DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Six Years of Magical Memories
Feature

Written by: Serpentella
Edited by: MaggieChi
Hello lovely readers! Welcome back to the Daily Diviner, your favorite source for biweekly news! Today, we’ll be discussing our celebration of Potterworld’s 6th anniversary! I can’t believe it’s been six whole years, can you? Ever since its official launch on May 18th, 2014, all of Potterworld’s players have been able to immerse themselves in a magical wonderland. Events such as the beloved Valentines’ Day, Halloween, and Christmas events have brought a unique charm to the wizarding world of Potterworld over the years. The anniversary event on the server allows everyone to celebrate Potterworld’s official opening. Let’s jump right into the anniversary event, shall we?

As mentioned before, the event celebrates Potterworld’s birthday. However, it’s not a proper birthday party without some fun activities! As always, the courtyard is adorned in purple and the giant birthday cake has returned, now topped with a candle commemorating the original opening in 2014. Inside of this cake, you can visit the Fine Arts Fair, an annual side event celebrating music, arts, theater, and other creative aspects of Potterworld; warp to the Magical Maze, a challenging and exciting activity in which you navigate the giant maze, earn AC, and search for a collectible item; and begin the brand-new Media Department scavenger hunt, in which you search through Potterworld’s various platforms to earn a special prize! On top of this, you can also enter a skin-making and writing contest that celebrates Potterworld! I’d like to thank the Media and Game Design team for their hard work that went into producing this amazing event.

As we celebrate six years of Potterworld memories, I’ve been recalling some of my earliest memories of the server. I remember first joining the server back in 2016 and falling in love with the magic, builds, and community. I was dazzled by the incredible things you could do on Potterworld, such as casting spells and exploring the halls of Hogsworth. The community welcomed me with open arms and from that point on, I couldn’t keep myself away! Potterworld has given me so many amazing memories from the time I first joined to present day. I remember my first dueling class like it was yesterday, and I still reminisce on the first roleplay family I joined. I’ve made so many amazing friends over these past 4 years and I’m so lucky to be able to help the server grow as a Jr. Prefect and Daily Diviner Writer. Enough about me, though! Let’s hear what some other players and staff members have to say about their time on Potterworld.

I interviewed Sophiyah (Sophia_Bellamy), Honey_Dwarf1 (Daisy_Woodlyn), StitchReignited (Justin_Woodlyn), and plucky4 about their favorite memories on Potterworld and what Potterworld means to them. Let’s hear their responses!

What is your house (and have you ever resorted)?

S: My current house is Serpents. Go sneks!
H: I am currently a Raven and I have only ever resorted to Griffins before coming back to Ravens.
J: My current house is Ravens.
P: I am a Raven and have never resorted; I’d miss all of the Ravens too much!

What is your favorite memory you’ve made on Potterworld?

S: My favorite memory so far has been jumping off of the Astronomy tower during class.
H: My favourite memory is probably getting my first ever O+ in a Wizarding Economics class during the 2018 Christmas ‘24 hours of classes’- I was very surprised to get an O+!
J: My favorite memory is when I went to a [Potterworld] wedding! So many people were there and I was very impressed at how they made it all!
P: My favourite memory is probably the first time I ever completed Potterworld Legend (shoutout to 1psaonly for helping LOADS with that!) because it gave me a huge sense of achievement, even if I did end up staying awake all night! It was also a huge stepping stone in our friendship, which is always great!

What does Potterworld mean to you?

S: Potterworld means so much to me. I’ve been on the server for almost 6 years now, and I’ve met so many people and made such great friends. It’s a great place to be able to relax, have fun, and overall, just enjoy myself.
H: I have made lots of friends and have gotten to know lots of people through Potterworld.I have learnt a lot about other places in the world, since people on Potterworld come from all over the place.
J: PotterworldMC means a lot to me; I see it as another family that’s always there for me. Friends are one of the most important parts of my life, and I’ve made quite a lot on Potterworld.
P: For me, Potterworld's community means more to me than anything else about the server. In the two years I've been on the server I've made lots of friends for all sorts of reasons, and the community as a whole is a lovely group to be part of. There are so many people who are always happy to help everyone, and it's just brilliant to see so many people come together through something as ordinary (sorry to whoever objects to my calling Potterworld ordinary) as a Minecraft server!

