DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Black Lives Matter Post

Magicath

Magician
Minecraft IGN: Magicath_
Auralock Raven SPEW
One can never forget the centuries-long African American struggle for equality, as we recall the Emancipation Proclamation, the passing of the 15th Amendment, the activism of Martin Luther King Jr. and the social activism that the world has taken upon itself in the fight against racial injustice. On the 25th of May, George Floyd was killed in a gruesome fashion, sparking people across the globe to come together to show solidarity in support of the fight against racism and all that it stands for. This has snowballed as the amount of African Americans murdered has increased.

The players of Potterworld have taken it upon themselves to show that Potterworld itself is in solidarity in the fight against racism. As seen in the #general channel on the Potterworld Discord today on the 21st of August, it is clear that many players have shown their grave expectation of an official declaration from the Potterworld team, to show their solidarity with Black Lives Matter. This is long overdue.

As we understand, racism continues to be an issue within our communities and our lives. Hence, it is only right for the players of Potterworld to deserve to know that its leadership team supports creating a safe space for everyone, regardless of race, gender, sexuality and so forth, to play and enjoy the Potterworld universe.

As we remember Potterworld’s commitment in supporting the LGBTQ+ community through the initiation of events and declarations, we urge the leadership team of Potterworld to follow these steps, to show their support and their solidarity in the fight against racism.

Link to resources you can learn about Black Lives Matter from HERE
Warning, the link above has some PG-13 content.

Link to screenshots of Discord conversation HERE

Thank you to Makkchi for editing and provinding resources, Heartbreakings for writing more than the lion's share, and everyone else for contributing.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
This would be very nice. Potterworld has always been to the left on social issues in order to be inclusive to LGBTQIA+ people so I don't see why it should be any different with BLM, especially if there was some kind of incident in the past. It would not take very long but I know it would be reassuring to a lot of people and show where Potterworld truly stands.

If this is accepted (which I hope it is) I ask one thing, get rid of the rule "Keep religious beliefs and political comments out of chat" or provide some exceptions to it. According to that rule, this post and any conversations about it on the minecraft/discord server should not exist which I think is wrong because it has overwhelming support from the community and any staff who have the power to enforce the rule on this post choose not to (for good reason, because it would be wrong). This means the rule is selectively enforced and therefore is kinda pointless and dumb.

TLDR: Do it, I want it and so does a super majority of Potterworld and allow conversations about it to be open.

Magicath

Magician
Minecraft IGN: Magicath_
Auralock Raven SPEW
I think what is important to remember is that Potterworld is a "Harry Potter" Minecraft server. It serves as an escape for me and so many others. I don't think many people want the Discord and the in-game chat filled with discussions over immigration policies and the American presidential election and whatnot. I like to log onto Potterworld to forget a lot of what is happening in real life, not remember it.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
I think what is important to remember is that Potterworld is a "Harry Potter" Minecraft server. It serves as an escape for me and so many others. I don't think many people want the Discord and the in-game chat filled with discussions over immigration policies and the American presidential election and whatnot. I like to log onto Potterworld to forget a lot of what is happening in real life, not remember it.
That is completely fair, but what I am saying is that the rule has to be consistent. Either the server allows suggestions on its own outlets to endorse political movements and we can have a conversation about that endorsement or the server abstains from politics completely and no one can make comments about politics and there are no in server events that endorse political movements. We can't have this strange middle ground where you are allowed to be political about some issues, some times, in some ways.

I do sympathize a lot with the desire to escape it all (I did not want to see 49 pages of conversation on racism in the general channel on a Discord server for a Harry Potter Minecraft server), so idk, make it a discord channel under off topic section, just make A place where a conversation can be had officially (because once again on specific issues it already does unofficially in general chats).

TLDR: You can't make a post on the forums encouraging Potterworld to endorse BLM and also say that the server shouldn't be political, you have to pick one.

Last edited:

Ashh

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: AzureAsh
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Game Designer Lead
I am marking this as completed, as Droobledore has given a statement supporting this movement. We appreciate your concerns and thoughts about this particular topic and that you are willing to voice them too. We encourage you to read it here!