DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Dueling tournament gear

arne ☾

Notable Magician
Staff
Minecraft IGN: tqrpiar
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Lead Lore Master Lead
Hello!

Now, I'll start this off immediately by saying that I'm not a duelist myself, but this is something that occured to me, if I make any mistakes, please correct me if I'm wrong
Dueling tournaments are often tournaments only graduates attend because of the gear and the spells they've aquired over their course at PW, meaning that not a lot of people can participate because not everyone is lvl 80
People who aren't grads usually don't even bother joining in on them because they're aware that they don't stand a chance, so a lot of people that could earn HP end up not even signing in

I'm aware there is an entire discussion regarding gear and it's pros and cons, but I was wondering whether during dueling chances that everyone gets given the same gear & spells
Hereby a lot more people can attend and there can be fair fights, meaning it depends on the players skill of doing combos and taking out their opponent that way

Again, I don't duel so I'm not sure whether this is a thing duelists agree with or whether this is possible at all, but I'd love to hear some thoughts of duelists to see what they think of it
Thank ya!

Joel Crestello

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Joelowo
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
It definitely would be interesting and generally more balanced and fair but many peoples sets rely on specific factors that they have maxed out. For example, a jinx healer hybrid relies on having high jinx and high healing, and the spells they use complement that. If the sets were all made to be generic then the jinx healer hybrid would no longer be a jinx healer hybrid as their healing and damage would be capped at the generic gear set number. Another example is lets say a curse/transfig main that relies on a set that reduces their cast time. Given a generic set that doesn't have that would basically make their whole set up useless. A lot of spells in the spell trees require specific gear set ups which compliment them such as curse/transfig spells preferring low cast time to be much quicker and on par with skill-shot spells, charms and jinx spells preferring debuff duration with stupeficus stuns and more.

Something like this, whilst fair, would probably be a bit boring to watch or play as well since everyone would have to adjust to a dueling tournament meta of spells which do not have any sort of reliability on gear attributes such as debuff duration, low cooldowns, low cast times, etc etc. Some may find that fun but in my opinion it could get pretty stale pretty quickly.

arne ☾

Notable Magician
Staff
Minecraft IGN: tqrpiar
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Lead Lore Master Lead
It definitely would be interesting and generally more balanced and fair but many peoples sets rely on specific factors that they have maxed out. For example, a jinx healer hybrid relies on having high jinx and high healing, and the spells they use complement that. If the sets were all made to be generic then the jinx healer hybrid would no longer be a jinx healer hybrid as their healing and damage would be capped at the generic gear set number. Another example is lets say a curse/transfig main that relies on a set that reduces their cast time. Given a generic set that doesn't have that would basically make their whole set up useless. A lot of spells in the spell trees require specific gear set ups which compliment them such as curse/transfig spells preferring low cast time to be much quicker and on par with skill-shot spells, charms and jinx spells preferring debuff duration with stupeficus stuns and more.

Something like this, whilst fair, would probably be a bit boring to watch or play as well since everyone would have to adjust to a dueling tournament meta of spells which do not have any sort of reliability on gear attributes such as debuff duration, low cooldowns, low cast times, etc etc. Some may find that fun but in my opinion it could get pretty stale pretty quickly.
Aa that makes a lot of sense honestly, like I don't know much about dueling whatsoever so this helps a lot
perhaps things like 'kits' or anything for people to pick from before the dueling starts?

I think it'd overall be nice for people of different years to be able to do dueling tournaments instead of only grads, that's why I was trying to think of something

Sticktrees

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: SmellyBigBro
Dark Follower Griffin
Aa that makes a lot of sense honestly, like I don't know much about dueling whatsoever so this helps a lot
perhaps things like 'kits' or anything for people to pick from before the dueling starts?

I think it'd overall be nice for people of different years to be able to do dueling tournaments instead of only grads, that's why I was trying to think of something
Even before Revelius, it was mostly graduates participating in dueling tournaments because of the amount of experience some players have and how as you level you get much better spells that are able to counter better and spells that would keep you alive longer.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
As a person who made it to dueling finals on low level accounts before due to my excellent death avoidance techniques (who knew people didnt like to fight in rivers?), it was not fun then for lower levels either. You simply did not have the spells to succeed and win even with no inherent stat bonus.

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Hiya @tqrpiar!

Thank you for taking the time and consideration on making this suggestion, as we're always looking for way to improve the server and make it fun and fair for everyone! At this time, I'll bring up your suggestion to the Poltergeist team. Keep an eye on your thread, as I'll update you as soon as possible once your suggestion has gone through discussion and received a response.

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Heya again @tqrpiar!

Sorry for the wait! After careful consideration and discussion amongst the staff and leadership team, I've come to inform you that your suggestion has been declined. Unfortunately, Tournaments are never going to be completely "fair." They are meant to be geared more towards end-game graduate content due to experience and skill that is learned over time. For lower-leveled players, we do have classes they can attend where they are able to duel players in the same level range and gain experience and skill over time. In addition to this, we like the uniqueness that gear provides players and do not want to take that away. Regardless of this, we hope that you continue to make more suggestions and share them with us!

Thank you again for creating your suggestion and I hope you have a fantastic day!