Wow, amazing answers, everyone! Thanks to Sophiyah, Honey_Dwarf1, StitchReignited, and plucky4 for contributing their memories and experiences. Hopefully our amazing readers can relate to at least one of these experiences!

Potterworld has proven itself to be an incredibly special place, touching the lives of so many people and bringing players together, regardless of where they live. Although the event celebrates 6 years of Potterworld being open, it also celebrates you, the players who make- and have made- Potterworld what it is today. On behalf of the staff team, I’d like to thank all of the players for making these six years truly magical. Now, on behalf of the Daily Diviner team, I’d like to thank you for reading! Have a wonderful rest of your day and stay safe!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
A Word From the Wise
Editorial

Written by: MamaDuckie
Edited by: Polarxo
Welcome to the latest edition of the Daily Diviner! In recent news, the Raven House has gained a new Head of House - RobotWizz! Those in Raven are well known for their wit, love of learning and their ever-interesting eccentric nature, qualities which we can all agree that RobotWizz surely possesses. The former Head of House for Raven, Alexis, held her title for quite some time before passing it on. While we’re sad to see her step away, we can’t help but be excited for this new era of leadership and managed to snag a small interview with RobotWizz concerning his new role and the future of Raven House!

How does it feel being the new Head of Raven?

I'm very grateful to have been given the opportunity to be Head of Ravens. I have been a Raven for as long as I can remember and it's surreal that I was chosen to represent Ravens on our server. I remember being able to almost list all the Head of Ravens we had on our server at one point in time. There are many former Head of Ravens I look up to and I hope I can inspire as many Ravens I can, just like they did in the past.

What is your plan for uniting Raven to bring them to victory for the House Cup?

One thing us Ravens have been very good at doing is winning the House Cup, and I'm sure that won't be changing anytime soon. The one thing I admire the most about Ravens on the server is the fact they bring it up to themselves to unite and gain as many House Points as they can to secure that victory. I'd like to further encourage that and see many more victories under our belt!

How do you think your Raven qualities will help you in leading Raven as a whole?

Being a leader is not something anyone is born with, some are better than others but the one thing about us Ravens is that we're quick to learn new things and quickly adapt to new situations - including if someone was given the opportunity to become Head of Raven haha.

As the newest Head of Raven, is there anything you wish for your house to know as we move into this new era of leadership?

As Head of Raven, I hope to continue encouraging everyone to continue to be themselves and shine both IRL and on Potterworld - you can achieve anything you set your mind to! I'd like to say as well that anyone is welcome to join us Ravens, after all, being in a house is not always about having certain qualities - but aspiring to have them counts just as well!

Although RobotWizz took up the position of Head of Raven House just a few short weeks ago, he’s starting to take to his new role with brilliantly bright colors! His energy and enthusiasm to inspire his fellow Ravens to be the best that they can be is contagious and we hope that it continues to grow and prosper during his reign as Head of House. We’d like to thank him for taking time out of his busy day to be interviewed as we’re sure he’s very busy. Furthermore, we’d also like to wish him the best of luck as the new Head of Ravens as he leads us into this new era of leadership!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Cards of High Value
Editorial

Written by: anderuwu
Edited by: ShaneChi
Hello witches and wizards, and welcome to the 2nd Editorial article of the 13th issue of the Daily Diviner! Choco Hops are the delicious brand of cards that are famously collected throughout the magical world. For those who are unfamiliar, Choco Hops Cards can be found in chests hidden across the world as well as bought in stores alongside Choco Frogs. The cards themselves come in three tiers of rarity: blue uncommon cards, purple rare cards, and yellow legendary cards. Choco Hops Cards are undoubtedly popular and beloved by many. However, some, including myself, often say that they deserve to be less valuable for multiple reasons. Allow me to tell you readers why I believe that the cards deserve to be worth less than people value them.

