DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

TABLE OF

CONTENTS

Feature

Editorial

Student Spotlight

Lifestyle

Original Works

Miscellaneous

Into the Cosmos
Feature
Written by SnowyKitty
Edited by Calliequeen

Hello everyone, and welcome to this Daily Diviner issue! July is just around the corner and with only one week away; it's time to get excited! Summer officially started already, but it doesn't quite kick into action until next month. While I’m ecstatic about all the fun under the sun, a new month means something else on Potterworld. As you might know, a store release comes out on the 1st of each month. This past week, I’ve gotten to learn more about what we can expect in this pack. Let’s get into it, shall we?

I had a chance to talk with Sunnya, one of the Store Manager leads, and I cannot believe what the Store team has planned! This upcoming store release is titled the Celestial Store Release. As you can guess from the title, it’ll be themed around the cosmos, and it sounds stellar. I’ve been told it has been “uniquely designed” and we can expect to see some truly magical items this July.

What exactly will be in it, though? Sunnya wouldn’t share that with me, but my brain got to dreaming! I automatically thought of a broom design with a starry theme. I’m a big fan of the Cherry Blossom Broom and the idea of a similar broom with stars trailing behind as I fly across the night sky sounds divine. But wait! We haven’t gotten an emote pack in a while! We have a stargazing emote right now, but what if we had an entire emote pack themed around the cosmos? Personally, I want items with sparkly stars all over them, however, the theme has gotten me thinking. What could it even entail? I’m on the edge of my seat waiting for next week.

The Celestial Store Release isn’t the only thing hitting the store this month. Guardians will also be experiencing a major change! Currently, Guardians are purely cosmetics and can’t be accessed without completing a series of quests. The Store team has been working on a way to make them more appealing to buyers.

If you don’t know what a Guardian is, don’t fret. While it used to be a more popular activity, the Guardian Challenge is a quest made up of difficult challenges that can be found in the Headmaster’s Office. It contains activities like mazes and parkour that require certain spells for you to complete. The reward for it is Animus Exto. With this spell, you can summon your Guardian at will, which is a perfect defence for The Dark Prison’s Dementares.

The Store team has been working on a marketing plan to gain more traction for the Guardian Challenge. I was told that the main plan is to update the challenge as much as they can. If you’ve played any part of the quest, you’ll know that the builds used throughout it are in a different style than the rest of the server. With the help of the Build team, the Guardian Challenge will receive a new look. This doesn’t mean the challenges will change! The goal is to simply update the builds and not the actual gameplay. I completed it many years ago, but with the entire look planned to be changed, I’m tempted to play through it again.

The Store team isn’t the Build team though, in case you haven’t noticed. They’ve been working hard on redesigning Guardians and their overall attractiveness. Right now, Guardians are simple animals you can find around the map, some even being default Minecraft mobs. With this update, Guardians will be shifting over to custom creatures. They won’t be your average magical creatures, though! They’ll be taking on an otherworldly appearance to show the magic they contain.

Since Guardians can only be used after you complete the Guardian Challenge, there’s some common confusion when new players look at the store. You’re able to buy a Guardian even if you can’t cast it. The Store team has found a solution to this! When you purchase a Guardian, you can also summon it as a pet. It won’t have the same ethereal look as when you cast it with Animus Exto but it will allow you to show it off no matter what.

I don’t personally have a Guardian, but when Sunnya told me they could be pets as well, I knew I’d be getting one. While there’s no information on what the Guardians will be quite yet, I’m sure to find one I love. Exploring The Dark Prison will be a lot more comforting with a celestial friend at my side!

I know I’m super hyped for this upcoming month. The Store team is bringing pretty stars and cool Guardians? What more could you ask for? I can’t wait to see how it turns out! Thank you to the Store team for working so hard and thank you to Sunnya for providing the exciting information on this issue. Until next time!

Comments

Status

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Pride is in the Air
Editorial
Written by Creme_de_Creme
Edited by snotflower

Hello lovely readers and welcome back to the Editorial column. Last year, the Pride Event was featured in magical London, held between Diagonal Lane and Carket Market. This year, the Pride Event was held on the colourful island of Iris Cove! Follow along with me as I give my review of the event!

