DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
An Exciting Look into October!
Feature

Written by: Silquer
Edited by: MamaDuckie
Hello dear readers, and welcome to another issue of the Daily Diviner! September has finally come to a close, and with it, we say goodbye to the last remnants of summer and welcome in the chilling month of October! Autumnal scenery, cozy scarves, and the promise of candy are all reasons to get excited for the new month; but here on Potterworld, the season is just getting started! From an art fundraiser to the next Halloween event, Potterworld is going to be packed full of fun and interesting activities. Let’s take a closer look at a few of these upcoming events.

The first and most recent event on this list is the Werewolf art fundraiser! This Media-hosted competition is a fun and engaging way to help all of the Werewolves in our community. Each submission will be equivalent to ten donated Wolfsbane potions! Every submission counts, so even if you’re not confident in your skills as an artist, give it a shot! It doesn’t have to be traditional art, either. Feel free to get as creative as possible with food art, Minecraft skins, and real-life photos! Submission for the event ends on October 6th, so if you haven’t submitted anything yet, there’s still time! For more information on how and what to submit, visit the Potterworld website forums. I can’t wait to see some of the creativity Potterworld’s community has to offer!

The next monthly attractions on the horizon are the new store items! With the release of October-themed items, a slew of creepy brooms, hats, and sceneries are adding an eerie flare to the store. You’ll be able to live in a chilling graveyard, courtesy of the Riddleyard Scenery, openly display your vibrant Halloween spirit through the Pumpkin Hat, express your spooky mood through Halloween-themed emotes, and more! Keep an eye out for these terrifyingly terrific store items. I know I’ll be spending some Potterpoints in the near future!

The final event I’m going to cover is arguably the most anticipated of the month: the Halloween event! Ghastly ghouls, tasty candies, and fun minigames are all staples of previous Potterworld Halloween events. What’s not to love about this event? With such an interesting and varied past, it’s exciting to contemplate what the 2020 Halloween event will bring to the table. Will it feature another Deathday Party? Will players have the opportunity to compete in writing or skin-making competitions? Will there be themed minigames? Or, will it feature something entirely new? I, for one, am excited to see what creative and ghostly ideas the staff team has prepared!

What do you think? Does October look exciting? Each event and activity represents the core of Potterworld’s Halloween, from supporting great causes to celebrating one of the oldest traditions on the server. October is sure to deliver the seasonal joy and horror that has constantly drawn players in years before! I hope you’ll join me in getting excited for the new activities, and wish you a very happy Potterworld Halloween!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
What's all the Hubub about the Roleplay Hub?
Editorial

Written by: ChaileyChi
Welcome back to the editorial column of the Daily Diviner! My name is Chailey and this week I will be reporting on the brand new Roleplay Hub that was released recently! On September 18th, it was announced that there is a new location accessible from an NPC in the Great Hall. This addition to the server is going to make roleplay more accessible to all players.

The Roleplay Hub is a location where players have easy access to all of the allegiance’s bases. There are NPC’s of the roleplay leaders that teleport you to the bases. It also is the location of any NPC’s that may relate to the current events. Another feature of the hub is the roleplay catalog. This catalog allows players to travel to various popular locations in the world, which are accessible in the Roleplay world, such as The Dwelling, Mysterious Manor, The White Wyvern, and 12 Grimmane Lane. The last feature I will be covering is that there is an option to receive books that have information about the major Roleplay Leaders and Inner Circles.

The decision to create this central location for roleplay was made mainly to encourage unofficial roleplay. The roleplay team has noticed a large decrease in unofficial roleplay and the goal of the Roleplay Hub is to spark that up again. They understand that since the Revelius Update, travel has been increasingly difficult. The roleplay catalog allows players to access locations where they can hold roleplays that are separate from the worlds. They do not connect with the live world so this will not make travel easier, but at least will make roleplay more accessible.

I had the opportunity to interview the lead of the roleplay team, Joelowo. When asked to describe the Roleplay Hub’s purpose, he responded, ”The main goal with the roleplay hub is to make it the centre location for everything roleplay related. We hope to have it filled with allegiance bases and a whole catalogue of locations which players can use to unofficially roleplay in.”

While the release has brought many features, there is also quite a bit planned. Currently only the Aurorlock base is accessible, however, as more bases are completed they will be added in. When asked what else players can expect in the future, Joel said, ”One upcoming feature for the roleplay hub that we're very excited to work on is the roleplay shop. We hope to sell some very interesting items from the roleplay shop which may relate to any official OR unofficial roleplay going on at the time!”

