DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Exciting Head Staff Addition
Feature
Written by: Silquer
Edited by: MamaDuckie

Hello lovely readers, and welcome to the twenty-fifth issue of the Daily Diviner! As November moves slowly along and the season of fall officially starts up, it’s time to look back and celebrate some wonderful additions to Potterworld’s Head Staff! One of these new staff members is Zach, who was welcomed this past October as the new Assistant to Head of Academics! In honor of his appointment, I had the great pleasure of interviewing him on his new position and priorities. Here are his wonderful responses!

What do you enjoy most about being Assistant to Head of Academics?

Zach: The thing I enjoy most about being Assistant to Head of Academics is the team I get to work with. The people on the Academics team and in the staff team are really great, and they're so much fun to work with! Each of them puts their all into everything they do, and I'm always amazed by what they're able to accomplish. I'm super proud of all of their hard work.

What is your most important goal in your new position?

Zach: My most important goal is to make sure that everyone is happy, including staff and players. I want everyone to be able to approach me and give me feedback on how to improve, and I want to make sure that I create the best environment possible here on Potterworld.

How long have you been on the Academics and staff team?

Zach: Staff since October 8, 2018 (just over 25 months); Academics since January 14, 2019 (22 months).

What’s your favorite class and why?

Zach: My favorite class is History of Magic. This is because there are so many different topics you can explore, and learning about all of the stories of our magical world is very exciting.

What made you want to join academics?

Zach: I wanted to join Academics because I always liked going to classes and participating in them. I really wanted to be a part of the behind-the-scenes aspect of classes, and I wanted to get more involved in them!

If you could offer any advice or words of support to present and future academics applicants, what would you say?

Zach: I would say that the most important thing is being yourself and being honest. Honesty is very important to becoming a staff member, since we all need to be able to trust each other. When it comes to filling out your application and/or being interviewed, being yourself and being honest with everyone is the best way to make sure we know who you are, and we can pick the best applicants possible.

Thank you, Zach, for the outstanding answers! I’m very excited to see what he’ll do next in his new position, and I know he’ll continue to help Potterworld and its players in any way he can. That concludes this article. I hope you have a greater understanding of our new Assistant to Head of Academics! Let’s all wish him well on his new journey!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Spooky Scary Halloween
Editorial
Written by: Melioraa

Greetings witches and wizards, and welcome back to the editorial column of the Daily Diviner. My name is Rani and in today’s article, we’ll be looking into my opinion of this year’s Halloween event! After the long wait throughout October, the newly introduced Magiventologist team has finally released their first official event, and one definitely could call it spooky! We’ll be looking into my first experience with the event, my experiences with the quests, and my opinion on the event. If we’re all ready, let’s get into this!

My adventure with the event originally began during the Potterwatch Hangout stream on the 31st of October, the same day it released. Together with Gabe, Mckenzie, Allan, Sunnya, and Joshua, we made our way to Haunted Hollow via the NPC at the Great Hall. Admiring the build and then continuing on, we took turns in reading the dialog for the first quest and had some interesting conversations, including one about what the future had in store for those in the stream. To say the least, someone was kidnapped by aliens.

Originally, the area seemed quite large, and I was a bit confused by it all, but thanks to the amazing players who joined us, it wasn’t so bad. Before long, I grew to have an idea where everything was, and that helped in completing the quests later on. I struggled a bit with the Murder Mystery quest, especially when we had to figure out who the killer was. Despite that, this quest itself was very well made, and I really enjoyed figuring out who the killer was!

After the stream, I took a small break from the event before picking it again a few hours later. I finally figured out the Murder Mystery quest and spent a little bit trying to do the parkour. The slime block jump there was extremely difficult, and it came down to luck for me, but I completed it, then moved on to the other quests afterward. All of them had an extremely unique but also interesting storyline behind them, and it was cool to see what kind of twists and turns they would take. Together with fellow staff member and friend, Coobtoob or Cate, we also spent a bit of time roaming around the area & gathering candies. I also forced Cate to complete one of the quests with me since she hadn’t started the event, and we both had fun doing so.

Overall, my experiences with the event have been good. Although some of the quests could do without so many mazes and parkours, or maybe just even turning down the difficulty I think would make them just a little bit better. As for the collectibles available, there’s a range of new scarves to collect and even some plushies! My favourite has got to be the Bat Bag though, it’s just so cute!

