DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
A Note from the Lead Producers
Written by The Daily Diviner Lead Producers

Dear Readers,

Each year around Potterworld's Anniversary, the Daily Diviner team hosts a writing competition for players to enter. The winning submission are then featured in a Daily Diviner edition. Thank you to all who submitted, and congratulations to Silquer and Aviforma, who won the best story and poem, respectively. Without further ado, we present the winning story and poem from the 2020 Anniversary Writing Competition.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Alice in Potterworld
Feature - Story Competition Winner
Written by Silquer
Alice Lemaire was growing tired in the Raven Common Room, and the dim light and cozy cushions only made her drowsier. It was as she contemplated how devastatingly tired she was that Alice noticed something peculiar happening in the corner of the room. One of the students had left a small pile of Chocolate Frog boxes on a table, and one of those very boxes was twitching. Very suddenly, the box burst open, and a very large Chocolate Frog jumped out. It twitched and hopped in place as if trying to understand its own body before crossing the room in a zig-zaggity pattern.

There was nothing very peculiar about that (although it occurred to her later that it was very strange); rather, it was the size of the Frog that piqued her interest. It was with great curiosity that Alice followed the Frog through the Common Room, down the stairs, and past the snoring house ghost, before reaching the bottom of the spiraling staircase.

The Chocolate Frog hurried away down a long corridor draped with red curtains and decorated with various paintings. Although Alice scurried down the hall as quickly as she could, she lost sight of the Frog almost immediately.

Sighing, Alice turned around, only to notice one of the paintings was tilted, almost as if thrown askew. She walked over to it, pushing the painting open wide, to reveal a small hole, no larger than a rabbit’s burrow, hidden behind the secret door-painting. She squeezed into the perfectly-sized hole and began crawling through the old stone.

A few moments later, Alice emerged from the cramped little hole and stepped out into a wide classroom. It was full of wooden desks and stiff chairs and soft carpets, every seat occupied by a student in robes. Alice looked around frantically, searching for an empty seat, hoping the Professor didn’t notice her late appearance.

She found the empty seat she was looking for and immediately started taking fervent notes on a book left out on the desk.

“Now, when the Lunarcalf Dung is added to the solvent, a certain magical reaction happens…”

It was then that Alice noticed the Chocolate Frog hopping across the desks, going completely unnoticed by both professor and students. Alice watched it for a moment longer, completely forgetting to write down her notes. She looked back at the professor before standing up and chasing the Frog as it hopped back through the hole she had come through. She crawled into the small space, the teacher’s lesson echoing back to her. Soon, there was only the occasional ribbit that told her the Frog was still ahead.

As she went on, the hole grew larger and larger, until she was crouching, then bending over so as not to hit her head, and finally standing at her full height. When she could reach her arms out and still not touch the hole’s walls, she realized she was at a dead end; and no frog in sight.

“Where did that Frog go?” she mused aloud. She looked a little closer at the dead end, and-

“Oh! It isn’t a dead end, after all.”

Indeed, it was a door, and although it lacked a handle, a simple wave of her wand had it wide open. The door creaked open and Alice saw the Chocolate Frog disappear inside the room; she wasted no time following it.

The door opened into a vast room with seemingly no end. The strangest part of the hall was what was in it; tall, cascading piles of trinkets and scarves and trophies. Alice walked between the corridor-like mounds, searching for the Frog. Quite suddenly, she heard a small ‘ribbit’ coming from further in the room, but when she reached the corner it had come from, she found nothing but more spires of items.

‘Curious,’ Alice thought. ‘I know I heard something…’ She paused to ponder the Frog’s disappearance, but her eyes stopped on a rather charming sight.

“What’s this?” she said aloud, reaching down and picking up a purple scarf lying on the ground. It was wonderfully soft as she wrapped it around her neck.

Then came a ‘ribbit!’ from further away, and Alice dropped the scarf back on the ground reluctantly. The Chocolate Frog was more important, after all. She walked slowly through the heaps and piles of knick-knacks, searching for the Frog, but her eyes kept snagging on the little ornaments and scarves, all more alluring than the last. She sighed, and at last found the Frog. It sat on the ground as if waiting for her, before getting up and jumping along. She ran with it, hoping she wouldn’t lose sight of it again, and together they reached another door. It looked nearly identical to the door she had come in through, although, this time, there was a wooden handle.

She turned the knob and the doorway revealed a grassy courtyard with stands surrounding her. Great, bushy hedges with multiple entrances stood tall, dark, and grand.

“Hello? Is anyone here?” Alice called, turning round and round, searching for another person. There was no response, just a small ‘ribbit’ and the Frog hopping impatiently.

Alice stared at the menacing bushes, then looked back at the Frog. “Well, I suppose if no one’s here, you can lead me through the maze.”