Over the span of years, people have cleared out the shelves of Choco Hops Cards and they have been dispersed to many different people. To some collectors, cards may not be worth the gold considering their rarity. With their availability to be found through hidden chests, Choco Hops Cards are spread out in masses across the world. This includes Hogsworth grounds, Diagonal Lane and countless more areas. On top of that fact, they are available for people to collect all year long. Some magicians may consider these collectables less exclusive than items from our favorite events. Despite the increased difficulty in obtaining higher tiers of cards, I consider them less valuable for how often and the multiple areas where they are available.

While many are willing to spend their balance on Choco Hops Cards, some may feel that they aren’t willing to spend the costs for a collectible item. At the marketplace, uncommon cards cost around 2-6 gold on average. Rare cards can generally cost around 30 to a few hundred gold on average. Legendary cards usually cost up to a few thousand gold! For some, this is a very large portion of their balance and may be less useful than some other items. As an example, profession items, housing materials, scarves and banners tend to have a cosmetic or agreeably beneficial element that people are attracted to. The similar costs of Choco Hops Cards and items of higher usefulness make other items worth more of my gold.

Although collecting is a passion, the cards are only collectables and do not have many uses. They can be shown off to friends for their emphasized rarity, but they usually tend to be sold or buried in storage. The ways to spend gold that I previously stated have a unique cosmetic look or can be designed for. The lack of abilities that Choco Hops Cards can have compared to other items lowers the value of the item in my opinion.

Once again, Choco Hops Cards are an important part of the magical world. This article was just an opinion that you could keep in mind while collecting. In my opinion, the rarity, costs, and usage of the cards give me reasons to believe they may not be worth as much gold and effort as we devote to it. Many people do collect to learn more about characters in the magical world and to achieve a collection of similar items. If you readers enjoy collecting the cards, I encourage you to pursue that! This has been Andreu with another edition of the Daily Diviner. Stay safe and have a wonderful day!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Flying Maps: A Deep Dive
Games and Sports

Written by: GarrisonTM
Hello readers, and welcome to this issue of the Daily Diviner! In today’s article, we’ll be taking a look at one of the mini-games on Potterworld: Flying! Specifically, we’ll be looking at some of the courses that the players can enjoy while they participate in this fun and active mini-game. In Flying, players are able to jump on a broom and complete a course within the time limit, with the fastest player winning the race. Before we dive into today’s topic, I’d like to take a moment and show some appreciation for the members of the build team who have contributed to these maps, as we wouldn't have Potterworld without them! Now, without further ado, let’s get into the maps!

To begin, we’ll take a look at some of the maps that have been around for quite some time. The Quabbleball Pitch and Journey to Hogsworth are two of the oldest maps on Potterworld, making them incredibly well known by older players. The Quabbleball Pitch map includes a giant quabbleball stadium that the players must navigate through, while dodging tents and swinging through loops. On the other hand, Journey to Hogsworth includes a story-line adventure, allowing players to fly through the different stages before finally reaching the school. They’ll take a tour through Diagonal Lane and swoop through the train station, before finally reaching the boathouse. Both of these maps are considered fan-favorites as they are quite popular among the player-base, always challenging those players looking to test their flying skills.

Last month, the build team released new maps for a few mini-games including Flying. Riddle’s Graveyard and Hogsend were two of the maps released. Both are incredibly well-built and filled with lots of adventure! In Hogsend, the players are able to fly through the wizarding town and see everything from a birds-eye view. On the other hand, Riddle’s Graveyard provides a sense of mystery and thrill! Players must navigate their way around Riddle Manor surrounded with tombs and a vast graveyard. These new maps provide a sense of adventure, along with the fact that they are newer, thus making the players happy to see a change of scenery. Both maps have received positive feedback within the past month, making them quickly become the new fan-favorites.

Personally, I believe that Flying has some of the best maps out of the mini-games. The build team has dedicated a lot of time to building all the maps, and I think they’re all fantastic. I’d have to say that Riddle’s Graveyard instantly became my favorite map the second that I played. As someone who is constantly watching for updates, I can’t wait for any future maps that are released. I guess you can call me a “map connoisseur.” All of the maps are brilliant and I’m sure that there are a lot of fellow players who can agree with me.