One last thing Joel wants everyone to know is, “We have a lot planned for the future of roleplay. Remember to keep your eyes open and to pay attention to every little detail, who knows what may come next? Thank you and farewell!”

I am very excited to see how this concept develops and cannot wait to see the Roleplay Hub expand. I want to thank Joelowo for his information and insight about the Roleplay Hub. Thank you for joining us for information on the Roleplay Hub’s release. I hope you all have a great day and tune into the rest of the issue!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Learning From the Best!
Editorial

Written by: KnifeAndy
Edited by: MaggieChi
Hello witches and wizards, and welcome to the second Games & Sports article of the 22nd edition of the Daily Diviner! As some of you may know, World Teacher’s Day is coming up on October 5th. Over the past year, many players and staff members alike have learned a lot in their lives and in the magical world due to their fantastic teachers. Staff members specifically have been working towards perfecting their craft in making PotterworldMC a fun community for us all, and that’s what we’ll be exploring today. I would now like to introduce ProbsAMistake (Callie_Selwyn), darkatspock (Kade_Everard), ChaileyChi (Chailey_Selwyn), who have taken the time to answer a few questions about what they’ve learned as members of the staff team.

Who is someone you have learned from in your endeavors in the magical world during your time as a staff member?

Kade: Oh gosh, that is such a hard question! There are so many amazing people on the staff team, so it is so hard to choose just one person. If I had to choose just one, I'd probably say SysterTM! I've been working alongside Sys for several years now, and they're such a nice and genuine person.

Callie: I have probably learned the most from my mentor and mentee, gospojken and WhiskLuka. They both have taught me a variety of things, but one thing they share is being there for me since the very beginning.

Chailey: I have learned from so many different people within this community. Two of the most influential people on the staff team to me are SophiaChi and NSGaming.

What have they taught you?

Kade: She's taught me that some things just do not work out how they were intended to, and even when things fall to pieces, that you can still have a good laugh about it.

Callie: I have learned from them both in many different ways. Gospojken has guided me through being a new staff member and being one of few friends in the beginning of my time as staff, always there as a helping hand when I should need it. Luka has supported me through my entire staff journey even when he was a player, and he continues to show me the value of hard work through his constant perseverance in Moderation today.

Chailey: Sophia has taught me a lot of little things about how to be a better staff member, such as tips and tricks for dealing with tickets as a non-moderation member. Noah has been there for every single one of my nonsensical questions about how to work with tech. He has taught me every bit of tech that I know.

How have you been able to utilize this knowledge on the team and on the server?

Kade: Though I have never been a Groundskeeper, many of the staff members have lately helped them with the release of the Revelius update in the beginning of July. This included keeping track of bugs, glitches, etc. It was amazing seeing them work and still having a good laugh about things, despite all of the hiccups along the way. Even now, teaching classes on PW, if something doesn't go how I thought it would or I make typos (which happens pretty often hahaha), sometimes a good laugh helps. I love to show students that we are not perfect, that they do not need to be perfect, and that it is important to have fun when you can. Make the most of what you have!

Callie: I feel as though their help has aided me in growing as a staff member, specifically with gospojken's weekly feedback. He always wants me to be the best I can and I feel that it shows through my work and my help in the community. In the way of Luka's help, I strive to be someone he can go to at any time and to set a good example for him (not that he needs it as the amazing staff member he is). I think that also shows through in my time on the server with helping players or answering tickets. Overall, they push me to be a better moderator and a better person, which is always good.

Chailey: I utilize the knowledge every day when handling tickets and such and also when working on projects for roleplay events.

Thank you to the interviewees for taking the time to answer these questions for the Daily Diviner today! We’ve all learned a lot this past year, despite so much happening in our world. The PotterworldMC staff team is a wonderful environment to practice different skills and to learn from the best, so I would suggest applying if this interests you! Lastly, a big thank you to all the teachers and professors in the world for educating all of us. Happy Teacher’s Day! This has been Andreu with another edition of the Daily Diviner. Stay safe, everyone!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Graduate Quests
Games and Sports
Written by: RicerRani

Hey, hey, hey fellow witches and wizards, welcome back to the Daily Diviner’s Games and Sports column! My name is Rani, and I’ll be bringing you all of your sports updates for this edition. Back in early September, the Game Design department, more specifically the Unspeakables, released a total of twelve new graduate quests for all of those who had finished everything else to enjoy. In today’s article, we’ll be covering two of these quests - Creature Collection and Into the Dark!

The Creature Collection and Into the Dark quests are two of the twelve newly released adventures for graduates. Players gain access to these quests at level 77 and 80 respectively, and unlike some of the other quests available to graduates they do not require you to complete any quests beforehand.

