DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Add a Dislike button

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
If this were a forum section for memes, then it'd be understandable to have Like and Dislike, similar to Reddit or 9Gag, to keep bad content down. But this is a Feedback and suggestions section which is supposed to be a place to share, develop and discuss ideas.

Having a dislike button would significantly reduce the amount of interaction and discussion.

The "like" button doesn't really mean "I Like", it's more like "I agree". You can always criticise something or share your negative opinion and others can use the like "I agree" button.

Take this thread for example. I could've just easily disliked your post and you'd never know why I did that. Instead I have to voice my opinion and state my reasons why I disagree with you.

Edit:
There's a reason why Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube (comments) don't have (working) dislike button
[There is a way to "Like" or "Dislike" something - polls, which have been recently reintroduced but they still need to be polished.]

Lizzie

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Rhines
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire
If this were a forum section for memes, then it'd be understandable to have Like and Dislike, similar to Reddit or 9Gag, to keep bad content down. But this is a Feedback and suggestions section which is supposed to be a place to share, develop and discuss ideas.

Having a dislike button would significantly reduce the amount of interaction and discussion.

The "like" button doesn't really mean "I Like", it's more like "I agree". You can always criticise something or share your negative opinion and others can use the like "I agree" button.

Take this thread for example. I could've just disliked your post and you'd never know why I did that. Instead I have to voice my opinion and state my reasons why I disagree with you.
we used to have a dislike button on enjin :c

Honey_Dwarf1

Archivist
Minecraft IGN: Honey_Dwarf1
Phoenix Raven
They did have dislike buttons on discord from user voice, and that meant that you could quickly look to see generally what people think.

the other suggestion was to make the dislike anonymous, which I think was why it was considered ‘trolling’. If the button wasn’t anonymous, it would probably reduce the number of trolls (though I know some people were still trolling in the user voice voting)

GuppysCookies

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: GuppysCookies
Raven
I mean I can see why there isn't a dislike button but at the same time, everyone has opinions and I think if someone has the urge to dislike a post, they are sure to comment on it as well, So removing a dislike button isn't going to solve anything much. If a person feels like they are scared of getting disliked they can either simply remove their post or not post, but it's good to see the agreement vs. disagreement on your post from others.

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
Recently Joe Magus alerted me to the fact there are genuinely terrible posts and they deserve a dislike button so i feel it would be useful to gauge a communities response to a post.

Thanks for considering my suggestion! <3_<3
First of all this is straight up rude. I dont think any post is terrible (besides the ones that break the rules), its about different opinions. Like button is there so you can show support for a certain opinion. If you dont agree, you should write your own response/opinion so we all know exactly what you dont agree with

FlatJambo

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: FlatJambo
Honeybadger Auralock
That wasn't the best way to start a forum... However, I do think an anonymous dislike button would help. Maybe it could be similar to upvotes on Reddit, where each dislike doesn't show as a dislike but instead diminishes the number of likes the post has.

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
That wasn't the best way to start a forum... However, I do think an anonymous dislike button would help. Maybe it could be similar to upvotes on Reddit, where each dislike doesn't show as a dislike but instead diminishes the number of likes the post has.
No, I think that would ruin the point of both likes and dislikes. First, the upvotes on reddit work because theres a huge audience there, but here it wouldnt work like that.. If one post has only 1 like that would be the same to a post that has 11 likes and 10 dislikes, which doesnt seem right to me. This server doesnt have that many active people on forums, and people could easily form groups and just dislike someones suggestion if they dont like it..And again, if someone dislikes something I would like them to share their opinion and not just leave a dislike. With sharing our disagreements we can find better solutions for both sides, but with leaving dislikes that just kills any solution.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
But the point of downvotes on reddit is not to "dislike terrible posts because they deserve it"...
View attachment 1265
View attachment 1266

"Please don't" section:
View attachment 1267
I just downvoted your comment.

FAQ
What does this mean?
The amount of karma (points) on your comment and Reddit account has decreased by one.

