DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Feelings Toward Avi's Trial
Feature

Written by AriaChi
Edited by Sunnya

Hello everyone and welcome back to another issue of the Daily Diviner! A few weeks ago, on February the 15th, Aviforma’s trial was held. Jack Quintin, the judge, assessed Aviforma on his three crimes; causing public disorder, conspiring against the ministry and Lauren’s assassination. Today, I’ll be interviewing Gospojken and Justin Woodlyn about Aviforma’s trial!

What were your feelings during the trial? Did anything surprise you?
Gospojken: The trial, Aviforma's trial that I took part in, gave me many feelings; I was excited, felt furiousness, and at the same time relief. It was really exciting to be at the trial as we are not often invited to trials by the Ministry of Magicians, perhaps it is because of the corruption of the Ministry that we are not invited very often... Judge Jack's arguments against Aviforma were poorly chosen by Jack, and he rather contradicted his arguments rather than trying to convince us, the Jury, that Aviforma was guilty. For instance, he said at the beginning of the trial that Aviforma knew that Chief Aurorlock Lauren was appointed and not elected, but later in the trial, he gives out a book written by Aviforma, where Aviforma states that Lauren "was not elected democratically", which strengthens that Aviforma did not know she was appointed. This is because he wrote "elected democratically" which technically means that she was elected by a smaller group of people and not just appointed to her position. I was also relieved when the Dark Followers interrupted the trial and put an end to it so that Aviforma could escape, one could hear and see that Jack was about to say that he found Aviforma as guilty, which would be incorrect, as the number of bird heads amongst the jury during the third voting was far many than the amount of Lauren heads.
Justin Woodlyn: I felt really calm and really safe while the trial and yeah some things surprised me indeed, I was very surprised that Aviforma got blamed by assassinating Lauren Strudel. His arguments were really good, so good that they convinced me that Aviforma was definitely innocent.

What did you like and dislike about the trial?
Gospojken: I really liked the number of players that took the chance to attend as the jury during the trial, and even if Jack said a few questionable things like "SILENCE BIRD" I thought it was quite funny expressions.
Justin Woodlyn: What I liked about the trial was that both sides really stood their position and tried to convince the judges that they were right. Also, it was an honor to be there and to vote for who was innocent and who was guilty in your opinion.

Did you think it was a fair trial?
Gospojken: To give a few examples of why the trial was unfair, we can mention that Jack after a little while, probably unintentionally, admitted the Daily Diviner as untruthful by saying "Yet these protests you have started are also for your own profit and far more dishonest." It is also clear that it was an unjust trial as the judge, Jack, many times hindered Aviforma to give his evidence, and also twisted Aviforma's words against him every now and then. Also, when Aviforma asked a question, the judge, Jack, decided to dodge the questions by silencing him and continued to question Aviforma instead. In addition, when Aviforma mentioned that the assassination of the Chief Aurorlock Lauren was done in the elevator at the Ministry of Magicians itself and that no Aurorlock came to rescue her, Jack dodged that fact, which truly shows the corruption of the Ministry trying to frame an innocent like Aviforma.
Justin Woodlyn: Yes I think it was a fair trial, they tried to convince the judges by words and as I know there were no unfair moments in the trial.

Do you believe Aviforma is guilty or innocent of Lauren’s assassination? Why?
Gospojken: I believe in Aviforma, and therefore that he is innocent, and after the trial, my perspective was still the same as the trial was rigged and not fair at all, also because Jack chose weak arguments and often contradicted himself, this rather resulted in my thoughts on his innocence strengthened.
Justin Woodlyn: I think Aviforma is innocent indeed, he told us that he wasn’t there at that moment and he was questioning himself why they didn’t send help to Lauren while she was being attacked. Aviforma’s arguments were really convincing and truly enough to believe.

After watching the trial, did your thoughts of Aviforma’s accusations change? How so?
Gospojken: After the trial, my perspective was still the same as the trial was rigged and not fair at all.
Justin Woodlyn: Yes. First I was on the side of the Ministry of Magic because I think they are good and following the rules that had been written by the law but since there was no evidence that Aviforma was the assassinator I really changed my mind and was more convinced about Aviforma's stories. Finally, I voted for the release of Aviforma.

Thank you to Gospojken and Justin for giving their thoughts, those were definitely interesting answers! Did you attend the trial? What did you think of it?

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Can Our Ministry Keep Us Safe?
Editorial

Written by ShaneChi
Edited by MorganChi

It is with great regret that I must welcome the readers of this article to the month of March with more focus on the unsettling events of the recent Aviforma trial, but the concerns of the wizarding community must be addressed! Up until recently, the Ministry of Magicians has stood as a trusted symbol of power and justice in the wizarding world. However, following the break-in of Dark Followers at the trial of Aviforma for the assassination of Chief Aurorlock Lauren Strudel, our faith in the organization that is our government has been greatly shaken. If an official Ministry session of justice can be infiltrated by petty criminals, can our government be trusted to keep its citizens safe? Can it even be trusted as a stable organization whatsoever? These questions and more will be answered today!