The Frog nodded (if Chocolate Frogs can nod) and leapt into the dark bushes. She followed at a slower pace and, as quickly as the Frog had turned the next corner, it was gone.

Alice turned on her heel, only to find the way out completely blocked.

“Oh, dear,” she said, frowning sadly. She should have known she couldn’t trust the Frog. She sighed. “Well, I suppose I should take random paths… after all, there are only so many ways I can go. Eventually, I’ll reach the exit.”

Quite proud of this conclusion and with greater confidence than she felt, Alice set out along the maze path. However, it didn’t take very long for her motivation to fail. Left, right, left, straight, right, left again, stopping at a large clearing… Did it ever end?

Alice sat down on the grass and hugged her knees to her chest. At this rate, she would never leave the maze. Curse that Frog for leaving her!

“Are you lost?”

Alice looked up to see a dark-haired boy standing a little ways off, tossing a quabble up and down lazily in his hand. “Are you lost?” he asked again.

Alice stood and dusted off her robes. “Yes, well, it was an accident. Is there any chance you know the way through this maze?”

“Hmm,” the boy hummed contemplatively. “That depends.”

“On what?” Alice asked, but the boy was already walking through the maze. She quickly followed, not wanting to be left behind.

Left, left, another left, and a right turn before he spoke again.

“Who do you want to be?”

Alice thought for a moment. “Well… I suppose I want to be a star Quabbleball Keeper.”

“Really? That’s all?” Another right, straight again, left.

“Maybe a writer for the Daily Diviner… perhaps a teacher at Hogsworth…”

Left, right, left, and down a long path.

“I guess I just want to be a somebody.”

It was as she came to this realization that tears formed in the corners of her eyes, clouding her vision momentarily. When she wiped her eyes with the palm of her hand, the boy with the quabble was gone.

She continued down the path alone and reached the end of the corridor. She was at a crossroads; left or right. As she debated with herself which path, statistically, was the wiser choice, she heard a ribbit from the left. It was the Chocolate Frog!

She turned the corner and caught sight of the Frog just ahead. She raced after it as it hopped away, and a light appeared at the end of the path. It was the exit!

She ran and squinted when she stepped out into a bright clearing. A cozy wooden cottage sat on a grassy hill, inviting her in. It was a very contrasting scene to the dark, untamed maze.

The Frog bounced into the house through the open door, and Alice followed. Was this where the Frog intended to lead her?

The inside of the house was as small and tidy as the outside, and she walked up a cramped staircase to the second floor, where she nearly tripped over an instrument case. Or, rather, the cat inside it. The Frog sat still on a couch, almost as if it was just chocolate again and no longer alive. The little ginger-and-white cat purred, and Alice reached a hand down to pet its soft fur. The cat leaned into her touch, and Alice sat down, stroking the pretty cat. Her eyes drifted close, and she dozed off.

When she awoke, she was back in the Common Room; no Chocolate Frog, no black-haired boy, and no ginger cat. Alice sighed. It was just a dream.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
An Ode to Potterworld
Feature - Poetry Competition Winner
Written by Aviforma
Students racing down the halls
Safe between the castle’s walls
Running to classes to and fro
Just as founders dreamed so long ago

In Diagonal Lane, a scene is amidst
Students shopping down their lists
However, venture not into the Shade
Dark magic will rain upon your parade

Wander off to a town of Oak
Defend it from going up into smoke
Fight through monsters, violent to you
Garner the ingredients needed to brew

Whether you be the one dueling
Hunting in the wild or at school learning
One fact reigns clear: this is PotterworldMC
In my heart, forever a home to me

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
The Countdown to Revelius
Feature
Written by Melioraa
Edited by ShaneChi

As the 4th of July inches ever closer, everyone across the community of PotterworldMC prepares for the release of the anticipated update, Revelius! Greetings everyone, and welcome to the 15th edition of the Daily Diviner! My name is Rani, and in this edition’s feature article, we’ll be questioning four members of the staff team to see how they’ve prepared for this upcoming update and what they’re most looking forward to. Gospojken, DanikAvery, Crestilia, and hippocastanceae have been kind enough to let me ask them a few questions. So with that, let’s get right into it!

As the release date for the new update draws closer, players and staff alike have already begun preparing for what is to come. Some have been finishing up their professions work, and others have been destroying their housings and have been, or are in the process of, rebuilding them. But what about these four staff members? What have they done in preparation for the update?

Gospo: I must say I have not been doing a lot of preparation for Revelius yet, but I have indeed saved up my ACs (I have 1245 ACs in the writing moment :eek:) which I believe will become quite handy when the update is being released. I am also trying to save up my gold a bit, which is going quite well, even if I am spending a lot of it on event items. However, the last days that are left, I will spend my time a bit on getting gold from my chest runs mostly! :D

Danik: I've been preparing by saving up all my gold for the new cool stuff I can buy for the Revelius Update and declare bankruptcy! I'm so excited for gears!!