With that, we’ve now reached the end of today’s article. I would just like to take a moment to give a huge thank you and congratulations to the members of the Magiventologist team for their work on this event. Without them, it wouldn’t have been possible. Since the event won’t be around forever, I’d recommend checking out the event as soon as possible just so you don’t miss anything, and for those who missed the Hangout stream and would like to check it out, it’s now available on our YouTube channel! Thanks for reading and make sure to check out the other editorial article available in this edition. See you next time!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Potterworld Merch
Editorial
Written by: chail3y

Welcome back to the Daily Diviner! My name is Chailey and in this edition of the editorial column, I will address the hot new topic of Potterworld Merch. On October 28th, an announcement was made in the Potterworld discord with a google form asking to get opinions on what people want to see with Potterworld Merch! In this article, I will go over some opinions on this new idea!

When this was first announced, the community got very excited. After the initial excitement wore off, most people’s next thought was, but what will they sell? This is why they released a Google form. The form consists of 3 questions: If PotterworldMC produced a NON-gaming hoodie/shirt, with a simplistic look, would you be interested in purchasing one? If PotterworldMC produced a gaming jersey/shirt/hoodie that was in the Potterworld style, would you be interested in purchasing one? And Are there any other forms of merchandise you would like us to sell? E.g. key chains, notebooks, stickers, toys, etc. If you have not yet filled out the form, I recommend you go do so. We would like to know the players’ preferences!

Overall, I think this could be a really awesome step for the server. Merch is something that can really help the server grow. I have heard some mixed opinions and therefore I have weighed some of the pros and cons. I think that first, the player base would love to have a way to show off the server. I know I would totally rock a Potterworld sticker on my laptop or wear a cute Potterworld hoodie. As I already explained, I also think this is a good way for us to show our support for the server outside of the store. This could be a great opportunity, and most people recognize that. However, it also is a risk from a business standpoint. This is why they are trying to collect information on if people will actually buy the merch. Two things that I suggested on the form that I hope to see are stickers and plushies!

I did some of my own research for this article and I interviewed 1psaonly, Magicath_, and filletonpoint! I found all of their answers very interesting and I think they made some great suggestions.

1. What is your opinion on the idea of Potterworld Merch?

1psaonly - I think that it's a good idea, and that it would be a super duper great way to express our love for Potterworld and support the server outside of the in game shop! Plus, it would make good advertising too, which will help many others find the server and enjoy this great community!

Magicath_ - I'm supercalifragilisticexpialidociously excited for Potterworld Merch! Finally, I can show my love for this nerdy server in the real world. I've seen some of the designs and they look soooo cool. I'm really excited for all the possibilities.

filletonpoint - I absolutely love the idea! The server itself has such a wonderful sense of community, and with a humoring spin on its lore I think many people would be excited to rep their houses/the server in general!

2. If/when the Merch is released, do you think you would get something?

1psaonly - I would have to see how much it costs first, and if my parents will allow me to! I think it would be pretty cool to have a way to do store trades for the merch too, without giving out your address, since store trades are a big part of the community!

Magicath_ - I do think I would get something! I'm not sure I would get anything that was really obviously a Minecraft shirt, maybe something a little more subtle like Potterworld clothing but only with the PWMC logo.

filletonpoint - I know for sure that I would; even despite me being new (2 days and counting-) I already feel so at home and welcomed that I would love to support the server in that manner.

3. Do you have any ideas for merch aside from shirts?

1psaonly - I think that plushies would be a great idea! Perhaps like the current plushy collectables we have right now, but also things like the lunarcalf plushy, niffly plushies, etc etc!

Magicath_ - Yes! Sweatpants, socks, water bottles, hats, phone cases. There are so many ways merch can be produced, and with such wonderful artists in the Media department I think any of these options could turn out beautifully.

filletonpoint - Clothing-wise, personally I am a hoodie fiend, so i'd love to see some of those as well as possibly sweaters, hats (beanies/caps), and/or socks! Otherwise, I'd think it'd be really cool to have possibly cups/thermoses, rings, bracelets, necklaces, notebooks, or even pillows/blankets repping either PW or the different houses!

Besides the interviews, I also did a poll to get some opinions on what they are most excited to see for Merch! The answers were very similar across the board! Every single person said that they were hoping for plushies! Then, the majority followed plushies with hoodies, stickers, notebooks, and sweatpants.