For those not up-to-speed on the trial, we shall quickly overview what has happened to cause all of this strife and discord. The Aviforma Trial was the trying of Aviforma for the supposed crime of assassinating Lauren Strudel, newly appointed Chief Aurorlock of the British Ministry of Magicians. During the trial, Dark Followers broke into the courtroom and took control of the proceedings. Their leader gave a long speech declaring that the Ministry was a corrupt entity in need of overthrowing. Afterward, the criminals and Aviforma escaped the courtroom and have not been seen since. As a result of the break-in, countless individuals have questioned the Ministry’s competence and ability to protect its citizens from criminals and terrorists.

Not for many years has the Wizarding Community been left in such a state of shock and disarray, yet here we stand amongst the smoke and rubble. With the Ministry unable to protect even their own buildings against the Dark Followers, what hope do they have of protecting institutions like Hogsworth or the homes of wizarding families? Simply put, it is presently impossible to conclude the truth at this point in time. As the Ministry has failed so far to make a proper statement on the situation, we have no means of determining where we actually stand in terms of safety. All we can hope is that our government is working hard to rectify this issue and ensure the future security and prosperity of its people. The Daily Diviner thanks its readers for lending us their attention on this matter and reminds them to stay vigilant and safe in these uncertain times.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Minigame Strategies from the Top
Games & Sports

Written & Edited by Sunnya
There are many games that you all can play on Potterworld! Each of these games has its own challenges and methods to win. The Daily Diviner has been tasked with providing you all tips and tricks for some of these minigames. You may be wondering who will be giving you these tips. Well, it's none other than the ones at the top of the all-time game leaderboards!

Bat (BlackberryBat) is currently ranked #1 in Melting Floor with 750 wins while Aria (HeyLookBunnies) is ranked #1 in Hide & Seek with 769 wins! We have talked to the two of them and asked them questions regarding their respective games. Here is what they said!

What are your favorite parts about Melting Floor and Hide & Seek?
Bat: My favorite thing about Melting Floor is the excitement and adrenaline you get from playing it. While in the game, I'm always thinking of strategies on how I'm going to defeat my opponents or tactics on how I'm going to successfully win. Just the thought of it alone gets my adrenaline pumping which wants me to win the game even more!
Aria: I definitely enjoy the community aspect of the game/striking up conversations in chat, as well as the gameplay itself. Every game is a new experience, whether it's with different players, positions, or maps.

How do you think you managed to become one of the top Melting Floor and Hide & Seek players?
Bat: Well, it took many months and weeks of practice to become one of the top Melting Floor players. I've been playing this minigame for around two years now and believe it or not, I was pretty bad at it the first time around.
Aria: I definitely played a ton of H&S during the 2017 Halloween event for tokens, which was honestly one of the main contributors to my stats.

What is your strategy?
Bat: Throughout these years, I've learned many strategies on how to win. However, my top two favorites would probably have to be to 'take out all and any form of light on a floor' or 'to set up certain traps for the opponents'. These tactics definitely help me while I play the game, which is why they are my top two favorites. Although, there are many others that I use as well.
Aria: In terms of strategy, I always take time to familiarize myself with the maps and take note of any spots that may be good for hiding in the future, or where I may expect players to hide if I become seeker.

What are your favorite maps for Melting Floor and Hide & Seek?
Bat: While I enjoy all the maps of Melting Floor, the Tower map would have to be my overall favorite!
Aria: Hmm, mine would probably be the Butterbrew map. It is one of the seasonal maps.

And there you have it! I hope that you all find hearing about Melting Floor and Hide & Seek from their top players as beneficial as I have. If you'd like to learn more about the games on Potterworld you can click here to go to our games page!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Tips & Tricks from Potterworld’s Builders!
Lifestyle

Written by Carolllyn
Edited by Polarxo

Hello witches and wizards! I’m back with another Lifestyle article. Did you know that Potterworld’s Builder Applications recently opened up? This just might be the perfect opportunity for the server’s striving builders to put their skills to test and see if they have what it takes to be a part of the Build Team. But, I would never let my readers go into the build test and application cold so, I have recruited two lovely builders to give us their tips and tricks regarding building. Please welcome Sr. Builder Dani and (newly promoted just last week) Sr. Builder Belle!

