DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Droobletalk #2 - my feedback

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
Hi everybodi. First of all, I wanna say that I really enjoy the concept of Droobletalks because it was something we were missing for a long time, and it's definitely nice to know what staff plan for the server. Since we're given the opportunity, I believe this is a great time for us (players) to give our thoughts as well, therefore I'm writing this thread. I'll be focusing on droobletalk #2 for now, as a lot of things were addressed it in from part one.
The video started with Droobledore explaining that all systems are new, and I'm glad that he addressed this because I personally saw a lot of people complaining about talents.
First of all, spell trees weren't a good system - they were limiting and extremely annoying to players who enjoyed a variety of activities that involved spells. For example - gauntlets, pvp and mob farming all required different spell trees, and not only did it waste time resetting them each time, but it was also expensive. And the reason that I needed to reset them is because spell trees were only good for a certain amount of specific spells at a time, which means I would be stuck with same set of spell which simply doesn't work for both mobs and pvp.
Talents are way more forgiving and much easier to set up. They don't limit you on which spells you will use, they're just there as a little buff to suit your style - and that's perfect in my opinion.
Back to the Droobletalk - next thing that was mentioned was how our systems don't fluidly work together and I agree with that. "If designed correctly gear should work in pvp and pve" represents the issue with gear very well. If I'm being honest, I would just leave gear as is, or just scrap it. Why? We had gear for 2 years now, and with so much time and effort that went into it - it should work well by now, but it doesn't. I don't think staff should keep trying to make something like gear work because it won't ever work perfectly. With it's current complexity, it's almost impossible to make a gear system that would work well for both pvp and pve. The only way I could see it working is if it barely effected the stats, but at that point I would just scrap it. Another thing is that constant changes discourage players. Many people gave up on dueling because of this, so I would settle down with only talents in pvp for some time.
Professions
I highly disagree with making professions "necessary". I don't like the things that are forced on players, I find them really discouraging. For example, as an old player I'm still angry about us not having warps anymore, all for the sake of "exploring" but 2 years after, I feel like players barely know the map, even the locations in Hogwarts.
Back to professions - obviously this system needs some kind of change, but again, I wouldn't force anyone to get into professions, maybe it should be a new and a good way of getting gold, for example. It was mentioned earlier how potterworld would never go back to an old system, but in this case I would have to disagree because something like the old brewing system worked way better, and was apart of many peoples gameplay and overall economy - obviously a new improved system that would work similar is a better option, but even the same exact old system would be an improvement from this current one so that's something that staff should keep in mind.
Back to talents - I wanna add that talents are also much more flexible when it comes to changing them, and that's a big plus for them. The tiers are easily altered and you can have as many tiers as you would like so again, something that wasn't possible with spell trees. And that is also something to consider while making future systems and changes - making something flexible allows for it to be fixed easily as well. But if you come up with a system like gear, with like a thousands of pieces with 10 different stats on each, and they all need to work together and with other systems - you just set yourself up. This is why I think making gear work with everything is an impossible task.
ECONOMY
I'm super happy that this issue was brought up. Many things that were mentioned are things I constantly talked about and I'm glad that it's finally being recognized on this level. Collectables run the economy as of right now, and that wouldn't be as big of an issue if collectables weren't so easily abusable. I'm mainly targeting the CE stuff rn, we saw how the release of the collectors bag effected the economy and it's crazy to me that people who literally come up with this stuff are also the ones who abuse it the most.
Quests, leveling and other content
I haven't experienced much of post Revelius leveling but from the bit I did, leveling up is pretty grindy and for someone who graduated back when ACs were the main thing, it's crazy to think that you get more XP from farming mobs within the same time you would spend in a class. Quests for me personally are pretty repetitive at this point, I would like to see something NEW and groundbreaking about them if I'm being honest. I do like that the planned content will be evergreen, as Droobledore said. Ik many many hours go into designing quests for the events for example, but those quests will be done during that event and that's it - it's over for that quest. So I would definitely focus on making quests for the world that would stay forever and for events, I would stick to something that could be reusable in future (like the gauntlet for example, we are far away from Kylas storyline, but the revenant gauntlet is still one of the best graduate content we have). I'm also glad that more dungeons are being planned, even tho I was a bit underwhelmed with the fifth battle of Hogwarts one.
Roleplay
To be honest, I'm confused on what's going on with roleplay. I thought the seers were moving under unspeakables, but I'm getting a different vibe from what's Droobledore saying now. Either way, my overall thoughts on roleplay is that it got really complex over the years, and I had a hard time following up to what exactly was going on. I liked the concept of hunts, but the experience wasn't as good for me because at some points, they were very frustrating with all of the bugs and other issues - which just added up to the already complex storyline. Also I didn't like how certain events happened, for example how our rp leaders death was announced in a YouTube video where he got killed by a goblin using flipendo..