On Iris Cove, I got to explore the gorgeous town filled with stunning shops. I am a big fan of books, so I spent most of my time in the purple district. The activity located in the purple district is known as the riddle activity. Every 12 hours, I could solve a new puzzle and find a new location around the island. One of my favourite riddles led me to a place where a rat was trying to reach his cheese through the sewer bars.

I also loved following the storyline of Lydia and her girlfriend. Getting to collect a handful of lemons each day led to a beautiful story that unfolded right before your very eyes about two people in a relationship and their shared love of lemon cake. The reason why this story took so long to complete is because of the shortage of lemons on the island. They are hard to come by these days. Thus, the treasured treat was something special between these two.

The main quest was based around helping one of the townspeople, Sammy, get to experience their first-ever rainbow. To collect the various colours of the rainbow, you had to complete different tasks in each of the districts in order to gain a colour essence. There were also other ingredients that involved things such as picking flowers. While I think it was a super cute part of the quest, I think there could have been a separate quest that delved deeper into the different meanings of the colours in the progressive flag!

Speaking of the progressive flag, this was one of the newest items you could obtain this year! Originally, we only had the animated rainbow pride flag. Having this recent addition has certainly helped expand Potterworld’s horizons and highlight many more branches of the LGBTQ+ community.

Because of the multiple banners, heads, and even flag collectables to represent the various members of the LGBTQ+ community, as a member of the community, I felt recognized. I could tell that there was so much work, effort, and thought put into every block of the build and the activities, quests, and collectables. It showed that Potterworld continues to care about each and every one of its members alike. It reminded me of why I fell in love with Potterworld in the first place – because of its super friendly and ultra-welcoming community.

I think that the build itself was absolutely stunning, though I wish there were more photo booths. I felt like each time I walked by the pride Potterworld sign, there was a student standing in front of it taking a picture. I found myself spending a lot of time at the docks. I could sit there for hours and watch the sunset.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would give this event a rank of 8. I would like to thank the Events team and Build team for their hard work! If you would like to be a part of the team that brings the community together through events, keep an eye out for the Game Design applications, which should be open in the coming weeks. In the meantime, have a prideful day! This has been Creme_de_Creme reporting for the Daily Diviner.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

This is How the Story Ends
Editorial
Written by ivyronincheez
Edited by Compost__King

Hello lovely readers and welcome back to the editorial section of the Daily Diviner! Today we will be going over the conclusion of Potterworlds Chapter Three Roleplay. Now that the official storyline is over, let us look at what led up to this ending.

The first event that led up to the ending of Chapter Three was The 5th Battle of Potterworld. In this event, players joined a dungeon queue and were sent to run through the burning ruins of Hogsworth and attempt to stop Grux and anything else in their way. Within the event, Grux was at the wizarding school looking for an item called The Obscurium. Grux had also brought some ghostly friends with him, which players recognized. They were Sara Selwyn, Aure Pendragon and lastly Matt Griffiths. The dungeon ends once all three ghosts have been defeated in the Room of Requisite.

After the battle, the Daily Diviner released Breaking News #23: 5th Battle of Potterworld Recap. In this Breaking News article, players discover that the Phoenix Embersage, Arabella Pendragon, had sacrificed herself and was killed by the ghost of Aure Pendragon. Now that Grux had the Obscurium, there was no telling what his next move was.

On June 4, the Ministry of Magicians was alerted of a break in at the Grimlotts bank. Every allegiance member was alerted and, one by one, everyone showed up outside of the vault of Joel Crestello. Players had to collect raw magic to break down each barrier that Grux had put up to keep everyone out. In the final event on the 18th, the players collected enough raw magic to break through the barriers. In the end many lives were lost in the battle. The following will be missed: Chailey Selwyn, Kade Everard, and Casara Griffiths. The final reward to collect was a Daily Diviner Breaking News article that explains what each leader and inner circle member did after the final event.