What are some tips you might give aspiring builders for their application?
Dani: Tip #1: the application is less important than your building skills. Don’t worry much about what you write about yourself. Practice being the best builder you can! Good builders started as bad builders and gained experience with practice. So, tip #2: practice! Build for fun and friends. Watch YouTube tutorials. Get a feel for filling out a plot, spacing things out, scaling a build. Tip #3: A good application showcases that you're a good team worker and willing to learn.
Belle: You don't have to be a builder that is good at everything, that's why we're on a team. It's okay if you struggle with interior design like I do, or dislike terraforming (like tons of people). If you enjoy building, apply! Please encourage other people to apply as well. From being in that position before, having someone telling me I'm a great builder gave me the confidence to apply. A single phrase could change somebody's life.

What tips & tricks would you like to share with the applicants who are taking the build test?
Dani: The most important part of a build is planning! I visualize the final product before placing a block. This mental design changes throughout the project but, it's important to have a starting point. I use references and concept art as inspiration. Searching a keyword alongside "concept art" in Google (or Bing if you're weird) will help you think outside the box. Finally, dream small. One of the biggest mistakes to make is building too large. You will struggle to fill a 100x100 castle no matter how good of a builder you are! Expand as needed - don't make 15 rooms then, decide how to fill them. Make the rooms you know you need then, add when you think of more.
Belle: To me, the most influential part of building is using odd numbers. When everything is symmetrical, and a room is 3, 5, 7, 9, etc. blocks wide, it makes everything much easier to build with. The roof, walls, windows, flooring, lighting, is easier to build having a centre block in your design. And, it is much more appealing to look at.

What is your favorite part about being a Builder or the Build Team in general?
Dani: My favourite part of the build team is building something and seeing how much players appreciate it. Comments in chat about how incredible the build is make my day and make the weeks of work worth it.
Belle: My favourite part about being on a team is the opportunity for feedback and to grow from other builders, as well as creating things the players will enjoy. Every time I build, I think about all the players that will one day see what I'm building, and hopefully appreciate it as much as I enjoyed building it.

What do you enjoy building the most?
Dani: I enjoy building secrets into the map, small nooks, and crannies, caves, hidden rooms. When I was a first-year student many years ago, I loved the feeling of magic whenever I stumbled upon a hidden secret - it felt like I was in the books and movies. I love recreating that feeling for others. I also like building locations from the Potterverse, so keep an eye out for some cool places ;)
Belle: Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. It wasn't until I joined the build team that I realized what I'm good at. When applying, I considered myself a builder that could do and enjoy everything, but during the past months, I've been drawn to terraforming/landscape design. I also enjoy building at my housing. It's fun, good practice for build tests, and helpful to get used to Potterworld’s resource pack. I have made friends this way and it's great to have people visit to provide compliments and motivation. Thank you for letting me be a part of this interview :D. I hope it inspires more people to apply.

I don’t know about you, but these answers were inspiring enough to make me consider a career change to building… but, who would write my amazing weekly articles you guys always tune in for? Well, I guess that’s not the move. Maybe you, reader, should apply to join the Build Team! Yes, use these elite tips and tricks to help you ace the build test and application. Send me a message with a book and quill via the owlery and tell me what you thought of this article! This was Carolyn Lestrange reporting for the Daily Diviner!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
The Eighth Floor
Original Works

Written by kvmw
Edited by Polarxo

“YAH! SANDARA PARK!” The sixth-year’s voice rang through the hallways, causing the students wandering to the halls to glance at him—either out of amusement or irritation, she didn’t care.

Sandara, or as she liked to be called, Dara, shoved her way through a crowd of students that had just emerged from the divination corridor. Muttering her apologies, but also giggling at the same time, she breathed a sigh of relief as she dove into a stairwell that led to an upper floor.

Hiding behind the door, she smirked as she heard the sixth-year’s voice calling out for her, trying to goad her into coming out. Many threats were made, but Dara knew they wouldn’t be carried through. If the sixth-year reported her, the teachers would find out what she had bought from them, and it was not something that was allowed in the school.

Soon afterward, the sixth-year gave up, and Dara heard him huff and stalk away. Waiting a few minutes just to be cautious, she soon peeked open the door to ensure he had left. After making sure he was, she let out a hearty laugh. “Should have realized I gave him leprechaun gold sooner,” she chuckled. “Right, I have dinner next.”

Dara was preparing to step back into the corridor when she decided she was going to explore where the stairwell she was in led. She wasn’t hungry, and she didn’t have a lot of homework, so she retreated back into the stairwell.

She walked up the winding staircase, which seemed to go on forever. The occasional small windows that lined the stairwell showed her it was darkening quickly—if the staircase did not end soon, she would leave, Dara decided.

Just a little later, as if she had been heard, the stairwell opened into a small landing. Past the landing, she could hear the sounds of music and laughter. Puzzled, she pushed a small door open and bent down to see what was going on.

