DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Add References to the Tales of Beedle the Bard

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Minecraft IGN: MattyPoltergeist
Serpent Werewolf
If you have not read the Tales of Beedle the Bard it is a collection of stories written by J.K. Rowling that directly links to the overarching Harry Potter storyline. Right now, a lot of the Potterworld map seems quite empty and lacks lore, therefore I think having little nods to the book would be an amazing addition to the server that could bring it to life a bit more, whether it be in quests or just simply secret builds. (btw when I say "text" throughout this suggestion, I mean in a GUI / what a quest would look like, not just in chat)

The Wizard and the Hopping Pot
The first tale opens with a wizard being constantly chased by a vomiting, crying, hopping cauldron. In one of the several villages around the map there could be a cauldron, with green goop, liquid and potion bottles surrounding it, also with a pair of slippers (maybe using the texture from the shoes in gear) next to it. When clicked it could even make noises and growls as it does in the story and in chat could say a message about always helping others.

The Fountain of Fair Fortune
In the second tale of the book, a group of three women, eventually occompanied by a knight fight their way up a massively vegetated garden on a hill. They are first attacked by weeds and then must cry and sweat on to the ground to prove their dispair and determination. Then they must cast away their memories into a small (but impassible) stream that creates a moat around the top of the hill. This is in order to prove the treasures and burdens of their past. Finally at the peak they find a fountain, that though legendary and beautiful, they concluded had no magic powers at all.

I think it would be very nice to have a hill on Potterworld be covered in leaves, grass, bushes, trees and shrubs. At the top there would be river completely surrounding the peak where finally a grand and sparkling fountain stands. Though it would be nice, I don't think the trials to get up to the fountain are necessary as I am not too sure how it would work, however it could have a message or a book at the top atleast explaining what the fountain's past is and its legendary status.

The Warlock's Hairy Heart
Though this tale is slightly darker than the others, I think it would still be nice to have something referencing it. At the end both the Warlock and his wife die with their hearts out of their bodies. I think this could either be represented by a grave in possibly Riddleyard of Griffins Hollow (with text occompanying it, explaining who they were) or possibly a crypt / momorial at the castle in the top left of the map (as the Warlock and his wife die in a castle in the book), maybe even with a locked chest that claims to hold their two hearts as one was said to hold the Warlock's.

Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump
The third story in the Tales of Beedle the Bard talks of a witch (Babbity Rabbity) and a charlatan who trick a King into believing that he has magical powers. The King realises it was a fraud and begins to cut down a tree that he believed was Babbity Rabbity transformed, the witch, laughing, intimidates the gullible King into erecting a statue of her which is agreed to.

I think it would be nice if at one of the towns (preferably one of the bigger ones that looks as if a King could have lived there, e.g. Rushstone or Eldham) there was a Golden statue of a washer woman / witch with text remembering Babbity Rabbity. Nearby there could be a tree stump with an axe stuck in.

The Tale of the Three Brothers
This tale, being easily the most well known, I think should also have a hint to it. First of all, a bridge could be ressurected over a stream with with a large Elder tree nearby, representing the bridge that the three Brothers crossed when meeting Death. I think that this bridge could either be there from the beginning and whilst you walk over it have a strange sound or effect occur or atleast something to differentiate it from the other bridges (possibly text). On the other hand, I think that you could have to cast Aperio to make it appear or click a certain block. Later on in the tale, the First Brother is killed in a pub, if there was a nod to this, there could be a dagger in a room of a pub in a random village, possibly having a text popup when you click on it. The second brother also dies after wanting to join his dead wife. This could be shown by a grave in a ruined, destroyed house possibly having a stone / gem (being the ressurection stone) within the rubble. Finally, the last brother joins death willingly at the end of his life so there isn't too much that could be added for him.

As mentioned, these tales could also be used in quests, however I think there is something nice about them being isolated and abandoned throughout the map. Also, many of these are simply suggestions and I think some of them work better than others so I'd like to hear your opinions on which ones you do and don't like or whether you have ideas of your own!

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Heya @MattyPoltergeist!

Thank you for taking the time and consideration on creating this suggestion! At this time, I'll bring it up to the rest of the staff team for further discussion. After the Leadership team makes a final decision, I'll return with a response as soon as possible, so keep an eye out on this thread!

Have a nice day!

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Hello again @MattyPoltergeist!

After reviewing this suggestion with the rest of the team, the Leadership team has carefully decided to decline it at this time. While we like this idea and consider it to be a cool addition to the server, there was the cease and desist that was brought up a while back, so we wish to avoid adding more specific references to the canon Harry Potter. Instead, we would prefer to add quests, builds and secrets following our own lore.

Thank you again for making this suggestion! Have a nice day!