DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Special Edition: Other World

Status
Not open for further replies.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Welcome to the Halloween edition of the Daily Diviner, dear mortals! With Halloween just around the corner, I assume that you want to visit Ashland, Oregon, right? I’m not sure why. Nothing in this area would be interesting enough… except for a single house. Many peculiar things happen here daily. Wait, that’s what you’re here for? Luckily for you, I am a trained tour guide. Come along quickly; I don’t want to be liable for anything that happens during your stay.

Upon arrival, you are greeted with a beautiful pink house stretching into the sky. The outside is just as astonishing as the inside. To your left, you can see a bunch of dark blue stands, surrounded by dead trees. Here, you can trade your Boo Bucks into different rewards like heads or banners. You can also swap them back into gold, if you wish. As you go around the back, you can see a wooden shed. If you continue, you’ll run into the skeleton of what was once a garden. Such a shame, the owners used to take good care of it.

Now that that’s out of the way, it’s time to look inside the home. Erm… there is a kitchen. Also, a dining room! Upstairs, there are a couple of bedrooms, as well. What? It’s just a normal house, what do you expect? Fine, there is one room of interest. If you enter the front door and go into the first room on the right, there is a seemingly orderly room. However, you might notice something strange about one of the walls: a trapdoor. Once you get it open and go inside, the real fun begins.

If you made it this far, welcome to the Other World. Although it might resemble what the property looked like before, if you investigate closer, you’ll realize a lot has changed. Every room has been completely redecorated with nice shades of orange. Outside, all the dead plants have suddenly come alive again, and the garden is flourishing like never before. It almost feels like a dream… or a potential nightmare.

Unfortunately, I can’t show you anything else. Why is that, you might ask? Well, I just so happen to have unfinished business to attend to. However, there are still a lot of places to explore, people to help, and Easter eggs to find. I thank everyone that made this possible and to you for tuning into the Daily Diviner. Now, I only have one more request: Have a very happy Halloween, readers!

Comments

Status

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Breaking news! Zach, better known as zachmath15, has been murdered! We are reaching out to our readers to help discover the mastermind. The Auralocks are stumped, and it’s up to you to figure out who did it. Make sure to investigate thoroughly and pick the most likely answer to the questions below. Keep track of your findings so we can determine who the criminal really is!

Determined to figure out the mystery, you start out by…
A) Preparing your pack of detective tools. Who knew they’d come in handy one day? (Hint: You did!)
B) Googling a step-by-step guide on how to investigate like a magical criminalist would.
C) Getting in touch with the Auralocks to discuss their findings.
D) Heading straight to the crime scene.

When you arrive at the scene, the first thing you notice is…
A) The poorly placed caution tape.
B) A stack of assignments Zach was working on grading.
C) The swarm of reporters that are crowding around the area.
D) The horrible state the crime scene is in.

You notice marks that look like…
A) Tiny handprints that are scattered all around the scene.
B) Claw marks that sink deep into the mud.
C) An Auralock-trained dog had been sniffing around.
D) Someone with heavy boots was stomping around carelessly.

After collecting clues, you go back to your office and…
A) Experiment with alchemy to uncover any secrets.
B) Use some magical fingerprint powder to see if you can find a lead.
C) Examine the evidence with a magical magnifying glass.
D) Use a material identification charm on your findings.

You decide to set up a detective’s board. The long, red pieces of strings connect up…
A) Several photos and scribbled notes you have collected.
B) Articles that you printed out about similar murder cases.
C) Various clues that you’re certain relate to each other in some way.
D) Discarded items that were left at the scene, including a small wand fragment.

You’ve come to a dead end. Knowing they’re sure to help out, you decide to call…
A) Lyra, the Magical Crimes Studies professor. Surely she’d know what to do next.
B) No one. If you keep staring at your findings, you’ll eventually realise something.
C) The Hogsworth Groundskeepers. They’re good at finding issues where most people wouldn’t see any.
D) Your mum. She’s the smartest person you know.

After your long day of investigating, you decide to…
A) Keep on going. There’s no time for rest!
B) Cuddle up with a soft stuffed animal and go straight to sleep.
C) Make a plan on how you’ll jump back into the project in the morning.
D) Not clean up and leave your work table as is. Getting started tomorrow will take longer if you have to get everything out again.

