DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Discord Pronoun Roles

Zoe Pendragon

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: zoe2
Honeybadger Phoenix
Hello! c:

I was talking to some PW friends on a discord server, and we were discussing pronouns & pronoun roles. I brought up how the main PW discord did not have these roles, and someone linked me to this original forum post about it. Here is the link to the original thread, which I would like to discuss: https://potterworldmc.com/threads/new-discord-roles.4039/

The primary issues and reasons for not being accepted, in short, were these:
-Possible misuse of the roles, which may cause offense to others
-An escape environment that could be compromised with the implementation
-Players expressing in ways that may not be included in the roles, possibly excluding/ostracizing them
-People being forced into labeling their identity, feeling pressured

I think all of these issues have resolutions. Some of my other discord servers have pronoun roles, which usually include “she/her”, “he/him”, “they/them”, and an “other” or “ask for pronouns” role. This would theoretically cover all the bases for pronouns, considering the most common pronouns are covered and anything else can be under other/ask. Pronoun roles would be optional, therefore not forcing anyone who is uncomfortable or just doesn’t want to label themselves to choose a role. If you don't want to have these roles, you don't need to participate, and vice versa.

There are two ways I can think of to theoretically misuse these roles. The first being to add all the pronouns as a joke, but I know people who actually do use any/all pronouns so I think genuine misuse would be insignificant. The second would be to pick the pronouns as “other” and then when anyone asks, say something along the lines of “My pronouns are nor/mal” or “I identify as an attack helicopter!!1!” which is just blatant homophobia and would be reported by many people.

A few people in the original thread brought up that you could just put your pronouns in your nickname, which is already done by many people on the discord server. I like being referred to using they/them pronouns, but because my name is Zoe on the PW discord (a typically female name), no one uses they/them unless I put it in my nickname. I know several people on the discord who use nonbinary pronouns & have their pronouns in their nickname as well, but in my perspective, having it there is arguably more ostracizing than having it as a role (as it is less common to see she/her or he/him in a nickname, they/them sticks out). I have never really had this issue in servers where there are pronoun roles because people understand to check other's roles if they are unsure. Implementing pronoun roles would allow people to express their identity without just having it in their nickname, minimize misgendering, and promote LGBTQ+ inclusivity as a whole.

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Minecraft IGN: MattyPoltergeist
Serpent Werewolf
Hello! c:

I was talking to some PW friends on a discord server, and we were discussing pronouns & pronoun roles. I brought up how the main PW discord did not have these roles, and someone linked me to this original forum post about it. Here is the link to the original thread, which I would like to discuss: https://potterworldmc.com/threads/new-discord-roles.4039/

The primary issues and reasons for not being accepted, in short, were these:
-Possible misuse of the roles, which may cause offense to others
-An escape environment that could be compromised with the implementation
-Players expressing in ways that may not be included in the roles, possibly excluding/ostracizing them
-People being forced into labeling their identity, feeling pressured

I think all of these issues have resolutions. Some of my other discord servers have pronoun roles, which usually include “she/her”, “he/him”, “they/them”, and an “other” or “ask for pronouns” role. This would theoretically cover all the bases for pronouns, considering the most common pronouns are covered and anything else can be under other/ask. Pronoun roles would be optional, therefore not forcing anyone who is uncomfortable or just doesn’t want to label themselves to choose a role. If you don't want to have these roles, you don't need to participate, and vice versa.

There are two ways I can think of to theoretically misuse these roles. The first being to add all the pronouns as a joke, but I know people who actually do use any/all pronouns so I think genuine misuse would be insignificant. The second would be to pick the pronouns as “other” and then when anyone asks, say something along the lines of “My pronouns are nor/mal” or “I identify as an attack helicopter!!1!” which is just blatant homophobia and would be reported by many people.

