DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

A semi-balanced change to Fortificus

Should a change happen to Fortificus?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Yes, but something other than this.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Magma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: MagmaC4
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Fortificus is pretty much used by everyone and its one the the essential factors to winning a duel. The reason why everyone uses it is because it's super overpowered. If you can your manipulate gear set's defense cooldown reduction a bit you can easily get -30% to -50% cooldown reduction. And if you have 3 points in Fortificus you could have it constantly on with only like a 4 second delay between each cast. This is currently what the entire dueling community is doing right now. The only counter to this is Recanto which has double the cooldown and is only really useful if you have points in it. The reason why a majority of people include the Jinx tree in their set is because of Recanto's usefulness, or really necessity, in a duel. Everyone's spell tree is pretty much the same structure with a handful of points that are changed between players.

A change needs to happen to Fortificus, even if my suggestion gets declined I want staff to keep that in mind.

My idea gets inspiration from the Witcher 3 game. In that game theres a "sign" (like a spell) that you can cast where the player has a magical shield that lasts for a period of time, or until a certain damage threshold gets filled and it breaks. This way the player isn't an invulnerable demi-god for the time its up. There's still a possibly of the shield failing them. I think that Fortificus should have that threshold where it breaks after a certain amount of damage is taken . I was thinking after around 2k is dealt to the player with Fortificus is on it breaks. The actual amount doesn't have to be that its just a number to wrap your head around the idea.

I think this change is balanced in that it doesn't nerf the spell to all hell where it never gets used again, but there's enough space where players can change a few spells here and there without feeling like they're sacrificing their win condition. Honestly this might not even change the amount of people that use Fortificus, but its a baby step. This change's main effect will probably be allowing other trees like Curses or Transfiguration to be viable without having to sacrifice points in Jinx for Recanto.

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
"A change needs to happen to Fortificus, even if my suggestion gets declined I want staff to keep that in mind." -I agree. The official magic plugin has a spell called "Roll-back" and if I'm not wrong, that spell is like Recanto, the only difference is that its more of a AOE spell. If Recanto worked like that, it would be way easier to hit someone, and with that fortificus would indirectly be nerfed. Also I think that the cooldown on Recanto is pretty long considering that you dont need it just for fortifius, but for healing spells as well.

Magma

Animorphus
"A change needs to happen to Fortificus, even if my suggestion gets declined I want staff to keep that in mind." -I agree. The official magic plugin has a spell called "Roll-back" and if I'm not wrong, that spell is like Recanto, the only difference is that its more of a AOE spell. If Recanto worked like that, it would be way easier to hit someone, and with that fortificus would indirectly be nerfed.
This just buffs Recanto, which in turn will just be more reason for people to go into the Jinx tree. I get that players need to invest their points strategically but its a problem when the entire dueling community runs Jinx because of Recanto being the only counter to Fortificus. The main reason for this thread being created was because I wanted to see variety in dueling. Everyone has the same structure and this will just reinforce that. And I don't it to be easier to remove someone's Fortificus, that will just lower the skill ceiling even more. The damage threshold still requires you to hit your spells.

tilllyy

Notable Magician
Staff
Minecraft IGN: tillquila
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
Yes I think this is needed, or something similar. At the moment Fortifius is essential in a duel, without it, nearly every level 80 graduate can get killed with two to three spells, but with it, and such a low cool down duels really do come down to whether or not you can hit two spells in a row when your opponent does not have Fortifius enabled. It's part of a much larger issue at the moment with gear and the overall damage in dueling which I feel needs to be addressed as well.

Last edited:

Salmandingo

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Salmandingo
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
Fortifius*

but yes I agree with Tilly on this one, you can get 2-3 shotted and nerfing fortifius will make duels end much quicker than they already do

Magma

Animorphus
oh my god i've been saying it wrong since 2018

but yes I agree with Tilly on this one, you can get 2-3 shotted and nerfing fortifius will make duels end much quicker than they already do
Think about it. How many damage spells do you have? The spells that you actually invest in just for the sake of damage, not stuff like Propulso. Its probably around 2 - 4. Those are the spells that you would cast on someone to knock down their Fortifius. Then those spells would all put on cooldown. It's not an instant counter like Recanto is. Fortifius being canceled from damage is meant to keep your opponent on the defensive side instead of just going in if you miss your Recanto or just don't have it. I want other spell trees to have a chance, not just Jinx. I agree that this isn't going to be the solution to all problems that plague dueling right now. Damage definitely needs to be decreased. But like I said in the original post, there are baby steps we need to take in order to slowly improve. To reduce damage gear needs to be completely reworked. A new Head of Systems just got hired and I don't know how long that is going to take. I don't even know if they're aware of the problem.

Last edited:

Salmandingo

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Salmandingo
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
I was thinking after around 2k is dealt to the player with Fortificus is on it breaks.
I think I can agree with this part though, but perhaps instead of damage we could make it so that 2 hits are enough to knock it out regardless of what spell you use? Cuz for lower years 2k damage would be impossible to reach

Magma

Animorphus
I think I can agree with this part though, but perhaps instead of damage we could make it so that 2 hits are enough to knock it out regardless of what spell you use? Cuz for lower years 2k damage would be impossible to reach
Didn't think about that part. I don't think that it could be any spell or else you would just save your damage spells until after you knock down their Fortifius. Maybe it could break after 20% of the target's total health is dealt. There are probably other better ideas but I can't think of one rn.

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Hello, @Magma!

Thank you for taking the time and consideration to create your suggestion! I’ll bring it up to the staff team and send a response to you as soon as possible!

Have a great day!

Nives

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: annivelation
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Vampire Werewolf Sr. Poltergeist
Heya @Magma !

Thank you for creating this suggestion! After careful consideration we have decided to accept this suggestion! We agree that this suggestion could be good to introduce to the server as we like the basis of the idea. For now we will be placing this idea on hold as we plan to look into our spells, revamp some or look into adding new spells later this year. We have decided that we will revisit this suggestion once we look further into revamping spells.

Thank you once again for making this suggestion and we hope to see more suggestions from you in the future! I hope you have a magical day!