DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Economy thread (In-Depth)

gregoryvalyrian

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: GregoryValyrian
Raven
Hi there,
most of you dont know me yet, but Im a player who uses the /ch trade pretty often and I've been paying attention to the PotterworldMC economy and I have to admit that it's a bit confusing and maybe even messy at turns? This might seem like a little rant at first but I'm really trying to explain my insight. And what might help.

Let's start with a few examples.
- You can sell items via vendors. They buy f.e. a stack of 10 level70 items for 8gold. 8! By comparison a 'high' level broom costs 90.000 gold at the moment. 90K/8 gold per stack= 11250 stacks *10 items per stack= 112.500 monsters to kill. I get that a broom is an investment for sure, but who has the time to grind this much? If you do I mean that's fine maybe it's just me.
- Potions (and other previous careers) are dead. Noone seems to use them at all, the price to make them is more than the price they sell for... Which is sad, because I used to love potioneering in 2018.
- Not to mention that when you are a returning player (like I am) you get 0 support in this?! All the monsters you grinded for hours previously just turn to dust in your inventory and you get nothing in return, 0 gold, you just have to start killing low lvl monsters as if youve never wasted hours upon hours before and it kind of feels like returning players are given no support grip to hold on to, to restart money-wise. (but this might be a seperate thread by itself)
- Boomslang venom, an item on-demand, costs around 14 (at the moment) gold, while runespoor venom, a drop from a level 70+ monster is worth 1!! gold. This is just ridiculous. I get that since it isnt on demand (it is a potion ingredient but potions arent being used at all) economy works that way but it's way harder to kill a runespoor than a boomslang and the reward in comparison doesnt add up.

Now that there are some quick examples I could think of established, let's brainstorm (please do so as well down below in the comments!) about how to make it work for both game and players.
In my opinion (idk if this is possible of course) there should be fixed prices or at least some kind of price range. I'm in favor of higher, fixed prices for higher level items in general (because higher level players could more easily get the gold to pay for them) IF of course the higher level players get more gold for their items so it's balanced. Make the boomslang venom 14gold and the runespoor venom 70gold for example. This will make the potion it's needed for more expensive by default as well (if people think the effect of the potion is worth it of course, I dont see many use them atm but I've only been back since recently).

I understand that the revelius update (I loved btw) and the game is focusing more on questing now, which indeed grants a nice amount of gold, but if the vendors might reward the grind of killing mobs a bit more as well that would be nice. Especially because gear upgrades cost a lot, the recipes sold in the market are 300-700 while the vendor gives you 15 for that recipe. This seems to be a bit unbalanced. Maybe different cities, according to the level give better vendor prices? It's not a super fair system but rewards leveling?

In general, I'm sure the community is pretty strong, and certainly willing to sit together and talk about the needs of both players and the makers, to create a more balanced economy for all players, get potions (sorry I really love them) running again etc! Let me know what your suggestions or remarks are below! And if you think I'm just talking some gibberish let me know as well!

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
Hi there,
most of you dont know me yet, but Im a player who uses the /ch trade pretty often and I've been paying attention to the PotterworldMC economy and I have to admit that it's a bit confusing and maybe even messy at turns? This might seem like a little rant at first but I'm really trying to explain my insight. And what might help.

Let's start with a few examples.
- You can sell items via vendors. They buy f.e. a stack of 10 level70 items for 8gold. 8! By comparison a 'high' level broom costs 90.000 gold at the moment. 90K/8 gold per stack= 11250 stacks *10 items per stack= 112.500 monsters to kill. I get that a broom is an investment for sure, but who has the time to grind this much? If you do I mean that's fine maybe it's just me.
- Potions (and other previous careers) are dead. Noone seems to use them at all, the price to make them is more than the price they sell for... Which is sad, because I used to love potioneering in 2018.
- Not to mention that when you are a returning player (like I am) you get 0 support in this?! All the monsters you grinded for hours previously just turn to dust in your inventory and you get nothing in return, 0 gold, you just have to start killing low lvl monsters as if youve never wasted hours upon hours before and it kind of feels like returning players are given no support grip to hold on to, to restart money-wise. (but this might be a seperate thread by itself)
- Boomslang venom, an item on-demand, costs around 14 (at the moment) gold, while runespoor venom, a drop from a level 70+ monster is worth 1!! gold. This is just ridiculous. I get that since it isnt on demand (it is a potion ingredient but potions arent being used at all) economy works that way but it's way harder to kill a runespoor than a boomslang and the reward in comparison doesnt add up. About the returning players, I can totally understand that because I am one of those people (even tho I returned before revelius), it was a hit to all the players because we all needed to get gear and get used to the new map..

Now that there are some quick examples I could think of established, let's brainstorm (please do so as well down below in the comments!) about how to make it work for both game and players.
In my opinion (idk if this is possible of course) there should be fixed prices or at least some kind of price range. I'm in favor of higher, fixed prices for higher level items in general (because higher level players could more easily get the gold to pay for them) IF of course the higher level players get more gold for their items so it's balanced. Make the boomslang venom 14gold and the runespoor venom 70gold for example. This will make the potion it's needed for more expensive by default as well (if people think the effect of the potion is worth it of course, I dont see many use them atm but I've only been back since recently).

I understand that the revelius update (I loved btw) and the game is focusing more on questing now, which indeed grants a nice amount of gold, but if the vendors might reward the grind of killing mobs a bit more as well that would be nice. Especially because gear upgrades cost a lot, the recipes sold in the market are 300-700 while the vendor gives you 15 for that recipe. This seems to be a bit unbalanced. Maybe different cities, according to the level give better vendor prices? It's not a super fair system but rewards leveling?

