DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

A structured Critique of Revelius

Foirie

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: foirie
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Werewolf
Before I begin this critique I want to state that this is from the perspective of a duelist.
In this critique I'll outline the good, the bad, and how to problems within Revelius, while doing this I will draw examples from similar servers gear systems such as Wynncraft, or other Open World games such as The Witcher or Zelda when referring to exploration, or quests. I'll also be dividing this review into numerous sections.
My intention with this thread isn't to cause controversy, but instead to provide a calm and respectful take on Revelius, and a platform for civil discussion on the pros and cons of the update.

Exploration
The map in the update is by far the most well done aspect of Revelius. The new map is a clear improvement over the old map, the resource pack also being a great improvement. The builds are excellent, matching their environments perfectly, towns are built around rivers or coasts, just as they would be in real life, places like Wigtown are distinctly different in their icy environment when compared to other places like Antrum in North Scottland. The locations of mobs are for the most part reflective of where they would be in real life, many of them have excellent environments, for example, Poison Toads living in swamps, or Explosively Ended Newts living in desolate land covered in fire. These environments are clearly reflective of the mobs placed in them and are just fun to look at. The biggest problem with the map, however, isn't in the builds, but instead the space between the builds. There are vast plains, rivers and environments between towns, but in many of them there just isn't anything. North East England has great mountain ranges and rivers but is entirely devoid of towns or mobs or anything to do there. Between Emberskins and Hogsend there's only one town, a town lacking in vendors tailors or Fire Dust connection, just a vast space of mountains forests and rivers, with nothing to do within it. This is a problem that is easy to solve and will most likely be fixed in the next few months, with the addition of more towns, mobs and quests to fill in these empty gaps.

The actual exploration in the map is where my problem lies. With these vast plains of emptiness there is no incentive to explore, you know exactly where every quest is, exactly where every town and vendor is, the only incentive is chests, chests which give a 10th the reward they gave prior to the update. In games like the Witcher 3 it has a similar system to Potterworld, you can't travel to a point before you've discovered it. However, unlike Potterworld the map is packed with things to do. When travelling you have 2 options, stick to the main road or cut through a forest or swamp. Take the first option and its highly likely you'll encounter a quest alongside the road, someone getting robbed, or just a small random event. Cut through the forest and you'll be attacked by all sorts of things, might stumble across a hidden treasure or maybe even a boss fight without realizing. Its the same in Zelda BOTW, a game focused on exploration, everywhere you go you could find a memory, a tower, a shrine or a cool piece of gear, there's none of this empty space so common around Potterworld. Potterworld for me feels very similar to Fallout 76, a huge, promising map with structures clearly just made out of passion rather than necessity, but within all of these great builds there's rarely actually anything to do. You know exactly where everything is since its laid out on the map and you just want to get there, rather than experience the world. However, different to Fallout 76 where you're forced to at least see this great world, even if it is empty. In Potterworld people hop on a broom, fly super high up so they don't hit any trees, line up with the coords and just hold W whilst watching youtube or checking their phone. There's nothing holding a players attention, leading to the travel just being a waste of time for players. This problem is further exaggerated by the ridiculous price of firedust, nobody wants to travel for hours on their broom but then only the richest players will consider it worth it to spend that amount of gold on firedust to travel, every open world game, mmo everything that I play fast travel costs next to nothing or just nothing at all. Skyrim, Elder scrolls online, The witcher, Assassins Creed, Breath of the Wild, Destiny, all of these games fast travel doesn't come at a cost to the player. The only problem with having fast travel cost minimal gold is that it stops players from experiencing the world, which is true in games like the Witcher, but in Potterworld when regular travel is you staring at the sky for 10 minutes, that argument is simply invalid.