For Creature Collection, it would seem that magical creatures have been disappearing all over London! Officer Jenny, located in Gnollberg Port, needs your assistance and will offer you 4620 gold and 880500 exp for helping her discover and fix the issue.

The Into the Dark quest introduces the well-known Dark Prison and allows players to explore the horrors that lay inside. Officer Carson of the Ministry is looking to hire young wizards and witches to work as guards for the Dark Prison. Those who accept the opportunity will be paid handsomely with a total of 4800 gold.

With the release of these new quests, there will no doubt be people who wish to complete these quests as fast as they can. All communities have them! I asked the players of Potterworld, the ones who had completed these adventures, for the estimated time it took them to complete the objectives, and here’s the fastest!

Fellow Staff Member tweetweettang who has completed both quests claims she managed to complete Creature Collection within 45 minutes or less, while Into the Dark took her 40 minutes!

What about you? Did you manage to complete it quicker than Tang? Let us know!

In conclusion, the Game Design department has continued to work on exciting new adventures for us players to embark on since the release of Revelius, and I’m sure we all can’t wait to see what’s next in our wizarding adventure. That’s it from me today. I hope you guys enjoyed this editions’ Games and Sports article and I hope to see you next time. Make sure to check out the other articles for this edition. Stay safe and have fun guys!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Where to Prepare for a Test at Hogsworth!
Lifestyle
Written by: Carolllyn

Hey, witches and wizards! I’m back with another Lifestyle article! Funnily enough, I’m also returning with yet another school-themed piece. After all, it is back-to-school-season! These are the type of articles that students at Hogsworth need most this time of year. So, of course, I’m here to deliver essential information to the pupils tuning in to this week’s article. Today, I’ll be discussing where exactly the best places in Hogsworth may be to prepare for a test. A lot of us really struggle to find the perfect environment for test preparation. I’ve compiled a list of various possibilities so that any Hogsworth student is able to test the waters of each and find their favorite spot to review class material!

First up, a classic! The Library is definitely the most popular place for the purpose of studying. Though it’s a renowned success site for many students, it’s not a one-size-fits-all space. The quiet, respectful, surrounded-by-wisdom feel might be a scholar’s speed… or might not! It’s a great starting place for someone seeking a test-prep destination!

Next, the Courtyard! Specifically the one outside the Great Hall. It’s a social hotspot, amazing for group studying sessions or the people-loving independent worker. Best part? You can talk, eat, and walk freely, unlike the oppressive, yet focused library. Try it out for it’s open, airy, qualities!

This one is a hidden away jewel in the castle. Not many people know of it, but when they do find their way to this secret space, there’s no going back. Featured in a recent article of mine, Map Secrets!, it’s the Charms Classroom Hidden Lounge. A few-story, quaint, complex only accessible by a teleportation pressure plate. Full of cushiony furniture, a modern twist on the cottage-core aesthetic, and featuring a kitchen, I find this Hogsworth secret a great place to kick back, relax, and get to learning!

Another place I recommend is the Greenhouses! Nature can really bring out the best in us. It just has a unique effect. All around you would be the most beautiful, interesting, and magical plants to keep you company. Plus, the oxygen levels must be tremendous. Imagine the deep-breathing possibilities under the stress of schoolwork. So, literally go back to your roots and grow your knowledge in the zen-inducing botanical gardens of Hogsworth!

To get the best of both worlds of the Courtyard and Greenhouses, check out the Courtyard outside the Hospital Wing! It’s pretty self-explanatory, but, simply put, this area is a haven decorated in plants, yet also including classic cobblestone and rock benches. There’s a lovely fountain situated in the middle of it all, which is extremely calming. It’s a quite small place, but has a lot to offer. Give it a try!

Last, but certainly not least, is a Beach spot on the coast of the castle! Seems oddly specific, right? Yes! I discovered this spot a couple years ago and found myself going back daily. Did I have any business there? No. It’s just the perfect place to catch a break from everyday life. Why would it be good for studying? Well, this one-umbrellaed, one-seated, one-carpeted setup is definitely quite beneficial for an easy going, flowing wizard. Take a dip in the water, study. Sunbathe for an hour, study. There’s just nothing like a time of test preparation paired with an on-campus mini-vacay! Highly recommended!

