DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Twin Takeover: War?
Feature
Written by: chail3y and ProbsAMistake
Edited by: MamaDuckie

Hiiya! Welcome to the first-ever twin takeover with me and my lesser sister! As Werewolf Beta, I would like to remind you we won the war, beating the Vampires, and as such are so much better than you could ever be. Let’s continue! Whatever, Callie. Anyway, as I was saying, I am the Vampire Queen Chailey Selwyn, and this is my twin sister Callie Selwyn who is, as she has already said when she rudely interrupted, the werewolf beta. We’ve decided to give insight into our sides of the war and show you exactly how the Werewolves beat the Vampires!

We should probably start with why we went to war in the first place - That is a pretty vital part of the story. Well, I am not sure, dear sister; I wonder how did this start? Well, you see, the werewolves had the last ingredient that could help the vampires (and the werewolves) with a cure. They were keeping it at the ministry and my clan and I decided that was unfair. So apparently the only reasonable response is to break in and steal it. Can you believe they call us the animals? As soon as you catch me barking and howling, I’ll take the animal title. Until then, it’s all yours. Right, so when the criminals took the ingredient from the Ministry, of course, the Werewolves were angry. We called for a meeting and decided to go to war. As you can tell, both sides here have a flair for the dramatic. If I had known about the outcome, I wouldn’t have attended the meeting at all. As we’ve proven, we could have taken it by force. Anyway, that’s when the war began.

Unfortunately, at the beginning of the war, I was off on a trip to try and solve the problem by finding an alternative ingredient. The Werewolf Beta, absent during important matters? My Count was by my side all throughout the war. And yet you still lost. What does that say? Anyway, announcements were shared with the public from the Queen, Count, Alpha and Beta via their forum pages, which I’ve heard are going to be used a lot in the upcoming future. Many battles took place over the course of the week, but in the end, the Werewolves took a victory. Don’t say we didn’t give you a good fight. I will admit it was a tough fight until the end, and the pride from both sides impressed me. But the Werewolves won, as we always do. No surprise there.

With the release of the war, the beautiful Vampire Manor was revealed. By accessing the Roleplay Hub from the Great Hall, you could see the Battle Points for both sides of the war and travel to the Manor. At the base itself, you could find interactions, speak to NPCs, do parkour, and a maze to help the Vampires win the war! Unfortunately, those efforts were futile, and that takes me to the winning base, the Werewolf Cave! The Werewolf Cave also had NPCs, interactions, parkour, and a maze, along with the sweet smell of victory, even from the beginning. The Cave was accessed the same way, through the Roleplay Hub, and is absolutely beautiful!

Now we get into the juicy part, the war itself. Ah yes, my favorite part of the story! The part where we left you guys in the dust! On the first day of the event, Friday, October 23rd, there seemed to be no clear winner. By the end of the night, the Werewolves had pulled ahead, but not by enough points to have a sure victory. The speed for Vampires began to pick up when the new Vampire package was released, and the Werewolves began to drop in numbers, but unfortunately not in points. Even with the loss of a few traitors, we were able to still come out on top, as the next few days proved us to be the winners. Always having to rub it in, they decided to celebrate their victory by storming into the Manor uninvited.

We came to collect the ingredient which we should have gotten in the first meeting, and we could have skipped the part where we wiped the floor with you. We had to put up a fight, but back at the Manor, after declaring their victory, I handed the potion over to Kade. Since my sister was still moody about losing, she decided to pick a fight with me and brutally insult me in front of all the Werewolves and Vampires. To be clear, I was not moody; I was sassy, and I only spoke the truth. You howl at the moon for Pete’s sake. Let’s not forget it was one of your dogs that drank the cure. Ah yes, after the argument between myself and Chailey, a rogue Werewolf stole the cure and drank it in fear of the Vampires stealing it again. With the cure now gone and the full moon fast approaching, I led the pack back to the Cave. With Kade leaving shortly after, Aure and I were left to wonder what comes next. Since the cure is gone and we have no clear direction.

