DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Feedback on the new Droobletalk Systems Blog

Samuel

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: SamuelTM
Griffin Phoenix
EDIT: I have been told by some very cool people that the Talents system is actually worked out properly this time and that duelists contributed to making it balanced. I feel that like that it is better than Spell Trees so I retract everything I said about talents being inferior to spell trees. My last paragraphs still stand tho. Also the fact that I was misinformed is because of the blog not mentioning anything about the player testing and the fact that the talents were actually gonna be good this time, instead the blog kinda led on that it was gonna be similar to the Prevelius talents. nice communication potterworld.

Like many Potterworld players I watched the new Droobletalk that came out today. I was excited for it, but when I finished watching the video my mood was a whole lot worse than I had expected. I believe that some of the things mentioned in the blog are completely unnecessary and will do nothing but harm to the server and the community. In this thread I will be discussing everything that is said in the blog and pick everything apart.

The blog starts with a robot-sounding voice introducing the new set of blogs that Potterworld will be uploading onto their youtube channel. In the very first slide we can already spot a mistake: The date is wrong
Screenshot 2022-05-09 185322.png

I am pretty sure that today is the 9th of May and not the 10th of April.
Now of course this can be the date that the blog was recorded, in that case it's just a classic moment of Potterworld being slow. But that could also mean that some of the information discussed in the video is now outdated, as the staff team is constantly discussing the items mentioned in the blog. In either way it's just a tiny sloppy mistake, let's start with actually discussing the many items mentioned in the blog.

The video starts with Drooble talking about the purpose of these blogs. He talks about providing the community with more transparency into the development process. This is something that Potterworld has been lacking in the past so I really appreciate that they're taking the effort to fix their problems.

He begins the actual blog with talking about player polls. According to him there have been several player polls in the past few months about specific aspects of Potterworlds core system. This is a bit nitpicky but "a few" usually is 2 or 3 months. The player polls were released 4 and 7 months ago. In a hindsight this might not matter a lot, but it's actually very relevant. One of these polls was sent out over half a year ago, this means that the results are outdated and that the current player base could think very differently about the subject of the poll as many people that voted in the poll are no longer active, just like the gameplay the player base is also constantly evolving. The results are thus no longer relevant. Another thing is that it's very inefficient to use player polls for something this major, because literally anyone can vote. Many players might just go with the crowd or not read the question at all and vote something random or might not be informed properly about the subject. Using player polls that anyone can vote on just doesn't really work for something this major, even less if they were sent out such a long time ago.

Now let’s talk about the first poll, about Leveling Progression and Spells.
The result of this poll was that people would rather choose which spells they would learn if they leveled up instead of the current system with predetermined spells for each level.
I love this idea, it makes the game more immersive and lets you control your character more than you can right now, I also completely agree with their insights. . Overall this seems like a great addition.

Onto the second poll, concerning Spell Trees and Talents.
EDIT: Most of this below is retracted cause I was misinformed, scroll up pls.
With this poll and its results I have serious issues.
The entire idea to replace Spell Trees with Talents does not make sense at all in my opinion.
It has been constantly mentioned by the staff team that the server and its core systems are continuously evolving, yet in practice they are not trying to evolve the server at all.
The current system is the result of this constant evolution, it is a balanced system that only needs a small amount of tinkering. Yet the staff team is now working to undo years of evolution and bring back an old system that I find to be underdeveloped. The talent system is simply too simple and basic. Other servers use the same concept. What makes the Potterworld combat system unique is its complexity and originality.
According to Drooble the spell trees are too complex, but they really aren’t so hard to understand if you spend just a little time and effort into it. Most people who complain about it being too difficult simply haven’t taken the time to try and understand how it works. Should the entire dueling community who have no problem with understanding it be affected by the lazy few who don’t even try to understand it? The part that was really complex about the dueling system was the gear, which has since been removed from dueling entirely.
The spell trees are the balance between the oversimplification of talents and overcomplexity of gear. There is absolutely no reason to remove this balance and bring back talents.