Well, well, well my readers. This article has come to a close. Hopefully, after reading this guide, you might decide to explore the test preparation location options. And, if you do, be sure to let me know which one(s) you have settled upon by messaging me in-game, sending me a message on Discord, or (my personal favorite method) delivering a book and quill to me in-game. Good luck on any quiz, test, or assessment that comes your way! Thanks for reading and please tune in next time (reading my articles helps with reading comprehension which is essential to test-taking)! This was Carolyn Lestrange reporting for the Daily Diviner!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
What's in My Backpack?
Lifestyle
Written by: Spaghelle

Greetings, my lovely readers, and welcome back to this year’s first Daily Diviner edition of October! As our calendar year is already drawing to a quick close, I can only imagine that most of you players have already begun school again. Witches, wizards, and non-magicals alike, I think that everyone can agree on one thing; we’re all tired of school already. With that in mind, I thought that an attempt to relieve that stress would certainly be in order, so in this week’s Lifestyle column we’ll be playing What’s In My Backpack: Hogsworth Edition!

Now, I’ve heard around that these are supposed to be ‘aesthetic’ and ‘helpful’ for all of you students in the audience, but I decided against that version; we’ll be playing a modified version of What’s In My Backpack? The rules are simple: I pull out anything and everything I touch in my bag, as I feel that’s the most realistic version possible! Let’s jump right in to. . . whatever we may find in there.

The first item I’ve pulled out is a pack of antibacterial wipes! Now, now you may be wondering; antibacterial wipes at a magical school? Well, I pose you the question: have you ever seen this castle being cleaned? As much faith as I have in our school caretaker, I’m afraid that even witches and wizards aren’t immune to disease nor infection and I personally don’t fancy a nasty cold during Halloween season!

Now, this second item I’ve dug out - I must say, it’s a personal favorite of mine. A cheating quill and ink! Of course, for legal reasons I do not endorse nor support cheating at any school, but is it truly cheating if you fail to get caught? Personally, I believe you are just using all of your available resources to perform your best. . . in any case, this specific quill is just so lovely! I don’t mean to go on a torrent about the quality of ink, but I believe we all know about the ones that lose all of their ink after three uses and fall under the desk, never to be seen again. When you buy yourself one that lasts a while and does it’s own work, is it truly a bad thing?

Moving on, I nearly broke the tip of my cheating quill between the knit fabric of my house scarf! That would have been dreadful, but I suppose it’s a decent transition to show my next item. It’s always a great thing to show your house pride around, especially after you’ve just won the quarterly House Cup and want to br- I mean, support your fellow Ravens! Or I suppose Griffins, Badgers, or Serpents, if you’re on their side. Oh, I should really put this scarf somewhere else; is that a banana sticking to it?

I’m going to pretend that I never saw that last visual, and move onto my last and final item! Unfortunately, these bags aren’t very big, so I can only fit a few spare pieces of gold at the bottom. It’s always nice to have some spare spending money, though, even though it’s only 6 pieces - I’m afraid the last of my gold was used on that cheating quill, although there was never that much to begin with anyway. I’ve also found a few assorted items alongside the gold, how exciting! Candy wrappers with unknown dates, a chocolate frog card here and there, a few shattered pieces of glass that were probably once part of an ink vial or two, and what was possibly once a crumpled edition of the Daily Diviner before the ink got to it! Honestly, I wasn’t even aware I had enough bag space for all of this - I can’t wait to play this game at the end of the school year!

Now that we’ve officially reached the bottom of my bag, I implore everyone to check out their backpack once in a while! You never know what things, living or nonliving, could be hiding in the depths of your bag; nine months is an awfully long time, and quite long enough to foster a colony of Murtletts down there. . . or worse. I hope everyone enjoyed venturing into my bag with me, and I can’t wait to see everyone on the next edition of the Daily Diviner! Thank you for reading, and have a lovely week!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Diviners and Dragons
Original Works

Written by: kvmw
Edited by: Kailen
Mira glanced down at the letter in her hand with disapproval. Of all the times a writer would contact her, it would be now? Throughout most of her career, authors had approached her, hoping to accompany her on one of her trips to dragon sanctuaries around the world—after all, dragons made a wonderful story. But Mira had turned them all down. Dragons made a good story because they were dangerous, and she did not want to be liable for a charred limb or two.

Deciding that it wasn’t worth the effort to respond, she tossed the letter into the bin. The owl who had delivered the letter was waiting patiently on her windowsill. “I’m going now,” Mira told the owl. “Make sure you’re well-rested before you fly back.”

The owl replied with a low hoot, and Mira left the apartment with her bags and broom in tow. She didn’t need to bring a lot with her—the Ministry was sending her on a routine check of the sanctuary.

She heard a rustle behind her but didn’t bother to check. A number of magical and non-magical creatures lived near her, and they were constantly running around. Mounting her broom, Mira kicked off into the air and was soon gone from sight.

