DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Recruiting More Members!
Feature
Written by Melioraa
Edited by ShaneChi

Hello witches and wizards, and welcome back to the 18th edition of the Daily Diviner! In this edition’s Feature article, we’ll be discussing some big news in the field of wizarding journalism! Towards the end of last month, the Daily Diviner team saw the reopening of writer applications, and the introduction of a new way into the team; editor applications! But what exactly is the Daily Diviner team? What do we do? What is it like to be part of both the team and the Media department? What lessons can be learned from joining the Daily Diviner team? Well fear not, I’ll be answering all of those and a few more in today’s article!

Before we get into the details, what exactly is the Daily Diviner team? We’ve been talking about this group of people for a while, but what exactly is it? The Daily Diviner team is made up of members of the Potterworld team, who work together to bring you newspaper articles every month. Writers, editors, and Daily Diviner Lead Producers all assist each other in creating quality articles for the players of our favorite server. Included in this team at the current moment are the following people, as well as their roles within the sub-department of Media that is the Daily Diviner; andr3u, Carolllyn, kvmw, Melioraa, Silquer, and Spaghelle as writers, ShaneChi and MamaDuckie as editors and maddinq, MaggieChi, and PotatoEmma as Lead Producers. Every single member works to the best of their ability alongside their co-workers to produce articles in time. But wait! How do we make the articles for each edition?

Well, towards the publication date of the last edition, every writer is assigned a column and a theme by a Daily Diviner Lead Producer for an article. After it’s been assigned, the first thing we need to do is come up with an outline for that article. This helps us make sure we know what we’re doing in advance. When it’s done, we can move onto actually writing the article! Making sure we stick to the outline as guidance, we move through and cover everything we want/need to for the assigned topic. Once we’re finished, we notify the assigned editor and they get started on their job! They work through our articles, making any changes they see fit regarding spelling mistakes or grammar, and then notify the writers when they’re done. Once the editing is complete, the article is now ready to be published in the next edition of the Daily Diviner! With that said, we’re not limited to just these articles. If a Daily Diviner writer ever finds themselves with some free time and the urge to write, they’re also encouraged to create separate articles that can be used in future editions. In the Daily Diviner Team, we all help each other in order to produce each set of publications for our beloved readers!

As for the work environment that surrounds not only the sub-team of Media but the Media department itself, the best way it can be explained is similar to a family gathered around the fire during a cold winter night, after being outside all day working. Laughter fills the room as the head of the family tells jokes, and even the children come and tell funny stories they’ve seen while they’ve been outside. Within both the Daily Diviner team and Media, we’re a family that supports each other when we’re in need. Should you join the Media department, you’ll find that you’ll never be alone and I believe that all the members of the team would agree.

Speaking of the current members of the Daily Diviner team, they’ve got a few words for those who have applied for Writer or Editor. Shane says, “My sincerest wishes of good fortune to those applying, and an ironic reminder to never be verbose.” MamaDuckie follows with, “Throw caution to the wind when writing, for there's nothing more challenging for a writer than to be sat in front of a blank page with a fear to write something that you believe no one will like.” Silver and Carolyn wish you guys all the best with, “Good luck to all who apply, and most importantly, have fun writing!” and “I hope those applying have a true love for writing because you will definitely need that on the team! It’s a lot of fun!” respectively. On the other hand, Elle offers some great advice with writing, “Write for yourself, not for the reaction of others; your personality shines through your writing, just as an artist reflects themselves in their work. Best of luck to all of the applicants!”

We’ve spoken to the editors and writers, but what about the leaders of the team? Two of the Lead Producers, Maggie and Emma also had something to say! Maggie says, “Whether we’re chatting about paninis or teasing one another for using ugly fonts, being a part of the Daily Diviner team is always good fun. I’m super excited to welcome some new writers and editors to the team! Good luck to all of the applicants <3” and Emma ends with “As the headmaster once said: ‘Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it.’ This is what makes writing so amazing: there’s no limit! Good luck to everybody applying!”
As for me? Always make sure to follow your dreams and do something you enjoy. I can’t wait to work with the new members of the team!