Now the question is, what did your findings say? The letter you picked the most will lead you to the criminal behind the case. Once the Auralocks have finished gathering everyone’s data, they will release the information of the culprit. We can expect to see our answer in late October. Make sure to come back to find out who was behind Zach’s murder…

Do you want to play your own version of Potterworld Clue? You can find a printable board and pieces here.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Hello dear readers, and welcome to a delicious Special Edition article! While wandering through the spooky Halloween event this year, you may be searching for an equally scary treat to snack on. For the purposes of spooking while snacking, I’ve compiled the perfect list of creepy-themed recipes to make your skin crawl with excitement (and perhaps a bit of fear) this Halloween season.

Let’s start with some button-shaped butter cookies. A major theme in a certain horror movie is the button, and that’s what these cookies will be themed around! For these cookies, you will need 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature, ⅔ cup granulated sugar, 1 large egg and 1 egg yolk, and 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.

With your ingredients ready, preheat your oven to 375 Fahrenheit. Whisk together flour and salt in a bowl, then, in a separate bowl with a hand mixer, mix the butter and sugar until combined. Add 1 egg and vanilla extract, then gradually pour the flour mixture. Next, divide the dough into two halves, and roll out the dough to a ¼” thick sheet. With a round cookie cutter, cut out round cookies. Beat the second egg yolk, and brush it over the cookie batter. Place the dough on a baking sheet, and bake for 10-12 minutes. After the cookies are done, take a cylinder (the bottom of a bottle or a measuring cup), and imprint the middle of the cookie so that the edges are raised. Poke four holes into the cookie, and enjoy your buttons!

Next are the “Spool of Thread” Shortbread Sandwiches! These are two shortbread cookies with a swath of colored frosting squished between them. For this recipe, you will need 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, ½ cup confectioners’ sugar, ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, and ½ teaspoon kosher salt.

As with our other cookies, we start with preheating the oven (this time to 350 Fahrenheit). In a mixer, beat the butter and vanilla extract until combined. Then add confectioners’ sugar and salt and mix. Slowly add the flour afterwards. Chill the dough for at least an hour. Use a round cookie cutter to cut the cookies, then place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through. For the frosting, cream ½ cup of unsalted butter in a mixer until fluffy. Beat in 2 cups of confectioners sugar, then 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla extract. Add 2 tablespoons of milk, mix, then add your food coloring of choice. Pipe the frosting in-between two cookies, and enjoy your spool of thread!

The final recipe is a scrumptious blueberry milkshake! Channel a moody Halloween night with the blue color of this shake. For this, you will need 2 cups all-natural vanilla ice cream, 2 cups of frozen blueberries, 2 cups of milk, and 1 tablespoon of honey. The instructions are easy! Simply put all of the ingredients into a blender and mix until smooth. This drink is best served cold while trick-or-treating. Enjoy your blueberry milkshake and try not to think about creepy night skies in mirror worlds!

Which was your favorite recipe? Mine is the “spool of thread” since it’s both creepy and delicious! I highly encourage you to try these recipes out on your own and come up with some variations. Happy trick-or-treating out there with your yummy treats!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Hello lovely readers and welcome to a very special edition of the Daily Diviner. This time of year is full of fall colors and the smell of pumpkin, but it’s also full of haunted houses! Have you ever wondered if you’d make it out of a haunted house with lead staff members? Well, now is the time to find out!

When something scares you, what is your first reaction?
A) Stand paralyzed, unable to move.
B) Yell and scream.
C) Run away.
D) Shake it off and keep walking; you don’t scare easily.

Now that you’ve made it into the haunted house, which room do you check first?
A) The living room.
B) The dining room.
C) The master bedroom.
D) The guest bathroom.

Which of the following scares you the most in a haunted house?
A) The sound of a little child giggling.
B) A ghost coming around the corner and scaring you.
C) The sound of a saw buzzer.
D) Someone dressed as a vampire popping out of a coffin.

Which of these candies are you eating while exploring the haunted house?
A) No candy; you’re just trying not to cry.
B) Butterfingers.
C) Snickers.
D) A good ole Baby Ruth.

Which weapon do you grab when you enter the haunted house?
A) You don’t grab anything, and you walk into the haunted house with your eyes covered.
B) You grab the nearest object and hold it like a bat, ready to swing.
C) You hold your wand out, but being scared, you don’t have a steady hand.
D) You don’t need a weapon — you were born ready for the haunted house.

