DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Happy Holidays!
Feature
Written by Melioraa
Edited by MamaDuckie

Greetings witches and wizards of the wizarding world! We’d like to welcome you back to the 27th edition of the Daily Diviner. As the year quickly comes to a close, it’s time for one of our favourite and annually held events - the Winter Waltz! In today’s article, we’ll be looking into the past of holiday events held on Potterworld and we’ll be interviewing a group of players to see what they think regarding this year’s celebration. With that, let’s get right into this!

We won’t be heading back too far into our past as I’m sure we’d rather look forward to what’s coming, so we’ll be taking a quick look at the 2018 and 2019 holiday events! In 2018, the holiday event was held at the Beaubois School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The event was led by Droobledore himself and supported by the Assistant to Head of Game Design at the time, Sam! As for the 2019 holiday celebration, it was instead held at the Dormunstrad School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and saw the introduction of multiple new store items - such as the Bluefyre Fiend pet.

Fun fact; Did you know that the 2016 Yule Ball was streamed and uploaded to the PotterworldMC Youtube channel? It’s still currently available for you to check out should you wish to!

Speaking of this year’s holiday event, on the 28th of November a graphic was released on both the Potterworld Instagram and Twitter showcasing and teasing the new event. This build was then later confirmed by current Head of Media Sunnya as the Japanese Wizarding school - where this year’s event is said to take place!

As the release of the event and build get closer and closer, I’ve interviewed two staff members, Cateo and KiraShock, plus two players, Ikexlo and LaceShock for their reaction to the Japanese school reveal and asked them what they’re most looking forward to in the event. Here’s what they said!

How are you feeling about the release of the Japanese School for this year’s Winter Waltz event?

Cate: I’m so excited!!! I’m sure the builders have done such an INCREDIBLE JOB!! I’m so excited to explore this beautiful place and read all it had to share! This is going to be so much fun!

Lace: This will actually be my first year playing on the server during the Christmas Event and I'm really excited about it! I think with the release of the Japanese school, it's going to be a truly cool experience!

Kira: Christmas is always something I look forward to on the server and with the release of the Japanese school I'm extra excited to experience it. The aspect of adding something new like the school is definitely something I can't wait to see for this year's Christmas.

Ikexlo: I’m feeling excited, and so pumped about it and can’t wait.

What are you most looking forward to or hoping for this year’s holiday event?

Cate: I’m looking forward to spending time with my friends while exploring! My best friend Somara (Somara_Montali) and I haven’t played Potterworld together as much as we used to since I joined the staff team, so I’m really looking forward to doing this event together!

Lace: I'm really looking forward to getting the collectibles at this Christmas event! At all the events you can get really cool items. I can't wait to see what all the builds and quests look like for this event!

Kira: I'm most looking forward to getting collectables at this year's Christmas event. It's always fun to see the new items you can get through the events especially the ones around Christmas, Another thing I'm hoping for is a lot of fun quests as well as cool builds that fellow players can explore.

Ikexlo: I’m hoping for the dance and ac!

With that, it now brings us to the end of this edition’s feature article. I would like to give a special thank you to those who were interviewed for their time and would like to urge you all to pay close attention to the announcement channel on our discord for updates regarding the event. Thank you all for reading and have a good day!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Why Do We Love the Winter Waltz?
Editorial
Written by chail3y
Edited by kvmw

Welcome back to the Daily Diviner! My name is Chailey and in this edition of the Editorial column, I am going to be diving into the biggest event Potterworld holds. The Winter Waltz is important to the community and I aim to show you why and give you insight into some of the traditions that surround this event.

During the Winter Waltz players have many different traditions, but some of the most well-known are asking a date to the dance and the All-Staff Dance. When someone asks someone to be their date to the Winter Waltz, it is a cute thing that friends can have fun with. Usually, they attend the event together, or dress up in matching skins and take screenshots. In the past, staff members have taken this more seriously because of the All Staff Dance. The staff team usually holds a dance for the team. Both Staff and Non-Staff members try and find a partner to attend the dance together. The last time this dance was done was in 2018, and you can find a video of the 2017 All-Staff dance on the Potterwatch Youtube channel. We are super excited to bring it back this year!

