DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Special Edition: Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Welcome, readers, to Mahounoshiro! Here in Japan, we’ve started celebrating the Cherry Blossom Festivals, and we would like Hogsworth students to join us. While you’re here, you can even help us with the dog shelter. Although, you’re probably pretty lost; it has been a while since you’ve come over. Take my hand, and I’ll guide you through everything!

When you first arrive, you’ll find yourself at a small park, overflowing with cherry blossoms. If you walk around the pond, you can find people having picnics with their friends and family. I’m sure that they wouldn’t mind if you joined them! You may spot birds flitting about, but don’t panic, as they just want to hang around.

In the pond, there is a little boat that can take you to Mahounoshiro itself. When you arrive, you may hear cheerful barking, as the dog shelter is right behind you! In the courtyard, there are many helpers that can assist you with anything you need. Beyond that is the school, where you can find all the classrooms, gardens, and more!

That’s about all you need to know! While you’re here, make sure you thank everyone that’s helping out with the event. If you need any help, residents should help you find where you need to go. With all of that said, thank you for reading and have fun in South Iwo Jima!

Comments

Status

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Hello, dear readers, and welcome to another article in the Sakura Special Edition! As you explore the Spring Event, you may notice the many cherry blossom trees in full bloom around the castle. Cherry blossoms symbolize new life and rebirth, an important theme of spring. People celebrate these stunning, short-lasting blossoms in Japan with hanami, blossom-gazing. As the event is themed around these cherry blossom festivals, it is important to understand the history of this tradition and how it is celebrated in Japan in real life. Now that we are here in Japan at Mahounoshiro, let’s take a look at what these festivals are and what you can do to celebrate here on Potterworld!

It is first essential to understand the significance of cherry blossoms. The trees bloom into pink blossoms for a few short weeks in months from January to May, depending on their location. This makes them highly desirable to see, as their lifespan is a short-lived beauty. Because of their lack of longevity, cherry blossoms symbolize life and rebirth. This makes them the perfect representation of spring as life begins anew. They also symbolize death and the fleeting nature of life, reminding all who see the blossoms that life is short, beautiful, and must be treasured.

It is no wonder then that people watch the blossoms for their beauty and to celebrate the coming of spring! There is nothing more lovely than sitting and watching the falling petals. In Japan, the cherry blossoms also bloom at the start of the new school year, another reason they are admired as a reminder of fresh starts and new beginnings.

Cherry blossom festivals come in a few different forms. One of the most well-known traditions is hanami, which literally translates to “watching blossoms”. Hanami is the practice of sitting under the cherry blossom trees, usually with friends and family, and enjoying the view of the blossoms overhead. There are also many popular viewing places in Japan to see the blossoms on a scenic hike. Mt. Matsuda in Matsuda, Ueno Park in Tokyo, and Mitsuike Park in Yokohama are a few places where one can see the cherry blossoms.

To participate in these festivals, people walk trails with family and friends and set up blankets or tarps to eat and drink with one’s company under the cherry blossoms. This celebration is done with people close to you to mark the coming of spring and the appreciation of the shortness and beauty of life.

Now that you know what cherry blossom festivals are and how people can participate in them, you may be wondering: how can you respectfully participate in Potterworld? The best way to engage with any other culture’s traditions is to first learn more about the origins of the festival and be open to new information and ideas. As long as you keep this in mind, you can simply go out and enjoy everything the event offers! Exploring the event with friends or family and admiring the cherry blossoms and castle as one would in real life is a great pastime. It is also reminiscent of real-life traditions of hanami.

Finally, you should conduct your own research on cherry blossom festivals and perhaps seek out any in your area to participate in! The best way to gain a deeper understanding of a tradition is to experience it for yourself, so searching for your own reputable information is highly recommended.

