DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Discord Channel Names

Cate

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Cateo
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
Heya cool people!!

So for background context, I own a popular discord called Serpent Council, with over 140 members. Being that it's a non-official Potterworld Discord, I've wanted to make it more PW related!

Few weeks back, our council moderators and myself came up with quite a lot of new names for "staff" positions! As example, here were some changes:
Council Admin -> Headmistress

Head Staff -> Professor
Council Member -> Caretaker
Council Moderator -> Council Prefect

Today, with the help of our friend Isa (our Sr. Council Prefect) and other Caretakers, we changed a bit of channel names to make it more PW related! Here were a few changes we made:
General-Discussion -> great-hall

server-announcements -> server-newsletter (all announcement chats have been changed to newsletter)
serpent-discussion -> Serpent-common-room
spammy -> dormitory
music -> ballroom
pets-and-animals -> darkforest-creatures

I thought it would be pretty cool if this was implemented on the discord! Some changes I have in mind are:
Announcements -> Newsletter
general -> great-hall-chat (where most students would communicate on the HP world)
pets-and-animals -> Creatures
random -> dormitory
music -> ballroom[?]

Anyways! Apologies this is quite a long suggestion, or if it has been discussed previously. Would love to know your guys' thoughts upon this!

Hope you all are well, have a magical day! <3
-Cate

Sunnya

Professor
Minecraft IGN: Sunnya
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
To be honest I'm personally not a huge fan of changing the names of the Discord chats. Don't get me wrong, I do think it would be super cute, but it could cause a lot of confusion. Most of these channels have been around for years and even with the self-explanatory names, there are players that get them confused. Keeping the channels simple and easy to understand also encourages people to use them since they're sure as to what they're for.

Also, I think the announcement channel out of all of them should stay as is. This is the main place where players can expect to find new info and they might not understand that (and mute the channel) if it's called Newsletter or something else. Plus, we have the WizNewsletter already hehe. ;)

But yeah it is a really cute idea, Cate! <3 I'd love to hear what others think too. :D

Zmiya

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Zmiy
I actually really do like this idea but unfortunately only for like 10 of the channels, those being the four house channels and the six allegiance/club channels. I don't see it being confusing at all for these to have an extra 'roleplay touch' to them by changing "#serpent-chat" to "#serpent-commons" or "#phoenixes" to "#phoenix-base" for example.

However, for the other channels like #general, #announcements, etc., they should stay the way they are in my opinion. I can see it being confusing if the announcements channel is called newsletter or the general chat is called great-hall.

Awesome idea!

Sunnya

Professor
Minecraft IGN: Sunnya
I don't see it being confusing at all for these to have an extra 'roleplay touch' to them by changing "#serpent-chat" to "#serpent-commons" or "#phoenixes" to "#phoenix-base" for example.
Oh yes! I can agree with that! The more HP/RP ones could work really well if they were changed. :D

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Hiya @Cate!

We always appreciate finding ways to help improve the server and make it fun for everyone! At this time, I'll bring your suggestion up to the rest of the staff team. After discussion and a decision is made, I'll send a response to you!

Thank you for making this suggestion and have a nice day!

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Hi again @Cate!

Thank you again for taking the time to create your suggestion and sharing it with us! After careful consideration from the leadership team, I'd like to inform you that this suggestion has unfortunately been declined. While it could be a cute idea and a nice roleplay/lore addition, it would also be confusing to players who don't realize why the change is happening and just see channel names changing randomly. This would also apply in general because the purposes of different channels might be unclear as well. We would rather have standard channels that might appear in any discord, as that is more accessible and understandable for everyone.

Again, thank you for making this suggestion, and I hope you have a good day!