DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Chief Aurorlock Lauren Strudel Assassinated
Feature

Written by Sunnya
Just after a month since the appointment of Chief Aurorlock Lauren Strudel, the Ministry of Magicians has announced that Strudel has recently been assassinated. Strudel’s assassination caused unrest and debates among Aurorlocks and Ministry officials. In hopes to bring justice to the now Ex-Chief, the Aurorlocks have begun to round up all possible suspects.

They claim that they will be doing whatever in their power to find the killer all while bringing order to the Ministry and the magical world. Many of those taken in by the Aurorlocks are witches and wizards who have been protesting and fighting for democratic rights. The Ministry has announced a public trial for all suspects and will release details in the near future.

Among the suspects is Aviforma, who was at the forefront of all the protests.

“It all started when Lauren Strudel was appointed as Chief Aurorlock. The public was outraged that an unnotable individual had been put into this position without any say, so we took action. The problem isn’t Lauren, but instead how we couldn’t elect her and have no democratic rights,” Aviforma said.

Ever since the appointment of the now Ex-Chief, tensions have been high. Many rallies have been organized by protestors since, and just last weekend a debate was held with Strudel herself.

Protestors have been detained and neither the Aurorlocks or Ministry has made any comments regarding Aviforma’s arrest or of the others. They have also refused to make any comments regarding a new Chief Aurorlock.

“What the Ministry is doing now is wrong and unjust. The officials don’t want to lose their positions, so they aren’t listening to the people. We demand to have our democratic rights. We demand to have the right to vote for the next Chief Aurorlock. Someone who is a leader, known by the community, good at heart and not easily corruptible would be best for this dangerous position,” Aviforma said.

The vast majority of the public agrees with Aviforma and have been confused as to why he was detained when he explicitly stated the problem was not with Strudel, but instead with the process.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Interview with December SoTM
Feature

Written by Carolllyn
Edited by Cweamish

Hello witches and wizards! Welcome to this edition’s feature article (and my first feature article since the return of the Daily Diviner :)). In this article, I conducted an interview with the December staff/team members of the month. Staff and team members of the month are those who did exceedingly well in their department. They are carefully chosen by their fellow team members who were able to vote for who they thought was an admirable contributor in their department for the duration of the month. Who are these members? I’ll tell you! For Game Design: Miss_Strudel. For Moderation: RiverberryRani. For Academics: Polarxo. For Build: Zis_Craft. For Media: VeryFlazeda. For Tech & Dev: DenizTM. I’ve asked them a few pressing questions, keep reading to indulge in their juicy responses!

What achievements of yours this month do you think factored into your being picked as staff/team member of the month?
Zis_Craft:
Tbh there isn’t a specific achievement that made ppl to choose me as their staff of the month. I’ve been a part of a lot of projects and tried to help as much as I could.
VeryFlazeda: I am the second half of the Instagram team and we are here to promote and enlighten everyone about Potterworld and its events, promotions and just fun facts! The last month I heavily promoted the event that was going on and I took a new route and included our players to promote the amazing Winter Waltz. I think because of that my peers voted for me.
Miss_Strudel: Uh, I completed a couple of things related to Revelius (can't say much more).
RiverberryRani: If I’m being completely honest, I don’t believe I’ve made any “achievements” as such, however, I believe the fact that I spend a lot of time online, help out in chats often and answer questions/tickets a lot helped me become staff of the month. I actually spend 40 hours online on average!
Polarxo: For Academics, I feel it's more about being a team player and being consistent with the workload. I enjoy teaching and I'll always help other professors when class helpers may be unavailable. I feel that for the people who voted for me, they appreciated the work that I put in for the month of December.
DenizTM: As a Developer, my job is to be a technical supporter for the rest of the team, and be available as much as I can be. I think I have done a pretty good job at doing this the past couple of months, resulting in me achieving this honorable title.

How does it feel to be regarded with a special title such as this one?
Zis_Craft: To become staff of the month is very heartwarming it feels like all of your hard work has been recognized and rewarded.
VeryFlazeda: It's a huge honor to be selected for the Staff of the Month. it's a little pat on the back that tells you that you did amazing within the department.
Miss_Strudel: It makes me happy that others respect me as a competent team member.
RiverberryRani: I’m gonna be honest and say it feels good but at the same time sorta shocking. I haven’t been on the staff team for very long and to receive Staff of the Month is a big deal for me. It was a shock, just like getting Media staff of the month was in October, but overall I’m extremely proud of myself and the rest of the moderation team for our work and don’t think I could be here without them.
Polarxo: In all honesty, I feel proud. December was a great month for everyone in Academics and I feel that everyone deserved Staff of the Month. For myself to be chosen out of everyone for the month makes me feel really appreciated and respected as a member of an amazing team with outstanding people!
DenizTM: I feel very honored to have received this title from my coworkers and I am very appreciative to have the chance to work with them on a daily basis! They are awesome people, and I am happy that they think I deserve this.