With that, it brings us to the end of this edition’s Feature article. Thank you all so much for your continued support of the Daily Diviner, and I hope you all have enjoyed reading. Every single one of us can’t wait to meet the newest additions to the team, and if you’d like to join after reading about what we do, make sure to keep an eye on our Discord and forums for updates. Have a great day or night, and make sure to check out the other articles for this edition!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Travelling Through the Towns: Is It Truly Worth It?
Editorial
Written by ellesaurusrex
Edited by PotatoEmma

Greetings, witches and wizards! Welcome back to another spectacular edition of this August’s first Daily Diviner. I hope you’re all ready to partake on a wonderful journey, because in this week’s Editorial you’ll be travelling through a few of Potterworld’s most well-renowned towns! In the last edition’s Feature article, a few of the towns were explored, among which Rushstone, Eldham Ridge, and Appleby! This week, we’ll go further into the map and see some brand new towns. We’ll be exploring the pros and cons of travel, important sights to see, and, more importantly; the gameplay value of the town itself! Each one has its own unique place and significance in the magical world: but today, we’re going to focus on two that I think are worth visiting the most.

Towns on the server are certainly not something new, but the Revelius update brought in aspects that have never been seen before. Ever since the beginning of July, we’ve been able to travel straight from the castle to any location on the map! While this is an exciting feature of the update, sometimes travel can seem either time-consuming or just outright expensive if you choose to get around via fire dust: twenty gold for one piece of dust, while most locations can cost three or four pieces- sometimes even seven! However, sometimes the beautiful architecture of a town and the opportunity for quests can just not be overlooked. With all of this noted, let’s jump right in!

The first location on our guide is south of Hogsworth, located on the western coast of the map; the snowy region of Wigtown! While it’s one of the newly introduced Revelius-era towns, Wigtown also made headway on the server as the first full snow-covered region of the map! The town is complete with a picturesque frozen lake, positioned right near the twisting arrays of cozy homes that make up Wigtown. While the sights of this snow-covered hub are stunning, the travel costs can seem less than ideal for some- from the Great Hall of Hogsworth, it will cost you 3 pieces of fire dust to get here! With the dust being as costly as it currently is, this is no light travel fee.

However, as long as you plan accordingly, a trip to Wigtown may even spruce up your bank account; there are multiple quests in this village, such as the Bells of Wigtown, that will reward you with gold so long as you fulfill the requirements. To round all of this up, Wigtown has one last thing to boast: it has all four important gameplay stations. A Crafting Center, a Tailor, a Vendor, and the handy Fire Dust Network can all be found in the village! I truly think that Wigtown is worth a visit, and not just for gameplay value. While the quests are a great method of obtaining quick experience and gold, to me it isn’t the priority in this town: my favorite aspect is the architecture. Each house is so carefully crafted with cozy, welcoming interiors and the landscape outside sets itself far apart from the rest of the world with it’s icy waters and snow-covered grounds. I’d take some time to explore the town and all of it’s marvelous sights, right before we move up to the northern reaches of the map at our next stop on the guide!

After a long flight all the way to the top of the world map, we arrive at Antrum! Antrum is situated in a valley-like formation between a mountain range that extends far east into Rushstone and shoots down south into the outer regions of Hogsworth. Unlike the southern portion of the world, full of soft rolling hills of grass and flatlands of gravel and dirt, the north is defined by sharp ridges of rock that surround the towns and form a majority of their lore. In this case, Antrum is Potterworld’s only mining town! When you first fly overhead, the style of houses is distinctly different from the rest. Rough-looking, marked by piles of loose coal and campfires dotting the slopes that the homes sit atop of. It’s truly a sight to see, especially after flying over leagues and leagues of dark forest beforehand. Watch out when exploring the age-old mineshafts: due to the effects of time, the caves have started to collapse on themselves, leaving chunks of rubble from the mines to tumble right into Antrum town...

Unlike Wigtown however, the cost of travel in both time and gold is relatively low. Antrum is far closer to Hogsworth and still offers the amazing deal of all four major gameplay centers mentioned in the previous location.

In addition, the mining town is close to not two, but three major mob locations on the map! First, you have the werewolves, which are barely a short walk away if you venture through Antrum’s mining tunnel to the west. To the east, you have the higher levelled vexlings and runespores, which are major targets for higher level players searching for gear and broom recipes. With Antrum being so close, the vendor and tailor truly come in handy! I would have to say this is what makes Antrum so great for players. I think the location gives new players the opportunity to see new architectural styles that Potterworld utilizes, and it provides experienced players with an easy location to craft recipes and journey out from. Personally, Antrum has always been helpful when I’m already in the region and need to find a tailor or a vendor; this location truly packs in an all-in-one. Unique builds, easy accessibility, and gameplay value at its finest all define Antrum as the place to be!