Sara: So I personally haven't done that much yet since most of the Revelius stuff is done by the Lore team and Unspeakable team. Since I was a Seer most of the time and joined as Unspeakable three weeks ago I haven't done that much yet, but I have actually done stuff for gear. This was naming all the gear items (which were a lot!!) along with a couple of other Unspeakables and maybe a few people from lore as well. We're currently working on herbology nodes in the new world, which is basically placing new (absolutely gorgeous) plants around the new world map and binding them each to a level. We have only just started this so as I said, I personally haven't done that much yet lol, as I just recently joined the GD team. The rest of the team, however, has done many different tasks to prepare for Revelius! This includes coming up with and building quests.

Emily: For Revelius I have been working on the world map, mostly building villages, mob locations, and builds for quests!

As those who have already watched the Revelius update trailer, available on the PotterworldMC youtube channel, will know, a lot is being changed and added in this update! This includes, but it is not limited to, a new profession system, added gear, and a new map! I asked my wonderful interviewees what they’re most looking forward to, and this was their response!

Gospo: I am really looking forward to the update, and when it comes to choosing what I am looking forward to the most, it is a really difficult choice as I am looking forward to everything. However, since I really like to explore and find secrets, I believe I am most looking forward to exploring the totally revamped map and to find as many secrets as possible! I am of course, also really curious about the new quests as well as the new gear and spell system! :D I hope that you all are looking forward to it as much as I do! <3

Danik: I'm looking forward to the new mobs and locations! I can't wait to get lost for days and suddenly get attacked by five different mobs. I think the staff team is doing such an amazing job preparing for Revelius, I can't wait!

Sara: I think gear is probably one of the things I'm really looking forward to. You can really do a lot with gear and there will be so many gear pieces to collect and trade. But I think I'm mostly looking forward to the new world map, and I think a lot of us do! This new world map brings so many more places to discover where you can find world quests, new mobs and much more.

Emily: I'm definitely most looking forward to the world map, to be honest- there’s so much to explore and I'm super excited for people to see everything :)

And with that, this leads us to the end of this edition’s feature article. I’d like to give a huge thank you to Gospo, Emily, Danik, and Sara, who took time out of their day to answer my questions. As can be seen, everyone is preparing for the release of the Revelius update in their own way, as well as looking forward to the many different aspects that it will bring! However, only one question remains! What are you most looking forward to in the update, and what have you done in order to prepare for it?

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
A Supreme Werewolf's Arrival
Editorial
Written by anderuwu
Edited by ShaneChi

Hello witches and wizards, and welcome to the first editorial article of the 15th edition of the Daily Diviner! Across our server’s history, players have used countless topics in their unofficial roleplay. Whether you’re new students at Hogsworth or contributing to a vast society, there’s a place for all storylines and roleplay! Your roleplay journey can vary depending on what you enjoy. Some may want to delve into a storyline with a few friends, while others may enjoy coming together in large groups to celebrate common methods in the countless organizations across Potterworld.

Amongst the community, a recent topic of roleplay that has caught the attention of many is the drive for Werewolf rights. SAWD, also known as the Society Against Werewolf Discrimination, is an organization led by the players, which hosts protests against the Ministry of Magician’s discrimination against Werewolves. SAWD brings the players together through their beliefs and their view on aspects of the magical world.

In the official roleplay, we all know of the leaders of the Phoenixes and the Dark Followers, but the Werewolves believed they deserved an unofficial leader as well. SAWD hosted an election for a new Alpha Werewolf with a very interesting outcome that some may be unaware of. Let's take a look at how that turned out today in the Daily Diviner!

AlexaChi (Alexa Larkspur) and OcelotGuardian (Abigail Varulv) have been kind enough to join us today to give some inside information on the story of the election of the Alpha Werewolf. Abigail was the first to think of the idea of selecting a new leader for the Werewolves amongst SAWD. With the primary allegiances bringing their forces together with leaders, the Werewolves needed an Alpha to gather supporters for their cause. Abigail suggested this idea to the Werewolves, which brought lots of praise and sprung up ideas for how an Alpha Werewolf would be chosen. Some suggested challenges such as parkour or running through the Memory Walker quest to determine the leader of the Werewolves. Eventually, some Werewolves stepped up in hopes of being considered for the role of Alpha Werewolf. Here were the nominees:
  • Alexa Larkspur (AlexaChi)
  • Matty (MattyPoltergeist)
  • Llama (iSpitLikeALlama)
  • Rain Crestello (RainTM)
  • Valentine Deathrose (DarkFollowers)
  • Abigail Varulv (OcelotGuardian)
  • Mr. Secret (Strale_Varulv)
  • Toby (Pikachu_789)
  • Deci (d3ci)
  • Levi Beef (ihylevi)
These nominees were required to submit speeches to the people by June 12th at 12pm PST to be considered for Alpha Werewolf. However, only Llama, Alexa, Abigail and Deci submitted speeches, so they were the ones who were nominated. After the Werewolves read their speeches, the ballot decided that it would be most efficient to host a vote for the Alpha Werewolf through Google Forms. For these votes to be deemed fair and unbiased, ShaneChi (Shane Griffiths) tallied them and listed the final scores to the people. Alexa came out with the most votes, taking the role as Alpha Werewolf! With her position, she gave the role of Beta Werewolf to Abigail. According to Alexa and Abigail, who gave us the information on this election, they are both very pleased with the turnout of the Alpha Werewolf election.