Be honest, did you vote for yourself?
Zis_Craft: Lol I would never vote for myself! Just the idea of it makes me uncomfortable.
VeryFlazeda: I did not, I voted for another staff member that is working super hard within Media. They really showed me how amazing it is to work hard for such an amazing department.
Miss_Strudel: I forgot to vote, tbh.
RiverberryRani: Why you gotta expose me haha. Yes, I did. First time I’ve ever done it though.
Polarxo: For December I voted for someone who I felt worked really well and taught some superb classes which I was lucky enough to attend. I won't name who exactly because everyone deserves SoTM, but the person who I voted for really showcased in December why they are a great asset to the team.
DenizTM: Top 10 questions scientists cannot answer.

Any last words, shout-outs, news, random facts, or whatever you might want to share before we finish up?
Zis_Craft: Can’t wait to see all the players enjoying that hard work. ;)
VeryFlazeda: I would like to give a shout-out to Disqraceful! she is my other half on the Instagram team and without her, Instagram wouldn't be such a fun and amazing project!
Miss_Strudel: And also my fun fact is that bears eat beets.
RiverberryRani: I wanna give a shout out to the following people - Gracelyn, Emma, Bat, Nuggie, Ender, Morgan Pendragon, Sunnya, Linds, Erin, Lucy and all of the members of moderation. They’ve all helped me to quickly settle into my position and do the best that I can in moderation, and all of them are queens. Thank you for being there! And as a fun fact, It will be my 3 months as staff on the 26th :)
Polarxo: I just want to thank everyone within the Academics department and every student who attended my classes! You are all amazing and it's always exciting getting to work alongside and teach an amazing group of people! <3
DenizTM: Not really! Thank you for interviewing me, it was very fun!

Well, that almost concludes this article! Every staff/team member is so appreciated and I really enjoyed interviewing the December staff/team members of the month. I hope all my readers enjoyed the interview too. Anyways, who said these December staff/team members of the month are the only ones allowed to have fun with answers questions? No one. So, lovely readers, I’m going to interview you guys in this article!

What was your biggest accomplishment during this month of December?!
You: Answer this question by sending me a book and quill via the owlery, message me in-game, discord, or by any other means you can think of!

And with that, this was Carolyn Lestrange reporting yet another article for the Daily Diviner! Excited to see you all next time! <3

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
My Experience with the Potterwatch Event
Editorial

Written by kvmw
Edited by MorganChi

Five years ago, on January 10th, 2015, Potterwatch, the department that produces videos for the Potterworld Youtube channel, was created. Since then, it has grown tremendously, the Potterworld channel having more than six thousand subscribers.

For any of you who have participated in the Potterwatch event, in which you visit the Potterwatch studios, you know very well the history of Potterwatch; the first challenge drills it into your head. I will not forget for a long time that Potterwatch’s original creator was Rhytheria or that Abstract_Magi and RobotWizz were Potterwatch members, but Claireypants wasn’t.

But, in case you haven’t participated in the event—I highly recommend you do so—I will give you a brief history of Potterwatch. Its main purpose, as stated, is to create videos for the Potterworld Youtube channel. Its video categories include Tutorials, Featurettes, Shorts, and Events.

Now that that is over with, to the actual event. The event is composed of challenges that all culminate to give you various emotes and a limited-edition Director’s scarf. The first challenge, as aforementioned, is a quiz on how well you know Potterwatch. Of course, they don’t let you walk in with absolutely no knowledge. In Studio 1– there are seven studios in total—there are two people that tell you about the history of Potterworld. You could, while taking the quiz, run back and forth to check for answers, but I tried memorizing everything. This, as it turns out, was one of my favorite challenges. Not my favorite, but up there. I personally enjoy memorizing such information, and that challenge was not too difficult compared to the others.

After the Studio 1/Studio 2 challenge, came the Studio 3 challenge. The Director, the one guiding you through all these events, tells you to find five props in the maze-like building. This challenge was one of the hardest challenges. Due to my awful sense of direction, I spent a good twenty minutes before I could find the stairs to the second floor, and another twenty looking for the items there. Even finding the Director after I finished was difficult. But you should be fine...unless your sense of direction is really bad.