Now it’s time for the results to see if you would survive with this lead staff member:

If you picked mostly A’s, you got MamaDuckie! Sadly enough, you don’t survive with them. This is because they’re too scared to even set foot in the haunted house; they give it one look and turn the other direction.

If you picked mostly B’s, you got chail3y! You two almost make it to the end, but with that ghost coming around the corner, it’s enough to send chail3y into a yelling panic, sinking to the ground until it’s over.

If you picked mostly C’s, you got trashdotcom! You almost make it out the door before trashdotcom runs the other way. One last-minute jump scare sends them back to the beginning of the haunted house, not wanting to go back in.

If you picked mostly D’s, you got Salmandingo! You two are able to complete the haunted house. Salmandingo was ready for the scares of this haunted house.

Well, that concludes our quiz today, readers. I do hope you enjoyed it! Don’t forget to tell us who you got in our quiz; I got chail3y, and to be honest, I’m there with them just curled on the floor. This has been x_Ivy reporting for a very special edition of the Daily Diviner.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

“Oh, hello there, student,” the ghost says to you as you quietly close the door behind you. “My name is Oswald, and I’m the new librarian. You know, I am a writer, and some of my books are still here. Although they’re about 130 years old, they all still feel brand new!”

As you start to back up, he puts his hand on your shoulder and smiles. “I promise you don’t need to be afraid… You know, I used to be a student, just like you. Oh, yes…I even once wrote a story about one of my experiences that shook me forever…”

You’re intrigued, so you sit down in one of the hard, leather chairs, and Oswald picks up a book from the coffee table.

“Now, where should I begin? Hmm… oh yes. I was about 16 years old and an apprentice in the library. Every day, I would come here to help students with their books. At that time, I was really into magical creatures, from the tiny pixie to the gigantic dragon.

Meanwhile, my good friend Will, who I married not too long after we graduated, became a tour guide to show first-years and parents around the school. He knew where all the secret entrances were, but he would never tell any of the guests.

One weekend, I was working in the library, and Will had to grab a few books to help him with his potions assignment. As soon as I laid eyes on him, I quickly finished working and rushed over to him. ‘Oh, hey, Oswald! What’s going on with you?’ he said while trying to fit a large textbook into his robes.

‘It’s umm… going okay. I just finished this book on magical snakes! It’s actually really interesting-’ At that point I realized I was beginning to rant, and I apologized, my face becoming redder and redder.

His smile got brighter, and he reassured me that he loved listening to my rambling. After about five minutes of chatting, he took a piece of paper out of his pocket and handed it to me. ‘A gift from me to you! Although, please read it when you’re alone.’

That night, I went back to my Common Room early because I wanted to see what Will had given me. As I opened up the clean parchment, I saw that he had given me a map of Hogsworth with all of the secrets. He also wrote a note at the bottom:

Just in case you ever wanted to get to class early

Love, Will

I tried to stay up all night, looking at each stroke of ink Will had written for me.

That’s when I heard an ear-piercing shriek.

At first, I thought that a student might have dropped something in the Common Room. However, everyone else was still asleep.

I quietly went out the door and took a couple of secret passageways that were marked on the map to the Griffin Dormitory, where Will was sleeping.

At last, I snuck my way into his dorm room and shook him awake. When he woke up, he winced. Almost telepathically, we agreed to find the source of the painful shriek once and for all.

After a few minutes of searching the dark hallways, we saw something move behind a corner. At that time, we were naive kids, and we thought it may have been another student playing detective. However, that couldn’t have been further from the truth.

The creature turned around, and we stared into its eyes… on all three heads. It was a giant, red serpent with scales going down its back. As Will was shaking in his shoes, I could identify what it was: a runespore, one of the magical world’s deadliest snakes.

We quickly hopped into a nearby secret passage with the creature hot on our tail.

Before we could properly act, it lunged at us and hit Will square in the chest. On the ground, he searched his clothes for his wand, which he found and used to cast an offensive spell, which only made it angrier. He tried to crawl backwards and transition into a run, but I grabbed his sleeve. ‘I know how to defeat it… please… follow me.’