Thank you again to the both of them for letting all of us know how the election turned out! I would like to wish the Alpha and Beta Werewolves good luck as they lead the drive for less discrimination from the Ministry of Magicians. If you readers believe in Werewolf rights as well, hop on the server and join the Society Against Werewolf Discrimination in their everlasting quest to gain Werewolf rights! This has been Andreu with another edition of the Daily Diviner. Stay safe and have a wonderful day!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Thoughts on Revelius
Editorial
Written by MamaDuckie
Edited by ShaneChi

If you’re anything like me, then one of the main things that you’re looking forward to this summer on Potterworld is the Revelius update! For several months now, we have all been excitedly waiting for the highly anticipated reveal. There have been Q&A’s, videos and posts regarding the update, however, what there hasn’t been is an opinion on the information shared to the community about Revelius. That is what brings us here today!

One of the largest and most prominent things with the update is the new world. While a lot of the old builds and locations have held over - with changes! - there’s also dozens of new places to explore and secrets to find. Of course on top of the locations themselves there are the spaces in between that hold their own adventures and surprises. The trailer that was released for Revelius revealed some of these epic places new and old! Staff and players alike have all been itching to finally play the new update and just from the descriptions and video of it it’s easy to see why. The changes made and the new builds make for a beautiful setting and keeps you wanting to see more and more. Around every corner there’s something new that you haven’t seen or a new adventure awaiting you!

In addition to the vast new world, Revelius brings with it over a hundred new quests spread out across the map. With it are the new NPC’s who bring their own stories into the Potterworld lore, allowing us all to feel like we’re involved in a story instead of just playing a game. Alongside the quests, the new riddles are sure to keep you on your toes as well as reworks on both mobs and professions give a fresh look for the server as a whole. With an updated magic system, location discoveries and even the ability to craft gear will make sure that you’re never bored when online and jam packed with all sorts of cool features for everyone to enjoy!

Although that sums everything about Revelius up, I haven’t said my piece on it yet! One of my most favorite things about gaming has always been how immersive a game gets. Sure, big boss battles and challenges are great, but a storyline and the ability to create your own story within a story is something so very hard to find and it’s definitely unique! Being able to apply myself in the way I want rather than the way a game defines is a wonderful feeling and really makes you feel like you’re part of a whole new world rather than simply playing a game. I’m also exceptionally thrilled at the revamp of some of the classic builds on the server as it’s nice to see something having a brand new look or purpose. It gives reasoning for anyone to go back through and experience the magic of Potterworld from square one.

From what I’ve seen of Revelius thus far, I can certainly say that a lot of hard work has gone into creating something truly magical. The Unspeakables, Lore Team and Build Team have clearly put their hearts into making this update be one that gets marked down in Potterworld history books! I can’t wait to see where the Revelius update grows to in the future, and I’m pretty sure no one else can either! So, please come join me and the rest of the Potterworld community in welcoming the new update with three simple words: hip hip, hooray!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Tips & Tricks From Quabbleball Players
Games & Sports
Written by Carolllyn
Edited by ShaneChi

Hello my amazing readers, and welcome to my Games and Sports article! I usually don’t stray from my fun lifestyle articles, but I’ve received an article request from a dear friend of mine, Lucas_Morte (RubberButt): an interview with quabbleball players from each position to gain some insight on the game. For those of us who do not have a clue on how to successfully play a game of what the avid-players casually call “qb”, I’ve queued myself in for a bunch of Quabbleball games, played alongside Potterworld’s quabble-community, and scouted out the players who I think we can learn from most! Please welcome our players: a Passer, rumored to hack his way through games, Lucas_Morte; a Bruiser, masterful at targeting her victims, Feyre; a Defender, who learned his virtuous art of patience, Joe_Magus; and a searcher, keeping up the illusion of searching for the Golden Swippet when, really, the Swippet seems to search for him, Tall!

Carolyn: What is the hardest part about your position in quabbleball, and how have you overcome that challenge?

Lucas: Basically, the hardest part of being a passer is learning to aim well. It took me a really long time to master it. You have to aim above the goals, but the height depends on how far away you are from the goals.