I hope you’ve learned a little bit about the tradition of cherry blossom festivals and what they mean! Cherry blossoms are one of my favorite sights and always remind me of hope and happiness. Please enjoy the Spring Event and make your own opinions on cherry blossom festivals!
1680162520726.png

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
While the British Isles are home to a large variety of magical herbs, there are over half a million other plants worldwide. Herbology and Potions are elementary classes at any wizarding school, and Mahounoshiro students study aspects of magic that we cannot find at Hogsworth. Of course, you could transport ingredients overseas, but native plants are always the most potent. You might enjoy your break from classes back home, but gaining knowledge is an important skill you should never lack. Why don’t we learn more about the herbology of Japan today?

Knotgrass is a common potion ingredient worldwide, and you most likely have something made with it in your home! Without a doubt, every wizard and witch has heard of Begone-Sore-Throat Syrup or has taken it in cough drop form. While there are only a few regional differences, you can still count on this weed to have the perfect effect on anything you’re making.

Knotgrass is an invasive plant without unknown origins and has spread to almost every continent. After they’ve made themselves at home, they’re practically impossible to remove. Luckily, there have been uses found throughout the years. Aside from potions and culinary dishes, they can be paired well with farming. Not only can they help hold water in the ground, but due to their expansive root network, they can lead to sturdier soil and prevent erosion. Japanese knotgrass is often used with beekeeping, allowing hives easy access to hundreds of flowers from June to October.

Our native knotgrass settles at a height between 50 to 60 centimetres, but Japan’s can grow up to 4 metres. This calls for different harvesting methods, but the potency is all the same. Japanese knotgrass has the same rapid growth as any other and is an essential plant in any magical greenhouse. The only thing to watch for is its bitterness, which is slightly more noticeable than in other regions.

Cherry blossoms are on everyone’s mind, but did you know they have multiple magical properties? While unknown to most, Japanese cherry blossoms are not traditional cherry trees. These trees are called Japanese Sakuras or ornamental cherry trees. Their flowers start as soft white and grow into beautiful pinks over the span of two weeks. They most commonly bloom from March to April.

The sakura viewing tradition started in the Nara period, during the 700s CE. Since then, cherry blossoms have planted themselves in Japanese culture, resulting in folktales and a variety of arts. For example, in poetry, the Japanese word for flower, hana, almost always means cherry blossoms. Their admiration has spread worldwide, and they are adored by western culture.

The wizarding community values them just as much, as they often have their trees placed under an Environment-Replacer spell. The blossoms are used in medical, beauty, and love potions. The bark rarely comes up in magical recipes, but it is unfathomable bad luck to cut cherry blossom trees down. The bark can be lethal when mishandled and has Ministry restrictions on its use and care.

Bleeding hearts are a beautiful flowering bush native to Southeast Asia and North America. They range in colours from white to red with an appearance of hearts “dripping” blood. While it is an excellent plant for your garden, it has dangerous effects. Unlike the name suggests, adding bleeding hearts to your potions won’t help with love but turn them poisonous. Even on their own, they are not to be consumed. Because of this, prepping the ingredients is essential for potions. The drinker will be hospitalised if any bit of the stem is added to the brew.

At the Daily Diviner, we try our best to avoid ill topics, but this tidbit is essential to highlighting the dangers of bleeding hearts. The most well-known potion using bleeding hearts is the Recidivus Potion. It was invented in 1884 by Angela Meila as a weapon to use against her sister. Though harmful, it impressively cancels effects from any anti-poison, along with the Renervo spell.

Herbology is a big part of the wizarding world, and it’s essential to stay updated on recent findings and potential dangers you could come across. While this is a quick crash course in a few native Japanese plants, we implore you to contact the Mahounoshiro Herbology professor. This is a fantastic time to experiment and learn, so don’t miss out on your chance!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Cherry blossom season at Mahounoshiro is one unlike any other. Hogsworth lacks the ornamental cherry trees that adore this Japanese school, and we’re lucky to be treated to such sights during our visit. Students and alums alike can agree that the pink and white blossoms that dot the trees are gorgeous. With so many courtyards expanding the Mahounoshiro campus and the delightful warmth of the spring air, no one can resist a picnic under the bright blue skies. Japanese cuisine is unlike our British food, so what exactly should you pack for your future picnics?