Dara gasped—beyond the door, she could see tiny men prancing around. More specifically, tiny green men dressed in green clothing that looked suspiciously like leaves. Curious, she crawled through (for the door was rather short) and into the room.

Although it was small for her (she could barely stand straight, and she was a short person), she supposed to the tiny men that it was a grand ballroom. She often had to shift her head so that it was knocked against some hanging chandelier made of vine, or had to lift her foot to avoid stepping on some swinging couple.

It did not take long for the men to notice her, a five-foot-tall girl among their six-inch tall men. The music and laughter immediately stopped, and there was a great deal of muttering before a grandly-dressed man (in reality, his leaves were just adorned with more flowers) stepped in front of her.

“Welcome!” he said, in a high, reedy voice. “Do you happen to be our dinner for tonight?”

The crowd around him laughed as if it was a funny joke, but Dara was not amused. In fact, she was terrified. In a shaky voice, she said, “No, I think not. Now if you don’t mind, I think I will be going now.” And with that, she turned and crawled out of the room as fast as she could.

As soon as Dara emerged from the stairwell, she dashed to Fletcher’s office. As much as she and the caretaker despised each other, he was the person who could best help her.

She barged into his office, panting from running air staircases. “Fletcher!” she shouted, making the old man nearly jump in fright. “Tiny green men nearly tried to eat me.”

Fletcher stared at her scathingly. “This is one of your tricks, isn’t it,” he said, eyes narrowing. “I won’t believe it. You must be trying to do something else, right now, aren’t you?”

“No, really!” Dara shouted. “On the eighth floor—”

He barked a laugh. “Girl, there’s no eighth floor. Do you think I’m that stupid? Think again.” And with that, she was shoved out of the office, with one last warning to not make his life difficult.

Dara was left to ponder Fletcher’s words. There’s no eighth floor. But Dara was sure that there was, for both the Griffin common room and the divination corridor were on the seventh floor— in fact, when she asked some of the older years, they confirmed this fact.

But they also confirmed what Fletcher had said. There’s no eighth floor. Both irritated and confused, she resolved the next day to return to the eighth floor. This is why, at dinner time the next day, Dara was slipping back into the stairwell.

When she once again reached the small landing, she crawled through the door once again. The eerie silence of the place bothered her—no longer did tiny green men prance about, laughing as music played in the background.

Instead, there sat a colossal pile of gold, nearly four feet tall. Dara was lucky it was getting dark outside, or else she would have been blinded. But that was not on Dara’s mind right now—now, all that was on her mind was gold.

She could think of infinite uses for all this money. To prank some other older students, to bet on Quabbleball matches, to buy food from the Trolley lady...her hand was reaching out. But as soon as she laid a finger on the pile, she started feeling drowsy and quickly fell asleep.

When Dara awoke, she was immediately alarmed. But when her head didn’t come dangerously close to a ceiling, she realized she was no longer on the eighth floor—instead, she lay on her bed in the Griffin common room.

She immediately ran to wake her best friend, another first-year girl, up. “Mindy!” she said. “When did I get back last night?”

Her friend, blinking from having just been woken up, looked strangely at her. “You don’t remember? I was waiting for you, but you didn’t come back. You weren’t doing anything suspicious, were you?” her friend asked, peering at her.

“I wasn’t, I swear!” Dara said. “I’m sorry for waking you up, I’ve just remembered.” Mindy waved her away and buried her head back into her pillow.

A few minutes later, the first-year girl was leaping through the Fat Lady’s portrait. It took her only a few minutes to reach the Headmaster’s office, and luckily, she caught the Professor leaving the office.

“Professor Droobledore!” she called. “I have a question. Is there an eighth floor?”

He looked at her as if amused. “Did you happen to see tiny green men dancing there?”

“Yes!” Dara said eagerly. “So you know they exist! I’m not going insane!”

The headmaster laughed. “No, Dara, you’re not. But the eighth floor only appears to those who have recently tricked someone using leprechaun gold. After all, those men you saw were leprechauns. Is it safe to assume that you’ve bought something using their gold within the last few days? Maybe three or four nights ago?”

Dara’s face had turned scarlet, and she hung her head in shame. “Two nights,” she mumbled.

Droobledore’s voice was gentle but stern as he said, “Dara. Whoever you have paid with these leprechaun’s gold, return to them with what they truly deserve. You are a bright child, however mischievous, and you must not become a person who will lie for a penny. Do you understand?”

The first-year nodded her head, refusing to meet the headmaster’s eyes. “Very well then,” he said. “I will not report this to your Head of House. I believe you are missing breakfast? I have heard the house elves are preparing a wonderful batch of treacle tarts.” And with that, the headmaster smiled and began whistling as he disappeared down the staircase.

Status
Not open for further replies.