DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

A /duel mechanic

TOMAHAWK1907

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: TOMAHAWK1907
Auralock Griffin Vampire
While flying around doing quests, I realized that dueling was only really possible in class, as the 1v1 minigame doesn't really get that much action. I thought that maybe a /duel mechanic might be nice, where you send an invite to another player via /duel <username> and they can either accept or deny it it with /duel accept/deny. It would make the world seem a bit more real as duels between rival houses/Auralocks vs Dark followers/vampires vs werewolves likely would be common. Possibly some xp gain upon a victory, but nothing major. On par with killing a few mobs maybe. It would add some life to the world and another benefit/aspect to the available roles. Especially if they could happen anywhere in the world, so if an auralock comes across a dark follower while questing, they can challenge them to a duel. Of course, this should be subject to a cooldown so you don't spam duels, but I believe it could add a little pizazz to the current roles.

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
I like this idea. Also, most people duel in the great hall arena so you should look there if you ever want to duel

TOMAHAWK1907

New Magician
Auralock Griffin Vampire
I like this idea. Also, most people duel in the great hall arena so you should look there if you ever want to duel
See every time I go there, its empty. Like, it makes sense from a school standpoint to have the duels take place there but since the roles are active in both the RP and normal worlds, I think dueling in the normal worlds would be a fun aspect.

EdenLovesMommy

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: EdenLovesMommy
Auralock Dark Follower Raven
While flying around doing quests, I realized that dueling was only really possible in class, as the 1v1 minigame doesn't really get that much action. I thought that maybe a /duel mechanic might be nice, where you send an invite to another player via /duel <username> and they can either accept or deny it it with /duel accept/deny. It would make the world seem a bit more real as duels between rival houses/Auralocks vs Dark followers/vampires vs werewolves likely would be common. Possibly some xp gain upon a victory, but nothing major. On par with killing a few mobs maybe. It would add some life to the world and another benefit/aspect to the available roles. Especially if they could happen anywhere in the world, so if an auralock comes across a dark follower while questing, they can challenge them to a duel. Of course, this should be subject to a cooldown so you don't spam duels, but I believe it could add a little pizazz to the current roles.
Ok so there are dueling halls I’m not sure I’d you know that BUT. Being able to /duel anywhere in the world would be SO COOL. Me and nebular would be goin crazy in the courtyards please implement @staff

TOMAHAWK1907

New Magician
Auralock Griffin Vampire
Ok so there are dueling halls I’m not sure I’d you know that BUT. Being able to /duel anywhere in the world would be SO COOL. Me and nebular would be goin crazy in the courtyards please implement @staff
I do know about the dueling halls, but they also seem to be relatively empty. Yesterday was the first time in a while I've seen it active, and even then it was a relatively closed event, some preorganized thing from Serpent house.

Jae ⊹₊ ⋆

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: xMye
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Lore Master SPEW Lead Arena Master Lead
Hello @TOMAHAWK1907! Thank you for your suggestion!

However, a similar thread to adding a duelling command, has already been made and been accepted! You can see the response here. As for PVP in the open world, unfortunately that suggestion has been declined previous. You can find our reasoning as to why here.

I'm now going to move this thread to duplicates. The Poltergeist team still thank you for making this suggestion nevertheless and hope you have a wonderful day:serpent:

Last edited:

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
However, a similar thread to adding a duelling command, has already been made and been accepted! You can see the response here. As for PVP in the open world, unfortunately that suggestion has been declined previous. You can find our reasoning as to why here.
The first suggestion linked is about adding /duel command that automatically queues two people and puts them into a separate world for dueling.
The second linked suggestion talks about creating a new, separate world for PVP only and not about "PVP in open world"

This suggestion covers a /duel command that would allow two players to challenge each other anywhere in the already existing world.

TLDR suggestions:
1. - /duel command that queues two players into an arena
2. - Separate new world for PVP only
3. (This)- /duel command that allows duelling anywhere in the open-world

Are you guys sure all 3 of those suggestions are that similar, for this to be marked as duplicate ?

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Minecraft IGN: MattyPoltergeist
Serpent Werewolf
The first suggestion linked is about adding /duel command that automatically queues two people and puts them into a separate world for dueling.
The second linked suggestion talks about creating a new, separate world for PVP only and not about "PVP in open world"

This suggestion covers a /duel command that would allow two players to challenge each other anywhere in the already existing world.

TLDR suggestions:
1. - /duel command that queues two players into an arena
2. - Separate new world for PVP only
3. (This)- /duel command that allows duelling anywhere in the open-world

Are you guys sure all 3 of those suggestions are that similar, for this to be marked as duplicate ?
Yeah, I don't really see how they came to the conclusion of these three being similar but there are indeed suggestions which DO bring up this idea, the original one is here: https://potterworldmc.com/threads/challenge-for-duel-emote.6052/
Which despite being marked as 'On-Hold', they said was too messy to implement, (without really any further information) soooo idk but I honestly think that either way the idea itself is really beneficial

KipxSateee

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: KipxSateee
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Raven SPEW Sr. Poltergeist
Hii everyone,

Thank you for giving your input. We value that you respond to the thread and ask for clarification because it allows us to explain why we have chosen to mark this as a duplicate. We apologize for any confusion that may have been caused by our official response. I hope I can provide some clarification.

We have already reviewed some suggestions which may have overlapped with each other. We have accepted a duel challenge emote in the thread Matty mentioned but chose not to implement the open-world concept because we determined it would be too messy. It was suggested to allow players to duel everywhere. This would include lots of locations, such as towns, where we feel that might interfere with players playing through quests or exploring because we want them to be unaffected by players choosing to duel. For this specific reason, we had created the Duelling Halls.

Because we recognize that players would still want to duel in the world instead of in the Duelling Halls, we have accepted this suggestion that would allow players to duel specifically in the wilderness. While mentioned that we have other items with a higher priority, we wish to implement this in the future.

Adding a world where PvP would always be enabled has also been suggested, where this is not something we envisioned. This is indeed a separate suggestion from the others but includes a similar concept. It is important to note that not all players want to participate in duels, where we also want to use our resources efficiently. The proposal was to create a new world where PvP was always enabled, where we would rather include more possibilities in the already existing worlds.

For players that do not want to duel in the world or in the Duelling Halls, the 1v1 arena minigame is a great alternative. We have also received a suggestion where an /duel mechanic was proposed and although Pankakes is right that these are two separate proposals since it was mentioned for the 1v1 arena, I hope this shows we look at several perspectives to make possibilities more accessible to the duelling community. That is why we have added that thread.

Overall, we're really glad that you reached out and asked for clarification. I hope this provides some clarity in what we have planned, why we have made certain decisions and what we reviewed in which thread.

Please reach out if any questions or comments arise. :)

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
Overall, we're really glad that you reached out and asked for clarification. I hope this provides some clarity in what we have planned, why we have made certain decisions and what we reviewed in which thread.
It definitely does, especially this part:
Because we recognize that players would still want to duel in the world instead of in the Duelling Halls, we have accepted this suggestion that would allow players to duel specifically in the wilderness. While mentioned that we have other items with a higher priority, we wish to implement this in the future.
Thanks a lot :)

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Minecraft IGN: MattyPoltergeist
Serpent Werewolf
But what I don't understand is how the suggestion here:
https://potterworldmc.com/threads/challenge-for-duel-emote.6052/
interferes at all with general players who are doing quests in towns. The two players would be consenting to the duel and it would only last for a short period of time, so how can this possibly be deemed as messy in relation to its logistics? I see it as being MUCH less messy than the suggestion that WAS actually accepted.
Thanks, hoping for a reply.