Studio 4 was my personal favorite quest. In this challenge, you have a set amount of time to run around the room and collect items or perform certain actions. It took more than one try, but it was an enjoyable activity nonetheless.

Studio 5 wouldn’t have been that bad had it not been for Studio 6—which happens to feature one of my least favorite things: parkour.

If I thought Studio 3 would take me a long time, this took an eternity. (Spoiler: I never finished it.) Studio 5’s challenge was to find an item from each studio—together, they would craft something very important. All the other Studio’s items were easy to find, but Studio 6 was a struggle. It took me ten minutes to find the parkour, and a good thirty minutes to attempt it. And to never succeed.

While doing the parkour, I made a joke that all my money came from writing, not actually being good. I soon proved this to be true— Potterworld staff members Rani and Toby both came to help me and show me what to do (thank you, by the way!) and I still couldn’t do it. I sometimes even failed to climb the ladder that took you to restart the parkour. Yeah, it was bad.

I left when a surprise class began so that Rani and Toby wouldn’t feel like they had to wait for me. I never finished the challenge—I had been on my non-laggy computer, and there was no way my older one could handle it. But, I can tell you about Studio 7’s challenge.

Studio 7’s challenge was to find 2 Performers and show them the finished product. One of them was at the end of the parkour—you could click the NPC as you fell on that final jump. (Or you could just complete the parkour.) I never found the other Performer. Though, I’ve been told the second Performer is at the end of the second parkour, following the first.

I’ve spent a great portion of the article talking about the struggles I had with this event, but in truth, it was a thoroughly enjoyable event. Even while struggling, I enjoyed myself, so I highly recommend trying the event out—even if you have a bad sense of direction, or are bad at parkour, try it. You never know, something good may come out of it!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
The Start of Sports in 2020
Games and Sports

Written by ShaneChi
Edited by Cweamish

2020 has arrived, and with it has come a new year of sports and wizarding competitions. It truly is a great thing to compete, for it brings out the best in us as people. As many of our readers know, our community currently has two official competitions, the Flying and Dueling competitions. Flying tournament consists of the best flyers in each Hogsworth house competing in multiple rounds of racing through a map with the goal of obtaining the most points. The Dueling tournament is similar in that the best duelers from each house compete in multiple rounds of dueling with the goal of obtaining the greatest amount of points. In both tournaments, the house with the largest number of points is victorious. With this information in mind, the wizarding world is ready for what 2020 has in store for its sports fans.

The January tournaments recently concluded, and the results are in! The House of Honeybadgers took first place in the Flying tournament, surpassing the valiant Serpents by a small margin, with Griffins coming in third and Ravens coming in fourth place. Honeybadgers also claimed victory in the Dueling tournament, beating Griffins by exactly one point, with Serpents in third and Ravens in fourth. While the Honeybadgers should be pleased by the results of the January tournaments, it was an excellent effort from all houses.

Sports are an excellent thing, and we should all be thankful that we have them to inspire, innovate and encourage us. However, in the end, it matters not who takes first, rather that all participants glean good sportsmanship and have fun. It is for this reason that the Daily Diviner wishes the best of luck to all houses participating in our dear tournaments, and encourage all of our readers to work hard in order to join the ranks of our community’s greatest competitors. Yet this takes time, and it is for this reason that you should never give up! Work hard, stay sporting, and keep reading!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
What can you do on the server?
Lifestyle
Written by BeanCheese
Edited by MorganChi

Hello everyone and welcome back to another article of the Daily Diviner! 2020 has started off to be an epic year on Potterworld, with a new event already to spicing up the Discord server. Do you enjoy these new additions? For those who are bored and looking for fun things you can try on the server, let me tell you the top 4 best fun things to try out!

Minigames
Minigames are very popular, played many times by many players throughout the day. You may have seen people asking for others to join minigames before in the /ch games chat, like Quabbleball, Flying, Melting Floor and Hide & Seek. But what are these games?

Quabbleball is the lore term for Quidditch. When you enter a game of Quabbleball you’ll have to choose a team; green or red. These games can take a bit of time, but overall they make a great game and an amazing experience!

Flying is quite self-explanatory. When you enter a game a map will be chosen at random and you’ll also be given a broomstick to fly on. The aim is to finish the game first, and participating is helpful to anyone who wants to improve in flying!

Melting Floor is a game set in a random map with multiple stories. You have to try outrunning the floor behind you as it melts. You may pick up a bomb which helps you take down others on your floor! Try to stay as high as you can for as long as you can, and avoid hitting rock bottom.