A few people in the original thread brought up that you could just put your pronouns in your nickname, which is already done by many people on the discord server. I like being referred to using they/them pronouns, but because my name is Zoe on the PW discord (a typically female name), no one uses they/them unless I put it in my nickname. I know several people on the discord who use nonbinary pronouns & have their pronouns in their nickname as well, but in my perspective, having it there is arguably more ostracizing than having it as a role (as it is less common to see she/her or he/him in a nickname, they/them sticks out). I have never really had this issue in servers where there are pronoun roles because people understand to check other's roles if they are unsure. Implementing pronoun roles would allow people to express their identity without just having it in their nickname, minimize misgendering, and promote LGBTQ+ inclusivity as a whole.
I still don't *really* see how the roles are that much different from the nickname change (especially seen as the roles would be optional) and I don't really see as the nicknames excluding anyone as (as you said) many people have already done this and I don't exactly see how the role does this less. Even though I do see your point about people checking roles more I feel like people who are not exactly familiar with the roles of the discord wouldn't check them at all and would find it way easier and more obvious to be put in the nickname as if you're having a conversation with someone / talking about someone, it's the name you're going to see first. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the forum, just bringing up a point, i also think that this suggestion didnt really bring up many new points than the other but I suppose the staff team may have changed their mind and that is why you are making it

Last edited:

Alexa Zoldyck

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: AlexShock
Auralock Dark Follower Serpent Vampire
Hey hey hey!

I Just wanna put my thoughts about this out here!

Personally, I see both sides of why this forum is important but also kinda a waste of time. As you stated before many people tend to put their pronouns in their names, which allows their pronouns to be stated. I feel only the same people who have the pronouns in their names would use the roles. From people who are Genderfluid or use Neopronouns or she/they etc, they can have it in their name.

While I see that others might use the pronoun roles, not everyone will check, and will just assume based on the name. That's why I think it's best just to keep it in the name.

The reason I see it might be nice is it will be more inclusive to everyone, even though this server is a very accepting place already.

As Matty stated, people who aren't familiar with discord or the server would just find it easier to put it in their name.

Hello! c:
Some people might actually use those pronouns and arent try to be homophobic, they are just comfortable with those pronouns. Although I haven't seen that before that could be the case.

There could be many things that could bring good with this suggestion, but at the same time bring harm and be inconclusive to people.

Also, Not everyone checks roles.

For this reason, I think I'm going to have to disagree with this forum.

Just my thoughts on this tho <3

~LaceShock//Lace_Zoldyck

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
Implementing pronoun roles would allow people to express their identity without just having it in their nickname, minimize misgendering, and promote LGBTQ+ inclusivity as a whole.
Or you can always @tag people and use they/them if you're unsure what they are.
This option has no need to add XYZ amount of pronouns, no need to check someone's role all the time, no need to ask them for pronouns - like, what do you do if they're offline and don't respond ?
If someone wants to make fun of someone else, they will find a reason anyway. Adding pronouns might just make it a tiny bit easier for those people to troll.

And in the end, even if this was approved, it'll take a looong time to implement, since something simple like a #meme channel, has been under review for 4 months now

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I think it's just easier to have in your nickname. I would probably forget these roles even existed as I never check roles. Also, it's quicker to read their nickname than clicking on their name and seeing the role, it's just an added unnecessary step imo.

Nice idea but I think it's fine how it is now :)

Ashh

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: AzureAsh
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Game Designer Lead
Heya Zoe! Thank you so much for coming to us with your thoughts! We appreciate your opinion and completely understand where you are coming from.

Since the decision was given out for
this thread, the leadership team has not changed its stance on the suggestion. Touching on the original response to that thread, these roles could easily be misused and end up offending others. It would be difficult for us to add a set of roles that everyone would be happy with because there are many ways for someone to identify as. Having a set few pronoun roles may make those who identify differently feel excluded. If Discord users would like to state their pronouns and are comfortable doing so, they are more than welcome to in their username/nickname/status, but we do not want to put pressure on those who are perhaps unsure.

Additionally, as stated previously in the replies to this thread, it is likely that these roles would primarily be used by those who already state their pronouns in either their Discord username/nickname/status. Pronouns being in these places would actually be easier to see than a role, as you would have to click on someone's name in order to see their roles. Due to the previously mentioned reasons, we will be declining this suggestion. Thank you once again!