In the end, these final Roleplay events were amazing and loads of fun to play and take part in. I hope that the community has enjoyed everything that the Seer team has given us through the years. This has been ivyronincheez reporting for the Daily Diviner!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

A Talk With Potterworld’s Writing Club
Student Spotlight
Written by Silquer
Edited by kvmw

Hello my lovely readers, and welcome to the Student Spotlight column! Potterworld has plenty of activities spread throughout its world to engage in, from combat to staff-run classes. However, the community sometimes must look into itself for engaging pastimes. It is my pleasure to spotlight a prime example of this: Kat and Daniel Frost’s in-game writing club! This club has been running for some time now under the two Frosts’ careful leadership, and I had the honor of interviewing them both on their spectacular innovation within the community of Potterworld.

Potterworld is full of roleplay-esque classes and player-run organizations. A writing club is certainly unique! When did you both decide to start this club, and what inspired you?
Kat: Well I actually met Daniel through the writing club! I really loved the creative writing classes that were offered through Potterworld, and wanted to write more than the few classes that were offered a week, so I started a club! Then I met Daniel and he has REALLY helped it take off, very grateful for him.
Daniel: Kat and I had met not too long before we started our writing club. We're both passionate about writing and after some time we decided to start a club to inspire others to write. I love helping others and this is a great way to help out fellow writers channel their creativity.
Describe the club! What activities do you set up for players? How do you help writers improve?
Kat: In the Frost Family writing club, each player is handed a prompt and is told to pick a partner. Each prompt is geared toward a specific writing device/tool that will help grab a Potterworld professor’s attention, or in general, improve the players writing! When the players get their prompt they are given thirty minutes to complete it. We try to give out general prompts/ideas so that players can do any kind of creative writing they want! This includes poetry, short stories, or even a script. Once the timer is up, players swap their work with teammates, each pair is asked to give at least one compliment and one piece of constructive criticism about the other person’s work. We do this because READING others’ work is just as important as writing your own. After that, players can ask either Daniel or I for feedback, and we send them detailed tips/compliments on their work :D
Daniel: We host the writing club in the way that professors host the Potterworld classes. There's the theory part and then the assignment. In the beginning, we gave out rewards for the best story, but we have changed that, as it was starting to become too expensive. Now we let them turn in their assignments, and we give them personal feedback, telling them the parts that are good, and the parts that could use improvement. Our goal is to help players get higher grades in the writing assignments, and encourage them to choose writing over the quiz options.
Writing clubs are great tools for writers everywhere, even on Potterworld! What are your personal experiences with writing and writing clubs? How does your writing experience influence how you run the club?
Kat: I have always loved writing and literature since I was young, it's one of the reasons I wanted to be a lore keeper! I am also going to school to become a High School English Teacher so you can say I love writing/reading.
Daniel: Before this, I had never been in a writing club of any sort, and I was very excited that we could start this club together. I write poetry in my spare time and the occasional short story, and I love reading, so being able to read the stories of everyone attending is enjoyable. Knowing a bit about writing certainly helps out when players need help, and I always try to help people out when they're experiencing writer’s block, which is a major issue for writers.
What kinds of tips can writers expect from your club? What is the most common piece of advice you give out?
Kat: We always tell our readers to be as descriptive as possible. Creative writing isn't just about wild ideas, it's about describing those ideas as much as you can so it places your reader INTO your story. This is especially true when describing LOCATIONS and new characters. Using the ambience around your character helps set the mood/scene, so description is always my #1 tip to give.
Daniel: Every writer has a unique mindset and that means that every story is told differently. The most common piece of advice I would give is to look for things that make you happy and include those in your writing. Trying to write about something you don't like makes things significantly more difficult, so just write what comes to mind and don't forget to enjoy it.
For those interested, when is your club hosted, and how can players participate?
Kat: The Frost Family writing club is hosted on Sundays at 11 am PST at /housing Kat_Frost. We also have a writing club discord where we announce when we are meeting.
Daniel: Writing Club is hosted every Sunday at a standard time which we have set in our own discord. If players wish to participate they can send either Kat or me a message and just stop by when we're hosting. I hope to see more people join the writing club, as it is a great way to meet fellow writers and enjoy spending time in the community.
Thank you to Kat and Daniel for your insightful responses. It is clear that a lot of work is put into the club, and it is definitely worth the spotlight. I highly recommend all players check out the club and participate in this fun, creative facet of our community. It will surely be worth the time for any writer or non-writer looking to improve.

