they often change. Nowadays, fire spells and Ignis have been buffed. Ignis is probably the most commonly used fire spell as it has a low cooldown, is an AOE (Area Of Effect) spell and has decent range and pushes opponents back. Another spell is Stupificus: it’s probably the most widely used combative spell on the server due to its eight-base damage and its ability to stop your opponent from casting for two seconds and five seconds with a headshot. Aquatimentum would be another good spell as it shoots out a jet of water which can push opponents and deals seven damage; this spell can be combined with other spells, like Ignis and Stupificus. If combined with Stupificus, you can use Aquatimentum to push opponents up into the air and cast Stupificus if not countered. This deals both the damage of Stupificus and Aquatimentum, plus fall damage.
Good spells for countering would be Purificus, which stops the user from being on fire, and Finite Enchantum, which stops fire, wither, poison, being stunned, and being frozen in place. Another good counter would be Resolvus. This is the counter to Levio Corpum, a spell that levitates your opponent in the air for a few seconds. Resolvus can also be used to counter things like slowness or, again, being frozen in place by Paralotum, although with Resolvus it doesn't stop you from not being able to cast. Finite Encantum, on the other hand, does. Resolvus is one of the best counters because of it’s low casting time and overall usefulness. Resolvus can cure poison and stop you from being stunned.

Do you think that best dueling spells depend on the person dueling? How so?
Cleck: Indeed they do; most of the spells that allow you to do a high amount of damage require a nice aiming and skill. Dueling can come more naturally to some but others might struggle, so even though these spells can most certainly help you, practise is a necessity.

Little: I don’t think the best dueling spells depend on the person. For example, a spell like Stupificus is universally used by pretty much every good duelist. Although some of the best spells do depend on the style one uses I'm, for example, quite a close-range duelist where I like to stay closer and deal damage using combinations of spells, like fall damage and fire damage. A more mid-long range would rely heavier on aim than close-range combos, although with all duelists you have to figure out a counter for the type of dueler they are. Some duelists use peculiar combinations of spells that are complex, hard to do and deal a lot of damage. They are barely counterable, but one must find a way to counter even those very difficult-to-counter spells.

Are there any downsides to using the spells mentioned? What are they?
Cleck: Yes, not hitting the player will give you a 5-12 seconds cooldown before you can attack again with this same spell. Depending on your dueling style, you can carefully avoid this. The easiest way to make the best of it is training. It also helps a lot to discover your style and, normally, what spells you need. This really depends on the person’s dueling style: some are close-combat, while others need a little more distance. I don't want to sound like I'm showing off, but I think I do good on the three styles. This is, however, part of a four-year practice. From a lot of duels, I know my speciality is long distance, but if it's required to kill someone from close by I am capable of doing it.

Little: The downside to Aquatimentum and Ignis is that they require the dueler to be more or less close to the opponent. Despite the fire being counterable and Aquatimentum not being exactly the best damage spell and both of them being semi-easy to escape, both are good in combination with other spells. Stupificus doesn't have that much of a downside to using, the biggest one being the amount of Mana used, which I believe is 40, but I could be wrong.
A spell which is good but has downsides is, for example, Flamonstrum, which does quite a bit of damage but locks you in place while casting. It can also be deflected using Protello or any other shield spell. Flamonstrum also has quite a long cast time, although this can be cut in half using the alacrity talent.

Thank you CleckShock and LittleI for those sublime answers! Sadly, this marks the end of this interview. Has this made you want to change your dueling strategy? Do you think there is a reason why not every answer correlates with one another?
Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer Horoscopes
Lifestyle
Written by Carolllyn
Edited by maddinq

Hello witches and wizards! Welcome to another one of my lifestyle articles (the best articles out there)! In this edition, I will be diving into one of my favorite things to discuss: horoscopes. So, first of all: “What even are horoscopes?” you may ask. Well, to be concise, a horoscope is a little guidance that the universe decided to give us. “How does it predict the aspects of my life, specifically?” is another commonly asked question. Your horoscope is based on your zodiac signs, representing much of who you are. Today, I will be delivering your horoscope if your sun sign is Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer. Before continuing, I suggest figuring out what your sun sign is by looking up the zodiac dates and finding out where your birthday corresponds.

Aries: Aries, you are the baby of the zodiac signs! And what do babies do? They learn new things! In the near future, you might take up a new hobby, master a fresh spell, and more. Stay keen on looking for new opportunities. Going to an enchanted class or getting guidance from other wizards are great ways to begin.

Taurus: As a Taurus, you are one of the most ambitious signs of the zodiac, never one to give up! If there are any Hogsworth-assigned projects, mystical goals, or other things you have ever wanted to accomplish, now is the best time to do so! Whatever you do around this magical time, it will be especially wonderful.

Gemini: Geminis are known to be the absolute life of the party! Two-sided, multi-sided, whatever-sided you may be, soon, it would be a good idea to use your outgoing-side. Your already epic personality will be enhanced, so you must use this to your advantage. Perhaps inviting your friends to hang out over a few cups of butterbrew in Hogsend is in the cards.