Everyone is really excited to hear updates on what the head staff do next with Potterworld Merch. Overall, it is getting very positive feedback. I can’t wait to see what this may bring for the server. I would like to thank 1psaonly, magicath_, and filletonpoint for their insight. I hope you all have a great day and tune into the rest of the issue!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Ghoulish Games
Games and Sports

Written by: CelloIsMyLife
Edited by: kvmw

Hello readers and welcome to the Daily Diviner! My name is Althea, and today, I will be telling you guys about a recent Halloween event! On Halloween, a new event warp called the Haunted Hollow was released. Inside this area, players can participate in quests as well as two minigames; a spooky maze and ghostly parkour! In this article, I will go over details from both minigames, as well as interview two players, Elfe Beef and Chance Crestello, about their experiences playing these games.

Before I get into the maze and parkour specifics, let’s go over what exactly the Haunted Hollow is. This spooky area can be accessed through an NPC at the teacher’s table in the Great Hall. Once there, you can explore the spooky town and complete quests for people in exchange for Boo Bucks! This special currency can be exchanged in the market with ghosts for a long list of different items. You can buy collectibles, magic items, scarves, gold, and more! These aren’t the only things to do in the Haunted Hollow, though!

The Haunted Hollow also has two minigames you can explore! The first minigame I will go over is the Mansion Maze. To get here, simply find the ghost in the middle of town and warp there. Once inside, you will be met with fancy halls that definitely give you the feeling that you are in a real mansion. Each corridor is wide open and decorated with golden lamps, chandeliers, and live plants. The maze does not take too long to complete, and I would say the difficulty was of an intermediate level. If you find yourself struggling with mazes, I suggest checking out the last edition’s Games and Sports article that is all about mazes. However, due to the fairly easy nature of the maze, the reward is only 6 Boo Bucks.

Next up is the Halloween Town Parkour. This game’s scenery varied greatly, starting you outside one of the town’s houses and leading you through a tunnel before coming out into a whole new town. There is a lot more to see in this game, but make sure you don’t get distracted and miss your jump! The parkour, while being a bit more difficult to complete, I would say is still around an intermediate level. The payout for this fun game is 12 Boo Bucks.

While I was able to complete the maze, I am not good at parkour and never got to finish it. Instead, I asked two wonderful people, Elfe Beef and Chance Crestello about their experiences with the games. Here is what they had to say!

Question 1: What do you think about the Halloween parkour and maze?

Elfe: “The maze was miserable and dreary, and also quite dark. It was really hard to see anything in the darker parts, even with brightness all the way up. It was only through sheer luck, my friend River_Beef who kept me sane, and the chocolate pudding I was eating that we managed to make it out alive. On the contrary, the parkour was extremely fun (to watch River fall, of course).”

Chance: “I love it! It’s definitely a lot of fun.”

Question 2: Did you complete both the games?

Elfe: “I did complete both games.”

Chance: “I couldn’t complete the maze because I have no patience or sense of direction, but I've done the parkour at least half a million times.”

Question 3: How difficult were they?

Elfe: “The maze was pretty difficult, and I don't think I could complete it again. My friend and I found the exit randomly, and we sure won't be coming back. The parkour was mediocre but also difficult for the average player. I think it could use a little more variety than the constant 3 across up 1 jumps, but it was decent.”

Chance: “The parkour was easy for me, but sadly I couldn’t complete the maze.”

Question 4: What was your favorite part about the games?

Elfe: “My favorite part about the maze was experiencing it with my friend. We are very, very, very bad at mazes. It was also very, very, very dark in the maze. His Minecraft skin is also very dark. Needless to say, you can probably predict what happened. Seeing people fall in the parkour was probably my favorite part.”

Chance: “My favorite part was that it was short and sweet and gave us an escape from the spooky Halloween quests.”

Question 5: Which one of the games did you prefer?

Elfe: “I don't really prefer one game over the other, but if I were to choose one to grind, I would do the parkour.”

Chance: “I personally preferred the parkour (I prefer parkour in general) but the maze is also really cool! I love the detail it has.”

Question 6: What would you want to see the same or different in future holiday games?

Elfe: “I'd like to see higher difficulty but higher reward games in the future. While the games are fun for the first time, it gets boring once the mazes are memorized and people get used to all the parkour jumps.”

Chance: “I’d definitely want to see something similar in future holiday games!”