PVE and overall Entertainment
The spells system is fun. I personally prefer using the magic system to the combat in other minecraft servers like Wynncraft. It's fun and takes practice and when you get good at casting spells you feel like you earned it, like you're skilled. However the problem with PVE is that it doesn't reward engaging in active combat. On the very first day of the Revelius update I was able to get a full set of common Level 80 gear. All I had to do was sit in a tree and sling spells until the mobs I was fighting died. They simply couldn't reach me. And even if someone does actively engage in fighting mobs, the combat is just walking backwards, occasionally turning and running, whilst hitting the mob with the same set of spells until it dies. Mindless, boring work. Keyword is work, people don't enjoy grinding for gear, it's better than nothing, but not by much. And when someone has spent enough time grinding for gear they'll grow to actively despise it, as I have after just a few days of Revelius being out. This problem is largely causd by the great variety of movement options, brooms, ascendio and appareo are more than enough to let players mindlessly camp in a tree and slay level 80 mobs and is rather tricky to solve without removing them. I'd suggest giving most mobs an aoe that can force players out of trees, or at least force them to stay alert. This is quite a hard problem to solve so I'd be happy to see some suggestions in replies to this thread.

Pre Revelius, other than dueling I derived most of my enjoyment out of fighting bosses. I had an obsession, I tried to solo every boss in the game, I could beat the Enchantress, the Butcher, the Wraith, stage 1 Zirxas and Yassmir all on my own. I was looking forward to seeing whether or not I could finally beat Zirxas with the new Revelius system, or gather some of my friends and say that I was one of the first people to beat the Revenant post Revelius. However, both Azkaban and the Revenant are disabled. This means that the only form of PVE left are the mobs that majority of people kill in 2 hits. You'll find very few people who say that the dungeons were bad, perhaps lacking in some minor aspects but getting a group of friends together and doing Yassmir was fun, and enjoyable, even with the pitiful 50 gold reward. It wouldn't take much effort to change the damage and health of the dungeon mobs so as they match Revelius level stats.

Another key feature in the entertainment of players is quests. Some quests I really enjoyed, others were just miserable. Majority of the quests would just be fetch quests. Talk to this person, waste 5 minutes flying over here, kill 50 of this thing, come back and give me item, rinse and repeat. Some of the most enjoyable quests I did were things like the Grad quest, it had parkour, puzzles and even ended with a boss fight. A refreshing change of pace to be continually playing a game, as oppose to just reading coords and spamming vermillo on wiggleworms. There need to be more quests like the enjoyable and engaging grad quest and less quests that involve killing 100 thestrys until i get 6 hearts so I can brew a random person a potion to complete a quest that I regret starting.

PVP and Gear

Ignoring all stat issues, the arguably largest flaw in the gear system is the price. Earlier today I got a legendary recipe, and the expense from crafting all the materials for it and the gear itself amounted to around 6000 gold. For just one piece of gear. This would be forgivable if it was just "they're grads if they're going for legendary gear they're probably well off anyway!" but the price for gear even at low levels is ridiculous. Low level quests give barely even enough gold to buy a piece of firedust, let alone enough to fully equip a player with gear. There just isn't enough gold, I've witnessed first hand some of my 6th year friends not having enough gold to craft gear, imagine how hard it must be for low levels who don't have access to 6 years of quests, but instead only the year 1 quests that give them pennies. Gear needs to be cheaper to craft or simply not cost anything at all. If it doesn't add anything to the game then it shouldn't be in the game. All it does is inconvenience players and prevent low levels from progressing at a fast pace and it's not fair on low levels that they're having to resort to just begging for gold in order to progress in the game.

Gear stats are very, very unbalanced and broken. There have been many instances of one of my friends saying "I just got a new legendary!" "oh wait its trash nevermind" with the low drop rate of legendaries people shouldn't be deciding that they'd rather keep their common gear. Furthermore, the fact that every gear piece can lower cooldowns and increase damage of stats is mind boggling. Within less than a week there are already people running around, able to one shot other graduates with spells that have ridiculously low cooldowns, It's not right that duels are decided by "who found the most recent flaw in the gears system" as oppose to "who has the best aim, knowledge of spells, and game sense" like it was in the past.