One thing is for sure, I'm glad the war is over and we can finally get some rest. Yeah, and I’d like to thank the readers for putting up with our nonsense for this entire article. I think it’s more your nonsense than mine, but the point is still the same. This has been Callie, and Chailey, thank you for tuning in to the 24th Feature article of the Daily Diviner! Hope you enjoyed it!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
One Imposter Among Us...
Editorial
Written by: Andyreu

Hello witches and wizards, and welcome to the editorial column of the 24th edition of the Daily Diviner! Our Ministry of Magicians is often encouraging the people of the magical world to cooperate for different tasks. Our newest roleplay event, the war between Werewolves and Vampires, mainly relies on players working together to win the war. Specifically, the judicial system of the Ministry of Magicians appreciates the citizens who have uncovered secret criminals within their occupations. This is largely in part due to a recent popular video game outside of Potterworld known as “Among Us”. The basis of the game is that there are 1-3 Imposters amongst workers on a spaceship who must kill the Crewmates without being suspected and voted off. Whether you play most often as a Crewmate or as an Imposter, a few of these simple tips will allow you to cover your tracks and enhance your detective skills.

Imposters always are a step ahead of the Crewmates. With the knowledge of who every imposter and crewmate is, they can easily play the other Crewmates without them treading carefully. However, there are a few things to watch out for as a Crewmate that might change that fact. Watching others as they are doing their tasks will give you a good feel for how long they should spend on one and if they are faking. Sticking close with the group is always a good idea, but don’t grow too trustful. Keep an eye out for which direction people are going in and use context to place some guesses when it comes time to talk with the other players. With these thoughts to keep in mind, you may prevent some of the deaths of your fellow Crewmates.

Crewmates make up the majority of the player base, so Imposters are climbing an uphill battle from the start of the game. Nonetheless, a stealthy and cautious play-style could end up leaving you safe by the end of the game. Always be sure to speak early in meetings and suspect Crewmates while not accusing too many people. Stay near certain players throughout the game as to build up credibility and their trust in you. Be mindful that there are cameras around the ship as well, so be sure not to kill in open sight. Go out there, blend into the crowd in your games and don’t get caught!

This advice can assist you in the variety of situations you may find yourself in during a game of “Among Us”. The game is an excellent bonding experience to build up relationships with friends. I hope all you readers can feel that same thrill from the game that so many have felt this month! This has been Andreu with another edition of the Daily Diviner. Stay safe, everyone!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Potterworld's October Community Engagement Events!
Editorial
Written by: saphirite

Greetings fellow Witches and Wizards, and welcome back to the Daily Diviner and this week’s spooky Editorial Column! In this week’s Editorial issue, we will be covering the recent Community-Engagement events exhibited on Potterworld throughout the month of October. And also interview a fellow Potterworld member who has participated in these events as well to give us insight into them. As we know these events were in fact hosted by the Inquisitorial squad and included a variety of goodies from riddles to foods, and also an exclusive collectible as well. Overall, it was jam-packed with festivities in every aspect, but for now let's take a look into our interview!

The person that I decided to interview in order to give you the best perspective of these Community-Engagement events is no other than Media team member Joshua! Joshua is a very active and contributing Potterworld player who recently attended these events. Let’s look at what he has to say about them!

Any great experiences that you had during the community-engagement event?
Joshua
: Some great experiences I had during this month's community-engagement event were obtaining the different foods they gave out during the event! These were given out as an incentive to find the riddles, and I plan on keeping all of these collectables. Not only did they give collectables for finding the riddles, but a participation collectable as well! If you were unable to locate the riddle, you would still be rewarded. Fortunately, many of the players helped out each other, and so most people were able to claim their prizes!

What was your most favorite thing about the community-engagement event?
Joshua
: My favorite part about this month's community-engagement event was travelling around the world to find the riddles! I was reminded of a few places, and it's a great experience to explore the map. At first, I didn't know the riddles were located at Wizarding Residences, and so I was flying all around the map trying to find the locations. The event allowed me to have fun, and that's one thing I really love about Potterworld!

Would you recommend it to somebody who is potentially looking to attend?
Joshua
: Yes! I would definitely recommend people come to the event. For one, you get an exclusive collectable. To add on to that, the inquisitors plan fun events and I enjoy them. From the ones I've seen so far, they are creative and well-thought out. Many community members attend, and it's a great opportunity to meet new people. Overall, it's a great experience and a way to bring the entire community together!

Thank you, Joshua for these wonderful responses! All in all, the October Community-Engagement events are definitely events that everybody should participate in. They create and embody a perfect example of what the Potterworld community is all about through these events, and the amount of inclusivity they provide in them as well. Anybody looking for a great time to just escape and have some fun should definitely attend sometime soon before the month is up! Not only to have a great time but also to collect some great collectibles as well for personal enjoyment.