Cancer: Yes, you Cancers have a reputation to be overly sensitive, but that’s not always a bad thing! Your sensitivity to others’ needs gives you a strong protectiveness over loved ones. Soon, you will need to cater to your vigilant ways. Maybe you will buy a pet owl or spend time with your family (even your unmagical family members); the possibilities are endless.

How accurate were these horoscopes? I know right, completely accurate, crazy accurate, magically accurate, of course, because I wrote them. I cannot wait to see the horoscopes for the rest of the zodiac signs! Let me know what your zodiac sign is by messaging me on discord, in-game, or just classically sending a book and quill to me. I’m a Leo, the superior sign, and am so excited for the edition with my horoscope in it! Stay tuned for the coming weeks to see the completion of the horoscope series. Hope you guys enjoyed my article! This was Carolyn Lestrange reporting for the Daily Diviner!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Efforts By the Team Members
Lifestyle

Written by RiverberryRani
Edited by MorganChi

Hello and welcome back to this edition’s Lifestyle article! In today’s article, we will be looking at the enormous effort that the members of the PotterworldMC department teams put into the server. But first, what are the different teams? Here on Potterworld we have a total of 7 departments; moderation, academics, game design, media, community management, build, and development! Each department contributes to the server, but for those of you that are unaware of their duties - here are the basics!

Moderation keeps chat a safe place for all players, while academics hosts the classes we love to attend. Media handles the social media accounts, such as Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube, as well as things like the creation of renders and images, and even the DD! Community management is the newest department, and its job is to open up more communication between the player base and staff, while build creates everything you see around the server! GD and dev together create the amazing events, quests, minigames, and everything interactive on the server! Without them, you wouldn’t be able to do things such as memory walker and the daily riddle. Today I will be interviewing SimplyAna, SysterTM, Deivius, Scotticus_, ShaneChi, LindsYUH, and Pikachu_789. So with that, let’s get right into this!

It is no secret that team members can spend a lot of time in-game for their duties. Quests aren’t just created in a blink of an eye, you know! But what is the average we spend online? Here are their responses!
Ana: The average of my entire time as staff (excluding hiatus) is 19.4 hours per week.
Syster: I used to spend more than 30 hours a week on the server. Nowadays, I average around 10 actually on the server and 5 hours on discord.
Scott: It varies normally. I would say an average of 5-10 hours daily.
Dance: I don't have any major occupation currently, so I am usually free. I'm on Potterworld for a significant portion of the day; if I were to pinpoint a number that'd be hard as it varies.
Linds: Normally I spend about 2-3 hours online daily, however recently due to having less work with online classes and generally more free time, it's been about 4 hours online daily.
Toby: I am usually not online very much. I would say a couple hours on a good week.
Shane: I'm actually homeschooled, so my schedule varies depending on what day it is. On the days that I have to take classes outside of my home, I generally only get in one-ish or so hours. However, I aim to get in at least 2-3 hours on the days that I am freer.

As mentioned before, things like quests aren’t created quickly - even classes take a while! As you can guess, we can spend hours working on different projects, but what about our interviewees?
Ana: Hosting / helping in classes usually takes an hour, a lesson plan can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours, and writing a textbook takes a LONG time.
Syster: I spend at least 5 hours on moderating, for my Dev work it really depends on the task, some can take 10 minutes, others can take 3 full 8 hour days.
Scott: Really depends on what I am working on. A small project can take 2-7 hours, or even a couple of days. While a larger project can take days to even weeks to complete.
Dance: Unlike most other roles, as a Poltergeist I don't really have a 'set' objective that I can be done with. We constantly discuss feedback and things of the sort, and it's basically never-ending.
Linds: Usually I am able to handle my responsibilities in Moderation while I'm online, so probably about 3-4 hours a day or whenever I'm online. As an Arena Master, it takes around 1-2 hours to prepare and host qualifiers/tournaments, and sometimes I also like to host flying challenges which take around 45 minutes
Toby: It depends on what work needs to be done. It usually will only take 10-25 minutes.
Shane: Each class I teach takes about an hour to complete. I generally spend about two hours per week teaching, but that can also vary based on certain circumstances.

Lastly, but certainly not least, it’s common knowledge by now that we staff members hardly sleep. A lot of us head to bed at times like 1 in the morning as we spend time working on projects! But is this the same for all staff members?
Ana: I get about 5 hours of sleep, though sometimes I don't go to sleep until 11 am or later then it's more of a nap.
Syster: This might come to a surprise to you because most staff members have a bad sleeping schedule, but I get 7.5 hours of sleep every night.
Scott: I really don't sleep that much hahaha... I get about 5-7 hours typically.
Dance: Potterworld doesn't interfere at all with this, but I don't know if that was the question. I usually get about 9-ish hours, any less and I am not ready for the day.
Linds: Normally about 7 hours.
Toby: Whenever I don't set an alarm I usually get about 10 hours of sleep.
Shane: I make sure to wake up every morning at exactly 8:00 AM. Furthermore, I always aim to fall asleep somewhere between 9:00 PM and 12:00 AM to ensure that I get at least 8 hours every night. This is rarely if ever, hindered by my online responsibilities, so I generally keep a healthy sleep schedule.