I would like to thank Elfe and Chance for allowing me to interview them for this spooky Daily Diviner article! The Haunted Hallow is open until December 2nd, so make sure you check it out and try out these awesome games. Even if parkour and mazes aren’t your thing, there is plenty to explore all around the Haunted Hollow. Make sure you don’t miss it, the collectibles and items offered are one of a kind. Happy holidays everyone, and stay safe!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Finding Your Gear Build
Games and Sports
Written by: Andyreu
Edited by: CelloIsMyLife

Hello and welcome to the second Games & Sports article of the 25th edition of the Daily Diviner! Gear is one of the most complicated systems of Potterworld that the Unspeakables have created. It can currently be obtained in-game by first getting gear recipes and then trading in gold and materials to a tailor. You can find these recipes by killing mobs or by buying them from other players off the marketplace. Afterwards, you can trade gold and materials to the Tailor to have your gear crafted. There are many combinations of gear pieces that can make you unstoppable due to the hundreds of recipes available. Sametric (Sam) and OiSushi (Sushi_Delvaux) are two players who have spent lots of time since the Revelius update studying and analyzing gear. They have joined us today to tell us a little bit about what they have learned.

What is your current gear build and what spell category do you mainly focus on?

Sam: My current gear build is tank-like with high jinx damage and a focus on health.

Sushi: My gear build is a glass cannon. I have over 2k damage in charms, jinx and curses, but I mainly use charms and jinx and only one curse spell. I only have 8232 health, so I sacrificed quite a bit for that damage.

Where should you start when picking out your gear and finding out what build works for you?

Sam: When creating a build, you should first pick out what type of build you want. This normally starts with what type of damage you’d like, if you want to heal, or do a bit of both. From there, you normally pick a hand gear piece and then work off of it to calculate stats that work well to get the most damage possible while also staying balanced.

Sushi: When picking out gear, I'd say you have to find what spells you like and focus on one spell category. If you like Conflamorus, then go with curses. Focusing on one type works best so the gear doesn't cancel each other out in terms of cast time or cooldowns. Picking out a build always has some trial and error in it, so you can figure out what works well for you in the process of doing what I have mentioned.

Which stats are most important to enhance for specific play styles (range, radius, cast time, cooldowns, etc)?

Sam: Each style really revolves around a certain type of build, which relies on multiple different stats. For example, Transfiguration cooldown reductions won't help for a Curse Main. At the end of the day, you really have to look at what would benefit you the most. I personally like having a lower defensive cooldown so that I can use Fortifus and counter more often. But again, it really comes down to your build, preference and spell choice. That will dictate what stats you use to enhance your playstyle.

Sushi: Having a low defense cooldown gives you a big advantage regardless of what play style you're going for because Fortifius and all the counters will have lower cooldowns. A low cooldown for the spell category that you main is also good because then you can spam your spells as frequently as possible.

Personally, I am a level 80 curse damage main. Based on my experience, the most relevant gear pieces for damage are the Chestplate of Heroes, Wraith’s Handwraps, Boots of Infinite Fortune, Amulet of Ancestral Greed, and Gauntlet of the Deadly Kiss. These are mostly helpful if you are interested in focusing on charms, jinx, or curse damage, which are the main spells that I find myself using in a duel. There are many complex factors that play into what make gear good, but learning the ropes has been very enjoyable for me.

Thank you to the both of them for giving us their input! For many duelists, the gear system has taken a while to learn about and master. With so many unique play styles you can choose from, every gear build is bound to create a different experience. Hopefully, the answers that our interviewees have given today will give you inspiration on how to go about picking your gear. Maybe after this article, I’ll see some of you make your way into the gear market or into dueling! This has been Andreu with another edition of the Daily Diviner. Stay safe everyone!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
National Clean Out Your Fridge Day!
Lifestyle
Written by: Carolllyn
Edited by: kvmw

Hello witches and wizards and welcome back to another Lifestyle article! November 15th is coming up, and you know what that means (or maybe you don’t)... National Clean Out Your Fridge Day! I figured that because of the important date coming up, I’d instruct you guys on how to do it right. With many of our refrigerators filled with a numerous amount of wanted and unwanted items, it can be hard to navigate our way through the chaos. Most of us don’t even bother getting a handle on the tedious situation. How does one clean out their fridge (and maybe do something with the remnants afterward), keeping their cold pantry in the utmost care? I’ll tell you! Keep reading for a thorough instruction of what to do when the time comes.

First of all, what do you like to eat? Right now. This very moment in time. Our tastes change. I’m sure you don’t have the same liking for some of the foods you used to stock up on months ago. Think it over. Take a look in that fridge. What no longer speaks to you? What do you no longer crave or feel the need to consume? If you’re catching my vibe, then you already know what you must do: remove these items from the fridge.