In general, I'm sure the community is pretty strong, and certainly willing to sit together and talk about the needs of both players and the makers, to create a more balanced economy for all players, get potions (sorry I really love them) running again etc! Let me know what your suggestions or remarks are below! And if you think I'm just talking some gibberish let me know as well!
I agree that the economy is kinda broken now. You make the most gold from quests, a huge amount of gold actually, but after that there are not many ways to get gold other than farming mobs. Now the problem with that is that the worth of materials that you sell to the NPC is lower than before revelius, and you depend on your luck with getting rare recipes that are worth a lot. Now about the material prices that you see in the marketplace - those are made by the playerbase. Boomslang venom is a item needed for a quest and thats why people are paying a lot for it. On the other hand, runspore venom is 1 gold and nobody is buying it because nobody needs it, as you said nobody brews potions because theres no point of doing that, theres no profit. Potterworld created their own potion system (again..) and I think theyre still figuring out a good alternative for the first potion plugin that we had, something that people would do to earn gold. Lastly I didnt understand your math about the thunderflash, I counted myself and Im pretty sure you need 7200 materials to craft it (which is still a huge number).

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
I agree that the economy is kinda broken now. You make the most gold from quests, a huge amount of gold actually, but after that there are not many ways to get gold other than farming mobs. Now the problem with that is that the worth of materials that you sell to the NPC is lower than before revelius, and you depend on your luck with getting rare recipes that are worth a lot. Now about the material prices that you see in the marketplace - those are made by the playerbase. Boomslang venom is a item needed for a quest and thats why people are paying a lot for it. On the other hand, runspore venom is 1 gold and nobody is buying it because nobody needs it, as you said nobody brews potions because theres no point of doing that, theres no profit. Potterworld created their own potion system (again..) and I think theyre still figuring out a good alternative for the first potion plugin that we had, something that people would do to earn gold. Lastly I didnt understand your math about the thunderflash, I counted myself and Im pretty sure you need 7200 materials to craft it (which is still a huge number).
Their math was based off of killing mobs in order to get gold to pay for the broom.

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
Their math was based off of killing mobs in order to get gold to pay for the broom.
Ah I see. But you get gold from recipes, which is what Ive talked about (how you depend on luck and the recipes that youre gonna get and not on the actual amount of time that you spent farming since tge materials give you almost no gold compared to selling the recipes)

mckenna varulv ❦

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: xokenna
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I've been paying attention to the PotterworldMC economy and I have to admit that it's a bit confusing and maybe even messy at turns?
I agree. Even though I am a new player, (Joined November) I find the economy extremely challenging. It's so difficult getting gold, and I agree that potioneering is dead.

gregoryvalyrian

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: GregoryValyrian
Raven
Hi there!
Yes exactly, you prove my point twice!
- So basically you depend on getting lucky with gear recipes and HOPING that other players buy yours at the price you think it's worth. Because the vendors won't even give you a lot for good gear recipes anyway.
- about the venoms as well, because potions are broken boomslang venom, a quest item, is worth more than a higher level potion ingredient. That's just not right. I guess Potioneering would have to be fixed and balanced (also within the economy) first.

About the counting, as someone replied before, I indeed count the amount of materials you need in total not counting in recipes. Which we can agree on is an absurd amount.

suzie

Notable Magician
Staff
Minecraft IGN: 20zuzka04
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Vampire Prefect SPEW Sr. Poltergeist
Hello there @gregoryvalyrian,

First of all, we want to deeply apologise for the delay with an answer to you, and to all that have replied to this thread. We were mainly focused on adding new gameplay, as well as fixing some issues that came with some aspects of the Revelius Update.

That being said, let's get into the answers! In the recent Droobletalk, here , it was mentioned how the economy is currently planned to be changed. As it has been stated in the blog, we understand how the collectables, materials or valuable items aren't really in a huge need. The materials are mainly being bought whenever newer players have troubles with grinding the mobs for their items or just older players needing them for gameplay updates, such as Reputations that are currently happening. By doing various quests players need to gather plants and mob loot.

Now that our gameplay has been updated, as well as the majority of the Revelius' update's issues being resolved, we would love to start paying more attention to the economy. We understand that right now it is not in its best condition and we aim to change it. We plan to make changes that will create a more balanced and flourishing economy. We hear you stating your concerns about gear and that has changed slightly, we've introduced talents. Player can invest those talents into certain spells and it would change their value. It will affect ones gameplay as players can decide on spells themselves.

When it comes to mob loot prices, it all varies on the player. Currently with the Reputations happening, more and more players are buying needed materials from other players to save some time and sellers then increase the price of certain mob loot, to earn more gold. We have implemented a more accurate average price, but also it mainly depends on a player whether they consider that price or not. Also when it comes to brooms, they no longer need materials that cost extra gold so it makes it far less grind to get them.

We hope that those answers have helped with your feedback and questions! We are very happy to see players giving their opinions on certain things connected to server so we know how to make the experience more enjoyable.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
the issue is pretty simple

the only drain on supplies is quests and rep

games like runescape have supply drains for skilling + pveing

rn pve buying supplies isnt economical for gauntlet and a waste of time for everything else

no demand = no functional eco

the most potions ive seen used have been in the dueling halls w/ people trolling