Drooble continues talking about how Potterworld is an ever-changing world that is on the road to its next evolution.
But removing everything and bringing back an old system that doesn’t do good to Potterworlds massive capabilities when it comes to designing a fun, interactive magic-based combat system is not an evolution. It also says that they are constantly measuring what the community enjoys, yet they are basing their updates on a few outdated polls that don’t accurately measure what the community wants. One poll every 4 months is NOT constant measuring.

Next he talks about what is on the horizon and he finally stops talking about the unneeded changing of core systems.
This is where it finally gets interesting in a good way. New repeatable quests in between main quests and new reputations and rewards in all towns.
I am looking forward to this. This is the extra gameplay that the community wants. This will keep things interesting for newer players and make the experience more fun for older players as well.
He then talks about the First Year Experience, which is absolutely crucial to upholding an active player base and community. The new tutorials that he proposes seem like a good beginning to improve the First Year Experience and I look forward to seeing the product of this as well.

He goes on to mention other upcoming additions to the Potterworld gameplay: A new town, a new questline and new fast travel points.
These all seem very fun and I already look forward to seeing them.
This is what the players want, more immersive quests and storylines, not a complete rework of a system that works fine.
I suggest that the staff team works more on this instead and adds more content for players to discover.

A few things that could be added are:

- Potterworld Legend. If you want to bring something Prevelius back then bring back Potterworld Legend. I personally loved completing this and getting a huge reward, I actually did it for the first time on the day before Revelius. A suggestion to bring it back was accepted 2 years ago, and I suggested several ideas for it a year ago. I really hope Potterworld Legend makes a return soon.

- More storylines. For example, do something with the other magical schools. Right now we have held events in several other magical schools and even have flying maps of some, I think it’s time for them to be introduced in the actual map. Every school could have its own unique storyline, you could for example be participating in the Triwizard Championship or be an exchange student. This would make the experience more exhilarating for everyone.

Another thing that is mentioned is changes to the Enemy AI. I think that Drooble makes valid points concerning this and that these changes are indeed much needed.
Although I must say that the examples shown look rather disorganized and out of place with the rest of the blog.

He then begins to talk about something that sunk my heart: Roleplay.
As some of you probably know, I have been active in roleplay for over two years and it is one of my favourite things about Potterworld. It absolutely pained me to see what they were changing with it.
Drooble says that the staff team has made the hard decision to solidify the core systems at the cost of the Seer team.
This is absolutely ridiculous and I am frankly infuriated.
Solidifying the core systems wasn’t necessary to begin with from what I’ve heard, but now you’re sacrificing one of the best parts of Potterworld to do it? And for what? To make a Potterworld storyline? That is basically what the Seers are doing right now. There are Lore Keepers and other roles that can come up with whatever still needs to be added to the storyline, there is absolutely no need to let roleplay implode because of it! Because that is what most certainly is going to happen. Roleplay has been relatively inactive for the past months and this will be the final blow. Roleplay will not survive the removal of its backbone, the incredible Seer team. Right now people are already talking about how they will fill the void, and this could very much be possible, but I doubt that roleplay will ever be as lively without the Seer team as it is with the Seer Team.

Frankly, I don’t know what else to say, I am lost for words. If these changes go through one of my favourite aspects of Potterworld, roleplay, will be possibly ruined by it and for what reason? Personally I have no idea what the actual reason is, I don’t know what is so wrong with Potterworlds core systems that requires this much attention and negative impact on the things that keep up my will to play on Potterworld.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

_Klene

Magician
Minecraft IGN: kleneupcuzstink
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
As far the comments about the current situation for dueling (unofficial opinions):

Spell trees, in my opinion, are very limiting and force players down a certain tree. This goes against the idea of duelists being able to be their own unique duelist. With talents you can affect a widespread of spells per a talent without feeling restricted with others because you can't contribute spell points to it.