He nodded his head and we held each other while walking backwards. We soon got to a bookshelf and immediately started to throw books at the runespore’s head. One hit after another, the creature shrieked, but couldn’t attack again without getting another storm of journals. Soon enough, it hit the floor, completely unconscious.

Remember, we were practically children, and we didn’t tell a professor when we should have. Instead, we went right back to bed, Will showing me the way back to the Raven Common Room.

The next morning, the staff did find the snake, and it was taken somewhere for closer inspection. Although we were not connected to the incident, I started to write a book about it, and Will showed the first-years secret passageways in case they were in a pickle.”

When Oswald finishes, you stare at your shoes as he tidies up the room. “Thank you again for visiting, dear student. However, I suggest that you do take my story with a grain of salt. It is just a ghost story, after all.”
txgGffn.png

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

The library seemed to be a different world at night. Empty and devoid of students, the rows of books held more shadows in them than in the daylight. On Halloween Eve, this was especially true, even more so to the three students who were studying there now.

Kieran was the only one of them left awake. Kali had already dozed off into her notebook, and Kieran could hear Koko snoring softly through their folded arms. The words on his Transfiguration notebook were beginning to blur, and he soon joined them in sleep, safe in the knowledge that the librarian would wake them when it came time to leave for their dorms.

When Kieran opened his eyes again, it was midnight. He wasn’t sure how he knew this, just that it was a certainty. The lamps of the library were lit, contrasting the inky black that consumed the view from the windows. And everything was different.

A cursory look around the library revealed that the book covers were lined with teeth. Some had eyes between sharp canines, lidless irises staring into Kieran’s. The lamps holding up the light were made of white skeletal hands that snaked up and around the bulb. It was cold; he shivered in his Raven robes.

The others roused a moment later to the same ugly sight.

“Where are we?” breathed Koko.

Neither Kieran nor Kali formed a response, for at that moment a faint metronome of footsteps began to sound from down the hall. Kieran pressed a finger to his lips, silencing their alarmed exclamations, and peeked around the bookshelf. He couldn’t see any figure to match the sound, so he motioned them forward and started walking to the Charms classroom just a few meters away.

They slipped inside the room, shutting the door behind them. But the room was already occupied. The three students froze at the sight of a professor watching them, a blank smile on their face.

“Have you come for a lesson in Transfiguration?” they asked. None of them responded. The professor began to walk towards them, but the steps were stilted, almost unbalanced, as if they were just learning how to walk.

Kieran’s heart thumped faster. This was not natural. Subtly, as the professor approached with that unwavering smile, Kieran reached out his hands to grasp Kali’s and Koko’s. Clammy hands held together, he dashed away from the path of the professor, dragging a surprised Kali and Koko with him. They made it to the door and slammed it shut, the distorted expression of the professor stamped in their minds.

They dashed through the halls, hearing steps behind them once again, and came to a painting Kieran knew to hide a secret passage. The students wasted no time in pushing it aside and crawling into the dark hole. They let go of the painting behind them and descended through the passage. Once or twice, Kieran was sure a spider brushed against his head.

The back of a painting waited at the end. They pushed it open and haphazardly fell onto the floor, which they could see now belonged to the dungeons. Yet, just as with the library, things were not right.

A line of ghosts paraded through the hall, dreary and blank-stared, drifting along a predetermined path. The students followed the line for a short while, recognizing the halls and finally the dormitory of the Serpents. They slipped inside their house common room, relieved at last to find a familiar sight. Inside was empty, save for one ghost.

They weren’t despondent, nor did they look entirely normal; but they acknowledged the students when they walked in.

“You three! What are you doing here?” they hissed.

“We were wondering about that ourselves,” replied Kali. “What happened to Hogsworth?”

“It’s been corrupted. You need to get out; you don’t belong in this world. Here,” the ghost rummaged through a pile of papers and stray books on the coffee table. They pulled out a dull hand mirror from underneath a Transfiguration book. “Use this to return.” Faint footsteps could be heard down the corridor. “Hurry!”

Kieran took it, and the students stared at their distorted reflections within. Flipping it over, they read the spell on the back. The last thing they saw was the panicked expression of the ghost and the clacking of footsteps behind them.

When Kieran opened his eyes, he was in the blessed, normal library, with no skeleton lamps to be found. The mirror was nowhere in sight. Gathering their books, the students hurried out of the library, streaking past the librarian. Halloween had lost its appeal that night.

Status