As Mira landed, the wizard guarding the entrance looked up. His face broke into a grin as she slid off the broom, and he sprang up from the ground to greet her.

“Mira! I have been waiting for you to arrive—it is good to see you! We’ve got a dragon who’s—” Adrien winced as a loud roar cut through the otherwise silent landscape, making the trees around the clearing rustle dangerously. “...Yeah, she’s not—”

A loud shriek interrupted him. From behind Mira tumbled out a young woman, her bright red hair dotted with leaves and small branches. Her glasses were askew, and her eyes widened as the two magizoologists turned to stare at her.

“Aren’t we supposed to not bring outsiders to dragon sanctuaries?”

“I didn’t bring her here, Adrien.” Mira approached the woman, her eyes narrowed. “Why are you here? Why have you followed me?”

The woman sputtered incoherently for a few seconds. Adrien could feel Mira’s impatience rising, and tugged her back. “I’m sorry,” he said, “but you have to leave. We do not allow anyone who is not a dragonologist into dragon sanctuaries.”

“I told her I’d be coming! I sent her a letter this morning!”

Adrien glanced towards Mira. The woman’s response had only increased Mira’s irritation. “And I didn’t credit it, because no one would be so stupid!”

“Excuse me!” the woman replied, clearly affronted. “I got five S.M.U.G’s!”

“As if I care,” Mira scoffed. “I’m the one with a job, something you won’t have when I tell the Ministry that you refused to leave this property.”

The writer looked ready to argue, but another roar stopped her—much like the last one, only it was also accompanied by the shouts of voices. Human voices. Mira’s face turned white, and she glanced at Adrien. “We’ve got to help them. Come on.”

Adrien nodded and waved his wand at the gates. They opened, and the two of them dashed through, the woman close on their heels.

The three of them came to a stop in another clearing—luckily, the dragon was located near the entrance. It towered over the five or so witches and wizards, roaring as wands shot red sparks repeatedly at the dragon.

“Why isn’t it working?” Mira asked.

“I don’t know!” Adrien drew his wand. “We have to—”

The dragon spun around, its nostrils flared, and glared at something behind them. Mira’s eyes widened, and she glanced back to see the woman, who looked terrified.

She knew what was going to happen before it did, and she dove towards the woman, knocking her to the ground as a blast of fire burned the ground, inches from where the writer had been standing moments before.

The magizoologists had taken advantage of the dragon’s momentary distraction and had resumed firing Stunning spells. Gritting her teeth, Mira shouted, “We have to fire at the same time! On the count of three, one, two, three—!”

A volley of Stunning spells hit the dragon, and it fell to the ground without a fight. Mira stood up from the ground and cautiously approached the dragon. It did not stir as she approached, and she announced, “We’re good.”

The other magizoologists nodded, clear signs of relief on their faces. Mira turned towards Adrien. “You look understaffed, even if this dragon sanctuary is rather small.”

Adrien shrugged. “We’ve asked the Ministry for more help, but they haven’t responded.”

Mira frowned. “You can’t be understaffed. That’s dangerous.”

The woman behind them cleared his throat. “I...I’m not supposed to be here.”

“Shocking,” Mira muttered.

“I-I could help!” the woman insisted. “If I write a column in the newspaper, maybe it’ll draw more attention, and the Ministry will have to respond.”

Adrien glanced toward Mira. “It could work.”

“It could,” Mira admitted. “But we’d have to make sure it’s an anonymous source—she’s not supposed to be here.” She glanced at the writer. “What’s your name?”

“Carey,” the writer said.

“Well, Carey.” Mira stuck out a hand. “Look, I’m sorry for snapping at you earlier. If this works out, I’ll be very grateful to you.”

Carey smiled. “Well, I did cause you some amount of trouble.”

Mira raised an eyebrow. “Do you want me to ask for more?”

“I’m good, thanks.” She laughed and turned. “Well, I’d better get going, seeing as I shouldn’t be here at all. It was eventful, if anything. It will make a great story, though…”

As she wandered away, Mira glanced towards Adrien. “Do you think she’ll do it?”

Adrien shrugged. “I don’t see why she wouldn’t.” He tugged on the sleeve of Mira’s robe. “Come on, let’s go. We’ve got a dragon to help.”

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Treasures Within
Original Works
Written by: MamaDuckie
Edited by: PotatoEmma

Enter outsider, but be wary,

For down this hole could be something worse than scary,

Keep your hands and feet inside the ride,

Soon you’ll be where your treasures hide.
Down and down you go,

Where you stop only the goblins know.

Take heed of where you step,

One wrong move and down here you’ll be kept.

After you’ve taken what you need,

Be sure the exit is where you proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.