Feyre: For me, it's definitely trying to figure out the timing of when to try and knock someone off whether it's with a ball or directly up close while avoiding your actual teammates. I sometimes end up knocking/hitting my own teammates or, if I miss, their bruiser hits our passer, and it could be pretty frustrating for the passers on our team. So, I do my best to try and make sure the bruisers can't get to them.

Joe_Magus: As a Defender in Quabbleball, you have to overcome a lot of adversity. In a game where individual skill can be crucial to winning, you come up against a lot of highly-skilled, world class, Quabbleball players and, although this can be difficult, it's what makes the position so fulfilling!

Tall: The hardest part of searching has got to be timing. The tricky part is that it’s not constant every game, with some days the server lagging more or less. I usually can tune in to the correct amount of lag within a minute, and adjust my clicks. The best way to learn this is practice, and staying aware of what I consider the number one searcher tip: learning your hit box (when you click the grab option as searcher)!

Carolyn: What would be your best advice for people who want to get better in this position?

Lucas: My advice would be to practice A LOT. You can only get better in Quabbleball by practicing a lot. Try to learn the mechanics of the game and learn how bruisers and defenders work as well because they are also very important for a passer.

Feyre: Practice really is the only way. It can get pretty frustrating when the opposing bruiser is constantly knocking you down, but you shouldn't feel discouraged. You just have to find a way out of it and keep trying to push back at them. Every game won't be the same, so that one match shouldn't stop you from playing the position and trying again and again.

Joe_Magus: Not to move too much! As a Defender, you will need to be patient and vigilant, ready to make a block. A good positioning will help you so that you can see where a Passer is aiming to shoot and quick reactions to make the block and swoop in to clear the ball!

Tall: Practice makes perfect, but don’t forget to pay attention to your strategy! Many searchers just click without thinking - the trick to consistency is the ability to plan ahead on the fly. Also, if you need more help, send me an owl in-game (TallBlondeDude), and I’ll send you a copy of my searchers guide that I wrote up!

Carolyn: What is your game-plan when a match starts?

Lucas: Whenever a game starts I try to analyze the other team and look if there are any good passers, bruisers, and defenders. If there are good bruisers, I know I will have to try to dodge them. If there is a good defender, I know I won’t be able to score from far away and I will need to get closer to the goals to score. So my strategy really depends on the other team.

Feyre: Usually to target the bruisers to ensure that they don't disrupt or stop the passers from being able to score, although it can change to try and target the opposing team's passers if the game is very close and they are scoring more often.

Joe_Magus: When the game starts - I try to get up to a midway point between the sticks as far out and right as I can go before leaving the area. From here, I can turn quick to see the goal posts to make the save.

Tall: I fly straight upwards towards where the snidget spawns (100 blocks in the air, centered on the field). While I do this, I try and knock the other searcher off their broom for an early advantage.

Carolyn: Do you prefer using a trackpad or mouse?

Lucas: Definitely a mouse, I don’t know how people are able to play with a trackpad. I’ve tried it once but it didn’t really go well.

Feyre: In my opinion, using a mouse is much easier to play with. As I've just played Minecraft with a mouse, it seems more simple and logical because the keyboard and trackpad area can feel pretty crowded if I'm playing without my mouse, although it doesn't really matter as I think it's just based on your preference.

Joe_Magus: Definitely mouse - by far! I used to use a trackpad on my laptop and haven't looked back since!

Tall: Mouse all the way! The quick flicks of a mouse for turning can’t be beaten, in my opinion.

Carolyn: Any last words, shout-outs, random facts, or whatever else you would like to share before we end this interview?

Lucas: I hope this ‘guide’ will help you get better at quabbleball. If you have any further questions regarding passing feel free to ask me. And, I hope to see you all in Quabbleball!

Feyre: You should not trust me that much as there are way better bruisers to look at for this type of stuff but, good luck!

Joe_Magus: Practice makes perfect. Determination and hard work will see that you strive to new heights! See you all out on the Quabbleball Pitch! :)

Tall: If you ever need any help with searcher, just ask me questions when I’m online or send me a book via owl mail. :)

I feel like I’ve already gotten better at Quabbleball after hearing these players’ lovely tips and tricks! To me, learning about the strategies these players use was definitely what I felt was the most valuable part of the interview. I often am clueless about how to go about a match, but now I have a better understanding of how to begin. What about you? Let me know if you got something out of this article, enjoyed it, or just some of your “qb” adventures by sending me a message in-game, direct messaging me on discord, or sending me a book and quill using the owlery in-game! This was Carolyn Lestrange reporting for the Daily Diviner!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Father's Day Around the World
Lifestyle
Written by Spaghelle
Edited by ShaneChi

Greetings, my lovely audience! Welcome back to yet another endearing article of this week’s Daily Diviner. Today we have a special surprise in order for all of you, celebrating some of the most important people in the lives of many: fathers! This column is all about Father’s Day, a holiday held across many cultures to celebrate fathers. No matter who they are, biological or not, fathers make an impact on many of us daily and help to shape the people that we become. From guiding us in our early lives to supporting our choices as we grow, it’s an amazing thing that people come together to celebrate the people that we hold the closest and are able to celebrate all that they do, even if it’s only for one day.