Being one of the more popular mini-games on Potterworld, Flying has always been a hit game with the player-base. If you haven’t yet, hop in a game of Flying and let us know what you think of the maps, new and old! Once again, I’d like to thank all of the builders and developers who have contributed to this mini-game. Potterworld truly wouldn’t be the same without you all! Thank you for taking the time to read this article; this is Garrison, signing off!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Dueling Tips and Tricks from Dueling Champions
Games and Sports

Written by: Carolllyn
Hello witches and wizards, and welcome to this totally awesome Games and Sports article! Wait… what am I doing in the Games and Sports section of the Daily Diviner instead of my usual Lifestyle lifestyle? Well, I’m writing this article on behalf of the wonderful MysticalBlizzard, and I’d like to thank them for requesting this very special interview! So, my readers, I must now ask you something. Have you ever found that your dueling skills are just a bit sub-par? Maybe more than a bit, and no matter how hard you try, the results you’ve been hoping for aren’t coming to you? I’m sure many of you have felt this way about your dueling careers. So, who better to help improve you than some of the wizarding world’s dueling champions themselves? In this article, I have rounded up maxwiu (a past dueling champion), Expiroces (one of this month’s dueling champions), and MyselfAndI_ (a past dueling champion) to answer the most pressing dueling questions players have. Stay tuned for these tips and tricks from dueling champions!

Carolyn: Are there any spells that can significantly change the direction of a duel?
maxwiu: I think spells that can significantly change a duel in this meta are spells like vulnamedius and flamonstrum.
MyselfAndI_: I guess Flamonstrum because it does a ton of damage, setting the opponent on fire. When I use it in a duel or match, people immediately heal.
Expiroces: Yes, most definitely, two of the main spells that could change the direction of a team fight is emendium and curego. They are healing spells with which used to heal your teammates. Also, AOE spells do help a lot, such as meteorum, flamonstrum, cometes. In a duel, there's no spell that could change a direction of a duel significantly, in my opinion.

Carolyn: Do you have auto-cast on or off?
maxwiu: I have auto cast off.
MyselfAnd_I: I have auto-cast off.
Expiroces: I personally got quick cast off. That's because I'm very used to not having quick cast. I believe, if you get used to quick cast, everything will be much easier.

Carolyn: What is a way to improve aim?
maxwiu: A way to improve your aim is just dueling constantly.
Expiroces: Mouse sensitivity plays a huge role on your aim. Personally, I've got it pretty low. After that, it's just practice dueling.
MyselfAndI_: A way to improve the aim I would just say is to keep practicing and dueling. Look at the opponent and follow them.

Carolyn: How do you generally organize your hotbars?
maxwiu: I have my defensive and movement spells on one hotbar and then the other hotbar is mainly attacking spells.
MyselfAndI_: I organize my hotbars as my 1st hotbar being where I keep my combat spells and counters and my 2nd hotbar is where I keep my defensive/healing spells, but also a combat spell.
Expiroces: Every duelist has their own hotbar. In my experience, it's not ideal to copy someone else's hotbar. Personally, I've got some combat and some defensive spells in both of the hotbars. I've seen duelists who got only combat spells in one hotbar and then defensive on the second hotbar.

Alright, guys, this concludes this issue’s second Games and Sports article! Dueling is all about personal preference, but these duelists suggest that AOEs and healing spells can be quite powerful, aim is all about practice, and hotbars are often compiled based on spell-types. Whether you choose to determine your own dueling path or follow these suggestions, I really hope that you learned something from these very talented dueling champions during this interview! If their wise words stuck with you, try putting them to the test by practicing this exceptionally fun sport and conquering it! If you enjoyed the article, let me know by messaging me in-game, messaging me on discord, or even sending me a book and quill in-game. This was Carolyn Lestrange reporting for the Daily Diviner!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Six Years of Memories
Lifestyle
Written by: Spaghelle
Edited by: maddinq

Greetings, my lovely readers! Welcome back to yet another riveting article of the Daily Diviner. We’re back with a special edition of the Lifestyle section this week, dedicated in honor of Potterworld’s 6th Anniversary Event held to celebrate the history of the server. On May 18th, 2014, PotterworldMC opened to the public and is still a thriving community to this day! Earlier this month, the Great Hall courtyard opened up the festivities with market stalls full of collectables, banners, and more! Along with that, a look inside the celebratory cake will lead you to three fun activities: the Fine Arts Fair, the Magical Maze, and a brand-new Scavenger Hunt; all to celebrate the sixth anniversary of Potterworld! With those six years comes endless stories and memories, whether you’ve been playing for ages or you’re just starting out.

