DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

TABLE OF

CONTENTS

Feature

Editorial

Server Spotlight

Lifestyle

The How-To of Potterworld Applications
Feature
Written by Silquer
Edited by littledead

Hello dear readers, and welcome to the Daily Diviner! If you are a long-time player of Potterworld, then you have surely seen our Staff members out and about on the server, helping players and completing their staff duties. Chances are, you have interacted with a Staff member at least once in your time as a player! Seeing a strong, helpful, thriving community of staff has brought many to apply to join the Staff team. If you are one of these people drawn to the Staff team, this is the right place to learn how to apply! Here are the basics of Potterworld applications.

First, there are quite a few applications currently open for all players to apply to. If you find the Staff-run interactive classes fascinating, a position in the Academics department might be for you. You can currently apply for Class Helper or Arena Squire, two positions you see all the time in day-to-day classes and challenges. If the sprawling builds in events and around the server excite you, the Build department is accepting Jr. Builder applications right now! If the Prefects and moderation pique your interest, the Community Management department has Jr. Perfect applications open for those who love moderation.

For the more tech-savvy, both the Game Design and Technology and Development departments have open applications. Take a look on the website for any that interest you! Finally, if you are a creative-driven individual, our very own Media department is the place to be. Our applications vary from Skin Arithmancers who create the lovely skins you see at events and around the map, to our 3D Arithmancers who create renders for banners, images, promotions, and much more! Of course, the Daily Diviner has our own applications open, and if you love to write with a community of fellow enthusiasts, this is the team for you!

Now that you are up-to-date with the current open applications, if you want to apply, it may seem like there are a lot of steps to go through. Don’t be too intimidated! It is all fairly simple when you break it down. First, every application has listed requirements. For example, to be Staff, most applications require applicants to be at least thirteen, and some require even older. Levels are also a requirement listed. Some applications want players to be Graduates, while others (such as Daily Diviner Writers) are more lenient.

After requirements, most applications have short answer responses. These short answers usually ask for a description of you and your experiences. This is the part of the application where you can talk about yourself, so make it count! Do your best to be detailed, thorough, and honest. Confidence is one thing, but a willingness to learn is just as important. Please keep in mind that each application is different and asks for something different on the form. If you plan on applying, here is some advice: start early! How long an application is open varies, but to answer all the questions properly, it is best to get an early start. Keep an eye out for when applications open and close! You don’t want to accidentally miss the application period.

I hope you have learned a little something about Potterworld applications. If you decide to apply for any position, I wish you well! If you do not want to apply, I hope you now have a better understanding of the process Staff members go through to join the team. Once again, Daily Diviner Writer applications are currently open, and the Arithmancer team is looking for new members. Good luck if you apply!

Comments

Status

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Celebrating Spooky Season
Editorial
Written by whoohoo
Edited by LMNJ

Hello, dear wizards and witches! Welcome to today’s Editorial article. With Halloween approaching, this article will be all about various ways you can celebrate it on Potterworld! I went around and asked multiple people how they would do this.

Most people that I asked, myself included, told me they would be editing their skin into specific outfits. Players told me they would be dressing up as their favourite cartoon characters, movie characters, actors, and even scary movie villains!

Another fun thing you can do is decorate your housing! You can achieve this by putting up banners obtained from past Halloween events, collectables, and much more. Spiderwebs are always a popular decoration block for Halloween!

In the past, a Halloween-themed event was released to celebrate the holiday. This year, that will most likely also be the case! You can attend these events for collectables, banners, heads and more. There are usually various minigames like mazes, parkour, elytra courses, and other exciting activities!

You can do all of this with your friends, which can be more fun than playing on your own. Together you can even host a skin contest at one of your housings! Another fun game is playing a Halloween-themed round of hide-and-seek. You can also host a game night in the Potterworld Discord to play on the server, watch movies, eat candy, and even go trick or treating by going to housings and asking for candy!

Classes are sometimes Halloween-themed during October. Potions will have spooky themed concoctions and Creative Writing will offer special prompts that are definitely worth writing about!

Thank all of you wonderful people for reading! My favourite parts are the classes and the Halloween event! I wish you all a great day, and I hope you have a spooky Halloween!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

The First Year Curriculum
Server Spotlight
Written by Creme_de_Creme
Edited by LMNJ

Hello, lovely readers, and welcome to the Server Spotlight column! Do you remember the last few lessons of your first year at Hogsworth? For those of you who graduated a while back, you may remember these same lessons being taught by different professors in a different way or even as something you had to learn for yourself. The Hogsworth faculty and staff assure us that they have been hard at work to update the curriculum to match the needs of its students. Intrigued, this writer investigated further. Are the current students being well-prepared for their S.M.U.G exams? Or are they being set up for failure?