Different countries celebrate the holiday day in some very unique ways, but the root of the holiday remains the same; today, we’ll be looking into four different regions of the world and talking about their individual customs! While these may not apply to everyone in the mentioned countries, the history of the holiday is different in each!

Here in my own continent of North America, Americans and Canadians alike usually celebrate Father’s Day by treating their fathers to a special day. Many children provide their fathers breakfast in bed, spend the day doing an activity, and share gifts! However, simply wishing your father a “happy Father’s Day” has become enough of a custom for this holiday, especially as children grow up and move away. Traditionally, Father’s Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of June, similar to many countries around the world. The holiday only came to be in the year 1910, but has remained as a strong reminder to celebrate your family ever since! To all of my North American readers, happy Father’s Day!

Taking a trip around the world, we’ll land on Australia! While most of their customs and traditions are similar to North American ones, one Australian organization holds a rather unique “Father of the Year” competition to celebrate prestigious fathers around the country. The most inspirational father who has contributed to Australia academically or professionally receives this once-in-a-lifetime title. Australians choose to celebrate Father’s Day on the first Sunday of September, coinciding with the beginning of spring. Just like North America, Australians have their holiday during the warmer months! It makes for a splendid day outside with your father, when the weather is nice and the sun is shining.

Our final destination for today is Thailand! As gifts, fathers often receive gorgeous flowers known as canna flowers. The flower is very similar to the lily, but has a beautiful golden yellow or orange hue. Along with their spectacular color, they are also believed to be a very sacred plant that offers protection to those who acquire them. Thailand celebrates Father’s Day on December 5th, coinciding with the birthday of the “Father of the Nation”, King Bhuimol. Personally, I didn’t know this before, but I think flowers are a beautiful way to celebrate Father’s Day!

That’s all for our celebrations today! I certainly hope you had some fun learning about the different traditions of these countries, as I sure did! It’s tremendously important to celebrate our family members, especially because they do so much for us in our day-to-day lives and deserve recognition for their actions. Wherever you are, whoever you are; take some time to thank the people in your lives and plan a little special something for your father when the holiday is upon us! From all of us on the Daily Diviner team, happy Father’s Day!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Wearing it With Pride!
Lifestyle
Written by Silquer
Edited by ShaneChi

Hello my dear readers, and welcome to another issue of the Daily Diviner! Today, I’ll start off with a question: Have you ever wanted a cozy scarf that represents a wonderful side of your community? Perhaps you’ve always wanted a colorful addition to your wardrobe, but have never found anything quite right? Well, I’ve discovered the perfect scarf for you!

Introducing… the Pride Scarf! This soft, comfortable, and beautiful scarf is the perfect way to show off your LGBTQ+ pride! What? I haven’t convinced you to get it yet, even with all of those reasons? Then let me give you a virtual push in the right direction.

So… why should you get this simply superb scarf? Let’s start with reason number one: it’s comfortable! It wraps around your neck like a large, fuzzy Fluffle Puff giving you a hug and warms you up like a Phoenix’s flame. Have you decided yet?

If not, let’s move on to reason number two: it’s incredibly stylish! With shining colors and flowers magically intertwined into the fabric, it fits right in with summer (and with your newest outfit)! If I still haven’t persuaded you, let’s move on.

Let me present reason number three: it represents an outstanding part of our community! With this scarf, you can showcase your support of pride with ease. And I haven’t even mentioned its economical value! Since this scarf is unavailable after June 27th, you can show it off next month or even sell it to someone who didn’t have the chance to get it. Being able to show off your pride and even share it with someone else is what makes this scarf so special!

As if all of that wasn’t enough to win you over, here is my final reason: it’s simple to get! All you have to do is help a couple with their perfect date, and this very scarf will be yours! With so many excellent reasons, how can you not want this scarf? And, now that I’m sure I’ve convinced you, you’ll need directions.

To begin helping the lovely couple, warp to the Great Hall and talk to a student named Dean. He’s standing in the entrance of the Hall directly to the left. Talk to him, and accept his request. Go help Taylor and Morgan with their date!

Overall, the Pride Scarf is an excellent reward for your kindness, and it’s completely worth the effort. In my experience, it is the single best way to wear your pride in comfort and style! This has been Silquer with the Daily Diviner, and I truly hope you enjoy your scarf!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
The Pride Parade
Original Works
Written by Serpentella
Edited by ShaneChi

I tapped my wand on the desk, sighing. Transfiguration was so boring. I zoned out, gazing into the distance. However, the professor soon snapped me out of my trance.

“Sophie!” the professor said, casting a glance in my direction. “Please pay attention. Ten points from Serpents! I expected better from you.”