In conclusion, the work and effort that each and every team member puts into the server is beyond reasonable. Each of these amazing people spend hours of their day working to make sure each of us has an amazing Potterworld experience. I’d like to thank those who I had the honor of interviewing, and in general, all staff both past and present, who spend their time working for our enjoyment! Next time you see a staff member online, make sure to thank them for all that they do!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
The Easter Hunt of Homework
Original Works
Written by kvmw
Edited by maddinq

The atmosphere of lunch in the Great Hall greatly differed from breakfast, for the sole reason that a special event had been announced to celebrate Easter. The teachers of Hogsworth had long been famous for giving excessive amounts of homework over the Easter holidays, despite the fact exams were ages away.

So to the whole school’s excitement, the Headmaster had announced an Easter hunt of homework—not that he called it that, but the students had gotten around to calling it the Homework Hunt. He had said that the castle would be filled with eggs containing questions and tasks related to Easter. The student who found and completed the most tasks in the eggs would be exempt from all homework over the Easter season.

The Headmaster added that, however, all participating students must have a passing grade average in all their required classes, much to some student’s chagrin.

There were various reactions to the competition, but the general consensus was eagerness, and that winning the competition would be a very wonderful thing indeed. That night, the library was more full than Kyla Graham had ever seen in her life. And she would know—along with her friend Kai Evans, the two spent nearly every night in the library.

The week between the announcement and the competition passed by quickly, and Kyla soon found herself standing in the entrance to the Great Hall as the various students without a passing average in every class dispersed to their common rooms or the library, looking enviously at the competitors. The crowd soon died down until only about a hundred students remained.

“Emma Higgs, go to class. You do not have a passing grade in Charms.”

With a grumble, she left the crowd, where she had been hopefully hiding the entire time. The Transfiguration teacher, who was directing this entire process, nodded to the rest of the students. “It should be common sense that you should not cheat. If I catch any of you cheating, you will get more homework—from all your teachers.

“Cheating includes any method of getting more eggs besides looking for them by yourself, by hand—no magic, unless the task in the egg requires it. Is that understood?”

The students chorused their agreement, and the teacher nodded. “You may begin. Return in two hours. Do not be late.”

And the competition began.

It was a tiring competition for sure—Kyla had tried finding as many eggs as possible, but found great difficulty in doing so. Most of the places she visited had already been searched, and the easiest eggs to find were gone.

She still found a few—she, in fact, had all the colors of the rainbow except for blue, which was a pity, because it was her favorite color. Her red egg had asked her why eggs were originally dyed red. Her green egg had asked why eggs were given. Her yellow egg had asked the origin of the rabbit who laid eggs.

“To represent the blood of Christ; to symbolize rebirth; the Anglo-Saxon festival of Eastre, which involved a spring goddess who used a rabbit to represent fertility.”

Her white egg had instructed her to decorate it. Her ornately decorated egg had asked her to find one exactly similar to it—needless to say, she failed that task. Her purple egg told her to get a hot cross bun from the Great Hall. But beyond that, Kyla spent most of the morning trying to look for eggs, rather than completing their tasks.

When she returned to the entrance hall, she was dismayed to see that most other students had more eggs than her, their baskets nearly full of eggs. Momentarily, Kyla wondered how Kai was doing—they had not seen each other all morning, as to prevent any hard feelings.

The teachers were going around to examine all the students who had been asked to decorate eggs, to ensure they had done it properly. Some of the students, who had not expected the teachers to check, angrily threw their eggs away—Kyla could see that some of them did not even have anything on them.

The Charms teacher, who was the one to see Kyla’s egg, smiled at her and complimented it. That in itself was enough for Kyla—she did not expect to win anymore, but at least the Charms teacher had noticed her.

“The results are in,” the Transfiguration teacher said. “The student who will be exempt from all homework over the Easter break is...Kai Evans. Congratulations. Try not to let your brain rot over the Easter holidays.”

The crowd laughed, and Kai sidled up to Kyla. “Congratulations, Kai!” she said.

“Thanks, Kyla,” he said ruefully. “I feel bad, though. What if my brain does rot?”

She snorted. “That won’t happen.”

“Maybe I should still do some homework,” he contemplated. “Hey, what do you think about splitting your homework, half and half?”

Kyla looked at him with wide eyes. “You would do that?”

He shrugged. “Why not?” His smile was cheeky as he took her arm and led her back to their common room, as the eggs in Kyla’s basket disappeared. “We wouldn’t want my brain to rot, would we?”

“No, we most certainly wouldn’t.”

Status
Not open for further replies.