And that brings us to the end guys of the Editorial for this week’s issue. I hope you all gained some insight today about the different Community-Engagement events that are taking place all around Potterworld and hopefully attend some as well before the month ends. I would also like to thank Joshua as well for being willing to be interviewed. He did such a wonderful job answering these questions, and I couldn’t be more thankful for agreeing to partake in the interview! With that, I leave you with having a fabulous Halloween and rest of the October month. Make sure you stay safe and keep your distance! Until next time from the Daily Diviner team, thanks for reading.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Werewolf vs. Vampire Roleplay Mini-Games
Games & Sports
Written by: BluePlaidCheese

Hello, and welcome to the Games and Sports column! Before we dig in, I’d like to introduce myself. You may know me as the fairy Shrek that flies around the courtyard on a Thestry mount! Today, I’m honored to share with you all the scoop on the mini-games the new event brings in my first article for the Daily Diviner. As many of you have heard, the Werewolf and Vampire Roleplay Event has arrived! If this is news to you, I highly recommend watching the new video on the Potterworld YouTube! The video tells the backstory of the new allegiance, making the event that much more immersive.

Along with the added lore, by completing either mini-game, you can earn Battle Points for that team. On October 25th, parkour points will double! Followed by maze points on the 27th. By October 30th if the global total of points reach 1000 and 2500, everyone will be rewarded with a special lore collectable. So make sure to attempt these points to contribute to the points of each team! If you’re interested in joining either of the allegiances, they are both available in the store; access it through the game by typing /store in the chat!

One of the key components of the new Roleplay areas are the mazes for each allegiance. They’re both repeatable and with each completion you will earn a Battle Point for the respective team. Graduate, SLGStardust, favors the Werewolf maze explaining, “While the vampire one you can definitely get more lost in, the overall design of the werewolf one was, in my opinion, more creative in its layout.” After completing the mazes a couple times, SLGStardust can finish them in no time! She says, “Once you get the trick to doing mazes you basically have a lot of them pinned down. So I'd say about 3-4 minutes per go around.” The mazes provide an excellent immersive challenge into the world of Werewolves and Vampires, don’t hesitate to try them out. Stardust, along with plenty of other players, are always eager to help if you get stuck!

Going along with the mazes, each new roleplay area comes with its own parkour as well! Just like the mazes, you can earn Battle Points for each time you finish a course. While attempting the Vampire parkour, I caught 7th year, robotabc773 finishing it for a second time! Even though “the vampire one was a little frustrating,” he says. By the time we finished talking, he had completed it for a third time. When asked about a method, he untangles the struggle by saying, “I get momentum for the fourth block, remember that I hit my head on the last jump, and try not to fall into cobwebs.” If you haven’t taken a shot at the courses yet, remember to keep these tips in mind!

If you’re having trouble completing either of the mazes or parkour courses, not to worry, even after the event ends on October 30th, the bases will still be accessible from the roleplay hub! Remember to have fun with each mini-game, don’t stress yourself with that one jump that you just can’t seem to land. Or if you keep finding yourself making circles in a maze - perhaps step away for a minute and start fresh again with a clear headspace! Players who have already completed the mini-games are sure to provide any help if you ask nicely. I’d like to thank SLGStardust and robotabc773 for providing us with insight into the magical world of mini-games in the Werewolf and Vampire universe. Be sure to say hi to them if you see them online! A quick reminder that if you want to get even more involved with the allegiances, both are available in the store for purchase. I’ve enjoyed being here with you today!

‘Till next time, Beca.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Maze Special
Games & Sports
Written by: thatgirlskyyy
Edited by: CelloIsMyLife

Hello Potterworld players and welcome back to another fabulous edition of the Daily Diviner! Today’s issue focuses solely on mazes. Throughout this articIe I will be talking about mazes, interviewing builders, and even making my own maze!

As some of you may know, there are numerous mazes on Potterworld. Each maze varies in difficulty, and the awarded gold reflects this. Although they aren’t required, I still recommend checking them out. They are expertly built and are very challenging. Another set of voluntary mazes can be found in the Guardian Challenge. Now, without further ado, let’s get to know the builders of these terrific mazes!

The two builders I interviewed are JustMaxHell and Arlok_Wyngett, who specialize in building mazes.