Next, check expiration dates. No matter how you feel about this food, anything expired must be said goodbye to. Why? Well, there’s an expiration date for a reason. This date tells us it's time to be eaten is no longer upon us. It’s too late. Yeah, it can be sad. Maybe you didn’t even get to eat it. Maybe you saved it for a later date. Still, it is no longer applicable in any circumstance. If the food is expired, it means it must retire from its no-longer-rightful place on the refrigerator shelf… unless you like the taste of mold and chunky milk (hope I’m not the only one).

Alright. You might need to cast Lumen for this. Now, you must dig all the way to the depths of your fridge. Check the very back. That’s where all the hidden items escape your grasp every other day of the year besides this one. You probably forgot about them. Today is the day to remember the forgotten foods. They might have been able to avoid this for a long time, but today is their day of judgment. Should they stay or should they go? Your call, wizard.

So, you’ve cleaned out your fridge. Think it’s the end of the article, huh? No. I know it’s simply National Clean Out Your Fridge Day, but now what? What is there to do with everything that’s been newly removed from the fridge? Excellent question. We all ponder this. If you think you know how to go on after cleaning out your fridge by throwing the scraps in the trash, you’re severely wrong. What a waste! And, I’m disappointed in you. Instead of taking that ugly route, I’m here to give you some options:

My first option is to make a potion. What kind of potion? If you go to the Hogsworth library (and wear a mask if you do so), you will find a copious number of potion recipes! See what ingredients you have and start brewing. My second option is to pull a prank. A homemade prank. Not one of those silly, expensive, cliché ones. Be original. Take a good look at your ingredients and see where your clever creativity takes you! My third option is donating. That’s a very sweet gesture! Your trash could be someone else’s treasure. Be careful, though. Only donate foods that are fresh and have not passed their expiration date. My fourth option would be to take a stab at a composting hobby. If you love caring for the environment, this one’s for you. Head out to the Wilderness, pick up a few worms, and you’re ready to begin saving the earth!

I hope each and every one of you gained some insight on how to properly invest your time on this very special date. It’s your duty to clean your fridge and if you were at a loss of how to do so, I’m sure you’ve been inspired! I’d love to know how your refrigerator-cleaning experience went. Let me know by sending me a message in-game, sending me a book and quill in-game, or even sending me a direct message on Discord! This was Carolyn Lestrange reporting for the Daily Diviner!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Wizardly Writing
Lifestyle
Written by: Becaologies

Hello, and welcome back to the Lifestyle column! If you’re ever looking to rack up some Academic Credits and contribute a few House Points, look no further! Attending and scoring an O+ in a Creative Writing class is a sure fire way to do so. Not sure how? Keep reading for some useful tips from some of our own Creative Writing professors. When you see that “Click Here” broadcast in chat for class, make sure not to miss it!

Potterworld’s Creative Writing classes provide an excellent outlet for players to express their imaginative side. Professors will either hand out a pre-written prompt or give players a book and quill to take notes on a lesson they will teach. Prompts vary from adventurous fiction tales, to historical lore scenarios. After taking sufficient notes or reading the story, professors then hand out the assignment book. The assignment book usually contains a few different options for students to choose from. One is a more creative option where players get to write themselves or their friends into the situation, and get to add their own twists on the story. The other option being a guide, opinion, or informative stance on the topic - both equally as interesting! Students then turn in their finished assignment and wait patiently to be graded. They are then sent off back to school with Academic Credits corresponding with their grade!

Going into more depth on the grading scale, after students have had their assignments graded, they will get back their book. When you hover over your graded book it will tell you your grade. The scale reads O, A, E, P, D T, with O being the highest. Additionally, just like in real school, students can receive scores with +’s and -’s. Scoring an O+ will award you with additional House Points for your respective houses in a special broadcast after class!

If you’re someone who struggles with trying to achieve that O+, Professor McKenzie has graciously agreed to provide some tips on how to bump up your scores! “For me personally, I'm all about the creativity, as it is Creative Writing, after all! It's not necessarily about the dialogue or character count within the assignments. I just enjoy a good story. If you can tell a concise story that is fluid from beginning to end, you're doing pretty well in my eyes. Following the prompt is also important. Anyone can write a long story on something, but staying on topic and still being able to express your ideas and creativity is what I really love to see.” Frequent Creative Writing class attendee, Enzologies, also met with me and said, “Follow the prompt but put your own spin to stand out from other assignments.” Keep these tips in mind when in your next Creative Writing class!