Hide & Seek is a game you’ve probably played with friends a few times, and it is one of my personal favourites. However, Potterworld’s version is not a copy of the original. If you’re a hider, you’ll get to choose a block to hide as so you can hide among similar blocks, basically being invisible as long as you don’t move. If you stay still long enough, you’ll be placed directly on top of the block below to look like any other block. If you are the seeker, you’ll be given a bat to try and get the hiders out. If you can’t find any hiders, you can just randomly hit blocks and hope you catch some! If you like the sound of these minigames, you can do /games to play any one of them!

Elevator games
Maybe you like games, but minigames aren’t your favourite. Well, that’s ok, because you can go to the Leisure of Games and Sport and play those games! There are many to choose from, but the three most popular games there are parkour, droppers and mazes. There are 16 different parkour maps to choose from, each a new opportunity to get even better at the challenging game! Maybe you would prefer Mazes, where you have to try to escape from the various maps; as easy as the Grimlotts Maze to as hard as the two-floor Treasure Maze. But of all three, my personal favourite are droppers. In droppers, you’ll be presented with a small hole in front of you, and if you look down, you’ll notice a deep, detailed area with a hole in or near the centre. The goal is to avoid all obstacles of the map you’ve chosen and land inside the hole filled with water. Each map can be a bit tricky to get used to, especially as you have to memorise where to fall to avoid death and still land in the hole, but after a few times of attempts, they can take a matter of seconds! The courses of all games really become muscle memory.

Chests
Of course, games aren’t the only way to enjoy yourself. A very popular and lucrative choice is chests. You may have already stumbled across some just by accident every now and then, or noticed sparkles and not known what they are or how to access them. You can identify chests by looking for something sparkling green, but be careful not to confuse them with your Daily Riddle. The objects do look exactly like a chest so they’re easy to notice, but sometimes they can be difficult to find. For example, they could be trapped behind an object that needs opening with a spell like the chest at the boathouse. Chests are found all around the map, from Hogsworth to the Bank and since there are over 120 chests, it’ll definitely get you thinking and exploring! If you struggle to try and find some of them, you can always go on chest runs with your friends which will always make the experience more enjoyable! Every chest you open, you’ll get random valuable ingredients, a random chocolate hop card, and XP or gold if you’re a graduate!

Quests
Quests are extremely popular ways to enjoy yourself on Potterworld. Potterworld’s quests are made to be unique! For example, the most popular quest is the Daily Riddle. Every day, you can challenge yourself to tricky riddles and try to find the location/object. If you manage to find where or what it is, you’ll get a lot of experience, or, if you’re a graduate, gold. Quests can be found all over the server, some quests you can do are The Memory Walker and Feeding Herbeta, as well as the Daily Riddle that has just been mentioned. If you struggle finding quests, you’re always welcome to ask for help in /ch qc, which can also be used for you to ask for Daily Riddle help, help with other quests, recruit people to do certain quests with each other like defeating Yasmaar, etcetera. Special quests also come to Potterworld during events, for example the Bluefyre quest in this year’s holiday event. To find out what quests you have, do /q and /q complete to find out what quests you’ve done previously.

Unfortunately, that is it for this article, but I hope you enjoyed reading! What’s your favourite to have fun on Potterworld? Do you like the ways of entertainment? Feel free to discuss it in chat!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Feeling Yellow, Thinking Blue, Seeing Green
Original Works
Written by BaffledRabbit
Edited by Cweamish

“I don’t see Harvey anywhere...” Sebastian collapsed in defeat on the forest grounds. He’d been searching for his best friend in the dark forest for the last hour, but to no avail. “We haven’t seen him since Care of Magical Creatures class - and we’re gonna be late for Transfiguration.” A girl took a seat beside him. “I think he may just need some time alone… he seemed pretty upset after we were all caught out of bed in the library last night…”

Sebastian sighed. “I guess you’re right - I’d be pretty upset if I was blamed for the whole thing, too. You know, we got thirty house points taken from Ravens because of you two.”

“Because of us?” the other girl looked startled.

“Well, because of Natasha here, more like.”

Another girl - Natasha - standing nearby and staring out into the dark forest, suddenly whirled around to face him. “It was Harvey’s idea to go to the library after nightfall and study last minute for that test. So I rightfully accused him. And besides, Serpents and Badgers lost house points, too.”

“Only ten each,” Sebastian coughed.

“Seb, we already argued about this with Harvey, can’t we just cut it out already?” Sienna pleaded.