The spell tree is a huge step backwards from talents. Talents gave people interesting buffs, which could suit different types of playstyle. As oppose to a player having to decide between having shortened cast time, or extra range, bonus healing or bonus damage, players can just invest in certain spells to make good. They just choose a spell and say "ok that spell isn't trash now" a huge variety of spells were completely knocked out of dueling by this. People want to be able to experiment with the new dueling system, not have to reset their spell tree every 5 seconds to see whether or not a certain spell is good. This problem is further exaggerated by the insanely high price of 50 ac to reset your spell tree. How is a player meant to experiment with spells and find new things when its that costly to reset it? Their are other things like spells having their counters cost ridiculous amounts of spell points to make viable. Finite used to be a mandatory spell used by players, however now without any points it has a 60 second cooldown, furthermore in order to improve it a player has to invest in 3 spells before being able to level it up once. And even at max level it still has 18 second cooldown. Meanwhile you're trying to cope with the 18 second cooldown whilst one of your friends has 4 second cooldown on spells like Paralotum. One of the biggest casualties of this are the players without lacerum. Not only is Lacerum an excellent dueling spell that costs 0 spell points, but even after investing 6 spell points to get finite up to max level it still has a cooldown 7 seconds longer than Lacerums. But don't worry, if you really want to counter Lacerum you can work through the entire healing spell tree to get Vulnera, which by default has a ridiculous 60 second cooldown.

Ok so that was really long and by the time im writing this im sleep deprived and uhh my brain broken ;) thanks for reading, apologies if i began veering towards disrespectful in the end, I'm very passionate about dueling and watching my favorite part of the server be so severely damaged like this hurts. The fact its 6am while writing this doesn't help either.

-Foirie

ThatPreston

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: ThatPreston
Honeybadger Dark Follower
I 100% agree with everything you said. I'd like to add that all of the mobs seem to have the exact same AI. They run towards you and occasionally teleport to you, and that's it. I haven't seen much variation at all. It would be cool if the winged mobs could actually fly and not just walk around flapping their wings. This update made me come back to Potterworld after being inactive for over a year, and I really really like the changes. But as you have said, there are some areas that definitely need improvement. I especially agree with your points about gear, I hate how the winner of a fight will always be the person with better gear. I am a graduate, and in dueling classes I feel like I have no chance because everyone else has legendary level 80 gear and I don't.

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Minecraft IGN: MattyPoltergeist
Serpent Werewolf
And also, I surprisingly agreed with most if not every point here, though I do think Revelius is an improvement, dueling, dueling does take a heavy toll and needs to be balanced out, I'm sure balancing every spell is quite a hard and complex process but either way it's very important that it happens. This post has also made me realised how little ways there are to get gold for a 1st - 3rd year... Mobs aren't too good a source for gold and will mainly be used for gear (which need gold) and quests don't give too much as these years. I also feel like there needs to be something where you can sell potions/cooking to an NPC, maybe only a few times a day (like the old quests) but you should atleast be able to make a consistent prophet out of crafting something.

HeyJared

Magician
Minecraft IGN: HeyJared
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Werewolf SPEW
Another key feature in the entertainment of players is quests. Some quests I really enjoyed, others were just miserable. Majority of the quests would just be fetch quests. Talk to this person, waste 5 minutes flying over here, kill 50 of this thing, come back and give me item, rinse and repeat. Some of the most enjoyable quests I did were things like the Grad quest, it had parkour, puzzles and even ended with a boss fight. A refreshing change of pace to be continually playing a game, as oppose to just reading coords and spamming vermillo on wiggleworms. There need to be more quests like the enjoyable and engaging grad quest and less quests that involve killing 100 thestrys until i get 6 hearts so I can brew a random person a potion to complete a quest that I regret starting.

PVP and Gear

Ignoring all stat issues, the arguably largest flaw in the gear system is the price. Earlier today I got a legendary recipe, and the expense from crafting all the materials for it and the gear itself amounted to around 6000 gold. For just one piece of gear. This would be forgivable if it was just "they're grads if they're going for legendary gear they're probably well off anyway!" but the price for gear even at low levels is ridiculous. Low level quests give barely even enough gold to buy a piece of firedust, let alone enough to fully equip a player with gear. There just isn't enough gold, I've witnessed first hand some of my 6th year friends not having enough gold to craft gear, imagine how hard it must be for low levels who don't have access to 6 years of quests, but instead only the year 1 quests that give them pennies. Gear needs to be cheaper to craft or simply not cost anything at all. If it doesn't add anything to the game then it shouldn't be in the game. All it does is inconvenience players and prevent low levels from progressing at a fast pace and it's not fair on low levels that they're having to resort to just begging for gold in order to progress in the game.

-Foirie
I agree with pretty much everything you said, I'm just pointing out these two paragraphs so that I can further comment upon them. Most of the quests I've encountered so far has been fetch quests that I haven't even bothered to complete. It's not fun for me to have to spend EVERY other quest to spam kill the same mobs; it becomes repetitive and boring.