What method do you use to build mazes for Potterworld?

Max: When I first joined, I used to do it by hand, create the pattern and then raise it up with a world edit command. Since 2017, I have started using a grid system to make mazes. It allowed me to make bigger paths and add much more details into my mazes, which I enjoy doing more. After having done the grid, I make the path and try to make it more or less difficult depending on what I want or what was asked.

Arlok: I make the mazes in a grid system. First, I like to draw the layout of the maze on a grid-like paper, so that I know where to put everything. Then, I make specific types of corridors of the maze into separate builds. After that, I decorate the builds into their theme. And then I paste those builds into the grid system so that everything connects. The decorating and having everything perfectly connected can be a real challenge. Even I had to do a maze 2x over because something wasn’t lining up the way it was supposed to. That’s why planning is key!

Can you give us some tips and tricks for completing a maze?

Max: Follow the right wall or left wall. I know it’s a classic, but even if a maze is huge, it’ll eventually get you to the end. Most of the time I have tried to make it not work, but it’s tricky.

Arlok: One trick I like to use is that you keep on one side of the maze and follow the left/right wall all the way to the end. If you hit a dead end you just turn and keep walking on the left/right side of the wall. Repeat this until you find the exit. Another tip is, if you think you have been somewhere before, that means you probably haven’t. Just go into the direction your gut feeling is telling you, that usually really helps.

Do you have any advice for someone who wants to make their own maze?

Max: Be patient, it takes a while, especially if you are doing it by hand. Plan ahead, make a minimap of the layout of the maze so you know where you’re going. Pay attention to details if you want a pretty maze. Or just make a hedge maze, it’s as fun for players to get lost in.

Arlok: As I said before, planning is the most important part of building a maze, because if you don’t know where you are going or what you are doing the maze is going to be a mess. It’s also a good idea to use a grid system, so you can keep track of the parts that you have built/pasted and the ones that you haven’t. What I like to do is make it clear to what direction the corridor is going by building the pathway on top of the build so you can only see it when you’re flying above the maze. This helps to keep track of where the path is going and not hitting a dead end unintentionally.

Do you have any final comments?

Max: We are always looking for new themes for mazes (and other maps), don’t hesitate to request them on the forums. We might not build them right away, but it’s always appreciated!

Arlok: Mazes are really fun to build, because it’s a real challenge. You actually have to think carefully about making everything work, and the beautiful thing is, the harder you need to think with designing your maze, the harder the people that actually try to escape the maze need to think. And it’s also really fun to try and escape your own maze!

I would like to give a special thanks to Max and Arlok for their time.

After interviewing these wonderful builders, I became inspired to make my own maze using their advice.. I decided to model my maze after the Unicorn forest. After that, I made a grid out of red wool. The grid came in really handy, helping me plan out the dead ends and corridors. I tried to make the paths the same width to make it even, which was not an easy task. I also put a giant tree in the middle to serve as a landmark since all the paths converged there.

The hardest part of building the maze was decorating it. Those who know me know that I cannot build for my life. My goal was to make the maze as natural-looking as possible, which was hard to do. Eventually, I succeeded in creating a functional, semi-difficult maze that I am pretty proud of. I would have never been able to do it without Max and Arlok’s guidance.

So if you ever get a chance, take a gander at one of the many Potterworld mazes and give them a whirl. Some are difficult, but they give a good amount of gold once you reach the end. Don’t forget to use the tips and tricks Max and Arlok gave in the interview! I hope they will help you as much as they helped me. And if you get the chance, I highly recommend making your own maze. It is a fun challenge that you can be as creative as you want with! You never know- it might become your new hobby! Anywho, I hope you enjoyed this maze special. See you next time!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Your Hidden Personality: What Does Your Favorite Color Mean?
Lifestyle
Written by: Spaghelle

Greetings everyone, and welcome to the first November 2020 edition of the Daily Diviner! In this week’s Lifestyle column, you may discover a hidden truth about yourself and the people around you! We’ve all heard of phenomena that somehow determine our personalities or reveal some deep psychological belief; zodiac signs, spirit animals, Hogsworth Houses… you name it! While oftentimes these methods are all in good fun, there happens to be a real psychological link between the human brain and colors!