I have interviewed several players to get their views on the Winter Waltz!

What is your favorite Winter Waltz tradition?

My favorite Winter Waltz tradition is taking extra snacks from the tables and secretly snacking on them in the hallways! - Salmandingo

My favorite Winter Waltz tradition is going with friends and wearing matching skins! - Serpentella

What is your best memory from a Winter Waltz?

My favorite memory would definitely be when back in 2016, me and my friend would go explore the build and get us some nice ice skates to go skating! We would listen to music together and dance on the ice; it was like our own little world! - MaxTheCoolYUH

I’d say the best memory I have is all the grinding we had to do for the Christmas items, not sure if it’s still like that but wow you had to play for days to get a hat or something - Rhizio

How were you asked to the Winter Waltz?

Through a mutual discord, Cath was panicking about how the Winter Waltz was coming so soon, and how there were so many beautiful people she could go with. Most of the people had already found dates, which had me scared because the Waltz was coming quickly. Then she slid into my dms, asking me if I had a date. Me, being the socially awkward person I am, said "no, I'm forever alone" and she replied with "NOT IF I CAN HELP IT!" and asked me to the Winter Waltz, and of course I said yes. I wouldn't want to go with anyone but her :) - trashdotcom

How did you ask someone to the Winter Waltz?

So, Carlie and I have been married since June and we always love a good laugh. I saw the announcement come out about the Winter Waltz and immediately wondered if she would even be interested in going. Even though she is my wife, however, I was kind of scared to ask for fear of REJECTION, so I phrased it super casual. I messaged her and said “Are we going to the dance”? All lowercase, as is my custom. I imagine she was laughing because the next thing she said was “Is this your way of asking me to the dance smh”? Of course, I was ashamed. I should have just straight up asked her. So I changed my approach and said “Carbi Chi, ... would you HONOR me and attend the PW Winter Waltz as my... date...??????? ”. And it was history from there. She responded with a yes and we began our plans to attend together! - MakkChi

What does the Winter Waltz mean to you?

The Winter Waltz, to me, represents the wholesomeness of the Potterworld community. Its a time for everyone to just relax with their friends, explore what is usually the largest event of the year together, reflect on the past year, talk about the year to come, and just have fun. Its also sort of like a massive reunion, as many former players and staff members return to check out the event year after year. I've attended every Winter Waltz since its inception, during the servers first year, and at this point, its become just as much of a tradition to me as anything that happens in real life. - NSgaming

what the Winter Waltz means to me is a time where everyone can get together and enjoy themselves. Its an amazing way to get people together and have a nice night to celebrate the holidays! - MistletoeMalla

Everyone knows and loves the Winter Waltz, and when there are new things added, people get very excited. This year, we have a brand new school, and many people can’t wait to see it! Miss_Strudel, the Lead Magiventologist, wants everyone to know, “The build team did an absolutely outstanding job bringing the Japanese wizarding school to life. There is so much small attention to detail and I recommend exploring all of the unique dorms and classrooms to see it all. I’m glad we could change it up and introduce a new wizarding school this year and it was very fun to work on gameplay involving the school’s lore. I hope everyone enjoys Winter Waltz at Mahounoshiro!” Personally, I am very excited for the event to release and for everyone to see the new school.

Many players on Potterworld celebrate the Winter Waltz with different traditions and find enjoyment in various different aspects of this holiday event. I want to give a huge thank you to Salmandingo, Serpentella, MaxTheCoolYUH, Rhizio, trashdotcom, MakkChi, NSgaming, MistletoeMalla, and Miss_Strudel for telling us their stories. I hope you all have a great day and tune into the rest of the issue!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
New Sledding Tournament!
Editorial
Written by saphirite
Edited by MamaDuckie

Greeting fellow witches and wizards, and welcome back to the Daily Diviner and this week’s snowy Editorial Column! In this week's issue, we will dive into the new Sledding Tournaments happening in the winter months of December and January! And with those tournaments, we will also be taking a look into the new map that comes along with them, as well as the Sledding Challenges too!