I set my wand down on the desk and leaned back in my chair. Ever since I began taking this class, I could never focus. I turned behind me to see Alec, my boyfriend, sitting at the back of the class. He smiled at me and waved before leaning forwards onto the desk. He pointed at the clock on the wall and held up ten fingers, rolling his eyes. I silently laughed, turning back around.

“Jasmine?” the professor asked, pointing at a girl in the front row who had her hand raised.

I sighed and rested my head in my palm. Jasmine answered the question and smiled to herself. She was incredibly beautiful; her long, dark hair framed her face and highlighted her gorgeous blue eyes. She was everything I’ve ever wanted to look like. On top of that, she was insanely intelligent; she knew every answer and earned house points on the daily. There was just something about her that made me want to be her friend.

“Sophie, can you answer the question, please?” the professor asked, staring at me.

I blinked, tilting my head slightly to the side. What had she asked? My head was spinning with things I could possibly say, but instead I mumbled a response. The professor sighed and crossed her arms across her body.

“Another five points from Serpents. When I say to pay attention, I mean it, Sophie!”

I shook my head sadly and looked in Jasmine’s direction. She was watching me, intrigued.

“Alright class, that will conclude our lesson today. You may leave.”

As the class scrambled to collect their things, a quiet chatter began in the classroom.

“Wait, before you go, everyone, remember to stop by Hogsworth’s pride parade tonight! Bring picnic blankets and some snacks!” the professor said, raising her voice to overpower the noise in the class.

I picked up my books and made a beeline towards the door, though Alec stopped me.

“Hey, Sophie! Class was so boring today, right?” he asked, grabbing my arm.

I turned to see Jasmine leaving the classroom, talking with some other students. As she left, she threw her head back, laughing and hugging her books to her chest.

“Are you okay? You seemed out of it today in class.”

“Huh? What do you mean?” I asked, watching Jasmine disappear around the corner.

“You just seem so… distracted,” Alec said, concerned. He bent down to look me in the eyes. “Are you sure you’re okay, Soph?”

Was I ok? I couldn’t stop thinking about Jasmine. She was living in my head rent-free, and for what? She was so magnetic.

“I- yeah, yeah, I’m fine. I’m fine,” I said, forcing a smile.

“Cool. Well, I’m going to go to class. I’ll see you later, Sophie,” Alec said. He let go of my arms and walked away. I stood in the now-empty hallway for a minute in silence, thoughts racing through my brain.

I should go see Luca,” I thought. “They’ll know what to do.

“Alright,” Luca said, crossing their legs on the bed and watching me intently. “What’s going on, Soph?”

I sat under the dim lights of Luca’s dorm, slumped on the bed while they simply watched me.

“Well, there’s this girl, her name is Jasmine. She’s in my Transfiguration class.”

“Mmhm…” Luca said, crossing their arms.

“I can’t stop thinking about her. It’s like I’m obsessed with her or something, Luca.”

Luca studied my face for a moment before speaking again.

“What about Alec? You two are dating, right? Tell me about that, first,” they said.

“Huh?” I asked.

“What did Alec have to do with this?” I questioned in my head, but ultimately resigned myself to sighing and complying with his question. After all, Luca knew best.

“Well, we’re fine, I guess. We’re happy, but I’m not really, well, in love, you know?” I admitted, sitting up.

Luca simply nodded, listening intently. After a moment of silence, they stood up.
“What do you like about Jasmine?”

I thought about the question. She was beautiful, smart, and an amazing person. How could I possibly begin to describe her?

“She’s… she’s perfect.”

“My friend had this exact situation happen to her, Sophie,” Luca said immediately.
I jumped to my feet, eyes wide.

“Really? What did she do?” I asked. I was shocked that this happened to someone else.

“She figured out that she was bisexual. She likes both women and men. Is it possible that you like Jasmine, Sophie?”

I took a step back, looking back at my experiences with Jasmine. It’s true, I had never felt that way about Alec. I never thought it would’ve been me liking her, though. I had never considered that I may actually like Jasmine.

“You should talk to her.”

I nodded in agreement.

“I should.”

I walked through the halls, my books under my arm. After scanning the busy area, I spotted Jasmine, standing alone. I hurried over to her and cleared my throat. She turned to me and smiled.

“Sophie!” Jasmine exclaimed, grinning.

“I- I- ah, I-” I stammered, palms sweaty. I coughed nervously, causing Jasmine to raise an eyebrow. I could barely make a full sentence. “I- sorry, I- aha, I-”

I blushed and looked down at my feet. Jasmine simply laughed softly.

“Sorry, I’m sorry,” I said, slowly regaining my confidence. “You probably think I’m insane for staring at you during Transfiguration.”

Jasmine laughed again.

“It’s fine.” She paused for a moment. “It’s kinda cute, y’know.”