Even though I think that these two towns are superb in their place in Potterworld, I support everyone taking a chance and venturing out into the unknown! While the castle may seem cozy and safe, even as a newer player, there are so many beautiful sights to see and adventurous quests to be taken up around the world. I hope that you’ll take my travel advice wisely, but don’t be afraid to try something new every once in a while. Most importantly though: stay safe! I’d like to thank all of my readers for tuning in to this week’s Editorial column. Best wishes, and I’ll see all of you next week!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
The Updated Dueling Tournament
Games and Sports
Written by Silquer
Edited by ShaneChi

Hello readers, and welcome to another edition of the Daily Diviner! Today, I’m going to discuss my opinions on the first post-Revelius dueling tournament! Hosted on July 25th, the dueling finals consisted of several one-versus-one duels that determined the first, second, and third place winners. Despite the basic premise, there have been many changes to the formula since the release of Revelius, and the tournament as a whole has changed significantly. Let’s talk about the new system in depth.

As mentioned above, the tournament was comprised of a series of one-versus-one duels, and both players started on one end of the arena and used their various spells and tactics to be the last player standing. The first few duels were a best of one; the first player to die was automatically eliminated. However, as the tournament went on, the number of rounds per duel increased. For example, the quarter finals and semifinals were both a best of three, while the grand final was a best of five. As for who won, congratulations to Axsthete, who utilized careful strategy and well-timed spells to win the tournament! If you want to see everyone’s outstanding dueling, or if you want to see the new tournament structure for yourself, you can find the uploaded livestream on the Potterworld Youtube channel. I highly suggest checking it out! Now that I’ve explained it in full, let’s look at the tournament from a more opinionated perspective.

Overall, the entire tournament ran very smoothly, and every duel was fast-paced and thoroughly enjoyable. There was never a dull moment, and that can be attributed to improved spells and unique tactics we’ve never seen before. However, there were some minor issues. As an example, one duel had to be redone because one of the players didn’t start at full health. Also, the arena is a bit too big, making it hard to concentrate on both players at once. With larger dueling groups being implemented in the future, these may turn into substantial problems.

On a more positive note, I’m very excited to see said larger groups and the effect it will have on the dueling dynamic. Hopefully, we’ll see more crowd control spells and maybe even new strategies. Not to mention, the magic system is still under development, and new changes to further spell balance may come in the future. With so many upcoming possibilities, the future is looking bright!

All in all, the tournament was fun and engaging. Each player used the new spells to make unique strategies and develop their own playstyle. I recommend watching the tournament yourself, and encourage any future participants to learn from their opponents! That’s all for this article, but I hope you’ll join me in getting excited for what the future holds for dueling!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Tips for Parkour Jumps
Games and Sports
Written by andr3u
Edited by ShaneChi

Hello witches and wizards, and welcome to the second Games & Sports article of the 18th edition of the Daily Diviner! There are many skills that PotterworldMC gives players the chance to practice and perfect, including parkour. Wizard’s PE class, locations across the world map, as well as the pre-Revelius Ministry parkour are all ways that players have honed their parkour skills in Potterworld history. However, many still struggle with the various types of parkour jumps and aren’t quite familiar with the methods involved in completing them. I would like to introduce Leyak_Alzarin (LiviDk), who shared some parkour advice with me for you readers. I hope that these tips and tricks can make players more skillful in their parkour endeavors!

There is a wide variety of parkour jumps that can be done, but jumping long distances from block to block can still be a struggle. Leyak states that you should use trial and error to figure out the angles you face your crosshair at that work well for you. By jumping once before you jump to the next block, you can gain some momentum. Looking down at the block you are on and jumping after your crosshair goes over the edge of the block can help you memorize when you should be jumping. While long distances in parkour jumps may be intimidating, practice and memorization of the techniques will allow you to face them with ease.

