DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Challenge Balance

emmamonty18

New Magician
Staff
Minecraft IGN: emmamonty18
Honeybadger Staff Phoenix Lore Keeper
Hi! I'd like to start by saying that I mean no disrespect to any of the Arena Team. Y'all are awesome and you're doing a good job. However, I have a suggestion when it comes to challenges, both dueling and flying (but mostly dueling).

Currently, dueling and flying challenges are pretty unbalanced. When you join, it's practically a fight for last place. The best fighters are always paired together. They're usually higher levels, have more experience, and are buddies. To anyone else joining the challenge for fun, practice, or for the first time, they have virtually no chance of winning. It's like putting toddlers and teenagers in a race together and being shocked when the toddlers lose. I try to join challenges for practice and for fun, but it's not even fun anymore and I've heard others complain about it too.

In dueling class, Cleck makes it as fair as possible when numbers aren't even. Cleck also won't put lower levels/years with higher levels/years because they know that it wouldn't be fair. It makes it more enjoyable for everyone involved. The higher levels get to go against opponents of the same skill level and lower levels aren't instantly obliterated. But when it comes to challenges, balance is thrown out the window. I understand that people want to team up with their friends and that it's part of the fun for some people. But for others, challenges are kind of pointless since we already know who the winners are. I suggest that the teams for 2v2/3v3/4v4 challenges be chosen at random, rather than everyone teaming with their buddies. It doesn't have to be like that all the time, since I know people will complain that they never get to team up with their friends. But I just think that it would level the playing field at least a little bit. Whoever is running the challenge could have everyone raise their hands and then pick 3 at random. It's been done in dueling classes before, so I don't think it'd be too much to do it in a dueling challenge as well.

Everyone wants to have fun on this server. We wouldn't be here if we didn't, but it really takes away from it when you join a challenge and get put against, literally, some of the best/strongest flyers and/or duelists on the server. It's not fair for everyone else and it'd be pretty nice to go into a challenge knowing that you at least stand a chance of winning instead of seeing 3 of the strongest people paired together.

As I said before, this doesn't have to be the case for EVERY challenge, as I know that people will be upset that they can't always team with who they want, but if implemented, it should be done somewhat frequently. I think that it'd be beneficial for player satisfaction, and might attract more people to the challenges, as well. I've seen people say that they don't join challenges because it's unfair or "rigged." With the scales a bit more balanced in challenges by randomly selecting the teams, I think people would be eager to join and try their luck, seeing as the odds are more likely to be in their favor.

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
I understand your point and I personally suggested the same thing here (https://potterworldmc.com/threads/challenges-gamemodes.13603/) with far less detail, but the point is the same. I will say tho that the challenges were originally meant mostly for graduates and represented the more competitive part of the server, and it is not unfair that skilled people are winning, but at this point of time where the competitive scene is not really present I think random teams is a good idea.

cheddarsoup

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: cheddarsoup
Auralock Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
I've seen people say that they don't join challenges because it's unfair or "rigged." With the scales a bit more balanced in challenges by randomly selecting the teams, I think people would be eager to join and try their luck, seeing as the odds are more likely to be in their favor.
I disagree with this suggestion and I think particularly in the quoted section above the opposite effect would occur. I don't see how players being allowed to freely choose teams is unfair or "rigged," however, if teams are "randomly" selected by the challenge host I could absolutely see those terms being used. What happens in a challenge where a random team selection ends up with the 3 best duelists all on one team?

There's already a level of rng associated with challenges overall, and since they're supposed to be competitive I think this would make it worse. I feel like if anything they could do a few random team challenges but overall I don't think this is the way to make arena better.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
This would make flying challenges unplayable, already the difference in skill between the best and the next tier can be 1-2 crashes per map on average, but the gap between the lowest is huge - it would turn into who is lucky enough to get 3 flyers with any idea of what they are doing.

I get the frusteration, but if you practice in halls its really not that hard to get good enough to consistently top 3/4, and while you are at it you will make friends to team with.

EdenLovesMommy

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: EdenLovesMommy
Auralock Dark Follower Raven
Hi! I'd like to start by saying that I mean no disrespect to any of the Arena Team. Y'all are awesome and you're doing a good job. However, I have a suggestion when it comes to challenges, both dueling and flying (but mostly dueling).

Currently, dueling and flying challenges are pretty unbalanced. When you join, it's practically a fight for last place. The best fighters are always paired together. They're usually higher levels, have more experience, and are buddies. To anyone else joining the challenge for fun, practice, or for the first time, they have virtually no chance of winning. It's like putting toddlers and teenagers in a race together and being shocked when the toddlers lose. I try to join challenges for practice and for fun, but it's not even fun anymore and I've heard others complain about it too.

In dueling class, Cleck makes it as fair as possible when numbers aren't even. Cleck also won't put lower levels/years with higher levels/years because they know that it wouldn't be fair. It makes it more enjoyable for everyone involved. The higher levels get to go against opponents of the same skill level and lower levels aren't instantly obliterated. But when it comes to challenges, balance is thrown out the window. I understand that people want to team up with their friends and that it's part of the fun for some people. But for others, challenges are kind of pointless since we already know who the winners are. I suggest that the teams for 2v2/3v3/4v4 challenges be chosen at random, rather than everyone teaming with their buddies. It doesn't have to be like that all the time, since I know people will complain that they never get to team up with their friends. But I just think that it would level the playing field at least a little bit. Whoever is running the challenge could have everyone raise their hands and then pick 3 at random. It's been done in dueling classes before, so I don't think it'd be too much to do it in a dueling challenge as well.

Everyone wants to have fun on this server. We wouldn't be here if we didn't, but it really takes away from it when you join a challenge and get put against, literally, some of the best/strongest flyers and/or duelists on the server. It's not fair for everyone else and it'd be pretty nice to go into a challenge knowing that you at least stand a chance of winning instead of seeing 3 of the strongest people paired together.

As I said before, this doesn't have to be the case for EVERY challenge, as I know that people will be upset that they can't always team with who they want, but if implemented, it should be done somewhat frequently. I think that it'd be beneficial for player satisfaction, and might attract more people to the challenges, as well. I've seen people say that they don't join challenges because it's unfair or "rigged." With the scales a bit more balanced in challenges by randomly selecting the teams, I think people would be eager to join and try their luck, seeing as the odds are more likely to be in their favor.
Honestly I can see this not working for flying but this would make dueling a lot more interesting tbh

im all for random dueling challenges beings it’s own challenge game mode. I think this is a fantastic idea

Last edited:

Tang

Graduate
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Tangular123
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Lead Prefect Discord Moderator SPEW Store Manager Lead
Hello @emmamonty18,

Thanks for sending in this suggestion, and I'm happy to say it has been accepted by Arena Leadership! We will not be using random teams in flying, as we believe flying teams are already diverse enough skill-wise. However, we do think that this could be a viable option for the future of some duelling challenges! It's something we will look into more for the future.

Thanks so much again for posting your ideas, and we hope to hear more from you in the future. Have a lovely day!