“Not like you did anything to help us out, Sienna,” Seb turned to her, “You Honeybadgers will do anything to avoid a conflict, even if it means abandoning your friends.”

“Well,” Natasha snapped, “you Ravens are so stuck up from your O+ grades and being the teacher’s pet that when you get caught breaking the rules you start whining like this.”

“Nat,” Sienna complained, “you’re making things worse - you’re being such a Serpent right now.”

“Shush, both of you - I’m so over this,” Natasha threw her hands in the air. “We should keep looking for Harvey. He’s gotta be around here somewhere...”

Still fuming, the others reluctantly agreed, and the trio got up to continue their search, but were stopped dead in their tracks as they heard someone call out to them.

In a strange, raspy voice, someone or something snarled at them. “So you’ve finally come.” There upon a pile of rocks sat an odd feline creature with the face of a girl and the body of a lion. Sebastian went pale and Sienna grasped his arm. “I-Is that… a-a sphinx?”

“Looking for your little friend, I shouldn’t wonder,” the sphinx continued, fluttering her lion’s tail. “Well, I have him held captive - but don’t worry, you can free him. All you have to do is answer me three questions. Come closer, now - that’s it. I don’t have all day.”

Natasha slowly approached the sphinx, Seb and Sienna following cautiously behind.

“Let’s begin our little game. Guess all the riddles correctly and your friend will be set free. Incorrectly, and, well... your friend’s lunch.”

Natasha took a deep breath, and turned to Sebastian. “Alright, as much as it pains me to say this, this is a Raven’s game. You’re up, Seb.”

“Not so fast,” the sphinx chuckled. “Let’s have our little Honeybadger here answer the riddle.”

“W-what?” Sebastian went pale. “No - that’s not fair - Sienna’s a Badger - she can’t answer a riddle for her life!”

“Go ahead, little badger... she spoke;

"Thinking like a Raven is the key, it’s true, thinking blue-
think what your Raven friend here would do.
What’s purely abstract, yet can give greatest results,

said to be stronger in children than it is in adults?”

Sienna breathed a sigh of relief. Sebastian looked confused as she grinned and announced, “That’s so easy - it’s imagination.”

The sphinx smiled. “You are correct.”

Sebastian’s jaw dropped, “...congrats, Sienna. I… didn’t think you… had it in you-”

“Next,” the sphinx interrupted,

“The Raven. Here’s a story, but to see the right choice, you’ll need to see like a Serpent. You and one other are trapped in a room, an open window is all you can see, but it’s eight feet above you. How do you escape?”

Sebastian hesitated, but then with a smirk replied, “I use the one who’s with me as a ladder, and escape alone.”
“Correct,” the sphinx approves. Natasha seemed shook, either offended by the sphinx’s portrayal of her Hogsworth house, or impressed by Sebastian figuring the riddle out.

“As for you, little Serpent - are you feeling yellow? For your challenge will require the loyalty of a Badger. In order to free your friend... you must take his place.”

Natasha went pale, but put on a brave face nevertheless. “You mean I have to… die?”

Sebastian and Sienna looked at her, sudden confusion and fear in their eyes, but to their surprise Natasha didn’t hesitate for one second. “I’ll take his place.” With that she slowly approached the sphinx. “Now let my best friend go.”

The sphinx sighed, looking disappointed. “Hmm… what a shame. I’m afraid I never had your friend.”

“W-what?”

“I’m sure you’ll find him back at the castle. I merely wanted a snack, but as I’m sure you intelligent little students know, as a sphinx I only eat those who answer my riddles incorrectly - and you’ve all made the right choices. I’ve had my fun. Farewell - until we meet again.” With a sinister glance, she disappeared into the dark of the forest, leaving the three quite confused yet very much relieved.

That very evening, Seb, Nat, and Sienna were seated in the great hall, explaining this all to a confused looking Harvey who had, in the end, never been lost at all.

“I think we’ve seen our true colors, at least,” Sienna sighed. Sebastian agreed. “Honestly, you’d make a great Raven, Sienna, guessing that riddle so quickly.”

“I guess I caught on after hanging out with you for so long… and Natasha, you’re such a Honeybadger after all - choosing your friend’s life over yours… that took a lot of loyalty.”

“Alright, shush, don’t tell anyone I did that, okay?” Natasha insisted. “And as if I’d ever be a Badger - I’m a Serpent through and through... but maybe it’s true that houses don’t really, fully define us… and we should judge each other on an individual basis. A Raven can be cunning - like Seb here, a Badger can be clever like Sienna, and,” she smirked, “even a Serpent like me can have a heart.”

Status
Not open for further replies.