This may not come as a surprise for most of you, as we often associate colors with emotions; red is for anger, blue is for sadness, green is for envy, yellow is for happiness. It’s such a common occurrence that we have given it the official name of ‘color psychology’, and it’s a useful marketing technique. However, today we’re going to examine it a bit further and by the end, you’ll know what your favorite color says about your personality! Without further ado, let’s get into it.

If you’re a fan of the color red, go no further; red is the boldest, most argumentative yet passionate color. Think about it; if someone is wearing a red piece of clothing, it usually draws your attention due to the brightness and flare of the color. Red is often associated with anger, but it is also meant to represent bravery, determination, and vigor. Does that remind you of anything? I’ll give you a hint; there’s definitely a reason red is the color of Griffins. If red is your favorite color, you most likely exhibit or value a few of the traits above; you’re also a very adventurous person, and you like to live in the moment instead of dwelling on the past. You’re also a natural leader, and you rarely let anyone cross you - so don’t let the stereotypical notion of bravery meaning arrogance get to you, because there is a lot more to see.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, we have the color blue. If this is your favorite color, you have some distinct contrasts from red; you most likely value close-knit groups or alone time far more than being in the center of the crowd, and you’re very careful with your words and actions. Because of this, people usually see you as trustworthy and dependable, which is by all means true. Blue is the color of peace and harmony, which is a trait exhibited by people who choose this color - you may like to keep things organized so that nothing falls out of balance. While red is the blood that runs through our body, blue is the sky and the ocean we depend on to live. Although, you shouldn’t take their calm demeanor and trustworthy appearance for granted; the oceans can be rough and treacherous for anyone who dare cross them.

Flowing along with the theme of earth and life comes green. You may have already guessed this one, but people who enjoy the color green often are fans of nature and the outdoors; it’s the color of the life that blooms and flourishes all around us. Similar to blue, green is a very calming color, however, while blue is soothing and peaceful, green is deep and prosperous. While you may seek security and validation in other people, don’t take this as a sign of weakness; it’s the color of growth and revival, which often leads to success in later life. You probably live a relatively balanced life: you’re ambitious and oftentimes stubborn with other people, but it balances out well with your peaceful mindset and sense of fairness.

If you’re a fan of yellow, this is the place for you! Yellow is the color of the sun, which brings life to the planet and shines down on us. If this is your favorite color, you’re usually the infectious optimist of the group and you always know how to cheer up someone who’s in a tough situation. While you may not always be the happiest, you definitely know how to turn a situation into an opportunity for growth, and your impulsiveness can often lead to many circumstances like this. Ultimately, you’re a highly unique and shining person who’s very valued by the people around you.

While that’s all the colors we have time for today, I hope you enjoyed reading about the psychology of colors and what it says about you! If your favorite color was on here, let me know what you think; was I right, or was I completely wrong? In the end, this is all in good fun - one size never fits all for personalities, and that’s what makes them so special! Thank you all so much for reading, and I hope you have a lovely week!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Scorpio Season Begins!
Lifestyle
Written by: Carolllyn
Edited by: kvmw

Hello witches and wizards! Welcome back to one of my lifestyle articles. Scorpio season is approaching us: the edgiest time of the year thanks to this sign.

Hold on a second…what even is a zodiac sign? Well, it’s important you learn so, I’ll tell you. Thanks to the stars and astrology, as a result, a zodiac sign(s) is assigned to us at birth and tends to depict our personalities to a T.

Today, I’ll be discussing the most commonly referred to and most easily relatable sun sign (a sun sign is what you’ve probably heard under the general term of “zodiac sign”. It is determined based on the sun’s position at one’s birth.). Let me give you some background information on the sign of Scorpio: the dates that grant people to be born under this sign ranges from October 23rd to November 21st; its symbol is, of course, the scorpion; its element is water; its ruling planets are Mars and Pluto, and it lives in the eighth house. If you want to learn more about this mysteriously dark sign, keep reading!

Let’s talk about the positive characteristics of a Scorpio! Their predominant traits are their determination and persistence as well as passion and strategy.

Now, the negative traits regarding Scorpios: they, in some cases, can be jealous, cunning, manipulative, and revengeful. Though these are said to be bad traits, any of these can come in handy in their own way!

What does a typical Scorpio look like, you may ask? They have very dark hair to match their persona and dark almond eyes to match. A sharp, strong, jawline and chin are also key parts of a scorpion’s physical appearance. Their noses are pointy and hook-like.