I’ve gathered a few players of all different backgrounds here, to tell us their very own memories of Potterworld! Staff or non-staff, old or new; everyone I’ve brought here today has a special place for Potterworld in their heart.
Our interviewees for today are Simon (Simowne), Magictooth, Darkatflash, Pim (Pimmetjuh), LittleI, and ArtieKatt!

Question: When did you join Potterworld, and what is your earliest memory of the server?
D: I joined in September of 2015, where my first memory was being in the old test room so that I could graduate to the next year. I had dropped a book to Droobledore earlier that day, thanking him for such an amazing server; both he and abcdefgwynn, the Headmistress, came to thank me for it and it was so sweet!
M: When I first joined Potterworld we still had the handheld currency and I remember being pretty broke back then. When I joined, the server was still new and there were so many concepts that overwhelmed me. To be honest, I was most amazed with the idea of being in the magical world.
S: I first joined Potterworld back in 2016, with my earliest memory definitely being working in the Department of Muggle Association where I led Unmagicals back and forth from Privet Drive to start their journey on the server.

Question: What is your favorite aspect of the server?
A: I love the housing aspect of the server, but I do remember when I was a newer player and loved all of the roleplay!
L: My favorite aspect of the server in terms of gameplay would have to be dueling, but in Potterworld as a whole it’s definitely the people and the community.
P: My favorite aspect of the server is definitely the classes. I love how the classes are so interactive and you learn things that you wouldn’t be able to anywhere else, and actually be able to do work to earn credits - it’s incredible.

Question: How has Potterworld affected you in real life? Has it changed you?
D: In real life, I’ve been able to meet many people who play on this server in person! It’s also allowed me to spend more time with my daughter, who I play with on Potterworld.
M: Potterworld has affected me by helping me feel like I was part of the magical world. Even if it is a simple game, the bonds made within the server make me feel like I’m part of a great family. I feel like I can contribute to the growing family on Potterworld.
S: I think Potterworld has affected me by helping me gain time management skills. As a staff member I’ve had to be responsible, which has helped me manage my personal life. For example, when I transferred schools it helped me to work through that and I had an easier time than if I had not learned those skills.

Question: What are your hopes and goals for the rest of your stay on the server?
A: Honestly, I'm quite content with where I am at the moment, as a Performer! As a goal I'd say to finish my housing, as it's been a work in progress for a few months now.
L: My hopes and dreams would include: becoming staff, finally winning a dueling tournament, and maybe being cool.
P: My hopes right now are to eventually become level 80 and so I can be a fully-leveled wizard finally; I’ve been here for a while, so it’s about time. I would also, somewhere down the road, become staff so I can truly help out and put work into the server that I care deeply about.

Question: And lastly, what is your favorite memory on Potterworld? It can be anything!
A: Oh boy, I have so many! I'd have to say the time I was in a dueling final! I still remember the fear and adrenaline as I fought for Honeybadgers, even if we didn't win.
D: If I have to pick one, it would definitely be whenever events open up to the public. It’s things that we’ve just worked so hard on, and it’s like all of our hard work pays off to see people enjoy the events.
L: That’s a hard question, but one thing that comes to mind is setting my friend’s housing on fire; they asked me to do it.
M: My favorite memory of Potterworld is definitely when I ate my cookie during the Professions Introduction quest, and no staff member was able to solve my ticket.
P: My favorite memories of the server are from 2017, when I would compete with my friend to help people in chat as much as possible. It was friendly competition though, and we both had a lot of fun.
S: My favorite memory on Potterworld would definitely have to be teaching
classes, I think. I really took for granted the aspect of being a Professor and being able to teach on the server so that I could make an impact and help players be inspired by new subjects.