Rice balls are the perfect catch-all for any Japanese meal. They’re excellent at any temperature and time throughout the year and are easy to make. You’ll need sushi rice, which is stickier than regular rice, and nori seaweed wraps.

With just two ingredients, the recipe is pretty straightforward! You only need to shape the sushi into isosceles triangles and plant a strip of nori wrap on the base.

While that’s the basic recipe, there are many ways to spice it up! You can add seasoning, filling, or barbeque it! They don’t need to be triangles, either! You can shape them into anything from stars to animals. What kind of twists can you come up with?

Japanese fruit sandwiches are a wonderful delight, picnic or not! They’re easy to make with magic or in an Unmagical kitchen. They're as simple as they sound if you don’t know what they are! It’s a sweet sandwich with whipped cream and fruit.

Traditionally, you’ll want to use cloud bread, which is a soft and airy bread. However, it’s hard to find in a bakery outside of Japan, so any cake or white bread also works.

You’ll first want to place your fruit onto the bread slices. When prepared, fruit sandwiches will be cut down the middle of the fruits you include, so it’s best to use symmetrical fruit. These can be anything from strawberries and blueberries to oranges and peaches. Whatever you’re craving will make the perfect filling!

After aligning everything just right, you’ll add whipped cream. While store-bought is fine and dandy, I prefer homemade! You’ll need 1 cup of cold heavy cream, 2 Tablespoons of confectioners’ sugar, and ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract. You’ll need to throw this all into a mixing bowl and mix on medium-high for a few minutes. The perfect whipped cream will be light and fluffy but not runny.

Once you’ve finished your sandwiches, you’ll wrap them in plastic wrap and place them in the refrigerator. Take it from me; if you don’t let the whipped cream solidify with the sandwich, keeping it all together will be challenging. Once they’re ready, all you need to do is cut and serve!

I hear you – I’m not much of a cook. Do not fret! Japanese convenience stores are stuffed full of delicious snacks. If you want to keep in theme with the cherry blossom spirit, sakuranbo jellies are perfect for you! Ornamental cherries, or sakuranbo, are surrounded by cherry blossom-flavoured jelly. If you’re not into cherries, anything matcha is a must-have in Japan. Matcha is a unique blend of green tea leaves, and it’s hard not to find a matcha-flavoured treat when shopping.

Just thinking about all of this food is making me hungry! As soon as I can, I’ll pick up some treats from the Mahounoshiro kitchens and spend my meals outside whenever possible. I believe a lovingly stitched picnic blanket is calling my name! I hope you all can join me as I put my mediocre chef skills to work. It’ll sure be a magical experience!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Hello, rosy readers! Welcome to this article of the Daily Diviner's Sakura Special Edition. Spring has arrived, and the cherry blossoms are blooming at the Mahounoshiro School of Magic. What better way to get in the seasonal spirit than finding out what type of flower you are? In this floral quiz, you'll just have to answer some spring-themed questions to find out where you stand in a garden bed! Let's get started.

Spring is finally here! Which of these activities would you like to do the most?
A: Plant a garden
B: Climb a tree
C: Look for four-leaf clovers
D: Skip stones across a pond

You and your friends are at the playground. What is the first thing you want to do?
A: Go on the swings
B: Slide down the slides
C: Climb the monkey bars
D: Play Hide-and-Seek with your friends around the playground

After playing at the playground, it's time to go home. What are you doing once indoors?
A: Watching a new movie or show
B: Reading a book
C: Doing an art project
D: Learning to crochet or bake

After dinner, you decide to take a walk. Where's the perfect walking location?
A: In the park
B: Through the woods
C: On the beach
D: Through the streets of your town

A friend wants to hang out. What are you doing with them?
A: Going on a hike
B: Stargazing at night and pointing out the constellations
C: Going on a bike ride
D: Playing a board game

You and your friend decide to go somewhere. Which of these sounds the most fun?
A: Going to the library
B: Going to an animal shelter
C: Visiting a petting zoo
D: Going to a baseball game

You decide to bake something. What are you baking?
A: A cake
B: Cookies
C: Brownies
D: Bread

It is raining outside. What are you going to do?
A: Look at the rain through your window
B: Read a book or write one
C: Dance in the rain
D: Jump in puddles

You and some of your friends decide to go on a road trip. Where are you all going?
A: A city you have never been before
B: Just driving and going to wherever you guys end up
C: An amusement park
D: One museum (or even multiple ones!)