Why did you do this?
There are several reasons I may deem a comment to be unworthy of positive or neutral karma. These include, but are not limited to:
  • Rudeness towards other Redditors,
  • Spreading incorrect information,
  • Sarcasm not correctly flagged with a /s.
Am I banned from the Reddit?
No - not yet. But you should refrain from making comments like this in the future. Otherwise I will be forced to issue an additional downvote, which may put your commenting and posting privileges in jeopardy.

I don't believe my comment deserved a downvote. Can you un-downvote it?
Sure, mistakes happen. But only in exceedingly rare circumstances will I undo a downvote. If you would like to issue an appeal, shoot me a private message explaining what I got wrong. I tend to respond to Reddit PMs within several minutes. Do note, however, that over 99.9% of downvote appeals are rejected, and yours is likely no exception.

How can I prevent this from happening in the future?
Accept the downvote and move on. But learn from this mistake: your behavior will not be tolerated on Reddit.com. I will continue to issue downvotes until you improve your conduct. Remember: Reddit is privilege, not a right.

please please please this is a copypasta but i mean it kinda gets the point across of how downvotes are used

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joe_Magus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
Even though it wasn't a nice way to start a thread - the Staff seemed to of liked it and not said anything :) Wouldn't mind it if it was implemented assuming it was used properly - Everything I post on here is my own personal opinion - the Forums is a place to discuss but also to get yourself heard too.

Last edited:

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
If a person feels like they are scared of getting disliked they can either simply remove their post or not post,
I’d like to think this server and forums are both inclusive to all people - especially people who suffer from anxiety and may be “scared” to get involved. If you give and idea and it gets 20 dislikes and no one has posted why, it could be demotivating to then post anything else. I know I’ve had occasions where loads of people have voted against an idea but don’t give reasons as to why.

finner4

Magician
Minecraft IGN: finner4
Phoenix Raven
I’d like to think this server and forums are both inclusive to all people - especially people who suffer from anxiety and may be “scared” to get involved. If you give and idea and it gets 20 dislikes and no one has posted why, it could be demotivating to then post anything else.
It seems a bit contradictory to say that people shouldn't be worried about using the forums in a thread that starts, "Recently Joe Magus alerted me to the fact there are genuinely terrible posts and they deserve a dislike button...".

Surely someone isn't going to want to put forwards suggestions if they think people are going to treat some posts as 'genuinely terrible'?

Ignore this, I misread the message.

Last edited:

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Minecraft IGN: MattyPoltergeist
Serpent Werewolf
Ye, honestly, I was actually going to make this post a bit back but reading the comments I do think it's better to have a discussion in the thread rather than just disliking the post, I feel like the person who makes the post can use a poll if they want to see an opinion and otherwise it's a bit pointless and maybe even worse off to just have people dislike it. Most of the time even if I disagree with an original post, they'll be some good points in the comments that I do agree with that I can like, I think it's just better to like opposing / better ideas or criticisms further down in the thread than disliking the original post. However, I don't particularly have anything against the idea of a downvote button.

Kirstree

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Kirstree
Auralock Griffin Phoenix
An idea is instead of a "dislike" button, you could have a "I disagree" this allows people to say their opinions still and with that give a fair discussion at least in suggestions.

I believe on the forum use Xenforo (please correct me if I'm wrong), and with that system you can disable karma in certain sections of the node. This will highly depend on if it is Xenforo and what addons they use etc.

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
It seems a bit contradictory to say that people shouldn't be worried about using the forums in a thread that starts, "Recently Joe Magus alerted me to the fact there are genuinely terrible posts and they deserve a dislike button...".

Surely someone isn't going to want to put forwards suggestions if they think people are going to treat some posts as 'genuinely terrible'?
It wasn’t me treating a post terrible - it was my opinion on gear that in their opinion was terrible. I like gear and was giving my opinion to why I like gear - I think this is what they wanted to dislike.

finner4

Magician
Minecraft IGN: finner4
Phoenix Raven
It wasn’t me treating a post terrible - it was my opinion on gear that in their opinion was terrible. I like gear and was giving my opinion to why I like gear - I think this is what they wanted to dislike.
Ohhh ok, I completely misread the first message in that case – sorry about that.

am i going mad or was a post deleted
Nope, it's me that's going mad :p