Do you know anyone on the server that stands out (cool housing, a museum, active in RP, do something cool outside of PW, etc.)? Nominate them here for a chance to be our next Student Spotlight!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Which Class Best Fits Your Personality?
Lifestyle
Written by Silquer
Edited by maddinq

Hello dear readers, and welcome to the Lifestyle column of the Daily Diviner! Classes are an important part of Potterworld. There are so many different kinds, and it can be difficult to sift through them all to find the ones that intrigue you the most. If you’re looking to discover what your favorite class is, look no further! This quiz can guide you to choosing the right classes for the next school year. Will your personality fit into Transfiguration, Defense Against the Dark Arts, or some other class? Let’s find out!

Choose your go-to spell:
A: Animus Exto
B: Protellum
C: Orchiflora
D: Animorphus spells
E: Scribblifors

When faced with an upcoming deadline, you:
A: Forget about it
B: Ignore it
C: Finish it a few days in advance
D: Save it for the night before
E: Complete the assignment a week before it’s due

Classes are canceled; where do you go first?
A: The courtyard
B: The Quabbleball pitch
C: The Wilderness
D: The Transfiguration Courtyard
E: The library

What is your favorite magical creature?
A: Predictise
B: Dragon
C: Fluffle Puff
D: Mandrake
E: Niffly

When studying for an exam, which do you prefer?
A: An open room with plenty of space to practice spells
B: A loud environment with plenty of friends
C: A room covered in plants and good vibes
D: A cluttered room with lots of distractions
E: The library at night, when it’s quiet

A student comes up to you and asks for your homework. You:
A: Begrudgingly help them out
B: Shrug and admit you didn’t do yours either
C: Offer a sympathetic smile and sneak them the answers
D: Help each other out as you rush to do yours
E: Refuse to give them yours

The library is a place for…
A: Studying dark arts and sneaking into the Restricted Section
B: Sneaking in potion ingredients to practice brewing
C: Reading up on the different types of scurvyweed
D: Practicing transforming books into rats
E: Relentlessly poring over ancient history

Congrats on finishing the quiz! Here are the results:

If you answered mostly A, your favorite class is Defense Against the Dark Arts! This class is for the adventurous and bold who harbor a deep interest in spells and rare, dangerous magical creatures.

If you answered mostly B, your favorite class is Potions, Flying, or Dueling! All of these classes share a common theme of hands-on learning, which is exactly what you enjoy most. These classes are for the quick learners who like to put their magic skills to use.

If you answered mostly C, your favorite class is Herbology! You have a deep appreciation for plants, magical creatures, and greenhouses. Although this subject is not as flashy as the others, it is a fascinating and worthy study!

If you answered mostly D, your favorite class is Transfiguration! This class is for the experimenters and those curious about the world. Classes include learning about different spells and looking at the world through a different lens, which is what Transfiguration is all about!

Finally, if you answered mostly E, your favorite class is History of Magic! Although this subject is considered rather bland, for the trained eye, this class is full of knowledge and wisdom, which you are sure to have!

What do you think? Do your results match your expectation? I hope so! Whether it was or was not accurate to your preference, I highly recommend trying out all of the classes for yourself and seeing which ones interest you the most. Potterworld classes have a lot to offer about the magical world, and it is a fun environment to interact with others that share a similar interest. Have a great time in classes, and happy learning!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Just Like Magic
Original Works
Written by kvmw
Edited by maddinq

Dear friends,

I am in dire need of your assistance. My summer has been absolutely horrid, for I have been stuck with my aunt and uncle for the past month. Now, don’t take this the wrong way—I do love them very much—but as a result of them I have been without magic since my arrival at their place, and I am excessively bored.