Compatibility! Friendships and romances are guided by the zodiac energies and Scorpio relationships are no exception. The most compatible signs with the Scorpio are Cancer, Virgo, Capricorn, and Pisces. The least compatible are Leo (ME!) and Aquarius. Water signs like itself, earth signs, and air signs are best matched with Scorpios while fire signs are usually not. This is because water and fire oppose each other too much for a successful relationship to spark.

Alright, readers! This article is coming to a close. I hope you all enjoyed this article and head into this season with a greater knowledge of the Scorpio sign. If you enjoyed, learned anything new, or relate to this article please send me a book and quill via the Owlery in-game, message me in-game, or even direct-message me on Discord. I love hearing from you guys! This was Carolyn Lestrange reporting for The Daily Diviner!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Searching for Answers
Original Works
Written by: Bertnana and CelloIsMyLife

“What do you mean it’s inaccurate?” A young man, roughly in his early 30’s, half-shouted over the normal chatter in The Broomsticks Inn.

“I already told you Jonathan, the information you have on unmagicals is far from reality. I’m not publishing your book until you fix it.” The much calmer woman spoke as she flipped through some parchments and slid a roughly made example of a book across the wooden table towards Jonathan.

Frustrated, Jonathan sighed and took the book to tuck back into his robes. “I’ve read through all the books on unmagicals I could find. If you know so much about them, why don’t you help me fix this, Sondra?”

The woman calmly sipped her Butterbrew, leaning back with a sigh of her own. “You know I have more meetings to attend, Mr. Young. How about this? I’ll send you my laptop and you can see firsthand some of the things unmagicals do. Expect an owl soon.” With that, Sondra Kim left Jonathan Young to ponder what this “laptop” thing was.

To Jonathan’s surprise, an owl arrived early the next morning carrying a thin metallic looking object he assumed to be the laptop Sondra spoke of. He took it inside to inspect with his morning tea. There was a large symbol of a half-eaten apple on the outside which perplexed him. “Do I need to use an apple on this thing?” he wondered. Surely a piece of metal such as this wouldn’t require him to eat an apple before using it, but he tried anyway.

Now having had his tea and an apple, Jonathan prodded around the laptop until he opened it up and found a parchment with notes sitting on top of the keyboard along with sticky notes pointing out some specific areas on the laptop itself. He read over Sondra’s instructions and pushed the button she had labeled as the power button. Soon, he watched in amazement as the screen lit up and a loading bar appeared. Jonathan was almost like an unmagical child watching a magic show for the first time as he followed the instructions to log in and opened up a web browser.

Sondra hadn’t given him much instruction on where to look past opening a browser and what buttons did what on a keyboard, so he was on his own to explore the internet. Jonathan spent hours upon hours going deep into different websites and trying to search up his questions to no avail. As the sun was finally setting, he stumbled upon a website with a strange red and white robot avatar greeting him. He stayed awake late that night to explore this new website, and it paid off. He stumbled upon an area within called “r/askreddit” where he found users asking questions to what seemed to be other people.

Jonathan quickly signed up for his own account after taking another few hours to figure out how to make an email and made his very first post.

Posted by u/jyoung514 1 minute ago
Hello r/askreddit people, I have some questions I need answered immediately. What games and sports do you have? What is a “reality tv” show and why do people like this? What do you learn in school? Do the subjects have any risks to your health, like injuries or death? Please answer if you can. This is urgent!

While he hadn’t learned to format, or figured out if what he was doing would even work, Jonathan was proud of himself and finally went to bed. It was late into the morning that next day when he had another apple with his tea and checked back upon his post. He was shocked to find that there were hundreds of comments on his post.

Looking deeper, he read through every single one and found that there was a conversation of sorts going on with people wondering if Jonathan was real or if he was trolling them. Still, a few people assumed he was from a very rural area and just got internet for the first time and humored his questions. These people, of course, were not correct, but Jonathan was excited to get the answers nonetheless. He quickly pulled out his quill and wrote down everything, ready to ask further questions as soon as he figured out how to reply to those comments.

-----

“Congratulations on your book being published!” Sondra’s cup clanked against Jonathan’s in celebration as they once again shared a toast in the Broomstick Inn. “I’m impressed with how much you were able to find out using my laptop and then work that into your book. Good job.” She beamed at him with a small chuckle as he downed the butterbrew in celebration.

“I couldn’t have done it without your help, but I must ask something, Sondra.”

“Yes?”