As mentioned before, after receiving all your information on the topic, you receive a prompt with generally two different writing style options. If you’re the type of writer who struggles with coming up with imaginative scenarios for your stories, there’s always the choice to write an opinion piece. I also had the opportunity to speak with Professor Morgan about how both types are equally as important. She says, “I don’t believe choosing a certain option will result in a better grade. Instead I believe it is dependent on the effort, creativity, and details the student puts into their assignment. For instance, I’m equally amazed by how some students excel at writing creatively, while others have the ability to command facts and information from the lesson to solidify their ideas. Overall, I love reading my student’s assignments regardless of how they approached the prompts.” So don’t get discouraged if the creative aspect of the class makes you a bit nervous!

Alternatives are provided that fit your writing style so you can have fun, and still score an O+! That being said, it’s pretty rare to get perfect scores straight out the bat. Morgan adds, “I really like to see when the student understands the lesson, so adding in details from the notes really shows that! I also like to be surprised when reading an assignment. Perhaps try to do something unexpected in your writing, maybe have a double meaning, a cliffhanger, a sob story, or something mysterious happens! Some of my favorite assignments come from students who really made me pause or even made me tear up a bit. I believe if you want to improve your assignments you should be looking at different ways to look at the prompt.” Don’t be afraid to switch things up and try handling the prompt with alternate methods!

All in all, the Professors at Hogsworth are all super kind and love to read your work no matter how you write it. As long as you give it your all and make the prompt your own, there’s no doubt you’ll excel in Creative Writing classes. A huge thank you to Professor McKenzie, Professor Morgan, and Enzologies for their helpful tricks and input today. Make sure to say hi if you see them online!

Hope these tips helped you out! See you next time!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
The Queasy Quabbleball Match
Original Works
Written by: thatgirlskyyy

Gabriella had the quabble moments after it was thrown onto the field. As the star Griffin passer, this was expected. Today, however, they were playing against their biggest rival: the Serpents.

As Gabriella made her way across the field, she looked over her shoulder. Two Serpent passers were closing in on her. She took a deep breath and refocused, preparing to take a big risk. She waited until they were a few inches behind her then signaled to the other Griffin passer, who had been waiting across the field. The other passer signaled back to her, ready to receive the ball. Gabriella held on tight to her broom and stopped mid-air. The Serpent passers kept flying at lightning speed, not noticing she had left their side. After a moment, they looked back and watched helplessly as she threw the quabble across the field. The passer chucked the quabble past the bewildered Serpent defender and into the left hoop.

“What an outstanding play!” The announcer screamed into the microphone over the sound of cheers. “Ten points to Griffins!” Gabriella looked to her teammates and celebrated a momentary victory before another quabble was tossed into the field. Gabriella saw this and flew towards it. As she flew, she saw something in her peripheral vision. To her left, a formation of Serpent passers were making their way towards her in a V shape. She continued towards the quabble and checked back to make sure the Serpents were still there. As she made eye contact with the passer in the front of the V, the three dispersed. She saw one come up from below and fly directly in front of her, stopping mid-air to block her path. She quickly swerved to the left to dodge him. She refocused and saw that she was closing in on the ball. Just as she was about to reach out to catch the quabble, a shadow appeared. Looking up, Gabriella saw yet another Serpent passer making their way towards her. What made it even worse was that she heard the bruisers calling out to each other, getting ready to hit a bludgeon ball at her. Thinking fast, Gabriella backed up and allowed the Serpent passer to catch the ball. As he flew towards the goalpost, she weaved between her teammates to keep up with the passer. Gabriella quickly followed the Serpent passer, matching her altitude and stayed hot on her trail. That’s when she heard the sound of a bludgeon ball wheezing towards her from behind. She waited until she heard it come closer then made her move, swerving to the right of the passer then stopping mid-air. The bludgeon collided with the Serpent passer, causing her to fall off her broom and drop the ball. Gabriella reached out, caught the ball, then turned around then hurled it towards a teammate of hers. As they caught the ball, a loud roar could be heard, causing him to freeze with fear. This made him let go of the quabble as it fell towards the ground. Gabriella heard screams from the audience and looked up to see what was causing all the ruckus. It was a ginormous dragon!

---

“We’re bound to lose. The Serpents have been training extra hard this year!” Michael, the Griffin keeper complained. They were in the locker room getting ready for the biggest match of the year.

“Oh shut it, Michael.” Gabriella snapped back, rolling her eyes. “We have some amazing plays in store that they will never see coming!”

“Yeah Michael, we will do just fine.” Ingrid said, the team captain and a bruiser. “Plus we have been practicing secretly during our weekend trips to Wigtown. They have no idea how much we have improved since our last match.”

“Yeah Michael, stop being such a downer.” muttered another Griffin passer.