Last but not least, you are sitting outside in the sun. What are you doing?
A: Writing a poem
B: Learning to make a wooden birdhouse
C: Talking with your friends underneath a tree
D: Watching the clouds with your friends and telling each other what you see

Answers:

If you got mostly A’s, you are a dahlia! This flower stands for beauty, commitment, dignity, and kindness. These flowers are often gifted to brighten someone’s day when they are stressed out.

If you got mostly B’s, you are a rose! This flower is a symbol of love and passion. It has been used for thousands of years to convey messages without words. Roses are the most well-known flower for love and are associated by the Greeks with Aphrodite.

If you got mostly C’s, you are a blue orchid! Blue orchids symbolise rarity, uniqueness, beauty, and spirituality. You would give them to someone when you believe they are beautiful in their own special way.

If you got mostly D’s, you are a sunflower! Sunflowers symbolise loyalty and adoration due to the myth of Clytie and Apollo. Since the flower is associated with the sun, they are well-known for being a happy flower and the perfect summer flower delivery to brighten someone’s mood!

Thank you all for reading and taking this quiz! I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed making it! Tune in next time for the Daily Diviner, and have a great time at the Spring Event.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Dressed in the official Hogsworth robes, a student hastily walked through a rough crowd, agitation evident on her face. She noticed her friends up ahead and bee-lined toward them. “What’s up, Sofia?” One of the girls chimed in, sensing the girl’s mood right away.

“That crowd was so unnecessarily rough. I got shoved like five times. I mean, seriously, can’t they watch where they’re going? Where are people even trying to get to in such a hurry?” Sofia questioned while brushing off the dirt that people had been kicking up.

Mariah, one of Sofia’s friends, was the first to speak up. “Um, I heard there was a big picnic area that loads of people were trying to reach. I went and looked at it. I thought it was pretty cute.”

“Oh yeah, and the place a ton of people are heading towards is the Adoption Center for dogs.” Emily, another of Sofia’s friends, pointed out while watching everyone file toward the building.

Sofia’s gaze flicked towards Emily, “Where is it? The Adoption Center?” As soon as Emily pointed toward the shuffling crowd, Sofia was off.

Sofia fought to get through the rough crowd, and eventually, once the line was shorter, she got into the building. She followed the signs that read “Adoption Pen” and gasped at the sight. There must have been a dozen adorable dogs bounding through the room!

“If you’d like to sit down and play with them, that’s fine.” One of the workers said discreetly to Sofia. Sofia wasn’t sure if the worker was allowed to let her do this, but she agreed anyway. Who would pass on the offer to play with a bunch of dogs?

The worker let Sofia into the pen and walked away to leave her with the dogs. Just as she sat on the ground, she was bombarded with pups, jumping and yipping excitedly.

Sofia was overcome with an overwhelming sense of happiness. She continued to play with the dogs until a specific puppy caught her eye. It had long fur and a golden coat. It didn’t take long for Sofia to realize that this puppy was a Golden Retriever- her favorite breed of dog.

The puppy ran over to Sofia once the other dogs had calmed and jumped in her lap, excited to have its turn to play with the girl. The Golden Retriever barked at Sofia happily, and Sofia gasped. She pet the puppy, and it soon became very clear that she was going to be taking this puppy home with her.

