DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

A possible way to bring some store items back (kind of)?

Sirje_Wildmoon

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: AstralFae
Dark Follower Serpent
Ok so, inspired by another suggestion on Dragon pets... here are just some ideas whilst they're in my head about how we may be able to get around copyright and bring back some items, whilst making them hopefully different enough that WB or whomever doesn't come after the server. I understand completely if it's not worth the risk, however. But I just ache to see some things return.

First off... Motorcycle Appearance.

We all know it had to be removed for copyright. Which is fair enough.

Thing is... WB can't claim copyright on every single motorbike in the world. Sure they can on the particular one with the sidecar as it's recognizable to the HP series (rip to anyone who has that bike model and sidecar irl I guess...) but to claim copyright on every motorbike is unreasonable.. even if it flies. Flying cars and other vehicles existed before HP, I'm sure, so...

Or so my opinion is, I'm not entirely sure really. Either way, the idea is that it would be a flying old school motorbike, only this time, without the sidecar. (Old School motorcycle are just so much nicer and better aesthetically) It's not unreasonable within Potterworld lore that a witch or wizard may decide to make a bike fly, right?

(and yes, I am learning to ride a motorcycle atm so I'd love to see it xD)

Second idea: The "Thestry"

Ok so... I suppose Thestrals are unique enough in their appearance/name etc, and the fact they actually are an original creation (afaik) so no, these won't come back exactly but why can we not just create something similar? Various winged horses have existed throughout mythology, much like the pegasus (which I do believe we have) so why do we not simply have a black/demonic/skeletal/bat variant of a pegasus? Can't claim copyright on a pre-existing mythological creature, WB. Or a creation of Potterworld own!

Third Idea: Dragons

As I wrote in Whoohoo's thread, Dragons are mythological creatures, rooted in dozens of different cultures, for them to be copyrighted is absurd.... well, the ones created by JK or by other media, such as the Midnight and Violet dragons (I have my Spyro still and I'm forever glad though >.>) are copyrighted, but generic dragons are not, and as I say, new dragon species could be "invented".

Fourth Idea: Flying Car

Of course, we can't use the Ford Anglia, it's too recognizable, but c'mon.. haven't flying cars been a staple in dozens of futuristic media? Though if we did have another flying car, I think a flying Mini Cooper (original "vintage" type) would look quite nice. Though a car like The Jetsons would also be pretty cool!

That's it for now, the ones that came to mind more than any else atm. x3

Lynn

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Mireiia
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire
Heya @Sirje_Wildmoon !

Thank you for bringing up this suggestion! I would also personally love to see some of these items return to the store! As you've also stated, these items would of course have to be altered to not be copyrighted, but I do like the replacements you've thought of! The dragon pets have already been suggested previously and that thread has been accepted and put on-hold! You can view that one here (the recent store releases also include dragon-related items!). I will definitely bring the other suggestions up to the Poltergeist team so we can get more opinions on it and discuss it! I will let you know once we've received a decision, so I definitely suggest keeping an eye on this thread!

Thank you once again and I hope you have a wonderful day!!

Lynn

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Mireiia
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire
Hey hey @Sirje_Wildmoon !

As much as I liked this suggestion, I unfortunately have to let you know it has been declined. Adding a motorbike and flying car back to the store can have a resemblance to the movies and we want to avoid Warner Brothers confronting us about the items, which is why those will not be added back. Furthermore, the past store items were popular due to the association with the Harry Potter films and we're afraid that by adding a different style, it may not appeal to the player base as much. As for the Thestry, we will not be adding it back due to its similarity to the Harry Potter lore and we don't want to take the risk. However, a dragon pet (the Jade Dragon Pet, along with the warp key and the broom mount) has been added to the store!

Thank you once again for suggesting this, I really liked your ideas! I hope you still have a wonderful day!