From the results of a poll answered by players, talents made its return. However, talents was still developed upon. During the player testing of talents, the community was very involved. Many avid duelists partook in the testing and even gave magic balance suggestions. The process was very communicative.

Stardusted Weirdo

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: The_Blue_Lady_
Phoenix Raven
This, all of this.

Roleplay is one of most grasping factors in keeping Graduates engaged and on the Server. Without the Seers, it will indeed be left up to the community to fully pick up the thing keeping them on the server. Already there has been a decrease in connection and care between unofficial and official roleplay, now this just will solidify the drop of support from the server its hosted on.

Roleplay will go on but it's fate is really left in the unknown and even if there is statements of more to come, its not believable. As someone who had given the upmost respect for all the Staff teams and the development behind the server, and now after everything has happened not just this, I cannot trust it. I can't trust it will be soon, I can't trust it will be OK, I don't believe there is intention to even care about the roleplay community anymore. Or at all for the past couple months. If there's active push back in people who have tried to defend the players who adore making their stories within the world of this server, then there's really little incentive for us to do anything but scrape ourselves together as players, sit there and watch roleplay die or leave potterworld.

For now, all I can do is accept what time I have left and hopefully support my all fellow roleplayers through this time.

Last edited:

EdenLovesMommy

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: EdenLovesMommy
Auralock Dark Follower Raven
my laptop broke down for a bit but I've spent a lot of time in halls in the past weeks lol
Ok this still doesn’t make sense spell tree is trash in comparison to talents, especially considering the new talents system has been tested and balance by actual duelists instead of non duelist staff judgement. This is the first time staff and players have worked together to make a dueling system and it is amazing.

Samuel

Notable Magician
Griffin Phoenix
Ok this still doesn’t make sense spell tree is trash in comparison to talents, especially considering the new talents system has been tested and balance by actual duelists instead of non duelist staff judgement. This is the first time staff and players have worked together to make a dueling system and it is amazing.
That should have been mentioned in the blog then cause that actually sounds very promising and better than spell trees. I assumed that it would've been like the old system, because that was what they mentioned in the blog. Like I said I was gone for a bit so I didn't know that it was tested like that.

TheDoctorIsIn

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: TheDoctorIsIn
Honeybadger Auralock
As an ex RP lead (6 years ago), I have seen the progression of RP throughout the years and have been part of some of the many discussion that Droobles has spoken about. As I left my RP position, change had been proposed to start then to improve the, then current roleplay system. RP has always been a HUGE part of Potterworld. It's the reason why I joined. Potterworld was 'sold' to me as a Roleplaying server, it's what I fell in love with and one of the reasons why I eventually joined the staff team. After a few years in the background, the current RP community have drawn me back into things once more. So the news that RP is going to change, is quite a shock if I'm honest. I really thought the last few events of The Hunt have been some of the best RP experiences that I've had since coming back. Until I know the full facts about this new merging of sections, I'm trying to stay neutral. Will RP carry on? Perhaps, but not to the extent it has been.

Sticktrees

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: SmellyBigBro
Dark Follower Griffin
That should have been mentioned in the blog then cause that actually sounds very promising and better than spell trees. I assumed that it would've been like the old system, because that was what they mentioned in the blog. Like I said I was gone for a bit so I didn't know that it was tested like that.
I would recommend not generalizing most of the dueling community without getting others' opinions on the matter. Especially after a long period of time not being involved. Personally, I think when talents are released it will probably be the most balanced system in roughly 2 years.

I don’t know what is so wrong with Potterworlds core systems that requires this much attention and negative impact on the things that keep up my will to play on Potterworld.
The foundation of Potterworld realistically is hanging by a thread because everything is connected to everything else and moving one piece of the puzzle will mess everything else up. They are trying to set up more individual systems, that way balancing and other needed changes can be implemented with few issues. For example, spell trees crippled any chance of balancing because it factored both PVP and PVE so dueling could never be balanced so they had to find a new system (talents). Talents have to sides PVP and PVE and they do not affect each other to my knowledge.