According to Leyak, jumping from fence to fence in parkour are some of the most difficult jumps to perform! People tend to be surprised when they do fence parkour since they aim to jump for the edge of how the fence looks rather than think about the hitbox of the block. Remember that the fence’s hitbox to land on is always taller than it looks. Another method to help you land your fence parkour jumps more frequently is practicing fence parkour at different distances. This may help you memorize where the hitbox of the fence actually extends to. Placing blocks in between the fences may also help you with memorizing the angles to turn at. However, this method would place you in a more difficult environment than jumping from block to block around a wall. Simply thinking about the shape of fences compared to blocks can be quite confusing, but picturing it as a block with a larger hitbox will help you easily take on fences when doing parkour.

Neos are the parkour jumps that have you jumping to a block that is placed behind a wall which you must jump around. Some players may spend hours on end performing neo jumps, which is really the most effective way to master them. You will also want to memorize the angles at which you turn your cursor. Timing is key to ensure that you don’t stray too far away from the block but that you don’t simply crash into the wall. However, like I said, practicing neos over and over will go hand in hand with perfecting your timing and your angles to perfect your skills.

Thank you to Leyak for coming in today to give us all some tips and tricks! He is one of the most well-known and skillful parkourists on the server, so you can trust that his advice can be quite helpful. I encourage you all to go practice some of these parkour challenges across the server, on other servers or in some singleplayer worlds! I personally feel a lot more knowledgeable about the world of parkour after interviewing Leyak and I hope you all will get the same feeling. This has been Andreu with another edition of the Daily Diviner. Stay safe everyone!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Map Secrets!
Lifestyle
Written by Carolllyn
Edited by MamaDuckie

Hello witches and wizards, and welcome to another one of my lifestyle articles! With the introduction of the recent Revelius Update, I’ve found myself exploring the wizarding world more than ever before! In my opinion, the new map is the highlight of the update and it’s so much fun to adventure in! While out in the field (as a dedicated journalist should be), I discovered a bunch of secrets that I’m absolutely dying to share with you guys, my readers. I’ve narrowed it down to three amazingly cool locations that I want to share with you in this article. Get ready, because I know for a fact that these highly classified spots will leave you in awe!

Have you ever eaten so many Licorice Leeches at Honeysweet’s that you just couldn’t be bothered to make the arduous trek back to Hogsworth? I know I have! However, a little known secret passage back to Hogsworth lies underneath the candy shop to make the trip easier. Make your way to the locked door near the register (unlock it using the spell, Revelius) and go down the stairs to the storage room where you’ll find a ladder leading to an even lower level. Here, you will see a pressure plate. Simply stepping on it will have you teleporting back to Hogsworth, minus the physical efforts of past travel methods. Just don’t let the cashier catch you!

I’m always looking for new places to hike in the wizarding world. Or simply stroll. There’s a long cave-like tunnel that runs from under the Owlery and opens back up to some ruins nearby the Greenhouses. I often go there for the tiny ravines and waterfalls to see along the way. One of the best parts? If you stray a bit from the main path, you will encounter a few chest locations with loot you definitely don’t want to miss out on. Be careful, though. It’s dangerously dark and confusing there. It can be hard to see without Lumen and, even with this spell, you still run the risk of making a very wrong turn and ending up in the deep depths of the unforgiving cave… and never find your way out. But that’s what’s so fun! If you do make it out, the adrenaline rush is fantastic.

Charms class can be fun and all, but I think we can all agree it gets a bit boring after a while. Sometimes I’d rather escape the lecture and relax. Well, guess what? Now you can. I’m not exactly encouraging all you studious students to sneak out of class… or am I? Maybe. Anyway, if you wander over to the left corner of the classroom, you will notice a painting. It’s about the length and width of a wizard, perfect to walk right into. Behind it, there’s a pressure plate that will warp you to a lounge! Small, but quaint. A few floors. All kinds of amenities. Perfect for relieving the pressure of a long day of classes at Hogsworth. When the teacher isn’t looking, quickly and quietly, slip away into this lovely abode. Tell your friends. Make an event out of it. Who knows, you might even bump into me sitting in one of the vintage armchairs writing an article.

I hope you guys go out, give these locations a try, and have a blast doing so! There’s nothing more rewarding on the map than discovering it’s well-hidden secrets. Let me know which spot was your favorite by sending me a book and quill in-game, messaging me in-game, or direct messaging me on Discord! I love hearing from my readers. I will still be on the lookout for more hidden places in the wizarding world and I recommend you guys do the same! This was Carolyn Lestrange reporting for the Daily Diviner!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Guardian Sister
Original Works
Written by kvmw
Edited by MamaDuckie

Going to Hogsworth was always inevitable for Mina, but that didn’t mean she wasn’t nervous. Her sister, Lucy, had come back from Hogsworth for the past four years, each year telling tales of her adventures and prowess. And while it was all very exciting, Lucy had also come back changed.