Tournaments have always been such mainstream events that have been happening on Potterworld for a very long time, and it’s exciting during these months of the Christmas season to see such tournaments be included somehow in the holidays. And of course with these tournaments also comes the amazing team that hosts them… the Arena Team! To see the team incorporate these new ideas and transform them perfectly to fit the themes of winter, it’s truly exciting, and beyond an experience everybody is looking forward to trying out. With that though, let’s go more in-depth of what there will be to experience, first with the Sledding Tournaments.

Starting off with the Sledding Tournaments, these tournaments will be happening during the months of December and January hosted, again, by the Arena Team. The first tournament happened on December 12th, and was a 1v1 type of tournament. The next Sledding Tournament after the month of December will be held again in January, and instead of a 1v1, it will consist of a 2v2 type of tournament which is absolutely exciting! And not to worry for all the newcomers attending the new Sledding Tournaments, these tournaments will be similar to how the Flying Tournaments are being handled this year around, so all in all everything should be well for those who attended the Flying Tournaments prior to these tournaments.

Continuing on with the Sledding tournaments with the Winter Waltz, also comes the Sledding Challenges. The Sledding Challenges are something that is being incorporated along with the Sledding Tournaments in order to enhance the activity further, and of course have always made appearances during many other tournaments as well. The Sledding Challenges will also be held during the winter months of December and January, and will begin to be added to the cycle of challenges during the weeks of those months. Make sure you are keeping an eye out on these tournaments and challenges to find out more information, and to keep on sledding with everybody else! Moving on… with these types of new tournaments though, of course also comes with a new map as well! With the Sledding Tournaments, different maps of variant details have been made to suit the occasion. Let’s check it out!

When first looking at the map in full pictures, I can absolutely say how terrific it is! The beautiful trees and the wonderful mountains and hills covered in snow are something to absolutely die for. Everything is perfectly set up and wrapped like a present to fit the holidays and the current season of winter. The festive decorations that come along with the map are something that should not be missed, as they provide a warm and welcoming touch not only to the server but the Sledding Tournaments as well.

The Sledding Tournaments no doubt are something that cannot be passed on by any player who plays on Potterworld. With the details, map, and spirit of the community, I would absolutely recommend coming to this tournament, or any tournaments that are being held this winter season. Tournaments have always been a prized possession and fascination, so there is no doubt when I say that the Sledding Tournaments will be no different either.

And with that, this brings us to the end of this week’s Editorial Column! After taking a dive into the new Sledding Tournaments, challenges, and the new map that was introduced, I am sure everyone will have a wonderful time during this time of festivities. I hope you had a wonderful time reading this and also have a splendid week and a brilliant start to the snowy season! Until next time, from the Daily Diviner team, thank you for reading!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Snowy Seasonal Sports!
Games and Sports
Written by Silquer
Edited by MamaDuckie

Hello readers, and welcome to the wonderful Game and Sports section of the Daily Diviner! The wintery season has finally picked up its chilly pace, and it’s already time to celebrate Potterworld’s winter festivities! There is no doubt that the snowy atmosphere of Hogsend and Wigtown are growing more enticing, and the holiday event is on the horizon; but what about the minigames? From magical snowball fights with friends to fast-paced sled-racing, these classic minigames are sure to be a merry addition to the upcoming event. But what exactly are these minigames, and how will they work? Let’s find out!

The chilliest minigame of the event lineup is Snowballing. In this fast-paced game, fight against other players in an all-out snowball war! Compete for the most points by using a myriad of tactics at your disposal. You can jump around the frosty map and avoid foes with a special spell, or snipe your friend with a fluffy snowball from far away. The choice is yours! You can also use the map to your advantage.

The map itself is relatively simple, but it’s decked out in holiday cheer, as well as everything you need to snowball your target. Hide from view behind market stalls, peek around the door of a house to snipe your enemies, or use a less discreet method and attack in the open courtyard. The environment is your greatest ally!

