DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Have time reminders with written assignment classes

TastyWasabi

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: JackJacque
Raven
I have attended various creative writing classes and find that sometimes I am caught off guard when the professor announces one minute left, or just randomly collects in all the work without giving us any time reminder or warning, this results in me having to mail in the assignment; consequently I get lower grades and thus less AC then would normally be given if it was handed in on time, it also means I earn no HP from my work which is demotivating and, I believe, is a bit unfair...

Although we can ask for the time left in each class I feel it would be easier and more efficient for the professors to give out a five minute and one minute compulsory reminder for students so they have time to wrap up their stories and 'turnin' on time allowing them to get the full credit they deserve for the work and saving them from the hassle of mailing in their assignments, the hassle of the professors having to mark it outside of class time, and stops the long time a student has to wait for their assignment to be marked - which in my experience can take several days ( which is of course completely not the fault of the professors/staff as they do have a whole life outside of Potterworld)

It also ensures that they get the full credit they deserve for the piece and students don't have to worry about asking for the time in chat, which can be tedious, tiresome and not as helpful in comparison to having set reminders - although together, both methods would work well.

In conclusion, giving a five minute and one minute (or any set time) reminder would make the professor and students experience easier and reduce the amount of mail-in assignments saving time for everyone in the long run,

thanks for taking the time to read my suggestion <3

Kira Frogg

Graduate
Staff
Minecraft IGN: KiraTheHouseElf
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Serpent Vampire Sr. Professor Scribe Publisher
Hey! I would like to put my thoughts about this suggestion. I personally have attended so many note classes as well as helped in a few since I became a Class helper on this server. Professors tend to give a 5 minute warning and inform students to begin wrapping up their assignment. There may be times however where the warning is not given about the time remaining which may have been what happened in your situation. This has happened once to me before and I understand how it can be frustrating, but it did teach me to take it upon myself and set a timer of how long is left to write my assignment.

Zmiya

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Zmiy
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
When I was a Professor, I built a timer that would display a hologram counting down from a certain number of minutes depending on what the professor chooses, and obviously one of the options is for 45 minutes. The hologram was in various places in the classroom so that anyone could check how much time is left straight from their seat! Hopefully this will be integrated into more classes soon and that more people use it because I know my students found it very convenient :D

FlatJambo

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: FlatJambo
Honeybadger Auralock
As an avid writer, I want to know how much time is left so I can plan out my story accordingly; if there is a good amount of time left, I can make it a tad longer and the storyline a bit more complex. If not, I have to change the plot and shorten it. Asking the professor by doing /rh isn't always helpful because Class Helpers or teachers don't always get to your question right away. I then get anxious because I don't know how much time is left. I know that this isn't the case for everyone but for me, it's a very big stressor. If there was a command for it or a hologram in every class, it would help out so many players. People wouldn't constantly be asking how much time is left. I know there are 15, 10, and 5-minute warnings. However, for many, it is not enough. I personally lose track of time when I am writing and don't want to waste any time by waiting for my question to be answered.

In summary, please add a command that gives the time or set up a hologram with a clock.

Ashh

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: AzureAsh
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Game Designer Lead
Heya to everyone who interacted with this thread, as well as the creator!

Thanks for dedicating time to writing up a suggestion on these forums! We understand the importance of being able to see how long you have left in a class when writing an assignment, as it might interrupt students' flow of writing and they might have less time than they think. I will be marking this thread as accepted, as many professors already include time reminders during notes classes near the end, as mentioned previously on this thread. Additionally, Academics is currently working on something that will assist students in class to be able to see how long they have left to finish an assignment. Once again, we appreciate your suggestion, so thank you!