Why am I without magic, you may ask? Well, you see, my mother and father are having fun (on their own!) in Japan for three months, and forbade me from bringing my wand to my aunt and uncle’s because they are 1) very Unmagical, 2) very nosy, and 3) very bad at keeping secrets. That’s a recipe for disaster, as you well know.

Perhaps I should explain why I am so bored. Imagine this: my cousins tussling over building blocks that can’t automatically arrange themselves into a structure of choice. Or daily games between my aunt and her neighborhood friends, where the cards and pieces don’t explode, or speak, or anything interesting. Or even my uncle’s garden, which he tends to every morning, despite the fact it doesn’t contain appealing plants like Bulbitursor Scoundrel’s Snare. A nightmare, isn’t it?

So I am begging for your help. One night would be enough—a reminder of the beautiful world from which I depart every summer and gleefully return to every September 1st. If you can come, bring all kinds of magical things, though I’ll leave the decision up to you. My window will be open, so do bring an extra broomstick! I don’t feel like hanging on for dear life on the back of one of yours.

Sincerely,
Millie

. . .
Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

“You can’t be serious,” Millie groaned, peering up at the sky. Though it hadn’t darkened (given that it was night, that was near-impossible), the faint edges of storm clouds had rolled into view, threatening to rain on her party. “We were just getting started!”

“Do you want to try another day, Millie?” Francis asked.

“Of course not!”

Her two friends looked at her, aghast. “What?” she demanded. “It hasn’t even started raining yet. Come on, let’s go play with those fireworks before they become unusable!”

. . .
Boom.

“That’s the loudest one yet,” Nina said, glancing up, “and it sounds very close. We should head back, Millie.”

“Just five more minutes?”

“You said that five minutes ago.”

“Fine!” Collecting the cards and shoving them into their explosion-proof case, Millie tucked the box into her pocket and stood. “I’m getting tired anyway.”

. . .
Creak.

Millie glanced up. It was dark, save for the few inches of moonlight near the window she was clambering through. But the sound had been to her right—in the direction of the door—which could be very, very bad.

After wriggling through the window, she tip-toed over to the door, quickly swung it open, and peered down the hallway. But there was no one there.

“Millie?”

Though she would have liked to say she didn’t jump, she did. With her heart racing, Millie whispered, “Damon? What are you doing here?”

Even though it was dark, she could almost hear the boy’s pout. “Where were you?”

“Did you need something?”

“Thunder made me scared.”

“Oh, fine. Come in.” Widening the crack in the door a little, she let her cousin slip in and watched him jump onto the bed and curl under the covers.

After a moment, she asked, “Do you…want to do something?”

Absolute silence.

“Um. Okay, I’m going to change into pajamas. Let me know if you need anything.”

. . .
Crack!

The sound of sobbing woke Millie from her state of half-slumber. “Damon?” She leaned over, rubbing her eyes. “Hey. I know the thunder is really scary but you have nothing to fear. I’m right here.” An idea occurred to her and she leaped out of bed. “Come on, let’s play a game!”

Searching through her laundry bin, Millie located the box she was looking for and returned to the bed, where her cousin was peeking out from below the covers. She sat down on the floor and patted the spot across from her. “Do you know how to play Speed?”

He nodded.

“Same rules as usual, but this time…” She put several cards down until one exploded into a soundless, heatless, yet colorful burst of flame. “See? It’s more exciting that way. The card on top might change before you can put yours down.”

“Whoa…” Damon said, and with that, he jumped down onto the floor.

. . .
Knock.

“Millie? Is Damon in there with you?”

She yawned. “Yeah, Aunt Ava,” she said, glancing down at her cousin, who was blinking blearily.

“Did something happen?”

“Damon got scared of the thunder. It’s all good now, though.”

Her aunt hummed. “That’s good, though I’m surprised you managed it. Damon’s always been so scared of loud noises—he once almost fell down the stairs because he heard a garbage truck.”

“Mommy!"

“Oh, I’m sorry, Damon. I forgot you don’t like that story. But Millie, you have to tell me how you managed to distract him.”