Sofia got up hastily and went to find a worker with the puppy in her arms. There was no way Sofia was going to leave that puppy in the pen for other people to try and adopt. Soon enough, Sofia’s eyes landed on the worker that let her into the pen in the first place, and Sofia asked politely, “Where do I go to adopt him?”

The worker’s gaze shifted upwards, and he pointed toward the counter, “You can verify the adoption over there.” Sofia nodded and shuffled to the counter.

“Hi! Are you looking to adopt that puppy?” The person at the counter asked Sofia expectantly, and Sofia nodded eagerly. The worker began preparing the paperwork, which Sofia signed immediately.

Once the adoption had been accepted and verified, Sofia headed back toward her friend group. When she was within eyesight of the group, she quickly noticed that they were already looking at her knowingly.

“What are you naming it?” Emily asked expectantly.

“I was thinking about Tucker. What do you guys think?” Sofia asked the group of girls. They all smiled and grabbed Tucker from Sofia’s arms before pampering him with hugs.
1680163769071.png

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
A brunette woman, known by her friends and family as Bianca Jackson, walks into the long line of festival stands. The Cherry Blossom Festival is in full swing as the woman arrives. She has only two goals in mind: interviewing Kevin and having fun.

She had travelled for a while to get to the festival and was very excited to go. She’d heard amazing things about former festivals and knew she would not be disappointed if she went.

Then she heard about the dog adoption shelter and was instantly intrigued to write a small article for the newspaper she works for. Especially when she heard the famous Kevin was volunteering for that same shelter, she knew she had to interview him.

The only problem was that she wasn’t sure what kind of dog Kevin was. From what she’d heard, Bianca assumed he was a Shiba Inu, so that is what she decided to look out for. If all came to worst, she would just ask people if they knew who Kevin was.

The brunette travels through the aisles of stalls, looking at each one of them she passes. Maybe she could find something to buy while here. The idea of finding an item to take home, a souvenir of some kind, made her smile. It is something she always did when travelling to write articles.

Bianca stopped by a few stalls to buy some items: pins, a hat, a scarf, a shirt, a notepad, and more. Most items she safely puts in her bag, so she won’t have to carry them the whole time. It’d be hard to write down an interview if her hands were full.

After a while of walking down the stalls, she spots the dog adoption shelter in the distance. Her pace quickens as she is excited to go. While walking, she reaches into her bag, pulling out a magical device. It translates the barks and other noises of a dog into actual words. It is the device for those who want to talk to a dog like it is a human.

Her eyes scan the shelter, seeing all kinds of dogs as she turns the device on. It quickly starts translating barks, which sound to her like most dogs having a normal conversation.

She spots a Shiba Inu barking at a wizard, one that is clearly not understanding that the dog wants to be left alone. She rushes over, her translation device turning the dog’s barks into “please leave me alone,” making the wizard frown in confusion before walking off. The dog turns to Bianca, who happily smiles at it.

“Hello! You must be Kevin! Could I ask you some questions for an interview?” Bianca hears a bark before the translator speaks up with a small “yes.” It makes the smile on the woman’s face grow even brighter.

Unbeknownst to her, she is talking to the wrong dog. From afar, Kevin looks at the woman in confusion. Why is she interviewing a random dog? Kevin snickers in amusement and watches the scene play out in front of him.

It doesn’t take long for the translator to glitch, causing Bianca to get confused at some answers she is getting until she realises that it might be broken. The dog in front of her is practically laughing at her as it answers her questions about him being Kevin. He's realised her mistake before she has.

“I am not Kevin, woman. Kevin is the dog over there.” This time it transcribes clearly through the translator. Bianca follows the dog's line of sight. She flushes red, mortified at her mistake.

“Oh my! I am so sorry for this.” Bianca quickly apologises, trying to end the conversation as soon as possible. The dog in front of her walks off, and she quickly puts her translation device into her bag before making eye contact with the real Kevin. Her face flushes red once again before she runs out of the dog shelter, pushing past crowds of people in humiliation.

I will go back later… That was the most embarrassing thing I have ever done… Oh my Merlin…

Status