“Okay everyone, cool it. We can’t have bad team dynamics right before a match. It could lower our chances of winning.” The team looked at Ingrid and nodded in approval. “Well, what do you say? Let’s go out and show these Serpents who’s boss!” The Griffin team cheered in approval. Next thing they knew, they were marching onto the field, ready to take on their opponents.

The crowd went wild as the Griffins entered the Quabbleball pitch, pumping their fists and looking at all their fans in the audience. The Serpents had walked onto the field minutes earlier, waiting for the match to begin.

“Silence!” The announcer yelled into their wand that had been bewitched to become a microphone. “Alright. Players, mount your brooms!” Gabriella got on her broom and eyed the other team. “On your mark… get set… go!” Gabriella launched off the ground and zoomed to the ball, matching its trajectory and intercepting it right before it hit the ground.

---

The dragon now was leering down at the stadium, visibly intrigued. Screams erupted from the people in the stands as the winged-beast made its way towards them. Even though everyone else saw a scary dragon, Gabriella saw an opportunity. Despite all the chaos, she had a Quabbleball game to win. The dragon beat its wings, making a wind so strong that it knocked some of the players off their brooms. Gabriella paused. She had to help her teammates. She yanked her wand out of her pocket and cast Mollio to help the falling players bounce instead of tumbling on the ground.

Looking to the skies once more, she noticed the dragon becoming agitated. Its wings flapped harder and flames emerged from its mouth; It was breathing fire! Gabriella watched helplessly as a Griffin teammate struggled to get out of the path of the flames. He narrowly avoided it, but the end of his broom caught on fire. He flew around in panic, hoping the air would put out the fire. To be safe, Gabriella raced after him and used Aquamento, extinguishing the flames in an instant. Although the fire had been put out, the now wet bristles of the broom were weighing it down and made it harder for him to control. He freaked out as he lost altitude and could no longer steer it upwards. With the fire extinguished, she refocused. She had to win the game for her teammates.

As the dragon made its way closer to the field, Gabriella swooped down and picked up the quabble. She held onto it firmly and resumed playing, her other Griffin teammates noticed and followed suit. While everyone else was scared and screaming, the Griffin's took advantage of the chaos. Gabriella reached the goal fast and hit it into the hoop using the back of her broom. The Serpent keeper had been knocked off from the dragon's wings and ran away after landing in the Mollio slime. Even though it was obvious that Griffins had won at this point, they wanted to continue playing. Gabriella and her teammates gathered around the hoops, scoring goal after goal and racking up points. Gabriella took a moment to look around and noticed the teachers had made protective barriers around the students and were preparing to fight the dragon head-on. That's when the snidget came into view, whizzing past her nose and taking off in the other direction. The Griffin's searcher, Melody, was hot on it's trail. In order to catch the snidget and win the game, she then did the unimaginable. All the students behind the barriers watched in awe as she stood up on her broom, reached out, and snatched the snidget. The game was over and the Griffins had come out victorious. The whoops and hollers from the students were muffled but still loud enough to be heard by the Griffin team. Gabriella flew up and patted Melody on the back. Just when they thought everything was over, the dragon roared once again and prepared to breathe fire once more.

"What do we do now?” Melody yelled over the roaring. As she screamed, Gabriella got an idea.

"Everyone, take out your wands and cast Immobilio on three!" Gabriella ordered. She watched as all seven members of her team pulled out their wands and waited for her command. "One… two… three!"

The entire Griffin team hit the dragon with Immobilio from different angles. The dragon felt the effects immediately and fell in the middle of the Quabbleball field, causing an earthquake that shook the stands. With the dragon temporarily incapacitated, teachers quickly made their way onto the pitch to help. “Students, get behind us!” Droobledore yelled. Gabriella and her teammates flew around Droobledore, hopped off their brooms, and stood behind him.

As the teachers prepared to cast on the dragon, it began to struggle. It was trying to escape! The beast’s mighty claws tore into the ground, ripping up the grass. Gabriella gasped. The field was being shred to pieces! At that moment, the teachers cast numerous spells on the dragon. It stopped moving completely and froze. The teachers advanced on the dragon, securing it in magical chains.

“Prefects, take the students back to the castle. We will take it from here.” Droobledore yelled. Students filed out of the stands, led by the prefects, and made their way back to Hogsworth.

---

The day after the match, Gabriella decided to visit the injured players in the hospital wing. As she entered, all the Serpent players looked at her, visibly embarrassed. The captain of the Serpents, however, was not. Meanwhile the Griffins looked on smiling.