A tip for this minigame is to find the best combination of spells for your playstyle. Jump behind your foes and throw a snowball for a quick counterattack, or leap out of your hiding spot and snipe your target midair. Get creative! Overall, the Snowballing minigame is sure to be a fantastic, if not slightly frigid, way to spend the winter event.

The second minigame during this frozen season is Sledding! Use your sled to race down a snowy mountain in a competition against several other players. Pass through checkpoints, find secret shortcuts, and devise your best personal strategy to win! However, keep in mind that the way down is tricky and full of obstacles. Watch out for mounds of fluffy snow and caverns of icy towers! Don’t overlook the other competitors, either. Every checkpoint yields a new sabotage item for both you and your opponents. It won’t be easy getting down this mountain!

As for the map, it’s gorgeous and full of interesting hurdles. Start at a cozy cabin and speed down a frozen waterfall, through a crystal cavern and across a snowy-white plain. Don’t let the scenery distract you, though! The frozen waterfall is steep, the caverns are blocked by pillars of ice, and the stretches of white are covered with impassable heaps of snow and stone. Not to mention the shortcuts! One of your fellow racers could easily steal your lead if you aren’t careful. It’s important to always stay aware.

When playing this minigame, it’s important to keep a close eye on the map around you, and not just for obstacles. There are many shortcuts and ways to avoid excessive drawbacks. Make sure to always look for new ways down the mountain. Good luck!

In conclusion, the two minigames are great fun and present an exhilarating way to pass the time competing with friends. There are plenty of new maps and strategies to re-discover in these amazing minigames, and I can’t think of a more perfect way to spend this wintry holiday. I’m excited to play with everyone, and I hope you are as ready as I am for Potterworld’s winter events. See you in the minigame lobbies!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Winter’s Accessories!
Lifestyle
Written by Becaologies
Edited by MamaDuckie

Hello, and welcome back to the Lifestyle column! As the pandemic still muddles our everyday lives, it’s hard for us witches and wizards to safely celebrate the winter holidays with friends and family outside of our homes. Some of the best ways to keep our spirits up, while staying safe and healthy, is to decorate our homes! No matter how you like to celebrate, there’s definitely something for you! So get your winter scarves, because it’s about to get chilly!

For those who celebrate Christmas, a perfect way to liven up your homes is to make DIY ornaments for your tree! Grab an old ornament, paint it with your house colors, or a favorite item from the stories, then hang it up for everyone to see! For those just as important students who don’t celebrate a Christmas, there are plenty of alternate ways to spice up the season! For example, you can also paint an old mug to sip a Butterbeer Hot Cocoa! (See recipe at the end) Perfect for keeping you warm and toasty during the cold weather. I spoke with Performer, Allan_Crystalbone, about some of the ways he’s made changes to spreading his holiday cheer, “I normally celebrate but since the pandemic we had to change our plans. Normally, we would go on a vacation to somewhere new that we haven’t been at as a family. Since this year is different we will be spending our holidays with some friends and family and staying in doors.” So, don’t get discouraged by the negative circulating. There’s a great deal of ways you can feel the holiday magic right around you!

There’s even a handful of ways you can bring winter festivities to Potterworld too! Stop by your house elf and purchase some winter-themed carpets to update your housing. Or place some tall, snowy pines around your magical home to give it that special feel. After that, invite some PW friends over for a gift exchange, or a roleplay scene of your own! Have friends that are sometimes hard to meet up with at the same time on the server? Send a gift, personalized message, or greeting card through the in-game mailing system. Maybe you can plan with some friends a winter-themed skin contest amongst yourselves where everyone chips in for a first place prize of your choosing! There’s so many new and interesting items on the PW store that will be sure to up your skin game this year too… hint, hint.

That being said, try not to let the events in the world hinder your own personal enjoyment of the season. There are so many great, safe and creative ways to celebrate, and the new year is just around the corner! So start soon! Keeping grateful is a key part in staying in the holiday mood, so I’d like to give a big thank you to Allan for his input on the holidays, and to Lauren Miyashiro for the following recipe on the perfect Butterbeer Hot Cocoa! Stay safe and happy holidays!