In “A Future Unforetold”, you put your Divination, Charms, and Magical Career Exploration studies to the test. You need to familiarize yourself with various well-known magical careers and Charm spells you have learned throughout your first year in order to even begin your Divination journey. Reading the future can make anyone feel lost, yet if you have enough willpower, you should be able to navigate the maze of foretelling.

Unlike other magical schools, Hogsworth has its students craft their first broom rather than buy them. This is to help first year students gain an appreciation for the workmanship that goes into broom-making, as it is not an easy feat. Afterwards, the professor has you fly on the broom you made in order to help you learn the skills needed to get around. Unfortunately, many students end up breaking their brooms after crashing an exponential amount of times on the course as they figure out the mechanics of flying. While I was wary of such hands-on teaching methods, it reassured me slightly to know that the staff do keep the nurses nearby in case of an accident or injury.

The last class any Hogsworth student attends is an Astronomy class. Here, all students sit through a lecture regarding planets within our solar system. At the end, all students must be able to look through a telescope and identify each planet. If you cannot identify each planet, then you do not pass the class. This is hugely important in order to move on to your second year, so keep up with your studies!

Hogsworth has certainly changed its curriculum since I was last there, yet I would say that I am impressed with how hardworking these students are. I did not have to study or do as much in my first year, but I can see how important the work is for future years and even preparing for whichever magical career these students decide to pursue. If you have not seen these academic changes at Hogsworth yet, I highly recommend stopping by to experience the new curriculum. In the meantime, have a wonderful day! This has been Creme_de_Creme reporting for the Daily Diviner.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

'Tis the Season of Candles
Lifestyle
Written by Silquer
Edited by bluecherub

Hello dear readers, and welcome back to the Lifestyle column! Autumn is in the air at Hogsworth, and so is a chill. As the sun sets earlier and the spooky season approaches, a cold wind can be felt through the halls. To warm up and bring light to the castle after early sunsets, many students and staff turn to candles! As a candlemaker at Hogsworth, I can share my tips and tricks on candle making with a magical twist. Have you ever wondered how the candles float in the Great Hall? Listen closely, and I can tell you how.

To begin with, you will need to craft your candles. Candle making is a very simple process, one that anyone can learn and employ if they so desire. To make a wax candle at home, you will need soy wax flakes. Your Herbology professor should be able to lend you some from the greenhouse. I would get a medium-sized bowl’s worth of these. For the candle wick, you will need organic wicks. These burn safer and are much better than traditional wicks used in some candles, as those can release a potentially harmful gas.

Now, here is the fun part. To complete the composition of your candle, you will need a collection of scents. What you choose is completely up to you! If you would prefer an autumnal candle, you can add spices such as ground cinnamon or pumpkin spice seasoning. If you want to be reminded of fresh growth in spring even as the leaves fall in autumn, herbs like lavender and lemongrass will suffice. You could also use essential oils if those are more readily available to you! Finally, you will need a mason jar or some sort of mold to house your finished candle.

Once you have collected your ingredients, creating your candle is very simple. First, melt the wax in a bowl over medium-low heat. Stir the mixture occasionally as the wax melts. Eventually, it should become smooth. Then, add your chosen aromatics to the wax! Once the candle is made to your liking, it is time to make the jar. There are a few ways to secure the wick in the mold. The easiest way is to hold the wick in place by first using a thin layer of your wax, then taping the upright wick to a popsicle stick placed along the top of the jar. Then, simply pour in the remainder of your wax and let it sit for an hour or so. Once it has set, your candle is ready!

Now, for the magic. As a candlemaker, this is my favorite part. Levitation is a tricky business, but when it is executed correctly, the effect can be stunning. Take our wonderful Great Hall as an example! For your purposes, a Leviomora spell will do just fine. You can cast this spell on your candle to have it levitate in the air wherever you choose. I recommend flying your candle over your dorm room a ways above your head. You do not want to be bumping into them and tipping the open flame over! You could even catch your hair on fire— I promise you, the smell is terrible. Keep in mind that it takes a powerful magic user to make as many candles float as there are in the Great Hall. I suggest starting small with only one candle and working your way up to more. Good luck!

Equipped with your candles and Leviomora, the possibilities for decoration are limitless; your imagination will be the only thing holding you back! If you do not want to levitate your candles, you can simply place them around your room. Desks, nightstands, and drawers are excellent places for candles to burn, and if you have more than one candle, placing them in sets of three or four can have a lovely effect. Using decorative plates to catch any stray wax can even upgrade your candles! If you do want to float your candles, you could also arrange the levitating candles in strand-like patterns to imitate fairy lights. Make sure to keep your candles, wherever they might be, far from anything flammable!

I hope you learned something new about making candles. As a master candlemaker, it is my great joy to share my love of my craft with others. Please get creative and try out your own variations of these candles. Everything from the shape of the candles to the scents can be customized if you so choose. Have an enchanting autumn, students!

Status