“How can you not get sick of eating apples every time you use that thing?”

Sondra couldn’t contain her laughter as she soon realized what Jonathan must have been doing every time he opened up the laptop. “It’s a logo, Jonathan, you don’t need to eat an apple to make it work!”

He rather quickly got red-faced as Sondra took out the laptop and powered it on, of course without eating an apple first. She giggled to herself as Jonathan groaned and waved over the waiter. “I need another butterbrew…”

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Chocolate from Home
Original Works
Written by: Silquer
Edited by: kvmw

The bell rang; a loud, deep call that echoed through the halls relentlessly, telling each student it was time to move on to their next class. It still startled Lin, even a month after school had started, and Hogsworth had opened its iron-clad gates. In fact, she hadn’t gotten used to anything at all.

It was as Lin, walking through the cold halls and crowded staircases, thought this. Her homesickness hit her like a swinging Wicked Willow branch, and she made a spontaneous decision: she was going to skip class.

Lin took an abrupt turn and sped through the hallways with a single destination in mind: the owlery. The tall tower was only a few halls, staircases, and a bridge away, and once there, she could send a letter to her mom. Lin smiled as she stepped out into the courtyard and breathed in the fresh air. Yes, that would make her feel better.

She started across the clearing, passing the stone fountain in a hurry. Just as she reached the end of the clearing, the late bell rang, a sharp accompaniment to the first chime. Suddenly, the excitement whooshed out of her, and she came to a stop. A cool breeze washed over her, and she shivered, the sun clouded by a heavy cloak of grey.

She sighed. What was the point? She didn’t have a letter prepared, and she wouldn’t get any reply from her mother for several days. A final gust blew across her face, and Lin turned around and went back to her class in defeat.

After an embarrassingly late entrance to class, the next two classes passed uneventfully. Two bell-rings later, Lin was heading down to the Great Hall for her lunch break when a sudden idea hit her, like the Wicked Willow had come back around for a second brutal strike. She stopped in the hallway and thought through her plan. It was deceptively simple: sneak down to the kitchens, borrow a few ingredients, and make her mom’s famous homemade cookies during her break. It seemed the perfect way to ease her hunger for home.

Invigorated once more, she started down the hall she knew would lead her to the kitchens. She flew down stair after stair, knowing she couldn’t spare a moment, until she stopped, recovering her breath, in the empty, cavernous hall that was the kitchens. She stood quietly and looked around; there was neither a witch nor a wizard to be seen. She sighed in relief and got to work. She poked around the shelves, keeping a mental checklist of the recipe her mother had shown her a hundred times.

Just as she reached up a high shelf on the tips of her toes, she heard the patter of small feet behind her and a sharp gasp of surprise. Lin, startled by the sound, lost her grip on the shelf and fell to the stone floor with a yelp.

“What are you doing down here?” a small house elf asked, ancient hands on his hips and wispy hair all a-frizzle. When Lin stared at him with no answer, he huffed and continued, “No students allowed in the kitchens. Get out!” With frantic urgency, Lin stood from her position on the floor and hurried up the stairs and out of the kitchens.

The rest of the day passed in quiet misery as Lin went from class to class, barely paying attention to the lessons. That night, she retired to bed early, not having the energy to talk to her friends or entertain what seemed like frivolous conversation.

The next morning Lin woke with the same deep longing for home, and it was with great effort that she changed into her school robes, made her bed, and left the Honeybadger common room for breakfast. Up the stairs she went until she reached the Great Hall, which was filled with students both sleepy and awake. A quiet chatter echoed through on the high ceiling and reached Lin’s unresponsive ears, and she sat down at the far side of one of the tables with a sigh.

Suddenly, the familiar sound of squawking and fluttering of owls was heard, and everyone in the room quieted as they focused on the promise of mail. It was as Lin sulked that a barn owl flapped its way over to her end of the table and dropped a large square package on the plate of an unsuspecting Lin. She jumped in surprise and stared at the new arrival on her plate. Upon closer inspection, she could see the words “For Lin” in the flowing handwriting that belonged to her mom.

With a new excitement in her, she tore the paper open and smiled in happy surprise. Inside the package was a small sheet of paper with a note from her mom, and beside it, a chunk of homemade chocolate made in the shape of a heart. Lin scanned the letter before she opened the chocolate and savored the sweet smell of home. It seemed home wasn’t so far away after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.