Butterbeer Hot Cocoa:

Ingredients:

4 cups of milk
¾ cups of white chocolate chips
½ cup of butterscotch chips
1 table spoon. of melted butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Whipped Cream (optional)
Butterscotch Syrup (optional)
Golden flakes garnish (optional)

Directions:

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring milk to a simmer. Turn off heat, then add white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, melted butter and vanilla. Stir until white chocolate and butterscotch chips have melted. Remove from heat.

Carefully pour hot cocoa into mugs. Top with whipped cream and sprinkles then drizzle with butterscotch syrup. Serve.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
I Guess I Don’t Hate Winter After All
Original Works
Written by Carolllyn
Edited by kvmw

I hate snow. Yeah, I said it. Those cold, tiny, particles falling from the sky make me want to throw up. And I know that a snow day is practically every kid’s dream: building snowmen, having snowball fights, catching snowflakes. But, I would much rather not participate in those atrocious activities. For the record, it’s just the snow that I despise during winter. (The cold never bothered me, anyway.) When mushy and inconvenient flakes come my way, I have no other option but to hide.

It’s around 8 am. I know I have to get out of bed. But, I also know that once I stand up and start heading towards the living room for breakfast, I will have a clear view of my window. I dread what may be out there. I fear the day that snowy weather will show itself this season, and it's about time. I have to make it to breakfast, though. I stand up and, sure enough, my eyes lock with a horrible sight. I look out my window, hoping, praying, that the sidewalk may still greet me back. But, no. The concrete doesn’t stand a chance of poking through the thick layer of ice. Gross. So, I jump back in bed. I’m hiding in my bed. Well, under my blanket in my bed.

After what feels like hours of being curled up in bed, in serene denial of the snowfall, my mom calls me. She says the worst possible thing that could come out of her mouth. My mom tells me to take my little brother outside to play in the snow. My little brother, a snow lover. A snow breather. A snow-obsessed beast of a boy. There is no way I’m going to survive this outing. Unfortunately, I know my mom’s statement wasn’t a request. It was a demand. So, I have to venture out into a world attacked by snow.

The moment we step outside, I cringe. No, not just cringe. I almost collapse. I’ve come face to face with the element I despise most and must lead my somehow-enchanted brother through it to the neighborhood park. Ugh. I use him as support as we make our way over.

Once we enter the park, he begs me to build a snowman with him. I should probably be paid for this service, but I agree anyway. There is no way I’m touching the snow, so I opt to gather the materials for the face and body of our creature. When he’s done rolling and stacking the large spheres of snow, I gingerly dangle my scarf around the neck of the man. Coming prepared, I take a carrot out of my pocket along with a few buttons and place them accordingly. Last but not least (well, everything is least), I gather two sticks and push them into the snowy sides as arms. We take a step back to admire our sculpture. Oh, wait. Did I just say admire? My hand covers my mouth, shocked at the admiration of this snowy being that just crossed my mind.

Next, I’m recruited for a snowball fight. Now, this requires me to touch snow. But, I try to think of the bright side: finally, I can get back at my little brother for being the reason I’m out here and pummel him with a few powerful snowballs. We start running around the park, picking up snow, pressing it into a ball, and catapulting it towards each other with all our might. Obviously, I win this battle. That was fu….. Huh? Fun? Was that what I was about to say? No. Heck to the no. That was terrible. Much better.

On the walk home, despite my believing our series of snow-filled activities have come to a close, my brother suggests we open our mouths and let the tiny snowflakes fall on our tongues. He seriously thinks I’m going to allow that stuff anywhere near my mouth. But then I think back on our time in the park. Our snowman and snowball fight weren’t, dare I say, that bad. Dare I even say, relatively fun. I dare. I also dare to allow a snowflake into my mouth. So, as we walk, our heads tilt up towards the sky, and snowflakes of all shapes and sizes meet us. They have a unique flavor. I appreciate it.

I guess I don’t hate snow that much after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.