DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Chest Cooldown

Do you like the three hour cooldown on chests

• Yes

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 64.8%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters

Poppydette

Magician
Minecraft IGN: Poppydette
Honeybadger Dark Follower Phoenix
Thank you for your POV Navyy. I appreciate that you took the time to write it all out and explain your point of view. I understand where you are coming from. I think we can both agree that the chests just give too much gold. I disagree on the mob farming part but that is up to the persons style of playing. There is nothing wrong in your style of playing and I do not think there is anything wrong in my style. I just fear that this change will alter some players (who don't abuse it) style of playing. I liked that there were multiple ways to get items and I am even for them lowering to amount of items that spawn in chests including gold to try to fix this issue that people have noticed. While maybe not go back to 30 minutes, I think and hour to an hour and a half is an acceptable cooldown. Many players are in school and work so they are not able to dedicate as much time as they would like to the upkeep of their shops and the chests runs are a way to assist in that. Again thank you for explaining your POV. I really appreciate it. <3

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
I'm not that knowledgeable in the server's economy, but from what I've read here, it appears that many players do chest runs multiple times in a day to get mob drops and gold, instead of farming mobs and playing minigames.

I feel like the chests are a bandaid to other gameplay loops being unfun/more grindy and instead of asking for more/other ways to make gold/get mob drops, people are rather asking for the bandaid to stay and I do wonder, if the same level of outrage would happen if those other grindy aspects were made harder.

Personal take: Instead of having all chests available, each day 50% of the chests should be deactivated and the active ones should be chosen at random.
As for a situation, where a new player finds a deactivated chest, well, maybe the "You discovered: locations" should be leveraged and if the player enters said location for the first time, all chests will be activated for him for 24 hours in said area.

After all, I believe they're supposed to be a reward for exploring, not a source of income

Yellow_Flower

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: TheVirgoKid101
Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire
I'm level 80, and I find that it's very boring sometimes. The chest runs were fun, and passed time for me. I usually don't do them for the gold, because I end up giving my gold to someone else who needs it in the end. But yeah, this removed a fun activity to do. I don't know what to do in between the 3 hours now, because I am not into dueling or minigames.

NSgaming

Magician
Staff
Minecraft IGN: NSgaming
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Griffin Phoenix Werewolf Lore Keeper Lead Game Designer Lead
Hello everyone! I wanted to quickly come in and try to explain why this change was made, and also ensure that your feedback is being heard and we're taking it into account for the future.
First and foremost, I want to apologize for not creating an announcement about this when it was changed. We have, in the past, not announced small changes like these unless we had other content to release with it, hence why there was initially no announcement. We've changed our policy on this, and from now on, we'll be releasing patch notes whenever there are minor changes being made.
Now, onto the issue at hand with Chests & Cooldowns. While we understand the frustration, we did need to make a change to how hidden chests function. For a few months now, we've been taking a closer look into our economy & our "play flow" (How a player experiences the game, not just "oh, we add quests" but what does an average play session look like? How long are people online and what is there to do in that time?). What stood out to us beyond everything else was the inflation to the economy and the rate at which gold was flowing in, and not out, of the game. When we originally set the prices and cooldowns of hidden chests, we never intended to create a way to essentially get infinite gold by going on chest runs- since we never really imagined having chest runs be a piece of gameplay. Hidden chests were meant to be more something you would stumble upon, grab some loot, and go. The other issue that was, and still does occur, is the imbalance of inflow/outflow of gold. When Revelius first launched, there was a major gold sink, between Crafting, Repairing, and firedust prices. Since Revelius, we've made changes to all three of those systems, eliminating much of the need for gold. However, besides nerfing the gold rewards for the main quests, we didn't nerf the gold from any other methods.
Flash forward to two weeks ago when we launched the Gauntlet. We quickly found that a lot of people were saying that it wasn't worth the time- you could easily be guaranteed tens of thousands of more gold within the one hour if you instead just did chest runs. We then looked towards all of the inputs of gold into the economy and found chest runs to be one of the greatest inputs, generating more gold than almost anything else. What we were then left with was a few options- either increase the gold given from the Gauntlet, along with all of our other methods of gaining gold, to match the rate at which you could get gold from chests, or nerf the gold from chests. We didn't want to nerf the gold from chests, as we wanted to ensure that the core idea of stumbling upon one when exploring would still be rewarding enough for people to want to do them, so we ended up increasing the cooldown for a player to be able to claim the chest. We found this to be the best solution, being able to nerf gold while maintaining the original vision of how chests are used. Do note, that we will be increasing the amount of gold you can get from Gauntlets in the future as well, to make that a better way to obtain them specifically for graduates. I do want to make it clear, to those that enjoy chest runs for the sake of something to do, we have close to 300 chests throughout the server (albeit with different tiers and levels). If you opened 1 chest a minute, it would take you over 5 hours to be able to claim all of them. Even if you're opening 2 chests a minute, it should take you close to 2 and a half hours to be able to complete it. We don't want to discourage the ability to do chest runs, but you may need to explore outside of the graduate towns and create longer runs to be able to do full ones from now on.
In the coming weeks, you'll hear more about our upcoming plans to rework the Gauntlet, as well as introduce Reputations at long last to our world, which will create a new piece of gameplay that we feel will help with the play flow that currently exists on the server. While this change is a controversial one, we stand behind the idea that this was simply a step within a larger plan that we needed to take to ensure the next few releases are desirable, along with trying to stabilize our economy, which we will continue to monitor for the future. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to me (NSgaming#3245 on discord), I'd be happy to discuss it more.
~Noah