DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Get Copyright from Harry Potter

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joe_Magus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
I think what Lord Celevelort is saying is - They are going to build their own Harry Potter Inspired universe for their own server and then use the Witchcraft and Wizardy mod on it - because only the real Harry Potter Universe names will do for them and nothing else is good enough! :) I think that's what was meant. The problem here is if Lord Clevelort then adds a donation service or store to their server, It would be Copyright Infringement, and they would be told to change it or take it down and if they didn't they would be summoned to court for breaking the law and probably sued.
Copyright infringement (colloquially referred to as piracy) is the unlawful use of works protected by copyright law without permission for a usage where such permission is required, thereby infringing certain exclusive rights granted to the copyright holder, such as the right to reproduce, distribute, display or perform the protected work, or to make derivative works. The copyright holder is typically the work's creator, or a publisher or other business to whom copyright has been assigned. Copyright holders routinely invoke legal and technological measures to prevent and penalize copyright infringement.

Copyright infringement disputes are usually resolved through direct negotiation, a notice and take down process, or litigation in civil court. Egregious or large-scale commercial infringement, especially when it involves counterfeiting, is sometimes prosecuted via the criminal justice system.

Also Witchcraft and Wizardy is only coop up to 4 players and if you change the code at all to make it so you use the map but not the mechanics - you will also be infringing on witchcraft and wizardry's copyrights too, as Malla said. I just looked at the W&W map for the first time - and its safe to say - PW takes it by a mile :p

Side note - People probably wouldn't want you saying you know who's name in the real HP universe either :D

Last edited:

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
If there will be someone, who makes it in multiplayer, it's ME.
"If there will be someone, who makes it in multiplayer recieves a Cease and Desist letter, it's ME."

FTFY (I hope you were joking and aren't really trying to get in trouble with WarnerBros and JKR)

I just looked at the W&W map for the first time - and its safe to say - PW takes it by a mile :p
It's the exact opposite for me, the map is much more detailed and feels more alive. (as a bonus runs better) However, there's no "Congratulations" from people :/

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
yeah it would be cool for this to happen but it just wont and it isnt fair on the staff who work on the lore stuff

also there is the legal stuff, which idk much about - using a couple words, one or two spells, from original HP is fine and not likely that u could be copyrighted, but much more than that then it's a different story.

and there are a few public Harry Potter servers that use the official names (I don't believe I'm allowed to say, not sure so I just wont if u want to know them PM me :D), and these servers could be copyrighted - but what JK Rowling doesn't know, won't hurt her.

mn614

Magician
Staff
Minecraft IGN: mn614
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Raven Lore Master SPEW
So as a member of the Lore Team, we try to get as close as possible without creating a replica! It's essential to think of Potterworld as much more than Harry Potter; we have unique towns, quests, items, and more. It would cost a fortune, and as Joe_Magus concisely remarked, server administrators would have to sell their very souls. Additionally, there's a very slim chance that J.K. Rowling/Warner Bros. would even agree. The sever has built upon Harry Potter lore and evolved into its own entity. One of the main issues is that we do have a store, and thus are making money from the server. It is not in accordance with international laws to profit off of someone else's work! In addition, many names do not have a lore name, which is especially noticeable in classes. This is because classes (especially ones such as Magical Cuisine, Magical Debate, etc.) are similar to "fan discussions" of characters or events from the Wizarding World, and thus copyright laws do not apply. I believe that the Potterworld towns are incredibly well made, and the subject of hard and fantastic work. To get rid of them would be unthinkable, in my opinion! I also believe that not being able to say You Know Who's name is a fun, immersive Easter egg, rather than a restriction. I do understand your preference for the terms that we all know and love, or even grew up with, but for now it is simply impractical. As luckiestblock so politely pointed out, it would definitely place an unwanted restriction on creativity, which is something I personally view as extremely detrimental, considering my current position.

Mallaidh

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: scarvlover
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
not being able to say You Know Who's name is a fun, immersive Easter egg, rather than a restriction
I totally forgot about this before, and I may have remembered wrong as it was years back now and I have memory loss, but I think the name changing to 'You Know Who' was around before lore? If so, and my memory hasn't completely failed me, then you wouldn't be able to say it even if lore didn't exist on Potterworld.

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
i have no issue with PW using their own lore i think it's cool and as said they can be more creative

the only thing i find annoying is how it automatically changes "Gryff!ndor" to "Griffins" - i dont see the need for this really

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
Well I only saw it on the trailer - but I think the castle just looks so much smaller!
Ah, well, physically it is smaller, but it feels much more alive and it follows the movies much more - it feels real. For example, The Fat Lady painting leading to Griffin common room is on the stairs, rather than at the end of a 3rd empty hallway.

mckenna varulv ❦

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: xokenna
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW
The new names (Hogsworth (Hogwarts), Hogsend (hogsend)) are confusing me.
While it does confuse me too, it is not likely Potterworld would get copyright. It would cost lots of money, and as other people mentioned, people on the Lore team wouldn't have a job anymore. I love the Potterworld lore, and learning about it is fascinating.

sewerratss

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: sewerratss
Dark Follower Raven Vampire
I totally forgot about this before, and I may have remembered wrong as it was years back now and I have memory loss, but I think the name changing to 'You Know Who' was around before lore? If so, and my memory hasn't completely failed me, then you wouldn't be able to say it even if lore didn't exist on Potterworld.
this is correct! I can confirm as an old 2016 player c:

Ashh

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: AzureAsh
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Game Designer Lead
Hey there Lord Clevelort, and everyone who took the time to leave a reply on this thread! We really appreciate you bringing up your concerns to us through this suggestion. We definitely understand where you are coming from, but unfortunately, this is not possible for us to do.

The server has slowly been working on creating our own lore, and Potterworld has essentially created its own universe. We have also been working on creating new lore on top of the lore that has a canon equivalent, and this creates great opportunities to expand our universe further and create more unique content for the server.

We have a whole team that is a part of the staff team who are dedicated to specifically creating new lore for the server. If we got copyright, all of their previous work and current work would mean nothing and we would have to scrap it all and most likely the position. This would be incredibly unfair to previous and current Lore members.

Additionally, gaining copyright rights from WB Studios would likely be very expensive, and is generally not something that we are interested in doing overall. Due to the above, we will unfortunately be declining this suggestion.