Samuel

Notable Magician
Griffin Phoenix
I would recommend not generalizing most of the dueling community without getting others' opinions on the matter. Especially after a long period of time not being involved. Personally, I think when talents are released it will probably be the most balanced system in roughly 2 years.

The foundation of Potterworld realistically is hanging by a thread because everything is connected to everything else and moving one piece of the puzzle will mess everything else up. They are trying to set up more individual systems, that way balancing and other needed changes can be implemented with few issues. For example, spell trees crippled any chance of balancing because it factored both PVP and PVE so dueling could never be balanced so they had to find a new system (talents). Talents have to sides PVP and PVE and they do not affect each other to my knowledge.
I agree that I shouldn't have generalized it like that, and I have already removed the comment that generalized the dueling community. After hearing what Eden said I must agree that it will probably be more balanced than the systems we've had recently.

And thank you for clearing that up, ngl that should have been mentioned in the blog. I do think that it's silly that that is mentioned as one of the reasons that the Seers and Unspeakables are merging.

Llama

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: iSpitLikeALlama
Auralock Griffin Werewolf
Since the maintenance, two of the biggest updates in a while have been released. I don’t think that’s a coincidence. From what I know, Potterworld’s backend and core systems were really out of date and the update allowed the devs to write code much simpler and therefore push updates faster. The maintenance benefitted potterworld a lot, from what I know.

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
This, all of this.

Roleplay is one of most grasping factors in keeping Graduates engaged and on the Server. Without the Seers, it will indeed be left up to the community to fully pick up the thing keeping them on the server. Already there has been a decrease in connection and care between unofficial and official roleplay, now this just will solidify the drop of support from the server its hosted on.

Roleplay will go on but it's fate is really left in the unknown and even if there is statements of more to come, its not believable. As someone who had given the upmost respect for all the Staff teams and the development behind the server, and now after everything has happened not just this, I cannot trust it. I can't trust it will be soon, I can't trust it will be OK, I don't believe there is intention to even care about the roleplay community anymore. Or at all for the past couple months. Theres those who have fought for the community privately have been ignored, met with warnings or even punishment. If there's active push back in people who have tried to defend the players who adore making their stories within the world of this server, then there's really little incentive for us to do anything but scrape ourselves together as players, sit there and watch roleplay die or leave potterworld.

For now, all I can do is accept what time I have left and hopefully support my all fellow roleplayers through this time.
1. Seers will still exist under another team - Roleplay isn't going anywhere.
2. I'm actually happy that a bigger team will have a closer overview on what's going on with roleplay bc of several things. First, I wanna say that some recent roleplay happenings simply weren't good. One of the most recent one is how our auralock leaders death got "announced" via a YouTube video where he dies to a goblin using flipelius. That's just sad in my opinion. Second reason why I'm happy for this change is because the roleplay will be more connected to the actual gameplay. And finally, why is it a bad thing that a bigger team has the power of controlling the roleplay?
3. Whatever the staff team decides to do, that shouldn't and can't stop the unofficial roleplay.

Ashh

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: AzureAsh
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Game Designer Lead
Hia @Samuel! Thanks so much for coming to us with your feedback regarding the first Droobletalk! We really appreciate you sharing your point of view on some of the points you have mentioned above.

There was quite a lot of communication between players and staff regarding Talents testing on Discord, as there was a forum post made to sign up on Talents testing in which everyone had the ability to join and test for themselves. Additionally, we wanted to briefly cover the various points in the video. There has been a second Droobletalk posted addressing some of the concerns about the Roleplay move and some other general concerns about Potterworld currently which will give you more information on the concerns you have. There will be further talks posted on the channel talking about different topics which will contain more answers to questions you may have. If there are still aspects of the talks or anything that is mentioned that you have questions or concerns about, you are welcome to post again on the forums. Thank you once again!