That rounds it up for our special guests today! I’d like to personally thank them for taking the time to answer my questions and allowing us to see just how special Potterworld is, no matter who you are or where you are in the world. Personally, I’ve had years of wonderful memories of Potterworld starting all the way back in 2014 on an old account of mine. Truthfully, I never put myself into the server until I met a couple of close friends and got involved with the community years later. Seeing that, the people of Potterworld and the close relationships that are formed have always been my favorite part and something that’s definitely unique to the server.

While some of my favorite memories have certainly been annual events, such as the Butterbrew Festival, or becoming staff in the department I’m absolutely passionate about, the ones that stick out in my mind are always spending time with the friends I’ve made over the years. It’s always the smaller things, such as building housings or playing games, that have made me grow even more attached to Potterworld and the relationships I’ve made with people.

I encourage all of my readers to think about their favorite parts of Potterworld as well! What has made you stay, whether you’re a new player or an older one? Despite the differences we possess, the one thing that brings us all together is obvious; the server all of us play on, day in and day out. Keep that in mind as you spend time on Potterworld in these coming weeks or months, and make sure to spread the positivity that’s kept us all so close together. Have a wonderful week, stay safe, and stay tuned for the next edition of the Daily Diviner; keep a close eye out for the Lifestyle column!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Potterworld Music
Lifestyle
Written by: Melioraa
Edited by: Polarxo

Greetings witches and wizards and welcome to the second Lifestyle article for this edition of the Daily Diviner! In this article, we’ll be covering National Buy a Music Instrument Day and the many instruments available for everyone to buy. Potterworld hosts a range of different musical instruments available for players to play their favourite songs in-game, all purchasable with in-game currency! I’ll bring you all your need-to-know information on where to buy these amazing creations, how they work and other important information! With that, let’s get right on into this!

The 22nd of May was National Buy a Music Instrument Day. The day celebrates a chance to bring the community together in an all-ages event, and in general, getting a new instrument to jam along to!
On Potterworld, players have access to a total of 3 Instruments! The Harp, the Ocarina and the Ukulele. Each of these three instruments has the ability to play music on our wonderful server, with a slight difference. While the Ocarina and Ukulele act almost like wands with the ability to select a note in a different inventory, the Harp instead automatically plays a song for you. In addition, the Ukulele and the Ocarina don’t just have 2 hot bars, they have 3! It’s such an incredible thing to be able to play music on the server, as long as you have your volume up of course! But where can you buy these instruments? Well, the Ocarina and the Ukulele can be bought at Concordia & Plunkett Music Instruments located in Diagonal Lane for 1,000 gold, whereas the Harp can be bought at Whacky Wizarding Wonders for a cheap 20 gold! Such a bargain!

But what do the players think about these instruments? Which one do they like the best? Well, I asked the players of Potterworld so you don’t have to! Over the course of 4 days; the 16th, the 18th, the 20th and the 22nd of May, I asked the general population of Potterworld which of the instruments were their favourite! Here are their answers-
6out of 19 people said that the Ukulele was their favourite instrument.
8out of 19 people said that the Ocarina was their favourite instrument.
5 out of 19 people said that the Harp was their favourite instrument.
So as it would seem, the Ocarina is the favourite among the players! The beautiful melodic and soft sound that comes from this instrument is very possible the reasoning for this choice, and I have to agree!

In conclusion, while there is a limited variety of instruments available on our server, there is the perfect amount in order to celebrate National Buy a Music Instrument Day! A Special thanks to; Blizz, DanTheWheelman, Nhao, Kubina440, Samm_, Meigsmerlin, Addayy, Torizelphia, CelestialPan, Liyl, Rhines, Chaileyrose, XIKalaChaNIX, holyacocado, Lizziethelark, beeswarm, Nalieva, EnglishDerp, and Literal_Trashcan for assisting me and answering my survey. I hope you all enjoyed a magical day full of music, even if it isn’t on the 22nd of May! Before we end off, I have a question for all of you now! If you could introduce any instrument onto Potterworld, what would it be and why? I hope you all enjoyed this Lifestyle Article, and I can’t wait to see you guys next time!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Ghastly Introductions
Original Works