Millie made eye contact with her cousin and winked. “A magician can’t reveal all her secrets!” And when all three of them laughed and joy was sparked in her heart, she realized that perhaps, the Unmagical world wasn’t so bad after all.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Town Tours: Hogsend
Miscellaneous
Written by SnowyKitty
Edited by kvmw

Hello and welcome to our new column, where we will review towns across England, bringing to light the hidden gems of these magical communities! Respected and specialised reporters will be travelling to a new location for each issue. We’ll review what wizards deserve to know and bring attention to overlooked details.

For our first article, I went to a town every witch and wizard knows: Hogsend! The Daily Diviner offices are based in London, so I took the Hogsworth Railway from Kings Cross Station. The train was quite empty, so my ride was pleasant. I spent the journey reading Hogsend’s History and came across a particular chapter covering a competition where citizens would purposely attempt to become “Hogsend’s Most Maimed!”

Though the award was phased out decades ago, I was still apprehensive when I got off the train. However, I soon became entranced by the Hogsend Station, a smaller boarding site built in the 1800s. It houses a local inn with a charming diner and some rooms upstairs, as well as the Hogsend Post Office, which is run by 250 local owls. While looking around, I forgot myself, peeked in, and had a surprised owl fly right over my head! With my curiosity satisfied and my reading still fresh in my mind, I quickly travelled to town. I couldn’t risk reviving the contest by meeting a thestry!

As I entered the snowy town, I was hit with a bout of nostalgia. It brought me back to my days at Hogsworth; I had frequently visited in my school days, yet Hogsend is still breathtaking. With the pine forest to the east and the glow of the town, how could it not be? The kind welcomes from the community made me feel like I was coming home.

While the town atmosphere is calming under the shining stars and soft snowfall, be ready for winter weekends. I never noticed when I was younger, but the streets get packed with students. I realised my obliviousness one year when I had a particular craving for Butterbrew and met endless lines, and have since only stopped by on weekdays.

Eloise soon greeted me. She’s a poor girl who needs assistance with her broken wand. A nearby wandmaker can help; however, Eloise doesn’t like to stray from her friends. She’ll be at the town entrance if she still needs help, though hopefully, it won’t break again too soon.

After helping Eloise, I spent the day exploring Hogsend. While the town is a cosy and popular destination during the cold season, the townsfolk do not mind! Citizens of Hogsend have a knack for being friendly, and you will surely get along with everyone there. I don’t know how they do it! Even during the summer, snow still blankets the town, and I admire them for keeping the spirits up in a year-long winter.

Their shops are also incredibly enticing. Each thing caught my eye, and I kept looking for the next store to go in while adventuring. Prone to curiosity, I got lost within a few hours; each left seemed to be a right as I walked the maze-like streets, and eventually, I caught sight of an iron door. No businesses were nearby, so it was quite amiss, but I went through anyway and discovered a terrific view of the valley. The beauty quickly escaped me as I found myself with burnt trousers. I realised I was on the westside of town, outside the Hogsend Cave, where Boomslangs, infamous malicious fire-breathing snakes, live. Without a second thought, I rushed back into town.

After I found a new pair of pants, I continued exploring. I met Sara and Jaylen, a lovely couple living on the outskirts of town, who are soon to adopt! They’ve been preparing everything but haven’t been able to stop by Build-A-Plush Toyshop. They’re asking for some assistance, so be sure to stop by their house if you are interested in some plush shopping!

At the end of the day, you need to stop by the Broomstick Inn to fully experience Hogsend. After some shopping, it was a great spot to grab a bite and stay the night. As I worked on this article, I roomed upstairs for the few days I was around. I had most meals at local cafes, but the Broomstick was the best for dinners (I even spoiled myself with a Butterbrew or two each night).

Although Hogsend is a lovely little town, I give it a six out of ten. I had a nice trip, but the limited visits from school likely made it more exciting, and now the zest is gone. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go if you want a break, though, and I encourage you to find time to visit!

With that, this has been Ozzie reporting for the Daily Diviner, and I hope you have a magical day!

Status