Lucy before Hogsworth was always attentive towards her, willing to partake in whatever Mina wanted to do, whether it be playing with dolls or roughhousing in their backyard. She would slowly explain things to Mina when she did not understand. Lucy after Hogsworth stayed cooped up in her room, pouring over books and writing letters to her friends. She became impatient and usually gave short, unsatisfying answers before escaping her annoying little sister.

All in all, Lucy wasn’t quite sure she liked Hogsworth.

Her parents told her she was being silly. At Hogsworth, witches and wizards found their calling in life, and learned to do magic. It was for the purpose of learning magic that Mina willingly left their secluded home in Northern Britain for Platform 9 and ½.

She shifted with unease. Even though she knew that there wasn’t really a brick wall there, it was very difficult to run yourself towards one.

“Come on, Mina!” It was Lucy. “Go on. I’ll follow right after you.”

Mina closed her eyes and found herself on a train platform packed full of students, parents, and luggage. It was a spectacular scene. Mina had never seen so many people in one place, and she felt herself being shifted forward by the crowd.

However, the excitement was beginning to wear off, and a feeling of dread was replacing it. Mina did not like crowds—you didn’t find crowds where she lived—and she reached out for a comforting hand and held what she thought was Lucy’s hand.

“May I ask why you’re holding my hand?” a boy’s voice sneered.

Yelping with surprise, Mina extracted her hand from his cold one and felt tears rush to her eyes. “I’m sorry! I thought you were my sister.”

His eyes glittered. “What’s your name?”

“Mina,” she whispered.

“Well, Mina,” he said, leaning down to whisper in her ear. “Hogsworth doesn’t like cry-babies. See that big red train over there?” Of course, Mina could see it. “You get on there, and try your best not to cry for mommy, okay?”

. . .

The conversation with the boy marked only the beginning of Mina’s troubles. She had difficulty finding friends at Hogsworth, and every time she tried to explain this to Lucy, she’d get waved away. “It’s not that hard, Mina!” her sister would say encouragingly. “Just talk to the kid who sits next to you. It can’t be that hard.”

Unfortunately, among the first-years, Mina had a reputation for being sensitive. It earned her a great deal of teasing, and no friends, from the others in her year. During one of these teasings, the boy from the platform cornered Mina in one of the shortcuts that Lucy had guided her through on her first day.

“Not crying again, are you?” he drawled, coming upon her.

She hadn’t been, but the appearance of the boy made her want to cry. “No,” she said.

“No? How shocking.” His sneer was awful. “I can, even now, see your eyes are shining. Were you lying to me?” Mina flinched in fright.

“N-no,” she stammered, backing further away from him.

“Is that all you can say?” he taunted. “No? That’s what I expect. You’re—”

“What have I walked into?”

Mina knew her voice even before her eyes met the amused hazel ones of her sister. The boy, a little startled by the appearance of a student older than him, frowned. “Nothing. I was just giving this little girl here a talk.”

“Ah, yes, of course.” Mina gave her sister a pleading look, begging her to save her. “Please tell me what you were about to say. I’m sorry I interrupted.”

The boy looked a little uncomfortable now. “None of your business,” he said.

“Oh, really.” Her face wore an expression of boredom. “Was it something along the lines of ‘stupid,’ or ‘dumb’?’”

He scowled. “Like I said, none of your business.”

And with that, he stalked away.

However, he didn’t just leave her alone for that day. In fact, he never bothered Mina again. Gradually, Mina’s school year got better. When she returned home for the summer, she could give a tolerable account to her parents of the year—provided she didn’t mention the entire first half of the year.

And it was only many years later that Mina learned why the boy had stopped bothering her. It was through her parents, whom Lucy had described her younger sister’s struggles without Mina’s knowledge, that Mina learned the truth.

They told her that Lucy had promised to put a Sticking Charm on one of his possessions every day until he had sworn to never bother her little sister again. That the boy, after a week of resisting her demands, caved in. That because of her sister, Mina was able to become the fully-capable witch she was today.

And though Mina hadn’t been grateful in the past, she was now. And though the sisters had their differences, they loved each other just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.