Written by: Silquer
Simon Dublin tried not to jump as another flash of light seared his vision, followed by the growl of thunder. The Great Hall was nearly empty, devoid of the usual chatter that was symbiotic with breakfast. He glared at the girl sitting across from him as she huffed laughter, even as distant thunder made him flinch.
“What are you laughing at?” He asked defensively.
Aileas Lemaire shook her head and grinned behind the glass of milk she sipped from. She deliberately put her cup down and leaned forward, locking her elbows in place at either side of her breakfast-filled plate. She didn’t smile, but her eyes betrayed her deep, sadistic mirth.
“You’re the only person I know who’s afraid of thunderstorms.”
“I’m not-”
“Oh, please,” she said, rolling her eyes. “You couldn’t walk up to the House Ghosts in this weather.”
Simon’s eyes flashed in defiance. He knew a challenge when he heard one. “Yes, I could.”
Aileas grinned like a cat who had a mouse’s tail pinned beneath its claws. “Prove it.”
“How?”
“Ask the House Ghosts how they died. Simple as that.”
“Deal.” He stood up from the table abruptly and asked, “How long do I have?”
“Until the end of the day,” she practically purred, sipping lazily at her milk. A cat, indeed. “Oh, and take this.” She tossed him a notepad, and the various stains and tears on the cover told him it was an old journal. “Take notes of your encounters.”
Simon looked at her warily. “Why?”
She rolled her eyes again. “So I know you did what I asked.”
He frowned at her and began walking out of the Hall. But before he could reach the doors, she called after him. “Oh, and…” He turned around to see her smiling. “Good luck.”
He left the Great Hall feeling like a mouse caught in a cat’s trap.
-----
Not long after he left the Great Hall, Simon stumbled up the last step of the staircase, panting from the long walk to the Raven Common Room. He could hear rain beating against the spire, and he tried not to cringe from the rumble of thunder.
“Hello dear, is there something I can help you with?”
Simon glanced at the ghost that stood in front of him. She was tall, old, and wore a robe and sock on her head.
“Yes, actually. Are you Francine Cades?”
“Indeed, I am,” Francine replied, frowning at him. “Shouldn’t you be in class?”
Simon ignored her question and took out the notebook. “Can you tell me how you died?”
All disapproval vanished from her face, and she smiled. “Of course! It all began with a spell…”
-----
“Why do they call you Chunky Charles?”
Simon stood in the hall that led to the Honeybadger Common Room, notebook and pen in hand. He had just finished his lunch before deciding to make the short trip below-castle.
“Because I love to bake!” was Charles’ humorous reply.
“Then how did you die?” Simon asked. “In a kitchen fire? Or poison? Or-”
“Goodness, no! I was suffocated by a flour bag.”
“Oh…”
-----
Simon stared at Basically Beheaded Benjamin. He had stopped at the Griffin Common Room on his way to Charms and now stood in front of the nearly-beheaded ghost.
“So…” Simon swallowed nervously, “how were you nearly beheaded?”
Benjamin’s face lit up. “I was standing up for an important cause, but I was cursed for my strong opinions. Next thing I know, my head is nearly off my neck!”
That wasn’t so bad.
“The worst part is, I can feel where my head should be attached…”
Simon paled and backed away. Charms class waited, after all.
----
The Carnage Count was still; unmoving. The ghost set an imposing figure deep in the dungeons, and although Simon was glad to be away from the tall spires and relentless rain, the Count made the storm far less intimidating.
Simon cleared his throat. “How did you die?”
“Do you really want to know?”
Simon balked at that. “Well… yes.”
The Count sighed. “I used to be an elite of the wizarding world. I held countless parties, all better than the last… until one fateful night…”
----
Hours after he accepted his dare, Simon stood in the Raven Common Room, watching Aileas read his handiwork.
Aileas grimaced from her cushioned seat. “Cades’ head exploded? How gruesome…”
Simon shivered. “I know.”
Aileas mumbled something incoherent before scribbling in the notebook Simon had given back to her.
“And Charles suffocated? In a bag of flour?” Simon nodded. “What a way to go out…”
“Benjamin wasn’t really beheaded, either.”
Aileas hummed her acknowledgment. “What about the Count? You didn’t write much about him.”
Simon squirmed.
She looked up. “Well? Why not?”
“Just... ask him yourself. He’s outside the Serpent Common Room.”
Aileas narrowed her eyes. “Alright then…”
“See you later, Aileas,” he said, and left the Common Room.
----
A month later, Simon was sitting in his Common Room. reading the latest edition of the school newspaper. It was a bright, sunny day, but dreadfully hot, driving most students indoors.
He flipped the page, and his eyes snagged on Aileas’ article. It was a story about a kid who was dared to ask the House Ghosts how they died. His eyes widened as he realized what it meant.
Aileas had used him.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Roots
Original Works

