DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

gear rant/feedback

Magma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: MagmaC4
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Potterworld pretty much screwed themselves over with gear. For one it kinda ruined dueling classes. Before you could join a dueling class and be put in the same pit of players who are years ahead of you and still have a chance. That means house FFA, hunger games, and team duels could be played, but now it's just all year FFA. Hunger games can still be played I guess but like half of the class hates it and it's only done once a week. And almost the entire dueling community dislikes gear. They ruined a whole part of the server and for what? To give players an incentive to kill mobs and spend gold? And it's not even fun to get gear. You have to kill mobs for hours and they literally ALL have the same attack pattern, a teleport and an attack spell. And it leaves you crippled for money. I can only imagine what it's like for a lower year to grind for gold to advance after revelius. I get that pw is trying to be an MMORPG, but they just went wrong with this part.

Potterworld's gameplay loop currently is: Quest until you have none left - wait for multiple classes to level - quest until you realize your gear is terrible and you have to stop and grind mobs - grind for gold so you can craft the gear - go back to a town to craft the gear - repeat.

Other popular RPGs / MMORPGs' gameplay loop are: Quest until you have none left - get loot from quests or from PvE - quest until you are too under-leveled or too under-geared - clear a dungeon or world boss - repeat,

They look similar but I find myself having much more fun with other games than playing on Potterworld. I think it's because other games have much more cohesive gameplay. You can continuously play without having to stop all the time. If you need to stop in these other games to level you still have reasonably fun content. Potterworld is exactly the opposite of that. After you've done all the quests you can the only way to level are classes. (Don't say you can kill mobs or do minigames to level. Mobs give you pitiful experience and doing the minigame daily activities are only useful for like 2 years) You have to wait for classes. The players are left powerless in this situation. We can't do anything about classes not happening, it's out of our reach. It's not like a challenging dungeon or world boss, there is nothing the player can do to level faster and that's a problem. And the way they implemented gear is odd. I know in other games you can craft gear, but mostly you get it casually from killing mobs or finding loot, not crafting. In Potterworld the only way to get gear is to craft it. There is no other way. That means every time you need better gear you have to drop everything and grind. You need a recipe for the specific slot you want to upgrade, enough materials to craft it, and the gold to craft it. Each of these steps can take a pretty significant amount of time to complete, making for a gameplay loop of: stop - play - stop - play - repeat. What I'm trying to get at is that crafting gear and leveling requiring classes hold back potterworld from being a fun, cohesive experience.

I've noticed that gear stats don't matter unless you want to duel. You can get by with conflicting gear recipes and you'd be fine. The only things that matter are the damage on the hand item and the health on the other pieces. If you go up to someone right now in game and they aren't a grad you would see all sorts of bad stats. It doesn't matter when you're just trying to level. The raw damage on your hand is enough to get by, and a lot of players have recognized that. Even if you wanted to get a decent set you couldn't even grind specifically for it, because all drops are RNG, You would have to hope that someone is selling it, which is pretty much impossible for someone under lvl 71. I'm not saying that players should be forced to run sets that make sense, I'm just pointing out that most people don't care for gear and are really only getting it because they need it to progress.

It's been almost exactly 5 months since the only gear change, and that was because you could make a set that was either overpowered or unplayable. The dueling community, and entire player base in general has to deal with a broken system that really didn't have to change in the first place. The reason why I said Potterworld screwed themselves over in the first sentence is because they really did just mess up. There are over 1000 gear items they have to change in order to make this game enjoyable again, and even then I guarantee you they won't get it right the first time. And during these 5 months I haven't heard diddly squat about what's happening with gear changes. A new Head of Systems just got hired earlier this month, they’re the one that is in charge of gear and magic as far as I'm aware. Does that mean all the progress that the previous one did is going to waste? Did the previous one even get any progress done? We are all left in the dark about what's happening, that's why you are seeing more and more players, especially duelists, move away from the server. Only a handful of people that I’ve met two years ago have stayed this long to see Potterworld today.

Here is a bulleted list of pretty much the main points I made:
- gear was a mistake
- ruined the variety that dueling classes had, made them boring
- entire dueling community dislikes it
- traded all of that for what?
- the grind is boring, and worse than other games
- mobs are all the same
- crafting gear leaves players in financial turmoil
- crafting gear is just a chore. it would honestly be fine to cut the middle man and have recipes be replaced with the gear piece. would get rid of boring gameplay and inventory clutter.
- potterworld's gameplay loop is: start - stop - start - stop
- other games' gameplay loop is: start - continue - continue further
- only real way to level is classes, other ways don't benefit half of the levels or are just too little to even matter unless you literally grind all night
- players don't balance their gear, they just go for the raw damage and health and are completely fine
- all gear drops are rng, if you want to go for a good set you can't do anything about it except grind or hope someone is selling it
- very little gear changes since revelius released. probably because they added 1000 gear items to the game and now have to deal with changing them all
- lack of communication for half a year has led to me losing confidence in the staff team

Last edited:

Zmiya

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Zmiy
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
So I don't have anything super specific to say about this topic, but I will say this: since Curse Breaker became a role about 3 weeks ago, we've already begun working on fixing and reworking a lot of stuff. Know that this process will take time. I don't have anything specific to say because there's nothing final that we're working on fixing. We've learned a lot from Revelius and we're going to make sure that we don't make any of the same mistakes. We really really want to make any changes the most ideal for players. Just know that we are listening to you and we're constantly discussing these suggestions.

Mallaidh

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: scarvlover
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
I really agree with a lot of the points made here, and think that you have every right to lose trust in staff because you feel like theres been a lack of communication. Hopefully through making suggestions like this and making an attempt more for both staff and players to speak out to each other about what they want out of things can create a change.

I think you really did a good job of pointing out the exact problem that a lot of people, including myself, are finding with the current style of Potterworld, but I couldn't quite put it into words my exact problem.

Last edited:

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
I really agree with a lot of the points made here, and think that you have every right to lose trust in staff because you feel like theres been a lack of communication. Hopefully through making suggestions like this and making an attempt more for both staff and players to speak out to each other about what they want out of things can create a change.

I think you really did a good job of pointing out the exact problem that a lot of people, including myself, are finding with the current style of Potterworld, but I couldn't quite put it into words my exact problem.
The last video wasn't a reply to that particular staff member, rather than to the whole process of change on PW when it comes to listening to feedback and acting up on it.

However, as I am now aware that voicing a negative opinion when someone might think it's disrespectful is not allowed on Potterworld forums as shown by the fact that I've been issued a warning along with my post being deleted and your reply being tied to now nonexisting comment.

Praise Potterworld and professionalism 🤖 beep boop. Have a nice day

Ashh

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: AzureAsh
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Game Designer Lead
Heya @Magma, and everyone else who is interested in the topic of gear! Thank you so much for the detailed feedback you have given us in this thread. We appreciate your point of view and have considered your feedback carefully.

We have recently released a gear rework that we have been working on for some time. If you have not yet seen the changes in this rework, you can see them here. The gear rework will hopefully help solve some of the points you bring up in your feedback. Therefore, we will be marking this feedback as completed.

Now that the rework is out, we will turn our attention to the leveling issues on the server. We will be sending out a feedback form in the coming weeks where you will be able to let us know your thoughts about the changes we made to gear once you have had the chance to play with the changes. We hope you like the update!