I also agree that everything is now too inflated in price and make's it harder to get anything. It doesn't help that hidden chests doesn't offer any gold, it ruins most of the desire to be on the hunt for them. Quests seem to be the only source of income besides from the marketplace, which means obtaining gold is now limited to the amount of quests available. Each player is now eventually going to run out of gold if everything is now inflated; even a good broom costs more gold than before, and the materials to craft it aren't easy to obtain either.

It feels like the staff are making decisions based upon the features that THEY want or what they think the players want/need, but never actually include the players input in the decisions. I admit that if there is a lot of feedback on a feature the players don't like, they'd eventually change it, but the damage is already done regarding the players experience on the server. I feel that when there are future updates, they should create more polls about whether or not the players would actually enjoy it. While they can't do the polls on every feature, they should create one on major key changes. (Ex: Quick Travel / Warp Key Bag changes)

Last edited:

Aviforma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aviforma
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent SPEW
It feels like the staff are making decisions based upon the features that THEY want or what they think the players want/need, but never actually include the players input in the decisions. I admit that if there is a lot of feedback on a feature the players don't like, they'd eventually change it, but the damage is already done regarding the players experience on the server. I feel that when there are future updates, they should create more polls about whether or not the players would actually enjoy it. While they can't do the polls on every feature, they should create one on major key changes. (Ex: Quick Travel / Warp Key Bag changes)
As someone who recently resigned from the staff team and has seen both sides of the argument, I feel this is true...

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello Foirie (and other players who have commented on this thread),
Thanks a lot for making your opinion known and giving us feedback! We really appreciate players giving us feedback, so we know what we can work on and improve.
I will now be bringing up your feedback to the rest of the Poltergeist Team so that we can discuss it.
Thanks again and have a great day!

xxXperteXxx

Magician
Minecraft IGN: xxXperteXxx
Auralock Serpent
I agree with you to 100%, Foirie. I think that the gear has inflated prices, because there was a big inflation in the weeks before Revelius. Even if the prices didn't went up that much in the last weeks before Revelius, I'm pretty sure that the amount of money that was owned by players increased a lot, because many players saved their money, which was created out of nothing (i.e. chest runs). So I think the high prices for gear crafting are a consequence of the large amount of money the players had (including myself). The problem is, that players who didn't save that much for Revelius or joined recently don't have any savings, so they will run out of money very quick and get demotivated. To solve this problem there are two things that must happen:
First, a new, constant way of earning money has to be added or an old way has to be reintroduced (i.e. selling potions to Mr. Mulpepper, like in the good old pre-Exploration update days). And second, the prices has to be balanced with the income. It is important to balance the prices with the player income and not with the amount of money the players own, because new players doesn't have anything.

8BitColours

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Skojare
Dark Follower Phoenix Raven
I agree with you to 100%, Foirie. I think that the gear has inflated prices, because there was a big inflation in the weeks before Revelius. Even if the prices didn't went up that much in the last weeks before Revelius, I'm pretty sure that the amount of money that was owned by players increased a lot, because many players saved their money, which was created out of nothing (i.e. chest runs). So I think the high prices for gear crafting are a consequence of the large amount of money the players had (including myself). The problem is, that players who didn't save that much for Revelius or joined recently don't have any savings, so they will run out of money very quick and get demotivated. To solve this problem there are two things that must happen:
First, a new, constant way of earning money has to be added or an old way has to be reintroduced (i.e. selling potions to Mr. Mulpepper, like in the good old pre-Exploration update days). And second, the prices has to be balanced with the income. It is important to balance the prices with the player income and not with the amount of money the players own, because new players doesn't have anything.
I totally agree. Making something like a coat cost 370g when you are around lvl 20 is absurd. Especially when the mats sell for around 3g for 10.

What they could do is give discounts depending on how many mats you have. If you have all the mats needed it could be something like 85% off. If you have no mats however you have to pay full price. I see some flaws with this such as legendary gear. I think it should just be the mats for that.

World of Warcraft has a great system where the mats are really hard to get. Especially for a legendary item (Talking about Classic). Something like their system would be great.