Written by: kvmw
Running.

The leaves under her feet crunched as she desperately pushed through the low, overhanging branches. Behind her, she could hear movement—she couldn’t be sure of what they were, only that they were not friendly. Even at the young age of seven, she could understand that her babysitter had just tried to eat her.

In any other situation, the child would have been very happy the babysitter was not in the house. But in this situation, she much preferred the babysitter staying in the house, because the babysitter was chasing her—and with her came creatures of all kinds: floating hooded cloaks that made the child shiver; large spiders whose eyes peered behind the shadowed trees; skeletal women cloaked in dark robes.

The child was beginning to grow tired. She had been running for who knows how long, and her little legs were beginning to weary, the adrenaline rush disappeared.

She could feel her knees buckling—she pleaded to her legs to not fail her now, but they refused to listen, and she fell onto the ground. The sounds were drawing nearer, and in a last-ditch attempt at safety, the child crawled to the nearest tree.

It was a different tree—it stood out from the others. Where the others were large and dark, this one was small and pale, and it was very beautiful. The child, in a moment of sadness as the sound of her babysitter’s laughter came closer, hugged the tree.

“You are a very pretty tree,” she murmured and began to drift off to sleep. She was very tired —children’s bodies were not meant to flee the dangers of the world.

She heard the creatures screaming near her—they sounded angry—but the child did not care.

She drifted off to sleep.

. . .

“Elowen!”

The man, standing over a cauldron and muttering under his breath, did not flinch as a young woman tumbled down the stairs. She had clearly been busy—her hair was tied back, and her hands were grimy with dirt. “Yes, sir?”

“I need you to gather ingredients for a potion. I’ve got the list here.” He gestured to a rolled piece of parchment that sat near him. “All of them will be in the forest.”

Elowen bowed her head in acknowledgment and ran back up the stairs to get ready. She wasn’t particularly fond of forests—every time she stepped in one, she had a distinct feeling of being followed, but it was necessary if she wanted to become a Potions Master.

She soon found herself in the forest—it was near one of her old homes, though she wasn’t sure which. Elowen’s family had moved a lot when she was a child, but she remembered her mother telling her that it was a bad idea to work here—something about a babysitter.

But Potions Masters were few in England, and even fewer were looking for assistants.

She found most of the ingredients with ease, until only one was left—Wickletree bark.

Knowing what it looked like, she soon found one near the center of the forest. She took out a little knife and began scraping off the bark of the tree. But only a few seconds had passed when tiny branch-link creatures swarmed out of the tree—Bowleafs, she thought dimly, cursing. She had forgotten to bring woodlice.

Covering her eyes, she felt them scratch at her forehead and fainted from blood loss.

. . .

She was running—a sight that felt familiar. Déjà vu, she thought. Behind her, she could hear things running behind her, and she knew that they were dark creatures.

She had been running for a long time, she felt and saw a tree up ahead. A Wickletree. She had just seen this tree—had the Bowleafs not attacked her?

As she approached it, she could almost see a face in the tree. Its mouth moved, and, sounding very far away, the tree murmured, “Thank you for calling me pretty, my dear. But I cannot allow you to strip me of my bark. I am sorry—if it makes you feel better, you are quite pretty as well.”

Startled, Elowen woke up. She was lying in front of the tree—a very familiar tree, she now realized—and the sun was setting. Not daring to attempt to strip the tree of its bark, she hurried off into the distance, hoping the Potions Master would not be too angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.