“Thanks for that, Gabriella. Our injuries would be ten times as bad if it weren’t for you!” he said. Gabriella smiled in response.

“It was a no-brainer. My instincts just kicked in. Also, nice plays! I barely avoided you guys.”

“Yeah, nice dodges and stuff…” One of the Serpent passers mumbled. Gabriella walked over to him, reached into her pocket, and placed a handful of Bellies Multi-Flavored Jellies on the table beside him. He looked at her, starstruck. She then went around and did the same thing to all the others in the hospital wing and left, smiling to herself.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Plant Wars
Original Works

Written by: MamaDuckie and GarrisonTM
Edited by: maddinq

The warm summer sun sat overhead as witches and wizards walked the streets of Hogsend shopping. Around the center of the small wizarding village, a heavy floral scent filled the air along with advertisers calling out to the shoppers about the deals the shops were having for the day. Of these shops, the two loudest advertisers were those from The Mush Room and the Flower Shoppe, both shouting about the different pieces of foliage on sale that day from opposite sides of the main street.

“Come to the Flower Shoppe! We have loads of new and interesting flowers on sale! You’ll be able to find all of your favorite flowers at the cheapest price in town!” screams the advertiser from the Flower Shoppe, as he waves a large sign above his head. “We have all the seasonal plants that you could want! Decorate your gardens with our wide selections that you can only find at the Flower Shoppe!”

From across the street, the young advertiser for The Mush Room narrowed her eyes at him, then turned to the nearest family passing by her. “Here at The Mush Room, we have a spectacular array of plants and flowers that are perfect for your home and garden! Today we have a special on Nightshade! Two bushels for the price of one!” She grinned at anyone who passed her, as she stood just outside the shop's doors.

Now annoyed, the Flower Shoppe advertiser began to think of new ways to lure in customers. “Flash sale for the next hour! Come grab all of our flowers at a discounted price! You’ll leave here feeling as if we’re family, and we’ll always welcome you back for more!” He knew that he’d achieved something as an older couple walked through the door to the shop.

For a moment, the young witch watched as a few people chose the Flower Shoppe over The Mush Room with annoyance clearly written on her face, however, she smirked upon realizing something. “Don’t forget that The Mush Room offers a wide variety of medicinal herbs and potion ingredients and for this whole weekend we are offering them at 40% off!” With a smug look across the street, she turned and greeted a few people who took a flier from her as they entered The Mush Room excitedly.

As the young wizard noticed the growing amount of people collecting fliers from the witch across the street, he knew that he needed to do something before everyone started choosing The Mush Room over the Flower Shoppe. “What’s up with the fliers? The Flower Shoppe is obviously the better option here, as we offer the better deals! Stop trying to steal our customers!” the young wizard screeched at the advertiser across the street.

Giving directions to another man, whose whole body was covered in excessively large warts, asked for the location within the shop the Wrinklefig was kept, the young witch heard someone calling to her about the fliers. “The fliers are much better than your sign, clearly. Isn’t that right ma’am?” she asked a woman that she handed one of the fliers to.

“They are quite appealing, dear,” the elderly woman smiled kindly as she looked it over, then entered the shop muttering something about rosemary.

She cast a grin across the street. “And obviously our products are far better in quality too!”

After having a short spell of huffing and puffing, the young wizard realized that he had been defeated by the young witch across the street. “I’ll see you tomorrow, but the Flower Shoppe is still better!” he screamed as he walked back into the store. He had to figure out something better to advertise tomorrow or he’d lose more customers to The Mush Room.

With a triumphant grin, the witch watched as the other advertiser walked back into his store. She may have not won the war between the two shops, but she’d certainly won that day's battle and that put her out on top of their daily advertisement battle. Before she could call out any response to his claims about The Flower Shoppe, the door behind her opened and she clearly heard her mother clear her throat.

“I told you not to join in on the bickering with that man. It’s not becoming of a young woman,” the older witch tutted. “Now come inside, I need help in the backroom.

The young witch blushed slightly. “Yes, mother! Sorry, mother!” she apologized, then hurried inside after her mother, but not before stealing one last grin at the man’s retreating form.

The sun began to set on the Hogsend village, and the two flower shops were making their final rounds to prepare for the next day. Both promoters were packing away their signs and thinking of ways to best the other when the time came around again. As the two left the stores, an old man was sitting on a bench not too far away watching as they walked away. “That’s just bad business practices!” he chuckled to himself as he swore he saw the two promoters smile at each other before going their own way.

Status
Not open for further replies.