WhiteRice

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: w45ypw4o5
Griffin Phoenix
Some supplementary thoughts:

- potential addition of mob stats (i.e. something similar to jungling items in league of legends w/ the inclusion of resistances vs monsters). Could be useful in separating PVE and PVP

- potions: perhaps instead of exploding when thrown could enhance a players stats for each spell category (transfiguration/jinx/curse etc.) for a period of time (flat or percentile dmg something to think about)

- spell tree: the current spell tree causes players to prioritize certain spells over others making them completely redundant. Reverting to the old spell tree would be ideal as it covers choices between dmgs, cds, resistances, healing, etc. Spell points being low cost if not free as mentioned in OP gives players a chance to experiment with different builds while also making a huge difference between Dueling and PVE.

- the economy went from barely being able to get by, to super inflated (went from 2k -> 20k, x10 my balance in a single day) which will inevitably fall off with how expensive gear, brooms, and other miscellaneous items cost and then we're back to where we started (until more quests are added). I think increasing the value of material sold to vendors instead of the current 10 (material) -> $1-$8 (min value $1-1 material or more if material is hard to get?). This would also mean lowering the rewards from quests.

- fire dust should still cost a price but lowered significantly. $20 (1 fire dust) - $200 (10) just seems way to expensive for a 1 time trip. Perhaps 1 fire dust for $5 (just speculation) as it keeps the cost relatively low while limiting the amount of uses.

- Combatting the issue of people camping in trees and farming mobs would ultimately be to teleport the player once they're close enough to a similar looking area with no trees inside the radius (similar to London). However because of the potential issues this may cause (lag / unexpecting travelers) this is purely speculation and just a potential solution. Alongside that, if people are to stop camping and start trains (running around gathering mobs like in call of duty), I suggest lowing the drop rates for rare items too (i.e. Thunderhawk heart is like 1/50 chance, if I don't have decent armor, I'm sitting in a tree dropping dmg spells on them) and changing up the mob AI so they don't all just tp around as mentioned already. Unique attacks would be more interesting.

As I've already stated most of what I've written is speculation and what I think would be ideal for the server. Hopefully this is helpful and can be of use to the staff. You guys have done a wonderful job and I'm thoroughly impressed by the work done so far.

Last edited:

Ashh

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: AzureAsh
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Game Designer Lead
Heya Foirie and everyone else who has their eye on this thread! Thanks for creating this detailed account of your thoughts on the Revelius Update, and apologies for this late response! We have heard you, and everyone else who has created similar suggestions or feedback regarding the Revelius Update. I'd like to take some time to go through the issues that you bring up and how we have been working to improve upon them.

Regarding the issues with exploration you mention, we are aware that there are a lot of empty spaces on the map currently. We have been working on ways to fill the map, and have since introduced a new town (Walden) and will continue to work on adding new features around the map. In terms of content, since Revelius was released, we have released two batches of quests and riddles to the world. Looking forward, we will continue to release new content, and even have a new focus on world interactions around the map, mentioned in a previously accepted suggestion. We also agree that the firedust prices were too high, which is why we lowered these some time ago for easier and cheaper travel using the firedust network. Additionally, we have lowered the warpkey cooldown to 7 minutes, as well as added a second warp and a permanent warp to Hogsworth. We're also steadily working on different methods of fast travel between towns gated behind quests and activities. We hope that these changes will make travel easier and more affordable.

Regarding the issues with PVE and overall entertainment that you bring up, as Deniz mentioned in a post a few days, we are currently in the testing stages of our gear rework. We are aware of the impact that disabling Revenant and Azkaban has on PVE on the server, and we will be working on introducing these back to the server, but we are converting previous functionality to our new health values and waiting to clear up some tech limitations. We will also be looking at introducing some new dungeons. In terms of quests, we are continuing to work on quest content, and are continuously exploring new ways in which we can make quests exciting, different, and enjoyable without the 'fetch quest' content.

Regarding the points about PVP and gear, as I mentioned previously, we are finishing up the gear rework that we will be introducing to improve the system, some of which is based on player feedback. We have already lowered the cost of resetting spell trees. We are also going to be adding Lacerum Incisis back to the server, which you might have seen in a suggestion or two on these forums.

Thank you so much once again for this detailed critique! We hope some of the changes that have happened thus far and that are upcoming will improve player experience and enjoyability.