What do I hope to see in the next Droobletalk?
More info on what's planned for professions and gear, I would like to hear about some innovations on the server (Drooble mentioned some sort of fire dragons - so maybe something in that direction, like mob bosses or something :eek:), I saw that the spells are being renewed so more info on that...

Anyway, those are my thoughts for now. I think it's important to have conversations like this, especially now when all of the issues and future plans are being addressed - this is the best time to give our feedback :p

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
+1

my own thoughts:

The economy has always been driven by status symbols - it used to take the form of the profession icons in chat/collectibles, which were a sign you had both the time and gold to burn on a cosmetic. People would pay gold for ingredients - not because they actually cared about professions, but as a means to get this symbols. This caused an artificial demand - one that disappeared along with the symbols. So naturally people turned elsewhere, to collectibles. While its hardly fair to say that people did not focus on collectibles before, I noticed an increasing hyper focusing on them in the recent years, with people aiming to have *every* CE collectible, hunt collectible (I totally agree, the RP has descended into madness - very new player unfriendly), and the holy grail: scarves. So yeah, that's my suggestion: add more status symbols - be it things on tab like the drooble star (possible reward for doing impressive side activities, minigames - ex win 1000x of a game for a game related icon, paying an absurd amount of AC (ex 3000? at grad level) for something like a book, or you guessed it, professions. It could also be a classic icon like in chat for old professions.

Basically people wanna flex, let them flex in a way that drives the economy.

also yeah gear is a lost cause

RP needes a reset or at least a refocusing, im a person who fair enough does not really care about the RP, but I have played for many years at this point, and honestly I could not tell you the general plot line - try being a new player who wants to understand the past events.

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
+1

my own thoughts:

The economy has always been driven by status symbols - it used to take the form of the profession icons in chat/collectibles, which were a sign you had both the time and gold to burn on a cosmetic. People would pay gold for ingredients - not because they actually cared about professions, but as a means to get this symbols. This caused an artificial demand - one that disappeared along with the symbols. So naturally people turned elsewhere, to collectibles. While its hardly fair to say that people did not focus on collectibles before, I noticed an increasing hyper focusing on them in the recent years, with people aiming to have *every* CE collectible, hunt collectible (I totally agree, the RP has descended into madness - very new player unfriendly), and the holy grail: scarves. So yeah, that's my suggestion: add more status symbols - be it things on tab like the drooble star (possible reward for doing impressive side activities, minigames - ex win 1000x of a game for a game related icon, paying an absurd amount of AC (ex 3000? at grad level) for something like a book, or you guessed it, professions. It could also be a classic icon like in chat for old professions.

Basically people wanna flex, let them flex in a way that drives the economy.

also yeah gear is a lost cause

RP needes a reset or at least a refocusing, im a person who fair enough does not really care about the RP, but I have played for many years at this point, and honestly I could not tell you the general plot line - try being a new player who wants to understand the past events.
You hit the nail with rp. It's not even that I don't care about rp, its was simply too hard to keep up with.
Now about economy, I talked about this on discord with Noah and the general idea of what I said then was mentioned in Droobletalk. Basically, before, brewing was highly profitable but only the skilled potioneers were able to make a really big profit (considering potions were much harder to brew + they had rarities which effected the price). Materials were needed to brew those potions and they were a HUGE part of the economy - everyone farmed mobs, not for xp, but for getting materials which would later be sold. And all of them were sold and had demand because there werent many of them (15-20 ingridients existed in the whole game). Nowadays only the quest materials get sold, and this is only a one time thing as player would finish that quest and he wont ever need that material again. I would definetly work on this and try to create a natural, player to player, flow of gold and items. And I would create a demand for all of the materials which would be profitable. For example the addition of needing felix fortuna for lacerum heavily boosted the economy for both materials and the potion, and as someone who can brew it, I made a nice profit from it.
We had a natural flow of items and gold - people farm mobs, loot gets sold to other players (and not NPCs, which is important), potions were brewed (the profit depended on your skill) and then finally sold to NPCs. Then for example, even chests runs gave out cakes which were traded for xp bottles which would then be sold to players (again, there is no artificial gold - by "artificial" i mean the gold thats spawned in via NPCs or from the chest itself)
Collectables were always a big thing on potterworld, but the overall player mentality changed. Like you said, many ppl aim to get *every single* collectable. I don't think this is too harmful for economy because collectables are basically running the economy right now BUT the way some collectables are earned is abusable and thats the issue imo.

marmitemira

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: marmitemira
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower SPEW
Hello @Ivan_!

Thank you so much for this detailed feedback! We appreciate your thoughts on Droobletalks, as we love to know how players feel about them. We're pleased you agree with many of the topics brought up, such as Talents, gear, and the economy. The feedback you provided on quests, leveling, and other content is something to be regarded and will be considered for future gameplay. Furthermore, your comments on Professions are valuable, and we appreciate your view on the topic.
We hope the recent and future Droobletalks are enjoyable and that you find there is helpful information provided in them. If you have any comments on them, we would love to hear what you think! Thank you again, and have a great day!