She took one last glance at me before turning and walking away. I stood in shock and watched her turn the corner, my heart beating a million times a minute.

“Guess who?” a voice from behind me said, hands covering my eyes. I sighed and pushed through, turning to see Alec standing in the hallway.

“Hey, Alec,” I said quietly, rocking on my heels.

“Sophie, what’s wrong?” he asked.

I looked up to meet his gaze. Looking at him didn’t give me the butterflies in my stomach Jasmine did. It just wasn’t the same.

“I think we should take a break,” I blurted out.

“What?” Alec said softly, surprised but seemingly calm.

“I- I just don’t think that I feel the same way about you that you do about me, Alec.”

“Oh,” he breathed, nodding. “I understand.”

“You do?” I gasped.

“Yes, of course. I want you to be happy.”

I nodded and hugged him. We pulled apart after a moment and I looked at the ground.

“Is it Jasmine?” he asked.

I looked back up at him, shocked.

“How- how did you know?” I stammered.

He laughed to himself, resting his hand on my shoulder.

“I see the way you look at her, Soph. Please, go tell her. Go be happy.”

Tears welled in my eyes as I pulled Alec into another tight hug.

“Thank you,” I whispered in his ear before turning and running away. I turned to look behind me before turning the corner and saw him smiling and waving.

The hallways were empty by the time I reached the Great Hall. Students were gathered in the courtyard, chattering and laughing. The sun was just beginning to set and cast a soft, orange glow over the stone structures outside. I noticed a single figure in the Great Hall. The long, dark hair and book on the table let me know right away that it was Jasmine. I walked up to her and tapped her shoulder, my heart pounding in my chest.

She turned around in her seat and I couldn’t help but blush.

“Jasmine,” I said, my voice shaking, “I have feelings for you. I- will you go to the pride parade with me?”

Jasmine was still for a moment as a smile grew on her face.

“Yes. Oh my gosh, yes!” she squealed, standing up.

Jasmine gazed at me before pulling me into a kiss. It seemed as if my stomach was full of butterflies, and even when she stepped back, my heart was still fluttering. She held out her hand and I grabbed it, and together, we walked out of the Great Hall.

“Are you ready for the parade?” she asked, smiling and turning towards me.

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” I responded, putting my arm around her.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
The Beauty of Writing
Original Works
Written by kvmw
Edited by ShaneChi

As a writer of the Daily Diviner, Colleen Sullivan felt as if the world were at the tip of her fingers, ready to bend to her will as she wove stories of the real and the imaginary. As she reported on the elections, or the results of a sports event, she knew that hundreds were just an owl away, eagerly awaiting the day’s news. Perhaps over a cup of coffee, or hurrying on their way to work—the thought of their eyes skimming over her name sent a thrill through her. There could be someone out there who recognized her name, who viewed her as a source of knowledge in a world where facts were so often warped into a retelling of the truth.

From a young age, Colleen had loved writing. While other kids ran outside and played, she would sit at the little bean bag chair in the corner of her room and read. While others went on playdates to go see friends, she would sit, cooped up at her desk, writing. And though her first works were mediocre at best, time and practice had improved her skills significantly. By the time she attended Hogsworth, she had a solid idea of what her future held, and was eager to improve her skills at the renowned school.

However, her years at Hogsworth weren’t very happy. Colleen stuck out like a sore thumb in Hogsworth—being Irish, not British, her accents, looks, and traditions separated her from the rest of the student body. She had few friends, and was quite lonely, spending her free time quietly listening to other students gossip. They never thought she was listening—that, or they didn’t care enough that she heard. And no one ever wanted to listen to what she had to say.

But that all changed when she joined the Daily Diviner. Suddenly, an entire audience of people would hear what she had to say—not just the facts, but her opinions and stories! Her schoolmates and their families, people she’d never met before, wanted to hear her! It made up for how hectic reporting for the Daily Diviner could be, and the many late hours she worked to finish her newest article, eager to perfect it up until the deadline.

You had to be careful as a reporter—you had to separate the opinions from the facts, a truly difficult task since beliefs are rooted in reporting. A writer who does not let their beliefs bleed into their writing did not exist, but Colleen tried her best. There were hundreds of people who would read her story and view the world a little differently.

For this issue, however, she was writing a creative story. Fictional writing was easy for Colleen—it came with none of the stress of accuracy, nor any potential unexpected turn of events. She could write as she wished, the words flowing from quill to parchment as her mind whirled, spinning stories of all kinds.

She often drew inspiration from the sights around her—a man hurrying on his way to work, a woman bending over to pick up her screaming baby, or several children playing a game of tag. And though there were facts in the world to report, stories to present to the public’s eye, there was also art to be shown. The art of words, the black on white painting a story that looked slightly different to each eye, which there were hundreds of.

All this was what Colleen loved about writing for the Daily Diviner.

Status
Not open for further replies.